Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Beyond 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Beyond  (Read 33817 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 03:16:36 PM

If anything it's sad that they're recycling the same song.  They should've used Intergalactic...

Edit: Evildrider beat me to it.

Paul Revere  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 03:18:15 PM

Yeah, it was kinda stupid in the first one too, but I appreciate that they're really going front and center with it this time.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 05:50:04 PM

Eh, I don't get why you guys are complaining about this one and all in love with the other generic comic stuff that gets churned out these days? They're all disposable pain-by-numbers.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 08:35:55 PM

Eh, I don't get why you guys are complaining about this one and all in love with the other generic comic stuff that gets churned out these days? They're all disposable pain-by-numbers.

The generic comic movies are based on generic comic storylines. Star Trek has not historically been generic tripe.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 03:29:51 AM

The line "the frontier pushes back" implies that the crew have finally gone out to the 'final frontier' so that's good. Losing the ship in the third movie is not so good. The ship is a character to me.  If it's the original Enterprise/Kirk vs. the Doomsday Machine or Enterprise D/Picard vs. the Borg cube or even Enterprise ?/nUKirk vs. Nero, the ship was shown to be the best we could build. A testament to Federation science and ingenuity.  There was always drama when Kirk or Scotty was begging the ship to hold together.  And it did.

At any rate, the trailer was about what I expected from the new movies.  The new series can address the more non-explodey issues Trek is known for.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 16, 2015, 05:58:47 AM

Star Trek has not historically been generic tripe.
Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahahahahahah. ROFL

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 10:40:50 AM

FWIW: Simon Pegg says the movie trailer sucked and there is a lot more "Star Trek" stuff not in it...

http://www.avclub.com/article/wincing-simon-pegg-admits-he-didnt-new-star-trek-t-230006

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 03:54:48 PM

THANK YOU! I said that above (Sabotage/Young Kirk), but don't think anyone confirmed it, and didn't care enough to look it up myself.

I meant one or two of the movies have been ok, not the first and second one.

Oh thank God, I almost had to call a medic  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #43 on: May 20, 2016, 11:43:35 PM

New trailer, definitely better despite a bit too much Bwaaaaap!.  Pine is getting some good Shatner affect without doing an impression.

https://youtu.be/HzWIGFiGrlA

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: May 21, 2016, 01:14:19 AM

Still no fucking idea what's going on in this movie.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 21, 2016, 04:37:54 AM

Still no fucking idea what's going on in this movie.

That's a good thing trailer wise isn't it?

Anyway, why do they keep blowing up the Enterprise? Might as well just call the damn thing the USS Kenny at this point.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 21, 2016, 05:19:19 AM

Killing the Enterprise creates a sense of loss, without killing off a beloved crewmate.
Plus, the Enterprise can be rezzed for the next movie, and no one will blink when it takes place off-screen.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: May 21, 2016, 09:55:44 AM

I'm actually getting really fucking tired of the Enterprise getting blown up in every movie. It's been done so much, it completely robs the whole thing of any emotional impact because we know it'll be back.

As for the trailer keeping me from knowing what's going on in the movie, I don't want it to spoil the whole thing (such as the Enterprise getting shitcanned again) but I'd at least like to have some idea of the story besides BOOM POW KRASH CHAKA CHAKA!

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 21, 2016, 10:38:07 AM

It wouldn't be soo bad if they hadn't already done it in the last 2 movies.  Fucking hell.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 21, 2016, 11:21:59 AM

You guys are right. Blowing things up every movie seems like just another symptom of JJ-itis.
It's senseless and doesn't have the right impact.

I was thinking back a little farther.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: May 21, 2016, 03:27:11 PM

No, you absolutely cannot blame the Enterprise destruction on JJ Abrams. That shit's been going on since forever. They destroyed it at the end of Search for Spock, didn't have it in IV and then it got blown up again in Generations and of course the ass-kicking it took in nuTrek 1 and Into Darkness. It's just been done. OVER AND OVER. It lacks all emotional impact.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 21, 2016, 04:03:54 PM

Nah.

For one, the Enterprise has only actually been destroyed twice (III and Generations). It's been beat to hell in II, VI, Redemption, and of course JJ1 and 2. But not actually destroyed.

Also, we don't know if it will be here or if the magical tooth fairy time travel will make it right.

But I do agree with the lack of emotional resonance npw. It's being treated as a plot device, not the Kobayashi Maru-like scenario Kirk had in III (where he changed the rules). Nothing we see now can replace the emotional build up to self destruction in III.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #52 on: May 21, 2016, 05:58:33 PM

Nothing can replace it because it wasn't earned. The destruction in III had the history of three movies, a TV and animated series and 20 years time behind it. After evading destruction so long, it was gone. You didn't know if more movies were coming and it seemed like a goodbye to the series.

Even Generations had some decent weight behind it with the series. It felt a bit token because we'd seen it happen in III and TNG wasn't quite the touchstone TOS was at the time. It still hurt a bit, but you knew more movies were on the way. This was only the first of the new set, so while sad, Meh there's going to be another ship.

The JJ movies have tried to stand on the shoulders of the previous series and largely failed. Everything has happened in 90 minutes or less. We have three episodes of familiarity with the crew. The destruction here doesn't have the weight of anything behind it. It's just a special effect and one we expected by now, since it was nearly blown to hell two times already.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 21, 2016, 06:27:18 PM

It's like halfway through writing the script they decide the new ship already sucks and they should write it getting blown up so they can get a newer new ship.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #54 on: May 23, 2016, 08:52:41 AM

I just like that they've recycled the Narn for their tossaway evil aliens this movie. I'm puzzled how an albino Night Elf got there though.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 23, 2016, 09:23:09 AM

Elba's character really does look like an armored Narn. It's a lazy design on several levels. Also a waste of Idris Elba, frankly. At some point if a Star Trek bad guy isn't just "humans with a bump on their upper nose", I almost wish they go full CGI and give us a genuinely alien-looking alien for once. Elba's voice is worth paying for if they want the name.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: May 23, 2016, 09:30:28 AM

That was Idris Elba?

Yeah, talk about a waste.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 30, 2016, 08:41:18 AM

Man, even the studio must think this sucks. Less than a month before release and very little effort to drum up interest.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #58 on: June 30, 2016, 08:55:20 AM

I dunno. Generally when I see a lot of hype more than a few weeks before release I expect the movie to suck.

The Kevin Spacey/ Jennifer Garner human-as-a-cat movie, for example. Two months out with lots of TV ads, obvious shitshow of a movie. Ghostbusters: hype everywhere, TV ads since May, probably not that great.  Avengers? I don't recall an ad before 2-3 weeks out.

When it's a "Big" movie, people just generally know. There's been trailers before every tangentially-related movie for the last several months, too.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 30, 2016, 03:29:34 PM

Man, even the studio must think this sucks. Less than a month before release and very little effort to drum up interest.

Apparently you missed the new trailer featuring Rihanna's new single "Sledgehammer".

Also, Star Trek is now "hip" enough to solicit Rihanna singing songs for it. #LivingInInterestingTimes

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 30, 2016, 04:31:40 PM

It's the same trailer, only with Rihanna. Which feels desperate and unfocused at the same time.

Motorcycle jumping! Rihanna! This will get them to come to this movie, or...I dunno. Maybe. Star Trek? Do we own that, really? Gosh. I dunno. Do you think Marvel would be interested in buying it?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 30, 2016, 08:49:38 PM

Both Marvel and DC have published Star Trek comics, so there is rights to go round.

Incidentaly, Enterprise is the only Trek series that has not been made into a comic.

Hic sunt dracones.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 01, 2016, 01:53:57 AM

WTF is the NX enterprise doing in this trailer? Is Scott Bakula gonna show up?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 01, 2016, 02:41:47 AM

Time travel yo!

Hic sunt dracones.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #64 on: July 02, 2016, 09:35:12 PM

Probably not time travel. The Star Trek universe is the same until the Narada shows up. Stands to reason the NX is still out there somewhere.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 03, 2016, 01:17:53 AM

Apparently it is an NX akin to the Enterprise 01, but it's an even earlier prototype dubbed the USS Franklin. It can only go to warp 4.

But yes, in this alternative Trek timeline, Bakula very well could rear his head up as some old man/admiral. Not that anyone would want that?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #66 on: July 03, 2016, 05:54:20 AM

Let's not forget Scotty killed Bakulas beagle which is why he was in frozen hell planet.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 10:12:26 AM

I thought the beagle was just lost. Considering that they're beaming across the galaxy by movie 2, there's a lot of planets for that kind of transporter to dump a beagle on.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 11:54:19 AM

I thought the beagle was just lost. Considering that they're beaming across the galaxy by movie 2, there's a lot of planets for that kind of transporter to dump a beagle on.

Like he said.. killed his beagle.   awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #69 on: July 03, 2016, 11:59:19 AM

Yeah, that was the implication of the movie line. Or at least how I figured it. Dog "lost" in transporter accident, what else is it going to be? I assumed some sort of de-patterned flub or never materialized, implying death.

However, apparently in one of the comic book follow-ups they rescued the beagle.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Beyond  
Jump to: