Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:19:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Punisher (Marvel) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Punisher (Marvel)  (Read 25793 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: April 29, 2016, 09:55:59 AM

Not a drill... Netflix has given the greenlight. Date TBD.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 02:22:40 PM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:10 PM

Unless Netflix changes their stance on 2 Marvel shows a year, we aren't seeing this til like 2019-2020.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 06:12:20 PM

New materials out there, but still no release date... still expecting this year.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 12:52:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

I liked how they used Metallica on the trailer.

edit: and they flash a 2017 date at the end of the trailer  awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 05:29:57 AM

That looks great. I'll forgive using an Anti-War song for it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 05:57:41 AM

Which song was the anti-war song?

Also, looks very promising!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 06:07:47 AM

One?
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 06:09:40 AM

“Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”

edit: yikes, long time since I've listened to Metallica to make a mistake like that
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:14:03 AM by satael »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 06:30:02 AM

One?

Yes. The story of Johnny isn't exactly extolling the virtues and machismo of sacrificing for cause and country.  It's based on Johnny Got His Gun and uses clips from the movie in the video.  It's absolutely meant as an anti-war song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Got_His_Gun

Many forget Metallica was called "the thinking man's heavy metal band" because so many of their songs had an underlying political or social message. "Master of Puppets" about the evils of addiction and specifically cocaine. "Blackened" is about nuclear war, "Ride the Lighting" is about the injustice of execution, "Leper Messiah" is a stab at televangelisim like "Make Me Laugh" by Anthrax, and "Disposable Heroes" is their earlier, less-famous anti-war anthem.  

ed: whoops, blackened is nuclear war not environmentalism.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:40:44 AM by Merusk »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 07:15:53 AM

My bad, I confused the songs and thought the song playing in the trailer was Master of Puppets, which as you mentioned, is about drug abuse.

-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 07:36:51 AM

Trailer looks damned good. The use of One is actually pretty perfect even though it's an anti-war song. After all, Punisher doesn't WANT the war, he just feels swept up in it. He's also pretty fucked in the head.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 07:41:58 AM

Yeah, that's an interesting take on it. I had a similar thought, but I wasn't sure it was the best choice for conveying that.  It is, however, the most kick-ass one.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 07:44:59 AM

Rule of cool over making absolute sense. Slayer's War Ensemble might have been more apt but it wouldn't have been as well known, nor have that difference between the acoustic arpeggios and the driving in your face shit.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 07:54:25 AM

Agreed!

/metal derail

That trailer was pretty sweet, though. 2017 date, yay.  Just in time for Christmas? A fun time for the whole family!  awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 09:43:49 AM

I'm going to watch it because I'm more committed to the netflix marvel shows than i've ever been to any person job religion or school but the trailer just looked like a generic 80s Schwarzenegger or Stallone action movie were the main character impossibly shoots down a million bad guys.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 09:53:48 AM

So it pretty much looks like The Punisher then.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 12:23:16 PM

I actually got the opposite of that.  The very few shots they have of him actually fighting show things more similar to Jon Wick style shooting.  Where they show he is very precise and methodical in his take downs.  Might not work out that way, but considering how amazing the fight coreography in Daredevil was, the action scenes have a lot of potential.  But again, they really didn't show very much, so could end up as you say.

The best takes on Punisher in the comics are when show that he is basically living every moment of his life as if he is still a special forces solider in a war zone.  His 'super power' is basically extreme mental focus (brought on by a severe psychological shock that broke him).  Every action has a purpose and just another step in the endless war he's trapped in.  This combined with his years of experience in black ops war fighting, puts him way ahead of most any criminal.

I was really hoping they would try to do an Afghanistan adaptation of Punisher:  Born for this, but looks like not.  :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:44:09 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 12:43:48 PM

The intensity the character has in the comics is hard to maintain constantly on film without it bring flat, especially as a main protagonist. I am eager to see it, but I am going to temper my expectations.

The panel for this weekend where the date was likely to be announced has been canceled due to Vegas.  I'm wondering if they may push the series back a bit to 2018 as well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:57:47 AM by jgsugden »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 08:29:53 AM

November 17th Release Date.  I'm surprised they did not push it back after the LV incident.  Maybe they want to get it on the air before we end up going to war with North Korea.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:50 AM

If they put something back due to something as common place as a gun massacre, we'd never see it.

And then you'd be a sad panda.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:35 AM

If they put something back due to something as common place as a gun massacre, we'd never see it.

And then you'd be a sad panda.
True on Panda element.  I'm hoping this is of better quality than Defenders and Inhumans.  Not a high standard, there.

However, that shooting was more than the typical gun news event.  They already canceled the Punisher panel at NY Comic Con in response to it. 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 11:25:31 AM

Uh.. NYCC was the same weekend. Yeah, they canceled it.

There will have been a whole month and a half for the news cycle to bury it by Nov. 17th.

The spice must flow.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 09:31:06 PM

Man, you folks like to act like I have strange ideas when I say things that have been said a lot around the internet.  When they canceled CCNY, there was a lot of speculation they'd push back the series to 2018.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 12:59:16 AM

Ok, that's another trailer down and I'm not feeling this one.  It doesn't feel like Castle to me.

Just me ?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 01:12:52 AM

Edit:  Doh, just realized there is a brand new trailer out.  Have to wait till after work to watch it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:14:44 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 07:44:10 AM

Ok, that's another trailer down and I'm not feeling this one.  It doesn't feel like Castle to me.

Just me ?

Yeah, I think it's just you. Felt like Punisher to me, and if you saw Daredevil Season 2, I thought that was the best TV/movie portrayal of the character we've seen.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 09:26:58 AM

Yeah, I did.  This, however, seems to be slipping away from that.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 07:56:22 AM

Man, you folks like to act like I have strange ideas when I say things that have been said a lot around the internet.  When they canceled CCNY, there was a lot of speculation they'd push back the series to 2018.

If WUA were still around he'd have shitloads of examples, with links, as to why you don't listen to the internet about business decisions. Firefly: Serenity as a success was his favorite, followed by the "destruction" of Star Wars as a viable IP via the Prequels.  Two things Nerds and Reality disagree on vehemently.

It matters not one drop what hundreds of thousands to millions of nerds collectively type in bravado on the ether.  It only matters where the dollars are, and what the average consumer's sentiment is.

IF the concerns had made it to the collective consciousness, then yes, it would have been pushed back. The collective consciousness of the US didn't link the two; only that subcategory of comic geeks and nerds.  Ergo; no, it didn't happen.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 07:39:45 AM

This is now out.  Just watched the first episode.  So far so good!  

I think the acting of some of the side characters and randoms is pretty spotty, but that's been a problem with most of the Marvel Netflix series.  Fight choreography was pretty good though, which is the #1 most important thing in a Punisher show.  Man, the way he kills the last guy at the end of the episode.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:02:13 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 08:27:23 AM

Looking forward to it!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 10:35:40 AM

...Man, the way he kills the last guy at the end of the episode.   awesome, for real
Geesh, spoilers!  Now we know he kills someone.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 11:05:22 AM

Based on the first episode:  so much better than Iron Fist or Defenders but not really a superhero story.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 11:21:51 AM

Punisher was never really super. Or a hero.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 11:30:56 AM

Only worrying critique is that it's a 6 ep story stretched to fit 13 which is worrysome but also kinda expected so every netflix marvel series, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Punisher (Marvel)  
Jump to: