Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  (Read 128486 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: January 09, 2018, 12:57:15 PM

I wish I understood what the CBS people were thinking. They've added the show to Amazon Prime--but you have to pay extra on top of your Amazon Prime subscription to see it. Wait, what? Oh, I get other CBS shows in there too, thanks for nothing. Nope, not gonna do it.

Do you US people not get this on Netflix?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: January 09, 2018, 01:17:33 PM

CBS is using it as the flagship show on their new streaming service. They also sold it to CraveTV in Canada so it's not on Netflix here either. The rest of the world has it on Netflix as is right and proper.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: January 09, 2018, 01:28:24 PM

I guess I should be thankful individual channels don't go around trying to run their own subscription services over here.

It isn't the cost I'd object to - its managing however many subscriptions.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: January 09, 2018, 05:43:03 PM

This is fundamentally my issue. I do not want another subscription. Period. I might be fine with paying out the money a la carte, but I want to pay through one of the already innumerable payment streams I'm sunk into. I object profoundly to the request for another subscription.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #319 on: January 09, 2018, 06:03:28 PM

Yeah, been saying for years the ultimate end state (ideally, obviously corporations are greedy fucks who will resist) would be a single subscription (be it to a cable company or netflix type place) where you pay al a carte for access (instant, any time, no commercial access) to their entire catalog of content.  You just add what ever amount of money onto your monthly subscription.  Hell, the way the content producers  and ip owners are eating each other lately, wont even be that many options.

How long it takes to get to that point, who knows.  Everybody seem to be pulling content from netflix to try their own streaming service, but that's long term self defeating because except for maybe Disney and HBO, they don't have enough to stand on their own.  Ultimately, it benefits both sides to have a single platform to distribute everything on.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: January 10, 2018, 04:38:39 PM

This is fundamentally my issue. I do not want another subscription. Period. I might be fine with paying out the money a la carte, but I want to pay through one of the already innumerable payment streams I'm sunk into. I object profoundly to the request for another subscription.

You can literally do this through amazon prime right now for this specific channel/show, as mentioned earlier.  If you're fast, you can even binge the whole thing in the free trial and never look back.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: January 10, 2018, 07:21:32 PM

More from this episode re: Stamets

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:02:32 PM by Special J »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: January 11, 2018, 04:19:02 AM

Edit :  Stop it dude.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: January 11, 2018, 07:14:21 AM

More from this episode re: Stamets

Although he still seems to be good? Maybe the real Stamets was secretly evil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #324 on: January 13, 2018, 07:17:47 PM

Meh, there were plenty of non-evil types in the mirror universe. Most of them ended up dead but they were there.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: January 13, 2018, 09:12:08 PM

Hell, Spock in the original Mirror episode was not exactly Evil.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: January 14, 2018, 09:16:57 PM

Ok, we did the three-day trial, 3 episodes in. My video-game savvy daughter said in the middle of episode 2, "It's more like a sidequest in Mass Effect". Which was not a criticism from her.

I've been trying to avoid overt spoilers, but the discussion here mentioning the Mirror Universe pretty much was like "Yeah, I see that even in Episode 3"--"black alert", lots of stuff. Ok. We will see where it goes, at any rate.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: January 25, 2018, 07:27:04 PM

We're caught up, and damn them, we'll stuck with the sub for now.

Um, it's good? I think? I'm interested, at least.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #328 on: January 25, 2018, 09:09:23 PM

It's predictable as fuck but it delivers that predictability with such precision that I'm fully on board.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #329 on: January 25, 2018, 09:30:12 PM

We're caught up, and damn them, we'll stuck with the sub for now.

Um, it's good? I think? I'm interested, at least.

I still like it. Really enjoyed the latest episode.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: January 26, 2018, 07:44:17 AM

I mean, yeah, I totally got from about episode 3 that the captain had a dark secret, and once he had his post-coital conversation with the Admiral I realized what it was.

What I can clearly see coming is something like a better ST: Voyager. Saru's going to be captain, he's going to be in over his head, he's going to turn over command to Burnham. At that point, either:

a) they're going to stay in the Mirror Universe and this becomes a Mirror Universe show; they're going to change the history of the Mirror Universe and that will let them avoid the timeline questions that would loom large if they were back in the 'main' universe

b) they're going to come back into the 'main' universe via the mycelium network but it will be in the far future of the Federation and they'll say, "See, we always were going to tell a story about the post-DS9/post-Voyager ST universe, we fooled ya"

c) they're going to jump to other parallels via the mycelium, and it basically becomes Star Trek: Sliders.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:34 AM

I can't see it being a long term mirror universe show. I suspect the mycellium is almost gone in its current form  but there will be a new rule changing setting or tech.

They seem keen to keep the setting in flux. The clue is in the name. They don't want the crew or viewer in any kind of comfort zone and changing the premise every few episodes is the weapon of choice.

I don't see burnham as captain any time soon (maybe for a short arc) because it would be hard to maintain her as an outsider, which is too useful when the setting is 'weird shit happening'.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: January 26, 2018, 12:14:40 PM

It's possible that Prime Lorca comes back into the mix too, I suppose. You know, every Starfleet vessel by TNG's time should have had:

a) quantum scanning of all crew members, once per month
b) "surgically-altered Klingon agent" scanning of all crew members, once per month
c) shapechanger/possessed person psych tests once per month (what the fuck was Troi doing if not something like that?)
d) shapechanger/possessed/evil twin lockdown protocols

In *any* timeline all this shit happens a ton. And every single time, they act like it's the first time ever.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: January 27, 2018, 07:59:13 AM

Instructing one crew member to chew scenery is an excellent way to turn in a low budget episode.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: February 01, 2018, 05:40:05 AM

This is a pretty good take on what the showrunners might have been up to. I particularly like the point that if the Discovery didn't seem like it was a Starfleet vessel, it turns out that it wasn't: https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/7uatct/why_discovery_didnt_feel_like_star_trek_at_first/

Mirror Lorca was trying to run it like a Terran vessel, and using the war as his excuse. I think looking back, one thing I like is that they realized that a Terran in the Prime universe would feel that same way as Burnham did having to pretend to be her counterpart--that it would slowly eat away at your soul. There's all these moments now where you can kind of see that Mirror Lorca was playacting at being a Starfleet officer and sometimes struggling with it--look at the desperate and unconvincing way he invokes PTSD and so on after Admiral Fuckbuddy confronts him about his attitude. But like the linked article points out, he was organizing his crew like it was a Terran crew, which is why everything felt kind of off.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: February 02, 2018, 08:09:28 AM

I'm not sure why Michael thinks Mirror Georgiou is her friend who must be saved while Mirror Lorca is an evil who must die. If anything, from what she and the viewer has seen, Mirror Georgiou is worse.

I know Georgiou looks like her surrogate mother while Lorca looks like some guy she hardly knew (I've lost track of whether Michael ever met the "real" Lorca at all) but she knows they are different people. I mean, it's Mirror Georgiou that led an empire that kept Mirror Saru as a slave. If she's just behaving irrationally due to her guilt at betraying Georgiou then fair enough, but I'm not sure the show is really telling that story.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: February 02, 2018, 09:35:01 AM

Disclosure: I haven't watched any of this, all my info comes from reading this thread.

I can't help but wonder where they are going with this.  If they somehow make it back, how will the writers justify that no one ever heard of the mirror universe or the Discovery?  To Khaldun's point: "And every single time, they act like it's the first time ever."  Or, they are stuck in the mirror universe forever, in which case I'm already tired of the show concept and I haven't seen it at all.  I'm really struggling with how they thought this was a good idea.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: February 02, 2018, 12:33:47 PM

It is fairly clear that they aren't getting stuck in any situation for more than a few episodes.

The concept is 'what do star fleet people do under weird circumstances'. They flip the setting around every few episodes, and so far every time they've done it it has paid off.

In the last switch they've even managed to turn Saru and Tilly into competent worthwhile personalities. Show has earned a good amount of trust from me.

As an aside, what makes you think nobody in the future settings had heard of mirror universe? Probably isn't general knowledge and it isn't somewhere people can drop in every day, but it is known this can happen. There is a TNG episode that has like a dozen of alternate quantum thingys, and DS9 also had a plotline in mirror universe.

One thing I really give zero fucks about on this show is 'how come Kirk/Picard/Sisko didn't explictly mention this event'. Even the spore drive can be trivially waved away by 'it broke and we can't build one without another space bug'.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:47:44 PM by eldaec »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: February 02, 2018, 07:38:48 PM

Yeah, I think if this piles into either the Abrams timeline or the TOS timeline, it's going to be "Starfleet has decided that even mentioning the spore drive will get you executed" kind of thing. I mean, they had a death penalty for even mentioning Talos IV, so this is just more of the same.

The next thing they need to do is start building a sense of "crew". Robot lady, black lady, lady with the thing on her forehead, earnest dude who mans one of the stations, they have now all got to be given some personalities. They did a good job with Tilly--I kept calling her "Cadet Tumblr" in the first three episodes she appeared in, but she seems pretty real to me now as a character.

I'm fine with Burnham saving Mirror Georgieu--precisely because it's a stupid thing to do. It was an impulse--an emotion. It was stupid and she's going to pay a price for it in this coming episode, I'm sure. I like characters who make dumb but understandable decisions.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: February 03, 2018, 06:36:06 AM

Showrunners claim they are working on the basis they have ten story years before tOS starts and if the show keeps going they have basic plan for getting the universe where it needs to be.

Given all they have do is break the spore drive and flip the Klingons and Federation into a cold war, that doesn't sound too hard to do.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: February 03, 2018, 06:42:07 AM

I'm looking at it from a paradigm shift perspective.  There is every reason to let everyone know about multiple universes (if you transport someone, and all the sudden they have a goatee... yeah, that's bad), and virtually no reason to keep it quiet.  I'm also not a fan or the, "we're all good, they're all evil", aspect of the mirror universe.  Largely because at every point during the continuity, the goatee universe always seems to have the same folks, technology, etc, as this one, even thought they are all way more stabby.

I didn't know that about Talos IV, the way I remember it from TOS was that the Talosians themselves were largely responsible for it not being widely known.  I thought that the Federation had a quarantine on data and access, not that it was a capital offence to even mention Talos IV - which seems super not-a-utopia way of going about things.

"It is fairly clear that they aren't getting stuck in any situation for more then a few episodes" - is this the case?  It seems like the entire first season is wrapped up with discovering and escaping the mirror universe.  Am I misreading what's in this thread?

Edit: tried to fix horrible sentence
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:41:44 PM by Typhon »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: February 03, 2018, 06:53:44 AM

We had 2 episodes on USS Yeoh, 2 coping with the ethics of murderous space woodlice and albino klingons, 2 facing down that guy from the office,  3 with "holy shit solve the cloaking thing or we all die" and stripy face klingons, then a whopping 4 in the mirror universe - though even there it has been under two distinct premises.

So yes.

I think it is safe to say Discovery doesn't plan to establish a status quo.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: February 03, 2018, 03:37:45 PM

The Talos IV episode basically says: any mention of this planet = big trouble; going there is automatic death. Meaning, there's intense secrecy about it, which is curious.

The problem with the "we have ten years to TOS" thing, is that if it's the pre-Abrams universe, Kirk is out there doing shit already.

It does explain why  they got so aggressive about Axanar, because they arguably want to DO Axanar.

But so far I'm not seeing anything that absolutely can't be reconciled with the pre-Abrams timeline. I'm seeing stuff where they'd be better off just doing another reboot, but then, Abrams would have been better off doing a reboot without time travel bullshit too.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #343 on: February 04, 2018, 10:21:51 PM

This is Prime timeline, not Kelvin.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: February 05, 2018, 01:36:14 PM

Sure, Kirk is out there doing shit. If they need him in season 4 maybe he'll pop up.

Till then, it's a big old sky.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: February 09, 2018, 02:48:16 AM

Ok, the bit where the admiral lady introduces the new captain is dumb.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: February 09, 2018, 05:14:34 AM

Colossally dumb. The show very nearly lost all three of us watching at that point. I know it's traditional for Starfleet admirals to be complete dumbfucks and this one has slightly more excuse that the usual (losing a war) but still. Just keep her down in a secure room and let her give advice. Making an evil duplicate the actual captain of the ship--and also letting a Manchurian candidate Klingon walk around free--just adds up to such WTF stupidity. At some point I just cannot relax and enjoy the show if it requires this level of dumb.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: February 09, 2018, 10:35:15 AM

Letting Ash walk around with a funny bracelet is fine.

It is exactly what Picard would have done.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: February 09, 2018, 12:25:05 PM

Maybe not in the middle of a war with the Klingons and after the guy murdered Counselor Troi.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: February 09, 2018, 12:31:29 PM

I really would not put it past them. If they locked up Data every damn time Lore took him over or a virus made him go crazy I doubt he'd have had time to make it to 2nd officer.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  
Jump to: