Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 96555 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #315 on: January 24, 2017, 04:56:27 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: January 25, 2017, 06:36:42 AM

wtf

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #317 on: January 25, 2017, 08:13:38 PM

One of the Red Letter Media casts, taking a shit on Rogue One.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: January 26, 2017, 02:30:15 AM

Because they don't like good films, or because they like clicks ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #319 on: January 26, 2017, 07:41:22 AM

It can be both.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: January 30, 2017, 05:08:14 PM

Saw this last Saturday, loved it. My only complaint was the lack of scrolling yellow text at the beginning. #2, behind Empire.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: January 31, 2017, 12:23:26 PM

Yeah, that bummed me a bit.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: April 17, 2017, 10:36:57 AM

Took me a while to eventually see this on dvd, I was expecting it be better, wasn't bad. More good than bad, Force awakens allowed you care more for the characters, I'm not sure why I felt so removed from the main characters. Speaking of which Forest Whitaker was a let down of Ewan McGregor proportions, Sol Guerrero was probably the most annoying character since Binks. On the plus side, everything else was amazing.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: April 17, 2017, 11:15:35 AM

They jumped into action too quickly and didn't let you grow to care about the characters before they were put in jeopardy.  That is why we don't care about them and it feels a bit flat.  On a second viewing you care a bit more about the characters because you spent the first viewing with them.  They'd have been wise to have spent a few more moments with the characters to make them endearing - an exchange between Jyn Erso and a fellow prisoner that gave us insight into who she had become before we see the 'jail break' could have done a lot to draw us into the film.  As long as we connect to Jyn, the film works.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: April 17, 2017, 02:30:46 PM

Now its on dvd, glad to have seen it again and had my view that it is a good film confirmed.

TFA really didn't stand multiple viewings (except on Jakku), but this does. Thoughts after a couple more viewings...

Tarkin is less of a big deal when you are no longer watching every tick to the exclusion of everything else in frame. It is basically fine - we're all just hypersensitive about this shit because of George fucking Lucas.

The Darth Vader / Krennic scene really does not need to be in this film. And Darth Vader should never be doing bad puns.

The proportion of K2SO's dialog that is a punchline is just a little too high. It gets to the point where the fact he is speaking telegraphs that this will be a joke.

The balance of reusing ideas/styles/equipment/jokes from previous films works well in the core story. But there are too many obvious easter egg script inserts. The guys from the Mos Eisley cantina really did not need to be in this.

The ending is satisfying in a way that no star wars film has been since the first one.

I love how little they feel the need to explain shit in this film.

Seeing the death star from the PoV of the people about to get blown up is properly scary and a great use of us never having seen that before.

The whole film feels like they had more confidence in what they were doing than tFA did.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: April 17, 2017, 04:02:41 PM

They jumped into action too quickly and didn't let you grow to care about the characters before they were put in jeopardy.

Yep agreed, I would have liked to seen how Jyn developed under Guerrero (except having to be subjected to more of Whitakers' over-acting). But that was definitely I think the root of the problem not getting enough back story, or any injected story lines.

Agreed on the Darth Vader pun, it definitely jarred. Somebody else was reading the Jeffrey Brown illustrations to their kids.

The ending was great with Vader ripping through everyone but then slightly messed up by cgi Leia, more bride of Frankenstein. Really should have obscured her and I think we would have got the idea. They were at times using a sledgehammer to crack the nut.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:04:12 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: April 18, 2017, 01:14:41 AM

I thought cgi Leia was fine. The thing that jarred in that scene was that it had none of the urgency and tension that the previous shots were full of. Was clearly put together by a different team. The flat 'serious people lined up' construction was reminiscent of the terrible closing shots from aNH, RotJ and tPM.

Also, I didn't need more origin story, but would have appreciated more time on the blue rainy planet for Jan Ors to grow more and demonstrate her competence in leading the team. I didn't buy the way the hardbitten rebel saboteurs all join her suicide mission without her having demonstrated any ability to lead it. The emotional development is fine - it just needs a little agency to go along with it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:20:58 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:07 AM

Oh I just remembered my second least favourite 'stop the film for an easter egg insert' moment...

"HEY I HAVE NO NAME BUT AM RED FIVE, THATS RED FIVE, YES RED FIVE REMEMBER LUKE SKYWALKERS CALLSIGN! HOWEVER WILL A VACANCY ARISE FOR LUKE SKYWALKER WHO IS ALSO RED FIVE OH I DIED"

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: April 18, 2017, 01:41:49 AM

Blah blah blah blah Jan Ors blah blah

Heh.  Jyn Erso, I think you mean, though there is a resemblance. 

I agree with your point, though.  I think she was quite unmemorable in general, and I had to suspend my disbelief (which I am good at) in order to buy into the fact that these guys would go along with her at all.  To me, this whole movie was audio/visual spectacle, and I am fine with that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: April 18, 2017, 01:45:56 AM

All it needed was the team to achieve something on that platform and for Jan to bark a few orders into a comlink to make it happen.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #330 on: May 20, 2017, 02:10:53 PM

Finally seen it and found it underwhelming.

The fan-service space-battle sections where the only remarkable moment, the entire middle part felt like a long bore.

Similar with the characters, Krennic with his burning ambition showed more personality than Jynn.

Edit: The Vader scene was nice, frankly. No fine sword play but him hacking and slashing through rebel soldiers meat. Showed why he is Vader and feared.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:59:56 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 23, 2017, 03:18:51 PM

This popped up on Netflix.

Watched it this morning, thought it was decent. Can't say how I would rate it against the other movies because I really don't care enough about Star Wars anymore to think that hard about it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #332 on: July 23, 2017, 06:51:36 PM

I've already watched it twice on Netflix. It's a fucking awesome movie, tied for my favorite with Empire and ANH, I decided they're all amazing in their own ways. I want to see TFA a couple more times to see how I feel about it, seeing it in the theater on release weekend was too biasing.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #333 on: July 23, 2017, 07:59:27 PM

I am biased. I love this movie and ignore its weaknesses. The same for TFA. What people bitch about most, I enjoy.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: July 24, 2017, 04:37:17 AM

I'm travelling this week. Will watch again.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: July 24, 2017, 05:05:38 AM

It's a fucking awesome movie, tied for my favorite with Empire and ANH.

But that is completely false! Sometimes I wish it was possible to stop people from having wrong opinions... *sigh*

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: July 25, 2017, 09:27:14 AM

But, if that happened, everyone would wind up agreeing with me...  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #337 on: April 30, 2018, 06:57:46 AM

I just watched this a second time (first at the movies, now on Netflix).

I FUCKING LOVED IT. There should be no debate about the greatness of Rogue One. If you don't like it, watch it again on Netflix until you do.

It's way better and far more Star Warsy than the mess that is the emo Kylo new Death Star deeply unsatisfying "main" new trilogy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:01:42 AM by Tale »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: April 30, 2018, 11:34:47 AM

I just watched this a second time (first at the movies, now on Netflix).

I FUCKING LOVED IT. There should be no debate about the greatness of Rogue One. If you don't like it, watch it again on Netflix until you do.

It's way better and far more Star Warsy than the mess that is the emo Kylo new Death Star deeply unsatisfying "main" new trilogy.

2 out of 3 Australians agree (and fuck the 3rd guy)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #339 on: May 01, 2018, 08:41:15 AM

My argument in the Last Jedi thread basically boiled down to 'SEE THIS MOVIE!?!?!?!'

I've watched this movie multiple times now, and I almost NEVER re-watch movies.  It is awesome and probably the best Star Wars movie ever put to film.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: May 01, 2018, 11:47:46 AM

When I thought Disney was going to pump out Star Wars movies I was hoping they will look something more like this. Unfortunately whatever talent that went into making this wasn't shared with the rest of the studio.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: May 01, 2018, 02:58:45 PM

Let's keep mind this movie had to be extensively reshot before it wasn't crap.

I am the .00000001428%
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: May 01, 2018, 03:40:52 PM

I love how little they feel the need to explain shit in this film.

This is also cute considering TLJ thread.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #343 on: May 01, 2018, 10:24:07 PM

Depends whether you think having the editor of Suicide Squad "reconceptualize" Rogue One really improved it or not :)

https://vimeo.com/196155136
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: May 02, 2018, 12:21:01 AM

At this point I get the impression this is something people say about every blockbuster ever.

But even if the whole film was rewritten and reshot, I don't care, it worked.

I liked tLJ but this is better.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: May 02, 2018, 04:20:30 AM

At this point I get the impression this is something people say about every blockbuster ever.

But even if the whole film was rewritten and reshot, I don't care, it worked.

I liked tLJ but this is better.

Why the fuck does it matter that they did reshoots? Did they make you see the original edit first? No, so um who gives a flying fuck?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: May 03, 2018, 09:04:49 AM

A reshoot is just a very late rewrite, and every script is rewritten a gazillion times before it is made.

Except crap.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #347 on: May 03, 2018, 01:16:44 PM

I feel it was in some ways better prior to the changes (more rebellion/freedom fighters themed than hopeful).

But the reshoots also got us the single best scene in the entire franchise, so I'm coo wit dat.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: May 03, 2018, 03:26:31 PM

But the reshoots also got us the single best scene in the entire franchise, so I'm coo wit dat.

Which was? Vader i assume?

I am the .00000001428%
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: May 04, 2018, 01:20:58 AM

Rogue One is not Prequels level pants-on-the-head and has some good scenes but overall it's not a great film.

I am glad we can agree on this.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One  
Jump to: