Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Useless TV 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless TV  (Read 125758 times)
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 05, 2017, 11:29:57 AM

When I think about things like that I think about DB Weiss' lack of credentials when he started on Game of Thrones and that I was the only person, I think, on Earth that read his freshman effort.

Minor thread necromancy just to comment that I absolutely loved Lucky Wander Boy, and somehow managed to avoid connecting that it was the same person show running Game of Thrones until like a week ago, and ever since I learned that have been mildly annoyed because it means that he'll probably never go back to writing books.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #106 on: June 28, 2017, 10:38:37 AM

Maybe they'll have him finish the last Thrones book after Martin baconators himself 6 feet under.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 28, 2017, 10:32:29 PM

Rasix mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you haven't watched Santa Clarita Diet, it is highly recommended.  Really funny.  Barrymore is good, and Timothy Olyphant is great.  Supporting cast, especially the kids, also great.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #108 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44:31 AM

I am avoiding the GoT thread as I couldn't watch the episode yet, but here is:

Littlefinger recaps season 6 in five minutes

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 24, 2017, 01:23:20 AM

Need some ideas for some good situation comedy on Netflix.  Wife and I are getting to the end of a Modern Family run and looking to find something to replace it.  Suggestions?  Looking for something in a similar vein.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #110 on: July 27, 2017, 02:41:47 AM

That probably requires knowing what you've already watched.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 27, 2017, 05:02:53 AM

Salvation is a horrible example how to totally ruin an interesting idea (asteroid on course to hit earth) with stupid writing.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #112 on: July 27, 2017, 07:27:59 AM

Need some ideas for some good situation comedy on Netflix.  Wife and I are getting to the end of a Modern Family run and looking to find something to replace it.  Suggestions?  Looking for something in a similar vein.

Ok, so I've got two that you may or may not have watched.

1) The Middle - While I never personally got into The Middle it was ok the times I did catch an episode. I'm not big on family comedies but it was entertaining enough I didn't turn it off.
2) Raising Hope - This show never got the praise I think it should have. It's by the guy who did My Name is Earl (and has some callbacks there at times) It's the lower-class version of shows like Modern Family.

This assumes you've already watched the other standards like The Office, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, The Office, It's Always Sunny, Scrubs, and Malcom in the Middle.

Malcom always deserves a re-watch if you haven't seen it in years. I think I'll start that myself this week.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 27, 2017, 07:48:45 AM

Ok, so I've got two that you may or may not have watched.

1) The Middle - While I never personally got into The Middle it was ok the times I did catch an episode. I'm not big on family comedies but it was entertaining enough I didn't turn it off.
2) Raising Hope - This show never got the praise I think it should have. It's by the guy who did My Name is Earl (and has some callbacks there at times) It's the lower-class version of shows like Modern Family.

This assumes you've already watched the other standards like The Office, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, The Office, It's Always Sunny, Scrubs, and Malcom in the Middle.

Malcom always deserves a re-watch if you haven't seen it in years. I think I'll start that myself this week.

Thanks, I'll add those to the list of possibilities.  Being in filthy Euroland, I have actually seen virtually none of those, save AD (and that only recently).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #114 on: July 27, 2017, 07:51:23 AM

Oh! I forgot you were a Euro. Then yeah, all of that list.

Hell, if you're able to slog through early 90's tropes then Married With Children is a must. Ed O'Neil in Modern Family is an older Al Bundy who's learned to feel in his 2nd marriage.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #115 on: July 27, 2017, 07:51:40 AM

I would second the recommendation for Raising Hope. It's hilarious from start to finish, Garret Dillahunt is amazing in the Dad's role and you get to see Elsie from Westworld in a comedic role.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #116 on: July 27, 2017, 08:20:39 AM

Community would be my recommendation, though I'd probably stop at the end of Season 3.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #117 on: July 27, 2017, 08:46:57 AM

For some reason I've been itching to watch Northern Exposure again.  I only saw it the one time back in the 90s and really loved it. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: July 29, 2017, 07:42:47 AM

It was brilliant.   And then wasn't.  Much like Due South.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 29, 2017, 02:45:06 PM

Man, Due South. Exactly right--fucking out of the park great and then suddenly boom! it sucked.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #120 on: August 01, 2017, 03:13:04 PM

Speaking of Stephen King... does anyone know anything about that alleged "Castlerock" series that's supposed to be airing on Hulu at some point in the near/far/never future?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: August 29, 2017, 09:33:19 AM

Can someone give me a spoiler-free review of the latest GoT season? I haven't seen a single episode due to not being at home!

Will I like it?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #122 on: August 29, 2017, 11:40:05 AM

Do you like Dragons burning things?

IF so, yes.

If not, give it a pass.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #123 on: August 29, 2017, 10:56:35 PM

Can someone give me a spoiler-free review of the latest GoT season? I haven't seen a single episode due to not being at home!

Will I like it?

Don't think too much about things. Lots of stuff happens. Some of it sucks, some of it doesn't.

Also, Westeros is tiny.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #124 on: August 29, 2017, 11:57:57 PM

It takes less time to travel across westeros on foot than it does Rhode island in a car, on a Sunday, with no traffic during the summer.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: August 30, 2017, 12:13:11 AM

Roger. Thanks. I'll see to find someone willing to rewatch the season with me. (Alone feels lonely. Also good to have someone to rant to in "Omg, what bullshit. This is totally out of character, what where the writers thinking, such bullshit, this is Battlestar Galactica season 4 all over again."-type situations.

OTOH hand, stopping to watch when Cersei is queen and most st did definitely will have a long and fruitful reign ahead of her might be not so stupid either....

schild
Administrator

Reply #126 on: August 30, 2017, 12:14:54 AM

Cersei has been turned into a conniving Trump figure and the entire season was preachy nonsense morality hokum, if we're being honest.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #127 on: August 30, 2017, 12:34:59 AM

What do the Dragons represent in this analogy?  Bourgeois?  Antifa?  Ethics in gaming journalism?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: August 30, 2017, 03:00:43 AM

Since the Dragons are servants of a mistress... Maybe they symbolize the Main Stream Media in it's 3 incarnations print news, TV and Hollywood.

Daneris could be George Soros (Jews=Valyrians) or maybe a Genderqueer femimazi. In this picture the Tagyerians represent the Romans, who on their height went decadent (gay, adultery) and who thus invited their downfall (Cataulsm ia a stand in for Babarians). She is destroying the old order, with help of castrated men (=representing the modern metrosexual feminist cuck). Her eyebrows not matching her head hair is a subtle hint towards that her womaness isn't really real. cf Karl Drogo taking her from behind (another hint).

Her desire to "break", in other words desconstruct, the wheel is an analogy for the corrosive effect postmodern Marxist cultural studies have on traditional societies. Her rise and thus return of the Taygerians symbolizes the danger of America becoming decatent Rome.

Unless she is stopped by a white cis Man, who forgot and first must remember his birthright as leader, this is symbolzed by Jon Snow thinking he is a worthless bastard.

Edit: I hope it is clear all of the above was greentext
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:25:44 AM by calapine »

schild
Administrator

Reply #129 on: August 30, 2017, 07:26:58 AM

the dragons were just dragons
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #130 on: August 31, 2017, 12:37:32 PM

Started watching Shameless.  I've made it through 2 seasons and the first couple episodes of 3.  I'm not sure this is worth continuing to watch despite the somewhat interesting drama, comedy, and frequently nude Emmy Rossum. 

It's just so depressing and most of the characters are despicable. Frank Gallagher is beyond putrid as a human being. The most satisfying parts of the show are when he's physically harmed.

Anyone make it through the entire series and recommend a good stopping point? I've heard the last few seasons get even more depressing.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #131 on: September 01, 2017, 12:41:02 PM

The ex loved the show.

That's all I needed to know about not continuing to watch.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:50 AM

Ok, help me out ;  I've now watched 3 episodes of Tin Star and it's just fucking awful.

Is it worth it to continue ?  I haven't felt this bad about a show since Fortitude.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #133 on: September 13, 2017, 08:10:22 AM

I didn't even know that show existed. I'd be interested for Tim Roth alone unless you're telling me it sucks.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:17 AM

I think it has potential, but thus far it's pretentious pish.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #135 on: September 15, 2017, 09:44:52 PM

So I've been catching up on Midnight, Texas: It's not horrible, although it does take the supernatural milieu straight to 11. Only 3 episodes in, but I'm going to keep working through it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: September 16, 2017, 08:36:42 AM

So okay, I noticed Colony was pretty highly rated on its network, so I watched the first pilot episode.

I found it pretty bad. Now, I know plenty of shows that got better as they went on, so is anybody watching this and can tell me if the same is true here? Cause I thought the pilot was a turgid mess of indifferent acting and outworn tropes.

I'd like to avoid spoilers other than that though.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #137 on: September 19, 2017, 09:30:24 PM

So I've been catching up on Midnight, Texas: It's not horrible, although it does take the supernatural milieu straight to 11. Only 3 episodes in, but I'm going to keep working through it.

--Dave
So I finished it...It got better for a while, then the last two episodes were one whiplash ass-pull unearned plot device after another. It was likely they originally plotted it for 13 episodes, and had to compress the last 6 into 2.5.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: September 20, 2017, 02:09:27 AM

So, just to keep you updated, Tin Star finally let Roth out the box for episodes 5 and 6 and he was GLORIOUS.  Alas, the rest of it is still utter keich, but if you like Roth, you'll like those episodes.  I suspect the rest of the season is only going to let him out more until it culminates in the usual banshee style blood bath.

Still not worth it if you don't like Roth.

Edited ;  For Gods Sake, Don't watch this.  Finished it.  It's utterly terrible.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:52:09 AM by Ironwood »

schild
Administrator

Reply #139 on: September 29, 2017, 10:03:09 PM

Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors ever, mostly due to Legend of 1900 which is the best movie barely anyone has seen.

This looks like shit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Useless TV  
Jump to: