Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:25:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Logan (aka Wolverine 3, aka Old Man Logan) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Logan (aka Wolverine 3, aka Old Man Logan)  (Read 39642 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #105 on: March 13, 2017, 10:09:02 PM

Also on the point of taking 6 year olds to a R-RATED MOVIE, isn't it also on the movie theatre staff to say 'um sir, I can't help but notice that the person with you is not near 17 years old in age'?

They only need to be 17 years old if not accompanied by a parent or guardian. Some theaters have their own rules as well but ultimately if the kid isn't being disruptive it's a parenting issue, not a movie theater staff issue. By all means though feel free to approach a complete stranger someday and tell them you think they're failing in their role as a parent and let me know how it goes for you. I'm pretty sure Ironwood is the only one here who could pull it off.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: March 14, 2017, 12:01:12 AM

Also on the point of taking 6 year olds to a R-RATED MOVIE, isn't it also on the movie theatre staff to say 'um sir, I can't help but notice that the person with you is not near 17 years old in age'?

It also depends on the theater. With the exception of the manger, the staff of my local theater is all under the age of 21 and probably wholly under 18. They're not likely to be comfortable confronting people 2x their age.
It's also not usually worth the huffing screaming hissyfit you inevitably get from at least one parent every couple of hours when you do that because how dare you try to tell them how to parent their children.  It's bad enough when you have dumbasses trying to argue with you that they don't have to accompany their child into the movie because their say-so is all the authorization their 14 year old wanker needs to go watch by himself, while you patiently try to explain what a fucking 18A rating means in terms of legal consequences for you as a theater employee.

I have actually seen parents erupt into a practically frothing rage at some of our theater staff when questioned about weather they really should be bringing their 6 year old to a particular movie.  And that movie was way beyond what got Logan a 18A rating.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:03:21 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: March 14, 2017, 04:29:15 AM

I'm pretty sure Ironwood is the only one here who could pull it off.

It's not as hard as you think.  The trick is to be right and not give the remotest fuck about anything the other person says.

In this particular case, there's no problem in just talking to them and saying 'Not sure you're aware, but this movie is hugely, hugely, hugely violent and you might be better off going to something else and avoid the nightmare problems and the kid disturbing you at night because Evil Logan is in her wardrobe.  Yes, I'm sure the desk will allow you a refund because not telling you this at the desk was their error.'

If they then go on to say anything beyond 'thanks', just walk away from that fucking dumpster fire. On a personal note,  I'm still in awe of my mother tapping some bloke on the shoulder during Lord of the Rings and saying 'Would you like me to take your daughter out for an ice-cream, since this movie is making her shit scared ?'  4 years old and terrified of the orcs.

Some people don't get kids and that's fine.  It's hard.  They assume they're just little copies of them.  Then they don't remember the first time they snuck downstairs to watch Night of the Living Dead when they shouldn't have and couldn't sleep for fucking weeks.  Because people are fucking stupid.

For me, I can get why some parents would get all huffy and egotistical about advice, but as long as you're not a cock about it and you're sympathetic to their point of view (however fucking WRONG they may be), then it'll probably be ok.

And then Iain will show you the story of the parents treating the Pertussis kid with Titrated and Diluted Water and you just want to grab some parents and FUCKING MURDER THEM.

But hey, that's Classic Iain.   Heart

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: March 14, 2017, 08:27:21 AM

My local theater has one teenager selling tickets and he has to ask you if you want snacks when you buy your ticket because they don't have anyone to man the popcorn stand or check tickets.  The most people i saw at the theater was like six for the force awakens premiere.  You think they are going to turn down one single ticket sale just because some kid might get traumatized for life? hah.

I am the .00000001428%
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: March 14, 2017, 08:40:27 AM

Our closest theater just automated away at least 5 jobs, replaced with kiosks. They're down to 1 ticket attendant and 1 concessions stand, from 2 and 3 before. Last time we were there, they were totally overwhelmed because the kiosks were confusing older people--one touch screen that didn't seem like it should be a touch screen, and one big "PICK YOUR SEATS" display that showed a map of the theater with open seats, but the display was not a touch screen.

Unless the ticket display had a 64-point font popup of "WARNING-DISMEMBERMENT AHOY!" it looked like the only info was an icon-sized version of the movie poster, the rating, title, and showtimes, with the times in the biggest font by far. I think the let's-all-go-to-the-movies family crowd was just poking at the screen at random until they got tickets. I hope their kids enjoyed Fences. At least it was probably less traumatic than Logan would have been.

Logan was a good sendoff, and I'm glad he finally got an R-rated movie. Wolverine is not a nice guy who cares about the well-being of his opponents, unlike most heroes. Violence aside, the R rating let them do more than Baysplosions and 5-second scenes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: March 14, 2017, 08:45:15 AM

It was a truly awesome movie.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #111 on: March 14, 2017, 01:05:51 PM

My eight year old could probably handle it, on the TV. I got her started early with zombie and vampire movies, and now her only problem at them is inappropriate laughter ("Look at the vampire running down the street with his head on fire! Silly vampire, you can't walk outside in the daylight.").

But in the theater, with blood splashes and gaping wounds 6 feet tall? No, even I am not that bad at parenting.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: March 14, 2017, 10:07:13 PM

The thing with this movie, is it's not just gore.  It's the context the gore is used.  Most kids can handle lopped off heads and so forth; but the other interactions in the movie are extremely complex, moving, and mature.  It will leave most kids under 10yrs. old pretty awestruck and dumbfounded unless they're used to it for some reason.  This is exactly what the kids' behind me looked like at the end... and they sat there while the credits rolled and didn't move (there is no stinger afterwards either).

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: March 15, 2017, 12:35:22 PM

The most disturbing parts of the movie weren't even the gore, it was the flashbacks to the laboratory.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: March 15, 2017, 12:37:46 PM

I would say things like the nice family they stayed with  would also do a lot to fuck kids up.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: March 15, 2017, 08:25:10 PM

I would almost say that's the one thing that isn't disturbing for kids compared to the overall tonality of the film.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:21 AM

Agreed.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #117 on: March 25, 2017, 10:22:22 PM

I finally saw this today.

Holy fuck, this movie is an absolutely appropriate response. This may have been the most dramatic movie that happened to be about a superhero that's been done. Just the right amount of grit and naturalism without being idiotically over the top grimdark (hello, BVS:DOJ). Insanely good acting jobs by Jackman, Stewart and the kid.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: March 28, 2017, 04:25:19 AM

My daughter was scared during Moana. She was less scared during Force Awakens. She was terrified during the first episode of Super Girl with the fight scene at the end.

Kids.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #119 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:12 AM

This is really good and studios are gonna try and imitate it and fail miserably.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: April 01, 2017, 05:27:38 AM

Yeah, apparently Sony wants to reclaim Spider-Man now after loaning him to the MCU because they've gone back to the "we will build an entire franchise around Spider-characters and most of them will be R-rated villain pics" plan. As usual, your average studio executive has no idea why a distinctive, original film actually works, and so they decide it must be the most superficial things they can easily identify about it. "It's R-rated! It's violent! So that's what people want!"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: April 01, 2017, 05:49:01 AM

You know, they couldn't pick a worse hero to do that to either.  That would be retarded beyond the highest level.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #122 on: April 01, 2017, 06:48:05 AM

You know, they couldn't pick a worse hero to do that to either.  That would be retarded beyond the highest level.

More or less retarded than the fact that they're talking about following that with a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie? Actually these ideas are so horrible it's a bit comforting. The harder these movies tank the more of an upper-hand Marvel with have when it comes to re-upping their deal later.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #123 on: April 01, 2017, 08:40:46 AM

More or less retarded than the fact that they're talking about following that with a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie? Actually these ideas are so horrible it's a bit comforting. The harder these movies tank the more of an upper-hand Marvel with have when it comes to re-upping their deal later.

Yeah but this makes me uneasy that Marvel will start slacking off without any surefire competition or even the threat of any. Then again, they've done ok so far in the vacuum.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: April 01, 2017, 10:27:06 AM

It's not a football game. Marvel is racking in billions of dollars of the MCU, they are not taking their foot of the pedal on this gravy train regardless of what Sony or Fox do.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: April 01, 2017, 10:33:11 AM

It's not a football game. Marvel is racking in billions of dollars of the MCU, they are not taking their foot of the pedal on this gravy train regardless of what Sony or Fox do.

True but some of those movies have been dog shit that get a pass because Marvel.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: April 05, 2017, 07:31:44 AM

None of the marvel movies have been dogshit. Closet you can get to dogshit is some of the Netflix stuff and then it was just mediocre.
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:27 AM

None of the marvel movies have been dogshit. Closet you can get to dogshit is some of the Netflix stuff and then it was just mediocre.

Meh, boils down to opinion I guess... sorry to fail to tack on the IMHO qualifier.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #128 on: May 25, 2017, 11:21:04 PM

So I just watched this on demand in the comfort of my living room, having some how managed to not see it in the theatres.

Holy fuck was that good.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 26, 2017, 08:26:55 AM

Apparently, the first draft of the story began with the .  You saw it, you saw who did it, you saw their reaction to realizing exactly what they'd done - and that was the start of the movie.  That would have drastically changed the movie.  I'd have loved to have seen that scene for the spectacle of it, but it was so right to exclude it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: May 26, 2017, 01:17:22 PM

Yeah, massively right. The whole point is that we're not entirely sure what Professor X remembers, or how bad it was. You don't do a moody Western with a broken-down hero and start it with a flashback that shows you exactly how he got that way. It gives away everything.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 26, 2017, 03:12:38 PM

Yeah, it would be majorly shit.  I mean, was the Preacher alive or dead ?  Enquiring minds can fuck right off.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 26, 2017, 05:28:19 PM

I would have liked to see it, but yeah it would make the movie worse.

I am the .00000001428%
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 14, 2018, 03:35:48 PM

I'm going to dredge this back up, because I finally got to see this. This movie was incredible, and was probably the most "realistic" hero movie I've ever seen. Very well done.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Logan (aka Wolverine 3, aka Old Man Logan)  
Jump to: