Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:42:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Beyond 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Beyond  (Read 33806 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:15 AM

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

Not feeling it. I hope they're just doing a fakeout on the Enterprise being destroyed because wow, that used to feel like a weighty event but now it's ho-hum. Though maybe in nuTrek since you can just beam to the other side of the galaxy, ships are passe anyway and Kirk & Co. will just teleport everywhere.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:16:02 AM

OMG that's utter crap.  That's like someone put it together in the house.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:19:53 AM

Well, it's been heading this way anyway, but it looks like the transition to action schlock is now complete.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:21:39 AM

Just stop already.  For fuck's sake, Into Darkness was the worst movie I saw this year and this looks magnitudes worse.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 09:26:29 AM

Agree about the Enterprise thing - it's become old hat. I will say if it Into Darkness had not been so shitty, I would have reacted more positively to this one. As it is, I'ma wait-and-see.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:34 AM

But it has a motorcycle in it!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:01:52 AM

This looks like the Star Trek: Insurrection of the new Trek world.  The big budget version of a mediocre episode.

I'd really been hoping this would be the movie where they fix the timeline and get back to the original universe.  Sadly, I see no hint of that.... but there is stuff not in the preview that may hint that we're getting more time travel badness.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:29:44 AM

This is where it begins, Captain! <- bad dialogue

I liked the McCoy and Spock moment though.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:33:33 AM

Urban's McCoy is the only thing I enjoy in any of these movies. I had hope for Pine after the first one when he really did pull off Shatner-esque mannerisms, but those are gone....

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 10:37:32 AM

I.... uhh.... hmmm.

I'm beginning to think Beastie Boys are the Wyld Stallions of the Nu Star Trek Universe.

beer geek.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:38:02 AM

Its directed by the Fast and the Furious guy. I couldn't come up with a more inappropriate director for Star Trek if I thought long and hard on it.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 10:40:18 AM

Its directed by the Fast and the Furious guy. I couldn't come up with a more inappropriate director for Star Trek if I thought long and hard on it.

Penny Marshall?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:36 AM

McG ?

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 11:04:44 AM

You're right, it may be fun to watch now, which is totally what Star Trek isn't about.

I didn't know they were making a Mass Effect movie tho.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 11:31:46 AM

"Hey guys, the 50th anniversary is going to be a big deal so let's not fuck this up.  Get me an iconic soundtrack piece from Star trek's past."

And dirt bikes! Fucking dirt bikes.

Just watch the Force Awakens trailer again and then watch this for more  Heartbreak
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 03:39:21 PM

Feel the same way about this movie as I do about Suicide Squad. They'll probably be pretty fun movies even if they aren't good Suicide Squad or Star Trek movies.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 03:41:24 PM

"I saw the weirdest trailer today. It was for a generic science fiction action movie, but it was all dressed up in Star Trek costumes."

WIll FUCKING WHEATON said that.

Movie doomed

https://twitter.com/wilw/status/676546142499307520?s=09

(Yeah I follow Will Wheaton on Twitter what of it?)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 03:53:46 PM

He appeared in Star Trek: Nemesis so he doesn't really get to comment.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 04:03:43 PM

He's also an incredibly unfunny, uninteresting prick.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 04:43:03 PM

This looks like the Star Trek: Insurrection of the new Trek world.  The big budget version of a mediocre episode.

Yep. "Let's put in some sort of ATV/ dune buggy chase!"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 04:51:19 PM

Why is there a Narn in Star Trek?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 05:08:35 PM

He appeared in Star Trek: Nemesis so he doesn't really get to comment.

Well there is the little paycheck that sways judgement and before the contract ink is dry, you are stuck making a horrible film. Not a fan of his, but he has a point.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 05:34:46 PM

Agree about the Enterprise thing - it's become old hat. I will say if it Into Darkness had not been so shitty, I would have reacted more positively to this one. As it is, I'ma wait-and-see.

Quote from /r/startrek gave me a good cackle.

It's definitely got a bad case of the Vertibird disease from Fallout.
Take off. Crash. Repeat."

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 05:51:48 PM

Feel the same way about this movie as I do about Suicide Squad. They'll probably be pretty fun movies even if they aren't good Suicide Squad or Star Trek movies.

What does a good Star Trek movie look like again? They've all been mostly mediocre movies except for maybe 1 or 2.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 06:04:00 PM

1?!

That was the song from the 2009 Trek film right?

My understanding is they rushed this trailer out first in German and then in English after it leaked in Germany.

Maybe that's part of why it feels rushed and unfinished.

But I also agree with the Enterprise getting destroyed. Again. Just how often is that going to be a thing?

I think the cast holds up well.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 06:45:40 PM

1?!

That was the song from the 2009 Trek film right?

My understanding is they rushed this trailer out first in German and then in English after it leaked in Germany.

Maybe that's part of why it feels rushed and unfinished.

But I also agree with the Enterprise getting destroyed. Again. Just how often is that going to be a thing?

I think the cast holds up well.

I meant one or two of the movies have been ok, not the first and second one.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 07:11:57 PM

The kickstarter video for the next Prime episode looks more compelling.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 08:22:32 PM

Fast and Furious: Starfleet Drift.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 11:20:21 PM

Penny Marshall?  why so serious?

I would totally prefer her version. Team banter like in League of Her Own, a bittersweet character moment out of Awakenings, a performance as good as Big (and hopefully not an overall Renaissance Man). It would be way more Trek-like than... this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 15, 2015, 12:09:13 AM

I presume the enterprise gets destroyed because it is the third movie. And the third movie is the one where the enterprise gets destroyed and they wander about on a planet looking for spock.

Looking forward to the next one where they have to save a whale from the 80s in an invisible space ship.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 03:40:47 AM

A whale will be too in the nose and not topical enough. It will be a killer whale from Sea World to save Earf from rogue space sharks.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 06:12:39 AM

Fast and Furious: Starfleet Drift.

I liked "Fast Trek: Beyond & Furious"

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 02:57:46 PM

Hey guys, remember Guardians of the Galaxy when they had that classic Earth rock music and all the space people were like WHUUUUT?  Let's do that, guys.

Also space elves because it worked for Thor and them hobbit movies.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 03:09:48 PM

Hey guys, remember Guardians of the Galaxy when they had that classic Earth rock music and all the space people were like WHUUUUT?  Let's do that, guys.

Also space elves because it worked for Thor and them hobbit movies.

To be fair, Sabotage was the song they used when they first introduce Kirk in the first Star Trek. 
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 03:13:49 PM

Hey guys, remember Guardians of the Galaxy when they had that classic Earth rock music and all the space people were like WHUUUUT?  Let's do that, guys.

While I hate sticking up for it, because the trailer is awful, Beastie Boys appearing in nuTrek isn't new.  Both of the new Star Trek movies have featured Beastie Boys songs so it's kind of a theme.  Sabotage was in the first one when you're introduced to Kirk as he steals a car as a kid and a remix of Body Movin' is played when Kirk is gettin' it on with some alien cat twins in the sequel.

If anything it's sad that they're recycling the same song.  They should've used Intergalactic...

Edit: Evildrider beat me to it.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Beyond  
Jump to: