Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2017 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2017  (Read 121700 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #175 on: October 18, 2017, 12:07:03 PM

Getting really tired of people claiming anthem protests are having a negative effect on NFL ratings... It's low hanging fruit so I understand, but it still pisses me off.

I'm sure it causes some people to not watch, but I think if people were intellectually honest with themselves the time it takes to watch a full NFL game and get bombarded with literally the same ad lineup every 7 minutes for 4 minutes has a much bigger impact on ratings than the protests.

That and I think QB play continues to be an issue.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #176 on: October 18, 2017, 12:58:51 PM

Getting really tired of people claiming anthem protests are having a negative effect on NFL ratings... It's low hanging fruit so I understand, but it still pisses me off.

I'm sure it causes some people to not watch, but I think if people were intellectually honest with themselves the time it takes to watch a full NFL game and get bombarded with literally the same ad lineup every 7 minutes for 4 minutes has a much bigger impact on ratings than the protests.

That and I think QB play continues to be an issue.

QB play, shitty refs, the less violent NFL, ads, etc. Anthem protests wouldn't even be an issue if the sports news didn't make it a clutch-your-pearls thing.

Bring back MADDEN in the booth!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: October 18, 2017, 03:58:15 PM

"At the end of the day, the team with the most points wins!" Anyone can be Madden. Get drunk, smash yourself in the face with a 2x4, and yell all your commentary. You'll do fine.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #178 on: October 19, 2017, 08:32:07 PM

Makes me chuckle every time that KC has a linebacker named Zombo.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:59 PM

Makes me chuckle every time that KC has a linebacker named Zombo.

The unattainable is unknown!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #180 on: October 20, 2017, 07:36:48 AM

So in complete opposition to the norm, the Thursday night game was a really good game. Amari Cooper finally took the oven mitts off and managed to catch some passes, even for touchdowns (and thanks to the NFL Network for telling me that Cooper had a good game last year against the Chiefs, it made me make a last minute adjustment to my lineup - Carr and Cooper got me 60+ points). Those color rush uniforms are still fuckugly as shit. Kudos to Marshawn Lynch for coming off the sidelines in a play he wasn't even involved in and trying to stick up for his QB, which also involved him tussling with a ref and actually grabbing the ref's jersey. SO LONG MARSHAWN, way to get tossed the fuck out of the game you were barely involved in anyway. If you didn't see the last minute of the game, go find a replay because that shit was NUTS. There were 2, yes 2 untimed plays that happened AFTER THE GAME WAS OVER because of 2 penalties (3 of the last 4 plays from scrimmage had some kind of penalty). Again, totally nuts.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 20, 2017, 12:00:36 PM

Was a good game. I'd be pissed if I was the KC offense though putting up 30 and losing because your D can't defend the redzone without holding every play.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 23, 2017, 06:25:36 AM

wtf happened to the Falcons offense? You even made the Pats D look good??

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 23, 2017, 07:02:42 AM

wtf happened to the Falcons offense? You even made the Pats D look good??

or maybe Matt Patricia's guys are starting to gel.

Pretty sure we are now entering Hue Jackson's dead man walking phase. Unless he rattles off the next 3 as wins, he's done. Possibly the front office too... though I don't think that happens till we can con Manning into working there.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #184 on: October 23, 2017, 07:11:57 AM

The CBs are coming along, being able to mostly cover Julio was impressive.

I found that game especially enjoyable because of the fog. The use of the hover camera was pretty amazing, like a video game pov. I hope they integrate that into regular broadcasts, it was great seeing the coverages from the qb's pov, as well as the holes (or nah) in the line from the rb's pov. And following the rb through the play? Really cool.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #185 on: October 23, 2017, 07:18:41 AM

I decided to skip the evening game because I felt it was a foregone conclusion. Looks like I was right. The video game perspective is apparently something the NBC folks have talked about using more, but the logistics of it make it something they couldn't do for every game or even the majority of every game. For starters, each SkyCam takes like 2-3 operators (pilot and camera guy at least) and not every broadcast has the 2 Skycams they did last night (most have just one).

I did watch the Packers game and it was pretty awful. The Saints were definitely a team that were beatable - Drew Brees threw 2 picks in the first quarter. What happened after those 2 picks? Both of them were 3-and-outs. Brett Hundley is a back up QB and his accuracy was for shit, but even more than that, McCarthy/the OC's playcalling was shit. They were clearly afraid to give him too many passes, and thought that Aaron Jones' running could win them the game. While Jones is a really good runner (and what looks like a steal of the draft as a 5th rounder), the offense is not built to just pound the rock. Somehow, they have to let Hundley win the game and when he was given the chance, he didn't. (Hint: he wasn't given the chance with 6 minutes to go, down 2 scores so by the time he got it back, it was too late). McCarthy and Capers' shitty coaching is really going to get exposed here.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 23, 2017, 07:32:01 AM

Meh, the pass rush is still shit, Butler played better for sure. Ironic that Gilmore especially was out last night. (Rowe was too).

I'm still highly suspicious of the Pat's D.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: October 23, 2017, 08:27:19 AM

For sure. Chung is nowhere near at the level he should be, but Van Noy has been solid along with Butler. But they /really/ needed to get their CBs up to speed. Hopefully now that positions are tightening up play they can focus on squad tactics a bit.

Although going against a team that struggles to even score...

An Haemmy, I do agree. Seems like the coaching got lazy because Rogers could always pull a comeback out of his butt.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #188 on: October 23, 2017, 09:45:23 AM

The Falcons offense is garbage right now so I wouldn't use them as a yardstick. I've warned for years that the Falcons will always make you think for a year they are really good, then correctly shit the bed when all the fluky luck runs out.

The OC is a recovering alcoholic who calls plays like he's still drinking.

Nobody on the receiving core can do anything except Julio, who is getting double and triple covered because he's the best player on the field.

They paid an average RB who was a 4th round pick a 12.5M signing bonus AHEAD of when his contract was up because they are fucking morons in the front office.

Matt Ryan is not an MVP. Matt Ryan had an MVP year last season because he was on the ONE team in the NFL who never had an offensive lineman hurt, and about 10 of his likely intercepted passes got dropped. Now? He's back to his average Andy Dalton self.

The head coach is a stubborn fool. He went for not one 4th and long, but TWO 4th and long plays from mid-field. One of them didn't succeed and the Pats turned it into an easy TD and a 17-0 lead at the half. It might as well have been 40-0 at that point, because the Falcons had nothing.

The coaching staff is all cliches and no substance. They have no idea how to actually produce a disciplined football squad. Even in their miracle run last year, they still gave away massive leads late in 4-5 games before they even got to the Super Bowl to give away the ultimate lead of all time. They can never live that down and they know it.

Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 23, 2017, 10:32:02 AM

The Falcons offense is garbage right now so I wouldn't use them as a yardstick. I've warned for years that the Falcons will always make you think for a year they are really good, then correctly shit the bed when all the fluky luck runs out.

The OC is a recovering alcoholic who calls plays like he's still drinking.

Nobody on the receiving core can do anything except Julio, who is getting double and triple covered because he's the best player on the field.

They paid an average RB who was a 4th round pick a 12.5M signing bonus AHEAD of when his contract was up because they are fucking morons in the front office.

Matt Ryan is not an MVP. Matt Ryan had an MVP year last season because he was on the ONE team in the NFL who never had an offensive lineman hurt, and about 10 of his likely intercepted passes got dropped. Now? He's back to his average Andy Dalton self.

The head coach is a stubborn fool. He went for not one 4th and long, but TWO 4th and long plays from mid-field. One of them didn't succeed and the Pats turned it into an easy TD and a 17-0 lead at the half. It might as well have been 40-0 at that point, because the Falcons had nothing.

The coaching staff is all cliches and no substance. They have no idea how to actually produce a disciplined football squad. Even in their miracle run last year, they still gave away massive leads late in 4-5 games before they even got to the Super Bowl to give away the ultimate lead of all time. They can never live that down and they know it.

Pish. Amateurs. You have to do it right. Decline a 15yard penalty to bring up 4th and 1, the other team goes for it and your team subsequently jumps offsides. Now THAT is how you Browns.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #190 on: October 23, 2017, 10:48:32 AM

The Falcons do it by taking stupid roughing the passer penalties two weeks in a row that negated interceptions. They are peak undisciplined.

WayAbvPar

Reply #191 on: October 23, 2017, 10:53:51 AM

Giants on bye after yesterday. MacAdoo really should be shown the door. He looks completely lost every time the camera finds him, and his team is fucking DREADFUL. The Seahawks did everything they could to gift wrap that game yesterday, but NY just wasn't in the mood to take it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #192 on: October 24, 2017, 12:41:16 PM

Man, if you guys did not watch the Monday Night Football game last night, you missed Carson Wentz just straight up playing like a boss. He was decent last year, but now that he's actually got weapons, he could be MVP caliber. Look for the highlights on his escape from a sack or some of the TD's he threw. The kid is really good. The Eagles seem to have a little trouble with their zone coverage over the middle (may be because they are 2 starting LB's down) but other than that, this looks like the best team in the NFC. I'm not sure how they'd stack up to New England in a Super Bowl but probably better than the Falcons.

So both Jared Goff and Wentz are good now that they have decent teams around them (and are not being coached by Jeff Fisher), while Cleveland is yet again trying to decide whether to bench the rookie QB they drafted in the first round (after having traded away the opportunity to get one of those two guys last season). Oh and they are also shitting all over that rookie QB for being seen in a bar (but not drinking or acting a fool) the night before a game.

YOU KEEP FUCKING THAT CHICKEN, CLEVELAND. YOU DO YOU.

Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: October 24, 2017, 12:58:12 PM

Man, if you guys did not watch the Monday Night Football game last night, you missed Carson Wentz just straight up playing like a boss. He was decent last year, but now that he's actually got weapons, he could be MVP caliber. Look for the highlights on his escape from a sack or some of the TD's he threw. The kid is really good. The Eagles seem to have a little trouble with their zone coverage over the middle (may be because they are 2 starting LB's down) but other than that, this looks like the best team in the NFC. I'm not sure how they'd stack up to New England in a Super Bowl but probably better than the Falcons.

So both Jared Goff and Wentz are good now that they have decent teams around them (and are not being coached by Jeff Fisher), while Cleveland is yet again trying to decide whether to bench the rookie QB they drafted in the first round (after having traded away the opportunity to get one of those two guys last season). Oh and they are also shitting all over that rookie QB for being seen in a bar (but not drinking or acting a fool) the night before a game.

YOU KEEP FUCKING THAT CHICKEN, CLEVELAND. YOU DO YOU.

Why you got to do me like that man? But hey... I was all for Big Ben light but Sashi and his band of merry suits and diplomas decided on the 'no thanks' thing. Analytics my ass.

and Kizer was out on Friday night... so not even the night before a game, which makes it all the better.... There really is no excuses now. The Rams were utter crap for the last two years and now that they have a team in first place midway through the season? This shit happens everywhere BUT Cleveland. Detroit ffs... the team with the only 0-16 record in history is actually playoff contending.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: October 24, 2017, 01:35:58 PM

I was wicked impressed with Wentz. Great pocket presence, vision, reading, scrambling and accuracy. Good on 'im. I like seeing talented players surrounded by a system that lets them do their thing. He also seems like a tough mother, which is always nice in a QB as long as they don't start feeling superheroic and get too beat up.

I haven't seen Goff yet this season, I only saw him getting trounced by the Pats last season once. But the game summaries I've seen look good.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: October 24, 2017, 05:32:00 PM

I don't root for the Browns anymore. This year I'm pulling for the Eagles because my stepdad is from Philly. It's weird watching a game and not automatically assuming you're going to lose.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: October 24, 2017, 06:24:20 PM

I don't root for the Browns anymore. This year I'm pulling for the Eagles because my stepdad is from Philly. It's weird watching a game and not automatically assuming you're going to lose.

Funny that. Father-in-law is a big Eagles fan in Lancaster, PA.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #197 on: October 24, 2017, 10:12:28 PM

Meh, the pass rush is still shit, Butler played better for sure. Ironic that Gilmore especially was out last night. (Rowe was too).

I'm still highly suspicious of the Pat's D.

The pass rush has never been amazing, it's more that they tend to routinely put just enough pressure on the pocket to force suboptimal decision making, then capitalise with aggressive midfield play.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #198 on: October 26, 2017, 08:23:10 PM

Holy shit, Miami cannot block tonight.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: October 26, 2017, 08:34:43 PM

Their goonery has been on point though.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #200 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:46 AM

Yeah, Kiko Alonso and Suh can just go fuck right off. Both of them should have been ejected. As a matter of fact, I think the NFL ought to start using red cards if they are really serious about player safety (they are not). Alonso should have been ejected immediately, no questions in my mind whatsoever. He practically took Flacco's fucking head clean off. Suh you could maybe have an argument against it but he's still a fucking dirty asshole.

Of course, after watching the NFL Network's talking heads give Matt Moore the sloppiest blowjob since any broadcast of a Tom Brady game, watching Miami go out and lay an egg was somewhat satisfying.

Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: October 27, 2017, 09:53:44 AM

Yeah, Kiko Alonso and Suh can just go fuck right off. Both of them should have been ejected. As a matter of fact, I think the NFL ought to start using red cards if they are really serious about player safety (they are not). Alonso should have been ejected immediately, no questions in my mind whatsoever. He practically took Flacco's fucking head clean off. Suh you could maybe have an argument against it but he's still a fucking dirty asshole.

Of course, after watching the NFL Network's talking heads give Matt Moore the sloppiest blowjob since any broadcast of a Tom Brady game, watching Miami go out and lay an egg was somewhat satisfying.

As much as I'd like to ride along this anti-kiki trip, I can't fault the guy for it. With as many protections QBs have even when running the ball past the line, there is a bit of uneven rule play against the def. I've seen plenty of Qbs run the ball, fake the defense with a lean back and get a few more yards... Rogers is text book when working the rules against hitting QBs. Everyone on the def knows they will draw a flag if the QB even looks like he's started his slide so that can by an extra few yards if the QB so chooses. Once the def challenges this, all the sudden they are the bad guys. Besides, by the time Flacco changed his body to 'give himself up' Kiki was already midtackle -  it wasn't even a true slide as he was trying for the 1st down marker and then some. Defenses are just supposed to give up at that point? Might as well go to flags.

Suh is a different story as there is a ton of past there. But wtf was Mallet thinking trying to step up against Suh and making first contact. I mean come on... either that kid is dumb as a rock or he was baiting.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #202 on: October 27, 2017, 09:54:43 AM

Make no mistake, Ryan Mallett is dumb as a rock.  why so serious?

Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: October 31, 2017, 06:40:03 AM

So this weekend happened and the Browns misery continues. Wentz is basically carrying the MVP honors in his back pocket now, Watson battles against the aging but still damn good Seattle D, and they lost again. But no one cares about that... Miller from the Bears almost loses a leg, literally ah-la-Bridgewater style. New Orleans is for real. Buffalo seems to be rolling. East is West... dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

But we really want to shake things up with the trade circus. Most make sense... one is a wtf in my book.

Jimmy G to San Fran. Makes sense...

D. Brown goes to help the O-line in Seattle couple days after playing against them (for the lulz). Again makes sense....

Jay Ajayi to Eagles. ummm, WUT?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #204 on: October 31, 2017, 07:34:32 AM

The Ajayi trade was a stunner to me. Yes, Miami sucks balls this season but that, more than anything else, signaled to me that the Dolphins have given up on the season. Fuck it, let's try to get a high draft pick. Maybe they can find a QB that's better than Tannehill who may not even be that good. For a team with as many offensive weapons as they have, to suck so hard on offense is pretty unforgivable. But this trade just feels like giving up. Philadelphia, meanwhile, just solidified their lock on the NFC Championship, IMO. Wentz is playing too well, they have three good receivers, their defensive line is solid and with a 1-2 punch of Blount/Ajayi, I think they can beat any team in the NFC right now. Then they get to play either New England or Pittsburgh (no I do not believe in the Chiefs and no one else has been consistently good enough).

Speaking of the Chiefs, they won last night but it was as much about their defense and the shitty Denver offense as anything. I'm pretty much convinced now that Trevor Siemian is a backup QB at best because he made some dumb as fuck throws that he had no business making and got picked. It doesn't help that the only receiver on the team who isn't wearing oven mitts is Demarius Thomas (Emmanuel Sanders being hurt). Guys were dropping first downs and touchdowns left and right. And unlike boring ass Kubiak, Vance Joseph doesn't really seem to committed to just running the ball when that works. The only reason the score was even close is because the Denver defense kept the Chiefs from scoring touchdowns, making them settle for field goals.

And speaking of teams with less talent than they should have, the Redskins lost to the Cowboys, mainly because their receivers appear to be trash and their offensive line has more injuries than a goddamn school bus going off a cliff. They got rid of two good veteran receivers in the offseason to give touches to Jamison Crowder and Josh Doctson, and it looks like neither of them was ready for the elevation in importance.

Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: October 31, 2017, 08:22:18 AM

And speaking of teams with less talent than they should have, the Redskins lost to the Cowboys, mainly because their receivers appear to be trash and their offensive line has more injuries than a goddamn school bus going off a cliff. They got rid of two good veteran receivers in the offseason to give touches to Jamison Crowder and Josh Doctson, and it looks like neither of them was ready for the elevation in importance.

Agreed on the AJAAYAYAYAYAYA trade. I guess it shouldn't be a shock as they were looking at trading for Gore earlier, but I mean wtf Miami?

Side note on the washington team, taking Pryor off Cleveland is about the only shining spot for the Browns...they actually seemed to luck into a positive WR release given every other WR they got rid of suddenly did well on other teams (barring the brain meltdown safety by Chargers Benji).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: October 31, 2017, 11:43:26 AM

I'm pretty much convinced now that Trevor Siemian is a backup QB at best because he made some dumb as fuck throws that he had no business making and got picked. It doesn't help that the only receiver on the team who isn't wearing oven mitts is Demarius Thomas
At best. Though he did look a bit better in the 2nd half, the lack of vision and decision making seemed pretty uncoachable. Just so many bad decisions.

Bummed NE traded Garropolo to SF. Maybe they can pick up Kaep and Belichick can stomp him into submission with a Surface tablet.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: October 31, 2017, 01:27:13 PM

Oh god I'd love for the Pats to pick up Kaep and the cognitive dissonance it would create for so many people.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: November 06, 2017, 07:25:10 PM

Aaron Rodgers may be the greatest player to ever play the game because look at that team now...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:17:01 AM by Mithas »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #209 on: November 07, 2017, 06:10:38 AM

Aaron Rodgers may be the greatest player to every play the game because look at that team now...

Haemish will firmly tell you the only reason the Packers have been remotely playoff worthy is because Rodgers is obscenely talented.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2017  
Jump to: