Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Useless Movies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Movies  (Read 167160 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #280 on: June 26, 2017, 10:55:25 PM

Blame China for the continued existence of those movies.
schild
Administrator

Reply #281 on: June 26, 2017, 11:06:28 PM

on the list of things I want to blame china for, the transformers doesn't even hit the top 50
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #282 on: June 27, 2017, 11:28:50 AM

RedLetterMedia has made a running gag over the last week of posting fake review videos of the new Transformers movie.  It's past Adam Sandler levels of contempt.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: June 27, 2017, 10:15:34 PM

Not that I care overly much about it, but my first thought was indeed that this is what we get for having to cater to the Chinese market.  But thinking over it further, I think it is just as much about the international market in general.  Although anecdotal, my wife is a good example of this.  When exiting this particular movie we begin discussing what we thought about it.  I said it was awful, my two boys (12 and 15) who are somewhat more Americanized than my wife and have better inherent English ability were pretty "meh" leaning towards the negative.  We could all agree that these TF movies, while never great, actually seem to get worse and worse.  My wife, born and raised in Denmark, never quite sees it the same way.  She thought it was okay, or at least on par with lots of other, better made action flicks.  The utter cornball, horrific and offensive dialogue?  Flies straight over her head.  This goes for tons of movies and TV shows.  The truly terrible stuff just looks like average stuff to her.

I guess it is about appealing to the lowest common denominator, or something. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: June 29, 2017, 09:56:17 PM

My honest theory is that Michael Bay is trying to figure out just how awful and offensive of a movie he can make before people will stop paying money to see it.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: June 29, 2017, 10:00:34 PM

I think Spielberg attaches his name to that stuff as well, though I don't know how much of a part he really plays.  That man's career is really inexplicable.  He was figuratively shitting gold back in the day, but at some point he must have exploded an important vein in his head.  Has he made anything in the last decade that didn't make me want to punch a kitten?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: June 30, 2017, 01:10:06 AM

Watched Lego Batman last night.

I was bored and irritated the whole way through.  I think there was exactly one laugh.

Did I have expectations set to high or summat ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: June 30, 2017, 01:15:04 AM

The dialogue probably has something to do with it, non-native speakers even if they have an extremely good grasp of the language still don't quite get the difference between meh and terrible dialogue. In a lot of other countries I suspect subtitles also do a better job than the writers on those movies. The action itself with Transformers (and all Michael Bay films) is grand and loud and has good effects. I think perhaps Americans have a pretty unique thing of rating the quality of big, explosiony action movies. I kind of lump them all together myself although I haven't seen the TF films past the first one to judge if they've gone down hill. The first one was fairly dire and didn't deliver any of the characters or plot I was hoping for from a Transformers film.

Lego Batman: I laughed a bit at it but the plot wasn't as well done or thoughtful as the Lego movie. I think it was fun as a kids movie but it was more a Dreamworks than a Pixar type kids movie. They saw what worked in the Lego movie but didn't really have the ability to pull it off. I think it's fair to compare them though, they clearly went in using that previous success to sell it.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: June 30, 2017, 01:23:08 AM

Elena loved it even on, I think, 3rd watching for her now, so it's defo a kids one, but I really expected more for me.  It just wasn't there.

Also, I thought for a Batman bit, the voice chaps were all awful.  The only thing that broadly made me smile was the two scenes harking back to all the other Batmen.  But even that became overdone by the final fight scene with the Adam West Fight-Words.

I dunno.  I'd like to think I'm not just being IronCunty, but it really didn't work for me on any level.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #289 on: June 30, 2017, 03:17:52 AM

Watched Lego Batman last night.

I was bored and irritated the whole way through.  I think there was exactly one laugh.

Did I have expectations set to high or summat ?

No, I said the same thing when it came out. I was so bored I fell asleep after the Batman history joke. It was, to me, like watching a movie aimed at 6-8 year olds with no real jokes for parents. I enjoyed The Secret Life of Pets more.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: June 30, 2017, 05:58:03 AM

I tried watching it on a plane. I thought it was dumb, I could only put up with it for about twenty minutes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #291 on: July 11, 2017, 03:57:47 PM

Trailer for a film that is out already quite a while

Russian SF action film. I would say "ЇЍDЭPԐЍDЭЙҪЄ DДЧ" but it does seem to be a bit more story heavy.

Anyway, watch yourself. There are english subs, just need to be turned on:

Attraction Official Trailer #3

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: July 15, 2017, 08:40:04 AM

Despicable Me 3, continuing the Minions Trend of being fucking garbage and running this franchise into the ground.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #293 on: July 16, 2017, 08:07:02 PM

Did Elena like it, though?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: July 17, 2017, 01:10:05 AM

Yes, she loved it.   awesome, for real

(It's really bad tho.)

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: July 17, 2017, 01:59:31 AM

I thought the Minions in the first movie were used perfectly. Not too much so as they didn't spoil the gags, kept the focus on the main characters. The other movies... Urrgh...

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: July 17, 2017, 02:34:46 AM

I guess it depends on your view of the minons.  I find them fucking annoying and while funny in the first one, it's a one-note joke that wears quickly.

Whereas, Mark Kermode, the film critic I most listen to, did his review of this film where he liked it entirely due to the minions.

Who knows !

schild
Administrator

Reply #297 on: July 26, 2017, 11:35:50 PM

Just watched Adjustment Bureau and boy that's a better movie than I remember despite being a bit heavy handed.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: July 27, 2017, 04:20:20 AM

It's ok, I liked the romance, but it got very, very, very 'God-y'

I do not like too much God in my films.

schild
Administrator

Reply #299 on: July 27, 2017, 08:02:45 AM

I appreciated them only saying angels once. But more to the point, the god stuff bothered me less here because the overall premise was more interesting. I also like the whole free will is an illusion thing coming from on high rather than some nonsense corporate overlord like it does in so many sci-fi movies.

But mostly, it was just way more entertaining than I remembered.
schild
Administrator

Reply #300 on: July 27, 2017, 08:19:41 PM

The Circle is maybe one of the worst 5 star-studded movies I've ever seen.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #301 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:51 PM

Yeah that one looked like total trite bullshit from the first trailer. Like The Net only with a less interesting premise.

schild
Administrator

Reply #302 on: July 27, 2017, 09:49:15 PM

The net was great for what it was. The circle was absolute dogshit.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: July 29, 2017, 02:43:42 PM

Wait, was that the one where aliens have captured everyone and they have to be in some kind of stupid alien game show where only one survives ?  I liked it.  Because lots of people died and Darla was in it.

On the matter of Dogshit, however, I just watched that Fantastic Potter Cash Ins and Where to Find Them.

Jesus fuck. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #304 on: July 30, 2017, 08:04:31 AM

what? The circle was the Netflix Tom Hanks / Emma Watson tour de force that was clearly written by retards. The Net was a Sandra Bullock vehicle from the mid 90s.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #305 on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:25 AM

Circle (what Ironwood is talking about) and The Circle (the Hanks/Watson movie) are two different movies.  Both available on Netflix, but neither worth watching.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: July 30, 2017, 09:51:00 AM

what? The circle was the Netflix Tom Hanks / Emma Watson tour de force that was clearly written by retards. The Net was a Sandra Bullock vehicle from the mid 90s.

Yeah, in that case I don't care.  About either.

schild
Administrator

Reply #307 on: August 01, 2017, 12:16:11 PM

The Dark Tower - 95 minutes (lol)
IT - 135 minutes for the first HALF

so

yeah

9/8 can't come soon enough
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #308 on: September 05, 2017, 10:16:08 AM

Jusdt saw Buster's Mal Heart this weekend on Netflix. Its sorta a bizarre movie a la Jacob's Ladder and the Lost Room. Its one of those you can probably watch 3-5 times without really locking down precisely what's happened. I think this is a good audience for it:

https://youtu.be/W8ilR2b3QLs

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #309 on: September 07, 2017, 11:57:12 PM

Seen chunks before, but sat down and finally watched all of Aguirre, the Wrath of God.  Great film and you can see how it influenced a lot of Coppola and Malick.  I think Fitzcarraldo is next for me.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: September 08, 2017, 05:45:33 AM

Be sure to watch the documentary about the making of it afterwards.

Aguirre is super-great, though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #311 on: September 09, 2017, 07:33:21 PM

wow The Mummy is terrible

100% terrible

every part of it
schild
Administrator

Reply #312 on: September 10, 2017, 07:46:47 AM

I only got through half the movie last night

it somehow gets worse

this is the worst

I can't think of a big budget movie that is worse than this movie
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #313 on: September 10, 2017, 10:27:28 AM

I would have been surprised if it was any other way. The concept was supremely dumb - let's franchise characters that haven't really been considered front-line characters for at least 15 years. Then let's attach it to a movie series that had one campy great surprise hit, two really disappointing sequels and two or more (I forget how many Scorpion Kings they made without the Rock) really terrible bombs as spinoffs. OH and let's pay big name stars like Tom Cruise to star in it and make it serious business forgetting the entire campy nature that made the Branden Fraser version so successful. Surely this will make us Marvel Disney bucks!

It was pretty much doomed to failure.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: September 11, 2017, 02:41:14 PM

What's really interesting is all the dumb shit around the movie about it establishing a "franchise". None of these dumb motherfuckers running the studios now seem to have even the vaguest idea of how to go about doing something like that. All they can see is the Marvel and Star Wars people and they go, "oh, that's easy, we can do that, what IP do we have sitting around, we just take the IP and buy some directors and movie stars and get a big ad budget and bam! we gots this".
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Useless Movies  
Jump to: