Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wonder Woman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 23287 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: July 23, 2016, 12:12:13 PM

Wonder Woman trailer.

Actually looks pretty good so far.  Wonder Woman and BatFleck were the best parts of BvS.  Kinda looking forward to this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 01:05:51 PM

It does look decent. Actual color!
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:56:18 PM

Zee Germans again?

How boring.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:59:45 PM

I'm digging it. There's also a Justice League trailer linked from that which looks fun.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 06:10:01 PM

Cautiously optimistic.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 06:38:24 PM

Ha yea that was the first thing I noticed too smiley
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 07:14:11 PM

Yeah, look how bright the first JL pic is:

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 11:29:06 PM

#notmyflash

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 11:32:56 PM

He definitely did not skip leg day though.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 12:13:04 AM

I thought for a second I was watching a female Captain America trailer.

I'm behind on the new DC movies.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 12:40:14 AM

I thought for a second I was watching a female Captain America trailer.

I'm behind on the new DC movies.

It was WW1, not WW2, so it's clearly Xena: Warrior Wonder Woman Princess and not a Captain America wanna-be.

The trailer wasn't as bad as I expected, though my expectations were set by the Batman v Superman trainwreck.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 01:33:18 AM

Chris Pine is an interesting pick, however seeing him in Stretch makes me think he's an awesome choice for any movie.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 06:04:25 AM

Maybe this is petty but I hate how overdesigned and full of linework the Justice League costumes are. It's very busy and makes them look all samey, even with radically different color schemes.

It's like an artist who draws something great then doesn't know when to stop and keeps adding detailing until they've ruined it.

WW looks fine I guess. The juxtaposition of WW fighting in a realistic war setting is weird, especially with the color choice of WW herself being fairly bright but everything else in the picture color graded to be dark and low saturation.

I wasn't a big fan of Captain America one and the juxtaposition there was less stark. It at least looks like a step in the right direction though. At least it kind of seems like the people making the movie let themselves have a little fun maybe.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 06:35:59 AM

Yeah agree on the costumes. The Flash's particularly. There's this overwhelming fear of anything that looks even a bit spandex-y that Snyder and Co. have a particularly intense version of.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 09:58:35 AM

To be fair to Synder and crew, the current run of DC Comics, the New 52, all have very similar lines in their costuming. The Flash's is a bit overdone in comparison but only a little. Guess who the guys spearheading the creative direction of the New 52 were? That's right, Geoff Johns and Jim "I like armor, lines and pouches" Lee.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 09:46:50 AM

New Trailer

I'm digging it.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 10:12:44 AM

Yeah, look how bright the first JL pic is:

Is it just me or does every head in that picture look like it is badly photoshopped onto its body.

I mean, obviously they are all photoshop jobs, but they usually don't look so much like it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 07:51:53 PM

I fucking hated this trailer and thought it looked like horrific garbage.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 08:32:41 PM

Looks on par with a bunch of the other origin story movies, which is to say probably pretty mediocre. DC sucks and it's hilarious.

I'll still watch this on netflix.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 03:53:46 AM

Dunno, the setting actually seems a bit different--not too often any longer that a big studio says, "Let's set a big action movie in World War I".
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 02:22:42 PM

The trailer seemed to imply WW was a superior being even relative to her people. Did anyone else read it that way? Is that canon?

I expect to like it.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 02:24:47 PM

The trailer seemed to imply WW was a superior being even relative to her people. Did anyone else read it that way? Is that canon?

I expect to like it.

Canon on Wonder Woman has fluctuated greatly, especially in the last 5 years. We have the original story of her being molded from clay by her mother (i.e. not born) and so she was definitely exceptional. When DC created the New 52, they changed her origin saying that the clay thing was something Hippolyta made up to cover the fact that Wonder Woman was made from a coupling with Zeus (therefore a demi-god). With the recent rebirth, they have hinted that this may also not be entirely correct anymore.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 05:43:33 PM

Seeing it this weekend. Cautiously optimistic.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 07:10:20 PM

Saw it, was great.  Theater was packed with children for some reason, which made it all the better when they showed a red band trailer for that Ryan Reynolds/Samuel L Jackson movie. 

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 07:12:07 PM

I really enjoyed it although I could have done with a lot less CGI and maybe 30 minutes trimmed off.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 05:18:41 AM

Wait, DC's managed to fuck up Batman, Superman and the Suicide Squad movies but produced a good Wonder Woman movie?

What the actual fuck?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 01:59:45 PM

Very good flick.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 04:26:04 PM

Great, a lot of fun, a couple of actually close to iconic scenes, great character work between Pike and Gadot. Could have used a bit more Etta Candy, who was nicely played and written for. Great arc for the character--has some interesting echoes of Thor's arc in his debut film, but with some good twists.

I think the final battle REALLY missed some possible story beats that would have set up a durable story engine for Wonder Woman AND the Justice League, though.

Basically:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:38:25 PM by Khaldun »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 07:09:11 PM

Female friend said she was bored and didn't enjoy it, but the two guys who've seen it have liked it. Waiting to see more female friend reports.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 07:54:10 PM

Female friend said she was bored and didn't enjoy it, but the two guys who've seen it have liked it. Waiting to see more female friend reports.

Why? Head scratch
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 09:00:18 PM

Yeah, I don't understand that comment either.

This is really good.  Go see it.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 09:12:18 PM

My wife really loved it.  She wasn't paying attention to any of the hype beforehand, but it struck a chord with her when we saw it, having a strong heroine who is also tender and feminine.  She wants to see it again.

It blew her mind afterwards when I told her the most badass Amazon is Princess Buttercup.

I thought it was a very good film with a weak finish.  The final battle had awesome spectacle and choreograhy but just didn't fit the film somehow.  Actually, a lot of the villain elements in the film felt formulaic compared to the Diana-centric narrative.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 06:35:56 PM

Wait, DC's managed to fuck up Batman, Superman and the Suicide Squad movies but produced a good Wonder Woman movie?

What the actual fuck?
They don't care about Wonder Woman I suspect, leaving the writers and directors to do what they wanted.

I could be totally wrong, but that's my Occam's Razor of the situation.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 09:26:19 PM

You're probably right.

I saw this today and it was fantastic. It absolutely may save DC's bacon in the movie biz. Gal Gadot is superb as Wonder Woman. Setting the movie in WWI instead of WWII really helped sell the ending, as well as give the writers something to do that we haven't seen as much in movies. Chris Pine and Gadot have terrific chemistry together too. It's not just a good superhero movie, it's a good movie period.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 11:44:26 PM

By far the best DC film. However, I think the dialogue failed the movie. There were so many hackney lines and predictable twists in the story.

Gal Gadot was far better as a naive and inexperienced Wonder Woman than I thought she would be, but I'm really curious how well she'll carry a Wonder Woman that has 100 Years of heroics behind her. I didn't get the feeling that that was the character we were seeing in Dawn of Justice. She also doesn't look the part of a Greek Amazon goddess to me, but she acted the part better than I thought she would be able to carry it.  This may not have been the perfect role for her, but she impressed me as an actress more than I expected.  Beyond beauty, she has real charisma. 

Although the film had some warts, they did a lot of things really well. This was a powerful and attractive female character that wasn't over-sexualized. Like Man of Steel, they did an impressive job of allowing the character to be powerful, but not letting it feel too much like a cartoon.  I believe that is the hardest thing to do with these overly powered DC characters. I expected to think that this movie would be a lot like Captain America because it was about a natural born leader in a World War era setting but I did not really feel like Captain America and Wonder Woman occupied the same movie space. They avoided treading on Captain America's feet and made this a different movie in the ways that mattered even though they had many identical beats in the stories.

I hope DC and Warner Brothers will look at what worked in this film and apply those lessons to their future films. We'll see if this success carries over to Justice League or not. The trailer so far are not leaving me terribly hopeful.  In retrospect, the biggest surprise for me is that they didn't do a massive publicity run across all spectrums to try and draw people to this film.  I think a lot of people were not expecting this to be as good as it is and may have passed on opening weekend because of their experiences with the prior DC films.  I had not been planning on seeing it in theaters at all until someone who saw it today told me that I really should go see it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wonder Woman  
Jump to: