Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Apple news 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Apple news  (Read 23702 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #70 on: November 05, 2016, 10:38:59 PM

In my experience our Macs require a LOT more janitoring for basic shit like printing than our windows machines. On the windows side we spend most of our time troubleshooting bad engineering software that runs poorly on any OS it supports. Our mac users typically have their printers and drive mappings stop working, or their time machines conk out, or Outlook is fucked up, or any number of really basic office things that don't work.

The Surface Book is way not worth the asking price IMO for the hardware you get. We've had a lot of them come through where I work and they're built really well (even though the first one we had bricked itself when we detached the screen) but it was awfully salty for what you got.

Apple now makes phones that bend and cables that don't.
I have the top of the line Surface book. It's fucking amazing good. I use it literally every day.
I thought it was great hardware, it just seemed really overpriced.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 06, 2016, 05:00:45 AM

For your average non-enterprise user, network shared print queue mappings and drive mappings are not something that will ever come up.

Using samba to connect to SMB shares is flaky as hell, I hear the linux guys around campus here bitching about it all the time. Also, I have people have issues with mapped drives disappearing on Windows machines in an entirely windows shop.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 01:11:34 PM

Seconding the ridiculousness of print management.  It took me 45 minutes last week to figure out how to change the default of a network printer from duplex to single-sided because there weren't any settings for it in the main printer management section.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 02:47:25 PM

It's really not intuitive on Mac for large enterprise printers unless somehow CUPS magically detects all the various attachments and duplexers and shit and everyone is just doing it wrong.

You need the software for the specific printer, the user needs to know the specific model of printer to select that software, then you need to know all of the attachments and finishers to use them because it doesn't seem to be able to detect it.

And somehow the keychain is even shittier than Windows Credential manager for domain printers.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 03:26:34 PM

CUPS really wants someone on the backend to configure things to work right. That's what we had to do with the Macs at the design firm. My report was in charge of print services and learned CUPs from our Mac consultant. He had things working great on large format printers as well as a Xerox document workstation with Finisher, Duplexer, Additional tray and hole punch. 

Not that the Mac users ever got it working right themselves because they kept trying to manually change settings on the printer when we told them not to.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Apple news  
Jump to: