Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Beyond 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Beyond  (Read 33829 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: August 19, 2016, 07:03:24 AM

It's actually a really good movie and probably the best of the reboot films. I'd put it at about 3rd or 4th best Star Trek movies though to be fair, TNG only had one good movie, TOS had 2 and a half (the whale movie hasn't aged well) and the reboot has 2 good movies. So it's not a huge amount of competition.

I'm not sure what the heavy handed message he's referring to is. Probably the bit about the soldier who didn't adjust well to post war life or something? The rest of his rantings seem to indicate he didn't pay attention to the movie. In short, Furiously, judge for yourself but I had more or less the opposite reaction he did. Disclaimer: I tend to be less harsh and jaded than most of the people on f13.
If you didn't see the heavy handed message, you were the one not paying attention.

All three of the new Treks were disappointing. This one hurt most because Pegg said he understood what was wrong with the prior ones... and it was worse in many of those ways. Turning the radio up wins the day? Ugh.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: August 19, 2016, 12:18:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLoq9JojZNE I thought it was pretty cool in this scene.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: August 19, 2016, 12:46:56 PM

The Voyage Home is still the best of all the Star Trek films, and you all know it

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: August 19, 2016, 06:29:54 PM

The Voyage Home is still the best of all the Star Trek films, and you all know it

I can't help but imagine Ben Carson saying that, with that exact expression.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #144 on: September 05, 2016, 07:45:40 PM

Watched it in a hotel room at PAX. Was a little inebriated, but could still tell it was the best of the new ones, and probably top 5 overall. Sure, you can laugh at the Sabotage sequence, but it was fun, and it was a typical Trek reversing of the tachyon beam type solution. Only real complaint was that I didn't like Jayla as much as I should have.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #145 on: September 05, 2016, 08:44:03 PM

That's likely because there was I think supposed to be more of her character that ended up on the cutting room floor. They really needed more of her.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: September 06, 2016, 08:45:30 AM

I think they couldn't decide whether the planet itself was interesting. They started to suggest it was a kind of shipwreck/castaway planet full of people like Jaylah--that the bad guy was constantly bringing down ships and some survivors managed to keep away from his troops and his tendency to siphon off the life of captives. So we only get one establishing scene with her fighting off the other goobers, to keep the whole thing streamlined and to make sure each of the major Enterprise characters got one scene or schtick, and that the big action sequences got sufficiently large gobs of screentime. But that's the problem. Imagine a film that was just about the Enterprise near the end of its five-year mission getting drawn to a shipwreck/castaway planet, getting wrecked, surviving crew having to fight their way through a bunch of motley castaway aliens, making friends and alliances (a mini-Federation of castaways) and then taking on the big bad, who turns out to be a Crazy Captain Who Is About to Launch His Evil Plan. Sort of the same story, but Jaylah and the planet would be the centerpiece instead of all the other stuff going on.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #147 on: December 17, 2016, 06:32:17 PM

This was much less satisfying than I wanted.  Somehow they missed on the little snippets of character development that they won with on the previous two movies.  I liked it, and will watch it again, but it just wasn't as good. 
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #148 on: December 18, 2016, 10:03:27 AM

Watched this last night.  It was terrible.

I wonder if they won't pause again soon for another reboot or actually invent some new characters and stories.  Seems to work for Disney with SW.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:15:24 AM by Soln »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #149 on: December 18, 2016, 10:08:06 AM

They're going to have to figure something out with their Chekhov dead. It made 343 on a 185 budget, so it was lukewarm once you account for marketing. Maybe it will take a pause if the VOD Trek does badly.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: December 18, 2016, 01:25:54 PM

Stop the films. The core of the setting works best in episodic TV.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: December 18, 2016, 10:40:00 PM

I think films should be saved for things that are too expensive to do properly in the tv-series while being part of the tv-series continuum so you don't have to do a whole lot of exposition and the main characters are well defined without cramming it all into the movie.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: December 19, 2016, 04:24:08 AM

Problem is nothing to do with the setting.

The problem is the people doing this are not good at what they  do.

This has always been Star Trek's problem. Most of the TV shows are shit for the same reason.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 19, 2016, 05:01:17 AM

They're going to have to figure something out with their Chekhov dead.

Its ok, they can feed him Tribble blood.

Yes, still bitter.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #154 on: December 19, 2016, 05:11:36 AM

Problem is nothing to do with the setting.

The problem is the people doing this are not good at what they  do.

This has always been Star Trek's problem. Most of the TV shows are shit for the same reason.

I don't wholly agree. I think they're passably good at what they do, they're just trying to do it with the wrong property AND want the audience to associate the 50+ years of good memories with the things that go against the principle of the original two series.

It's the same problem Hollywood has with most projects these days. "Lets market on an existing brand and twist it to what sells/ is acceptable today because that's easier than trying to come up with a whole new brand."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: December 19, 2016, 05:16:53 AM

Definitely agree they are trying to do the wrong thing. They are trying to do MCU in the Trek universe. That was fun for one movie, could have been fun a little longer probably, and could have been profitable for much longer if they'd been better at it.

But there isn't any inherent reason you can't make a blockbuster with thinking in it. I want a Christopher Nolan Star trek!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Beyond  
Jump to: