Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 136061 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #280 on: January 31, 2017, 10:36:01 AM

Felix actually looks decent here

Clem is stunning, wardrobe choice and her eyes. Jealous.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: July 22, 2017, 05:49:24 PM

Interesting trailer for 2nd season, from SDCC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFM3V_dors
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: July 22, 2017, 09:40:06 PM

Uhm, is that a Thylacine carcass?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: July 23, 2017, 10:24:21 PM

I don't think they were that big.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: July 24, 2017, 04:05:54 AM

Looked kind of like a tiger.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: July 26, 2017, 08:01:53 AM

Looked kind of like a tiger.

I thought it was a tiger as well.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #286 on: July 26, 2017, 06:22:26 PM

When you see the head in the last few frames as the camera angle changes, you question whether it's a tiger. But I think it's still a tiger.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: July 27, 2017, 05:00:59 AM

Caveman World! See primitive Man fight Saber Tooth Tigers!

Hic sunt dracones.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #288 on: July 27, 2017, 05:04:34 PM

The ending of S1 was so bad I'm not sure I even care.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #289 on: July 28, 2017, 12:58:24 AM

The ending of S1 was so bad I'm not sure I even care.

Could you expand on that?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #290 on: July 31, 2017, 02:28:24 PM

I found basically every single plot device that let the robots suddenly raise their stats to ten and do anything they wanted coupled with the reaction to that happening to be so stupid that I stopped giving a single fuck about the "world" of the show.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: July 31, 2017, 02:35:04 PM

? There was only one host who was explicitly "raised stats" during the action (Thandie Newton's character) and it was a long-simmering plot development that we discover has been engineered by the park's designer. Other hosts appear to have had some form of sapience or self-awareness for a long time. That was pretty much the central theme of the whole show, not just a last-second gimmick in the final episode.

I'm also not surprised that the guests had a hard time understanding what was going on, but the Man in Black has been interested in the sapience and self-will of the hosts for decades, and his reaction in both the past and present seemed pretty well worked-out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: August 01, 2017, 12:54:43 AM

Dude didn't like the show, not worth the back and forth.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #293 on: March 29, 2018, 01:43:07 PM

Absolutely outstanding trailer for season 2 (they show a lot though if you want to go in unspoiled).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sjVqDg32_8s
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #294 on: March 29, 2018, 01:59:36 PM

Damn. Perfect use of that song.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #295 on: March 30, 2018, 12:57:39 AM

Arg, you assholes.  I really want to see how awesome this trailer is, as you say.  But I loved the show so much, I really want to walk into the next season as cold as possible.  /firstworldproblems

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #296 on: April 06, 2018, 09:05:20 PM

I mildly regret seeing the trailer.  On one hand it was full of awesome.  On the other hand I also went into S1 completely cold and loved the ride.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: April 30, 2018, 07:21:03 PM

2 episodes in, and I like what I'm seeing so far? It makes sense but there are new interesting questions about what's going on here, without being needlessly abstruse.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: May 02, 2018, 12:27:55 AM

I'm really impressed at how confidently they've changed everything while still feeling like the same show.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: May 02, 2018, 03:37:47 AM

Feels completely different to me, also it lacks any coherency.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: May 02, 2018, 12:54:48 PM

In some ways I think it's more coherent? If maybe slightly less mysterious to its cost, at least so far. It's a delicate balance. I suppose one of the questions now is whether Delores and Maeve are still doing what their creators "meant" them to do--the question of intention, free will, and design is a rabbit hole that likely will never end on the series.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #301 on: May 02, 2018, 02:45:06 PM

I wish they would drop the multiple time lines. It's gimmicky at and is reaching a point of being annoying.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: May 02, 2018, 04:29:35 PM

In some ways I think it's more coherent?

Well coherent in that the narrative has revealed itself yes, but the storytelling and tone is a jumbled mess. I can't get my head around what I'm supposed to feel for any of the characters.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #303 on: May 08, 2018, 08:09:58 AM

I was a little worried after the first episode, but I'm starting to really enjoying their ability to deepen the mystery by adding elements we assumed we already knew. For instance, Logan being at the Gala - that shows that instead of dying in Westworld, he did actually make it back to the mainland. Which then makes me more interested in what happened to give William the power of succession from Papa Delos. Also, rather than there being one robot revolution, we now see that there are at least 3 distinct codebases working at their own ends - Delores with her revolution, Maeve with her search for her kid and the Native Americans who don't seem to be under the influence of whatever root control Maeve has. And then there's the Charlotte trying to get the information in Abernathy's head out of the park.

Adding in not just samurai world but also colonial India was an interesting touch too. I'm thinking the woman with the tiger was Emily, William's daughter.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: May 14, 2018, 08:55:25 AM

I thought this week's episode was legitimately fantastic.

I know that there's supposed to be a bit of distance/self-awareness between us the audience and any action happening in the show, but the Man in Black's little speech about death before he goes to town on the Confederale assholes was pretty fucking great.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #305 on: May 14, 2018, 07:42:42 PM

Agreed.  I enjoyed parts of the first three episodes, but the fourth one just nailed it all the way through.  I hope they can keep that up.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #306 on: May 14, 2018, 08:28:46 PM

This was the payoff for the slow buildup of the first three episodes. I'm glad to see that I was right about who the woman in colonial India was, as well as that they keep showing us that events we previously thought happened one way (Logan's death and the surprising return from this episode) did not happen the way we thought. Good way to build on a fantastic season.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #307 on: June 03, 2018, 06:14:09 PM

I'm sorta aware how annoying posts like this are but help anyways. Does S2 rely on me thinking these machine fucks are good guys worth rooting for? Because I enjoyed S1 up until that was the only way to interpret anything and I found it just sickeningly stupid after that. I think from about the scene where they turned her stats to 11 because idk plot needed complete fucking retards to do a thing I was hate watching out of a feeling of suck costs.

-William Gibson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: June 04, 2018, 02:14:12 AM

I haven't found westworld has ever relied on you thinking anyone was a good guy (spoiler : they aren't), so root for whoever you like.

But it does rely on you considering whether a to what degree the machines are 'people' because that is the entire fucking point of the premise.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #309 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:09 AM

But it does rely on you considering whether a to what degree the machines are 'people' because that is the entire fucking point of the premise.

This. Also it tries to hold up a mirror to the human condition and point out how humanity seems to require something on which to take out its violent delights besides other people, and what does it say about humanity that we need to create something so much like other humans for that purpose? It has echoes of the reason slavery existed for so long as well as the responsibility of humanity to properly shepherd and take care of a being they create (or that is under their charge) that has their own agency.

There are no good guys and no one to root for, because everyone involved does horrible things with their agency. The only redeemable ones are those who use that agency for what might be considered higher ends than getting their rocks off and even they are fucking terrible.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: June 05, 2018, 06:58:16 PM

Think about it this way: suppose you can watch a week-by-week broadcast of the French Revolution. Are you rooting for the aristocrats and King? Fuck no, they're assholes who have been bleeding people dry and are wholly undeserving of their privileges. Are you rooting for the Directorate? The sympathetic people in it have been killed off by week 20 or so. Are you rooting for the people on the barricades? They're often assholes and altogether too eager for blood. Are you rooting for the peasantry in the countryside, settling scores? They're practically guaranteeing people are going to starve next year because no one has any idea how to get enough crops grown in the middle of this. The Prussians and English and others desperate to keep shit the very bad way it was?

Etc.: a situation where there's injustice to make your veins burn with fire, where shit has just GOT to change, but if you were watching it unfold week by week, you might struggle to find a person or people you could identify with without misgivings. And yet, in the heart of the Enlightenment, which side you were on as an observer of the French Revolution was a pretty telling diagnostic of your basic ethos as a human being.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #311 on: June 05, 2018, 07:05:56 PM

I just think it is getting repetitive and boring.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: June 08, 2018, 04:49:33 AM

I kind of agree. We watched the first one in Shogun World and for some reason it just made us feel that we're just kind of losing interest in the whole thing. Hard to say why exactly, but the pacing feels stretched out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: June 08, 2018, 08:12:41 AM

The atemporal storytelling gimmick is killing it.  It worked in season 1.  If felt like a tapestry.  Here is feels like it was in a blender, which kind of works for the underlying story... both the storytelling and the characters are jumbled... but it doesn't work for delivering the story.  I think I'd have enjoyed the season more had I just binged the entire season in one day, but I'm not caring enough to follow the threads week to week clearly.

And...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: June 12, 2018, 02:33:50 PM

The atemporal storytelling gimmick is killing it.  It worked in season 1.  If felt like a tapestry.  Here is feels like it was in a blender, which kind of works for the underlying story... both the storytelling and the characters are jumbled... but it doesn't work for delivering the story.  I think I'd have enjoyed the season more had I just binged the entire season in one day, but I'm not caring enough to follow the threads week to week clearly.

And...

I watched two episodes then waited till now and I'm catching up. This is definitely the superior way to watch.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld  
Jump to: