Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:54:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Logan (aka Wolverine 3, aka Old Man Logan) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Logan (aka Wolverine 3, aka Old Man Logan)  (Read 39623 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 05, 2017, 02:04:47 PM

Quite a lot of the most gruesome violence takes place out of the view of the camera

Um.  We differ clearly on what you think is 'out of the view of the camera'.  The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that's obscured is X-23 severing a head.  The rest is pretty fucking explicit and IN YOUR FACE.  Logan in the Hallway pretty much the definition of in your face.

When we went today, two wee bawbags were getting refused entry because they were clearly underage.  I'm glad of it, because this is frankly a grown up film in every sense of the word, bar the sexual one.  I suspect those going in simply for superhero pew pew wouldn't even enjoy it for that reason and also because at heart it's a Western.  Think more of 3:10 to Yuma with X-Men.

But God, what a great film.  That wee lassie that played Laura was absolutely mesmerising.  Some real talent there, I think.

Glad I went.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 05, 2017, 04:36:00 PM

There was a mom (maybe grandma) with two pre-teen daughters, probably barely 10yrs old if that, right behind me laughing it up excitedly before the movie started; like they were about to see a Pixar film.  She seemed clueless from the start (for a variety of reasons).  I looked dead at her, smiled, and giggled and went about my business.  Didn't warn them or anything.   I heard not a hair drop from them the entire movie... once the opening Deadpool2 trailer happened, the mic had been dropped.

End credits role, I look back again and the lady looked like she had literally lost a pint of blood.  Ghostly.  Aghast.  Kids were just sitting there like they just learned Santa Claus wasn't real, or they were adopted, or something.  I felt bad at that point.  But also good.   awesome, for real   That family will never be the same.  

I was more fearful of the crazy-eyed, rather attractive lady next to me on her date.  She was laughing maniacally during a great many scene (like she forgot her Zoloft), while her date was all like "who the fuck is this next to me."  The girl on the other side of me (also on a date) was a Wolverine fanatic and was crying voluminously at the end while her man "consoled" her.

Moral:  this is not the Avengers
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:42:38 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #72 on: March 05, 2017, 05:19:31 PM

Man you got all the interesting people.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 05, 2017, 05:30:08 PM

I still think Ghambit is a gimmick account.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 05, 2017, 05:33:25 PM

Reminds me of a girl I saw Blar Witch with.  She was laughing really, really hard at all the times nobody should be laughing.  Pretty sure everyone around us found her creepier than the movie.  We stayed friends until we could become acquaintances.

I thought Logan was about as good as Days of Future Past.  There's an even better movie in there, but it would probably require a longer cut.  The violence was crucial to the story, but the scenes between were even more important and should have been expanded.  I could watch an entire movie of Wolverine, Charles and Laura going to the mall, for instance.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 05, 2017, 05:40:37 PM

The showing I went to had a bunch of 9-10 year olds in it. I *might* have brought a mature 11 or 12-year old. It's not really the violence, it's the serious menace to children in a way that feels more real than Hunger Games etc. plus the fairly painful and adult emotional stuff going on between Logan and Xavier, which is about one thousand times more real than any superhero movie before ever ever. Like, almost human.

The comparison to classic westerns is invited extremely (almost too) explicitly and it largely fits. This is not a superhero movie. It is a superhero movie. It shows a good way forward for them.

I am the biggest comics geek ever and even I'm like, "Fuck another by the numbers spandex-fest: it's got to do something different or I don't want it."
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 05, 2017, 06:01:18 PM

I still think Ghambit is a gimmick account.

Good.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 05, 2017, 07:44:52 PM

It was not the movie I expected to see by any means. I think the scene I enjoyed the most was dinner scene at the Munsons.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #78 on: March 05, 2017, 09:11:59 PM

I went to see a matinee of this after seeing all the raving in this thread and I'm glad I did.  How did this movie manage to be so much better than any other movie in the series?  Fuck.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 06, 2017, 07:34:47 AM

It has just been pointed out to me that the chap who did this also did 3:10 to Yuma.  I did not know this when I posted, but clearly I picked up on the influence.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 06, 2017, 08:05:14 AM

This was a good ending to the Hugh Jackman run as wolverine and Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier. Some of the fights were a bit of a cgi fest but they worked well. It was a fun movie / sad movie. The little girl rocked her part. 

Also for whatever reason the showing I went to last night brought the weirdos out. We had one of those people laughing out loud at all the wrong times. He was on the other side of the theater and we could hear almost every word he was saying and his cackling was just a tad nutters. His poor date kept looking down shaking her head. There were several children with one being around 6. His father was rather pale when I saw him in the lobby after the show.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 06, 2017, 08:09:46 AM

What kind of fucking idiot takes a 6 year old to that ?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #82 on: March 06, 2017, 08:33:23 AM

Same type who buys GTA games for their grade-schoolers, I imagine.  I used to think it was that all those parents who complain about the violence they expose their children to by buying them violent video games weren't sharp enough to understand that ESRB ratings work about the same as the MPAA ratings they grew up with; I've since revised my opinion to be that all those parents aren't sharp enough to be allowed out of their houses unsupervised.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 06, 2017, 10:31:06 AM

As I pondered the performances after the movie...  The girl who played X-23 is about to become quite the known celebrity.  No doubt.  It was a HomeAlone level of small child performance, easily... and if she doesn't get an award nod, I would be extremely surprised.  Helluva performance in a role that basically has NEVER been done on the bigscreen for a kid that age; ever.  Or at least I can't think of any.

Comparable to Chloe Grace Moretz as Hit Girl in Kick Ass? Keeping in mind that Chloe was 11 when she filmed Kick Ass.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 06, 2017, 10:36:33 AM

I'm a big fan of Chloe ;  this performance blew any of hers out the water.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 06, 2017, 10:43:10 AM

Honestly I think this was more violent than Kick Ass. Or at least a far less tongue in cheek movie, although I guess from a physical acting perspective it's pretty similar.

Holy fuck this movie was good although minor grip: (plot spoiler)
Everything else about it really, really worked though. I'm not sure how it fits in the X franchise, is it the Third Wolverine movie or is it the follow up to Days of Future Past and Apocalypse? Because in the Wolverine movies it's notable that the series went from bad, to mediocre to awesome for me. Either way it's impressive they've managed to make the final installment one of, if not probably the, best of the whole series.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #86 on: March 06, 2017, 10:44:09 AM

The same sort of idiot who sits there the WHOLE movie with said 6-year old and doesn't just wander out to another movie or see how understanding the management is about refunds that night.

I often wonder how often the people with kids go to the self-serve kiosks vs. the ticket windows. I have a giant "R" with red background next to the movie name AND a pop-up that says "This movie is Rated R and we may check IDs"  If they're getting that and still pale afterwards they deserve the therapy bills for the kids.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 06, 2017, 10:51:20 AM

The same guy that leaves his cell phone ringer on high and cannot figure out how to mute it. (Yep he did that as well)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 06, 2017, 01:32:22 PM

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #89 on: March 06, 2017, 02:16:13 PM

That said, obviously that stuff wasn't the point of the movie, so whatever.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 06, 2017, 02:47:35 PM

Honestly I think this was more violent than Kick Ass. Or at least a far less tongue in cheek movie, although I guess from a physical acting perspective it's pretty similar.

Holy fuck this movie was good although minor grip: (plot spoiler)
Everything else about it really, really worked though. I'm not sure how it fits in the X franchise, is it the Third Wolverine movie or is it the follow up to Days of Future Past and Apocalypse? Because in the Wolverine movies it's notable that the series went from bad, to mediocre to awesome for me. Either way it's impressive they've managed to make the final installment one of, if not probably the, best of the whole series.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 06, 2017, 03:36:31 PM

As I pondered the performances after the movie...  The girl who played X-23 is about to become quite the known celebrity.  No doubt.  It was a HomeAlone level of small child performance, easily... and if she doesn't get an award nod, I would be extremely surprised.  Helluva performance in a role that basically has NEVER been done on the bigscreen for a kid that age; ever.  Or at least I can't think of any.

Comparable to Chloe Grace Moretz as Hit Girl in Kick Ass? Keeping in mind that Chloe was 11 when she filmed Kick Ass.

Nah, I thought Chloe also.  Close, but not quite up to par with X-23 imo (Chloe's char in KickAss was more generic regardless; though an original overall concept).  Keen was probably just a tad younger as well.  I mean, they asked a 10yr old to be X-23... basically for real.  In a rated-R version of Wolverine wherein she is basically the main character.  Her parents were already in film and such; so obviously that helped.

I can't think of any other instance of such a role for a 10yr old, but would like to dig to find out though.  Regardless, she needs an award.  She, like Chloe did, defined a new space in film as the film itself did.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:38:30 PM by Ghambit »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 06, 2017, 04:12:13 PM

Natalie Portman was 12 in The Professional.

I am the .00000001428%
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 06, 2017, 05:19:35 PM

Natalie Portman was 12 in The Professional.
Apples and oranges.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:03 PM

So I shouldn't bring my 4 year old daughter?

Ah, probably not.  Lots of gruesome deaths and liberal use of fuck, mostly by Logan...and Professor X. awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:54:13 PM by Ginaz »
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 06, 2017, 11:23:43 PM

. I'm not sure how it fits in the X franchise, is it the Third Wolverine movie or is it the follow up to Days of Future Past and Apocalypse? Because in the Wolverine movies it's notable that the series went from bad, to mediocre to awesome for me. Either way it's impressive they've managed to make the final installment one of, if not probably the, best of the whole series.
I am relatively certain that it does not fit in any of the existing timeline.  It does not appear to directly follow DoFP / Apocalypse, as if it did, one would expect at least a small appearance from Sinister, based on the after credit scene in Apoc.  My personal opinion is that it is probably at best an "alternate timeline" story. 

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 06, 2017, 11:50:21 PM

Honestly, if its a good movie who cares where it fits in the timeline.

Haven't been to a movie in ages and haven't seen any of the rest of the Xmen crap since X men 3, but I may go see this. The comparison to a western, and Unforgiven in particular, has me intrigued.

Hic sunt dracones.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: March 07, 2017, 02:03:32 AM

Definitely go see it.  It is worth it for the interactions between Jackman and Stewart alone.  The acting was goddamned phenomenal.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:17 AM

It is the current timeline's future... or at least one of them.  I do not think the world without mutants will fit with Deadpool's continuities.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 10:09:10 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 11, 2017, 07:42:34 AM

swamp poop

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 11, 2017, 08:59:51 AM

Thats an appropriate emoji response, I agree.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: March 12, 2017, 05:00:32 PM

A+.

Great to see Wolverine finally really be Wolverine (aka R-rated not Pg13 crap)

Also Disney, Joss Wheedon, etc this is how you fucking do an action movie. Not with a million quick cuts and over the top special effects (I've fallen asleep in several marvel movies when they descend into that shit) but some good stuntwork, some emotion and real impact. The fight at the end had me holding my breath. So good.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 13, 2017, 06:53:31 AM

Also on the point of taking 6 year olds to a R-RATED MOVIE, isn't it also on the movie theatre staff to say 'um sir, I can't help but notice that the person with you is not near 17 years old in age'?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 13, 2017, 07:05:25 AM

Yes, it totally is, which is why I was happy when the staff at the place we were at did this multiple times.

Because apparently parenting is hard.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #104 on: March 13, 2017, 08:26:18 AM

Also on the point of taking 6 year olds to a R-RATED MOVIE, isn't it also on the movie theatre staff to say 'um sir, I can't help but notice that the person with you is not near 17 years old in age'?

It also depends on the theater. With the exception of the manger, the staff of my local theater is all under the age of 21 and probably wholly under 18. They're not likely to be comfortable confronting people 2x their age.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Logan (aka Wolverine 3, aka Old Man Logan)  
Jump to: