Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Useless TV 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless TV  (Read 125229 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #175 on: January 16, 2018, 09:09:38 AM

On a positive note, and I'm not sure it doesn't deserve its own thread, Netflix has come out with a Japanese 'live action' series based on an anime series named "Erased". Its essentially a time-travel rewind the past to correct the present type tale but that's not doing it justice. If you enjoy good anime stories like Mushishi or Full Metal Alchemist which combines a blend of the brutal realities of child abuse and murder with the most gentle and sweet interactions between characters to make a devastating concoction, this may be for you.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: January 17, 2018, 01:51:50 AM

Er, sounds good, I guess.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: January 22, 2018, 08:01:13 PM

I'm looking for a new crime/detective series to watch, but at this point I think I've seen them all - at least all the British ones. Do the US have any decent ones on offer, or are they all CSI style rubbish?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #178 on: January 23, 2018, 09:55:04 AM

Elementary?

Edit: there's also Life which is one of my favorite shows.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:56:50 AM by Trippy »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: January 23, 2018, 05:46:25 PM

Elementary?

Edit: there's also Life which is one of my favorite shows.

Alas, I've watched them both. Elementary went a bit off the rails for me (UK Sherlock tho).
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 24, 2018, 09:05:32 PM

"Castle" was a pretty good procedural, up until they stopped being episodic and tried to have season arcs.  It had a cutsey twist to make it stand out, and Nathan Fillion is fun.

"Forever" was decent.  Its shtick was an immortal who worked as a coroner for the NYPD.  only one season, tho.

These are network crime dramas -- they're pretty tame.  If you're looking for edgier, NetFlix/HBO dramas, you may find these a little dull.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #181 on: January 25, 2018, 07:53:18 AM

The Bridge was a pretty decent FX cop show that lasted 2 seasons about a Mexican cop and an American DEA agent, based on I think a Finnish or Swedish show of the same name.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #182 on: January 27, 2018, 11:42:13 PM

Great cast and my first introduction to Damien Bashir.  Kruger and Buffalo Bill were great too.   The show actually got better in the second season after they ditched trying to remake the Scandinavian original series (Franka Potente was wild).   I think if this was on AMC it would have kept going and found an audience. FX too quick on the trigger.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: January 28, 2018, 01:41:48 AM

Yeah, we watched some of the scandi original, and the UK remake (the Tunnel), but not the US one. I wasn't sold on it. I prefer the more mystery side of these things, rather than the drama or thriller aspects (I dislike Broadchurch for example, as it's pretty much just a soap opera).

Never given Castle a go though, will look it up.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: January 28, 2018, 07:48:29 AM

Castle is amusing, though it eventually wears out its welcome.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #185 on: January 28, 2018, 09:51:13 AM

It's not exactly a cop drama, but all 3 seasons of Fargo are goddamn excellent.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: January 28, 2018, 09:55:11 AM

Castle is Nathan Fillion being Nathan Fillion. If you find him amusing you will enjoy it for a couple of seasons. If you don't then pass.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #187 on: January 30, 2018, 09:42:57 AM

If you like documentaries, Alex Gibney has a new series on Netflix called Dirty Money, specifically about different ways big businesses are fucking the shit out of people. The first episode of 6 is about Volkswagen's emissions standards defeat device and the prevalence of European car manufacturers (and really US ones too) using defeat devices to lie to regulators about the pollution from diesel cars. I've only watched that first one but it's good.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: February 22, 2018, 07:25:44 AM

What Freshman shows reallyvvstuck the Season 1 landing in the last few years? Way too many good shows fall apart withb3 episodes to go... I'm looking for a few that end strong.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: February 25, 2018, 01:43:34 AM

I watched 5 hours of a MASH marathon tonight.  Seen every episode like 10 times before back in the 80s when it was on 3 times a day. Was like putting on a nice, well-worn shoe.  I am old.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #190 on: February 25, 2018, 07:26:33 AM

I watched 5 hours of a MASH marathon tonight.  Seen every episode like 10 times before back in the 80s when it was on 3 times a day. Was like putting on a nice, well-worn shoe.  I am old.

How did it hold up? We've done something similar but with Golden Girls.  It really holds up except for the fact that the ladies are in their late 50s in the show and thats.not.that.far.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: February 25, 2018, 04:35:31 PM

Pretty well. It was late period MASH which is hit or miss for me (l like CEWIII a lot but  the show gets very Klinger heavy which gets old) but it was a very well made and written show with some real gems even in the last few years.

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: February 26, 2018, 04:47:22 AM

I felt the opposite re-watching a couple of episodes recently. Unbearably twee.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #193 on: February 26, 2018, 06:46:25 AM

Later seasons of MASH veer from farce to maudlin. Doesn't bear up to rewatching for me. I've been watching some old westerns on H&I and while the plots are simplistic, they're still enjoyable for the most part (Rawhide, Wanted Dead or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #194 on: February 27, 2018, 04:39:56 PM

Living Biblically is apparently a real CBS comedy series. I don't think I've ever seen a worse trailer.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #195 on: February 27, 2018, 07:16:39 PM

Well that looks horrifying.  ACK!

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #196 on: February 28, 2018, 08:27:59 AM

It puts the FUN in Fundamentalist.

If you didn't click on that link, that is the actual marketing for it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: March 12, 2018, 12:02:21 AM

I felt the opposite re-watching a couple of episodes recently. Unbearably twee.

Really depends on the episode. Watched "Life Time" tonight (for some reason been watching this show a lot lately) which is Season 8 and is quite brilliant IMO. Guy has his aorta shot out and they have a clock running in the corner while they wait for another guy to die to get a graft. 

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: March 13, 2018, 04:49:09 AM

Uh, he has his Aorta shot out ?

That sounds like a short fucking timer.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #199 on: March 16, 2018, 12:18:56 PM

Watching "Ministry of Time" on netflix. Its a spanish sci-fi show that's quite good. Its sorta Dr. Who-ish in intent. The premise is that Spain has a bunch of portals to various places in time, and there's a secret government agency who manages it, named, stunningly, the Ministry of Time. Their job is to ensure that Spain's glorious history proceeds without interruption. Of course, there are evil time travelers who try to steal Guernica, get Lope De Vega killed, sabotage Dali's education, etc. Its very dramatic and filled with heartache, pain, lust, tragedy, death, and an assortment of strategically placed boobs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:20:35 PM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: March 22, 2018, 11:42:31 PM

Meanwhile on... Youtube Red: Cobra Kai

Low budget, cornball, and at least 13 years too late.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: March 23, 2018, 12:57:17 AM

Seems like it is actually buying into the theory that Daniel is the villain of the original. Love it.

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: March 23, 2018, 04:03:40 AM

Meanwhile on... Youtube Red: Cobra Kai

Low budget, cornball, and at least 13 years too late.

pfft looks awesome

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: March 23, 2018, 05:01:11 AM

Seems like it is actually buying into the theory that Daniel is the villain of the original. Love it.

Illegal kicking motherfucker.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #204 on: March 23, 2018, 08:32:20 AM

That looks hysterical.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: March 23, 2018, 11:37:41 PM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #206 on: March 24, 2018, 09:02:56 AM

Uh, they’re speaking Japanese.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #207 on: March 24, 2018, 09:46:59 AM

All I can think of is "MATT... DAMON."

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: March 25, 2018, 01:38:53 AM

Uh, they’re speaking Japanese.
Yes, but it's Chinese glove puppetry as opposed to marionettes, shadow puppets, or Bunraku.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #209 on: March 25, 2018, 01:50:22 AM

It's also recorded in three languages: Mandarin, Taiwanese and Japanese. The characters all have Chinese names too.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Useless TV  
Jump to: