Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  (Read 128479 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: October 23, 2017, 09:53:17 PM

Anecdotally, most people I know IRL who know what Trek is but aren't hard core Trek nerds really like this series.  That pretty much describes myself as well.  This doesn't seem any more or less retarded than other Trek series I have seen.  Visually, it is actually quite impressive.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #281 on: October 23, 2017, 11:39:07 PM

I think I'm most amused by the people who are *so mad* that the ships, etc, are fancier than the 60s era sets from TOS and *that's* what ruins it for them.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #282 on: October 24, 2017, 11:54:17 PM

Anecdotally, most people I know IRL who know what Trek is but aren't hard core Trek nerds really like this series.  That pretty much describes myself as well.  This doesn't seem any more or less retarded than other Trek series I have seen.  Visually, it is actually quite impressive.

Same. Still happy.

I'm quite happy in this universe.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #283 on: October 25, 2017, 03:19:07 AM

I think I'm most amused by the people who are *so mad* that the ships, etc, are fancier than the 60s era sets from TOS and *that's* what ruins it for them.

I haven't seen any of it but I'm mad that they pussied out and made another prequel instead of advancing the timeline.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #284 on: October 25, 2017, 06:22:43 AM

At this point they're in the same uncomfortable space as Lucasfilm was with that. Years and years of garbage material and infill that conflicts with each other and fans are rabid about.

Not to mention the questions of "where the fuck do we go from here" with all the legacy crap from the actual TV series. Voyager dodged a shit ton by not being in the Alpha Quadrant, but any "future" Trek has to deal with Voyager's shit, Gamma Quadrant shit and the rest. Because fans will demand it.

Better to do a prequel and punt, creatively, than to be guaranteed to piss off your fan base by ignoring it all. Or worse; decide to dump it all as garbage.  Disney took (and takes) a lot of flack from that, but being that they're movies they can dodge the most rabid fans and go to the general public for the 3-4 weeks it takes to make the money back.  TV series don't have that luxury and have to keep those rabid fans who'll erode long-term ratings by shitposting.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: October 25, 2017, 04:27:51 PM

Star Trek's basic ideas are sound; there is a good argument for just starting over in order to move past the naive New Fronterism. I just rewatched the TOS one with the two guys who are half-face black and white and folks who have long eye-rolled at it are right--it is essence of smug 60s liberalism. Imagine G'Kar and Londo on Babylon 5 reduced to just being complete moral mirrors of each other in a simplistic way and having Sheridan mock them as unevolved dummies who just need to luv each other. The reason that whole thing works is that it takes the bleak history of the relationship between the Centauri and the Narn. The dumb episode with the Draal on B5 got close to that but at least it was for laughs, compared to the deathly serious TOS presentation of the same. Voyager could have been a version of that (namely: once the security blanket of the Federation is removed, do these people become even slightly more interesting and resonant with our own times?) but they really fucked that one up.

So if you don't reboot to make the ST universe a more dramatically interesting and complex one (while keeping the optimism), you have to figure out some post-Voyager rupture that soft-reboots the established universe. Say, the replicators and the translators and the transporters and the post-scarcity shit stops working and the Federation has to start making harder choices again. Or you go the other direction and push the entire ST universe into a genuinely post-scarcity frame and start doing really really visionary storytelling (e.g., Banks' the Culture novels) about that. That is WAY harder. So I am sympathetic to various reboots, soft or otherwise.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: October 25, 2017, 10:43:38 PM

Or they could keep Star Trek's (utopian) society and keep exploring while emphasizing the non-interference rule more strongly (maybe after a terrible mishap from too much meddling). The moral preaching could be done not from being superior but from telling about earth's past failures (there's stuff like eugenic wars and world wars in earth's past in trek timeline).

In some ways Orville is scratching my trek itch so there's that (with interesting and likable characters trying to do the right thing) and Discovery is getting better especially if you try to forget that it's trek instead of a separate scifi ip.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: October 26, 2017, 06:34:47 PM

God, I would love some "Culture" movies or TV.  awesome, for real I think. ACK!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #288 on: October 26, 2017, 06:56:55 PM

I would commit a minor felony to get a Player of Games or Consider Phlebas miniseries made. Nothing too violent, maybe Assault With Intent.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: October 28, 2017, 03:02:14 PM

So if you don't reboot to make the ST universe a more dramatically interesting and complex one (while keeping the optimism), you have to figure out some post-Voyager rupture that soft-reboots the established universe. Say, the replicators and the translators and the transporters and the post-scarcity shit stops working

TNG worked just fine. The enterprise moves around solving problems that don't threaten to sunder the galaxy in two, but were a big deal for the people involved, despite replicators existing.

I have no issue with show runners choosing to do trek in wartime or on over-epic quests, but I hate the argument that they 'have' to.

TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and even Discovery each have a perfectly fine premise, a reasonable budget, and casts that vary from more-than--adequate to excellent. They didn't stand or fall for any more complex reason than some had better writers and directors than others.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: October 28, 2017, 05:51:28 PM

I would commit a minor felony to get a Player of Games or Consider Phlebas miniseries made. Nothing too violent, maybe Assault With Intent.

I can't find it, but somewhere there's a Banks interview where he says he'd agree to any treatment for Consider Phlebas just so long as they did justice to the escape from the Vavatch Orbital -- one scene he really really wanted to see on the big screen.

I'd love to see the final confrontation in Excession where the Sleeper Service shows what it's been up to in the back half of the book...
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: October 30, 2017, 04:59:44 PM

Episode 7

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: October 30, 2017, 08:12:39 PM

I really liked episode seven.  It was *fun* and I appreciate that.  I like that the writers clearly realized that the viewers were familiar with the concept the episode was built around, didn't waste much time revealing what was going on, and then proceeded to play with it a lot.  And Stamets was a riot.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #293 on: November 01, 2017, 03:15:27 AM

I really liked episode seven.  It was *fun* and I appreciate that.  I like that the writers clearly realized that the viewers were familiar with the concept the episode was built around, didn't waste much time revealing what was going on, and then proceeded to play with it a lot.  And Stamets was a riot.

Agree with you. Good episode, want more. 
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: November 01, 2017, 04:19:14 AM

EP7 felt more like Orville than previous episode of STD and I liked it. Maybe the show can now concentrate on being trek instead of forcing more of the main plot which I can't seem to care about.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: November 01, 2017, 04:50:09 AM

The ending was  swamp poop ... the guy murders and pillages his way through the whole episode and then his punishment is he has to marry that girl ? I get that he did not kill anybody in the final timeline, but he still is a sociopathic asshole that I would not let run around free.

Also, how convenient that his father in laws ship was just around the corner.  awesome, for real

Still a fun episode, it is getting better.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: November 01, 2017, 05:05:13 AM

The ending was  swamp poop ... the guy murders and pillages his way through the whole episode and then his punishment is he has to marry that girl ? I get that he did not kill anybody in the final timeline, but he still is a sociopathic asshole that I would not let run around free.

Also, how convenient that his father in laws ship was just around the corner.  awesome, for real

Still a fun episode, it is getting better.

I think part of it was the fact that Mudd didn't kill anyone in the last iteration of the time loop.

(but then again had this been the Lorca of previous episodes who left Mudd to be tortured in the first place then a summary execution would have been in line with the character)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #297 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:56 AM

I haven't even seen the episode yet, but from the description it sounds like they are simply calling back to the original Mudd episode (TOS) where Kirk's punishment for him was to strand him on planet with robot versions of his ex wife.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: November 03, 2017, 08:34:35 AM

Well I really enjoyed it.  It was more of a self-contained episode, which I'd like to see sprinkled in among the more serialized ones.  It was pretty fun.

I know Mudd comes off as really murdery but he knows they don't really count. And yeah the end was pretty convenient, but I'm ok with it.  The somewhat TOS-style civilian outfits at the end were pretty cool.

<spoiler>Between this episode and "I, Mudd" that is a rough looking 10 years for Stella</spoiler>

re: ep 6. Whether it was by accident or design they ended up with some pretty good in-show marketing.  I know a lot of people that want 'DISCO' shirts now.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #299 on: November 13, 2017, 03:13:26 AM

Re the ending of the latest episode: never was a telegraphed thing so telegraphed. "One last time" and "no more after this" and "we'll do all these things after this final time" etc etc.

Which followed "these things we are wearing will make us undetectable" and "confirming our things that we are wearing are making us undetectable". Write better!
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: November 13, 2017, 04:08:07 AM

Once again Lorca goes against orders and makes a nice speech about how "the crew were scientists but now they are warriors!" keeping up with the Trek ethos. again they teleported the people on board the Ship of the Dead proving that Klingons should be easy fodder for Federation (nothing to stop beaming a few bombs in instead)

bonus psycho points for saying:"do whatever you have to do to keep him alive until he finishes the jumps"  why so serious?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: November 14, 2017, 01:06:19 AM

To be fair beaming across a bomb wouldn't have provided a general solution for cloaking.  I didn't feel the need for a line of bad exposition in which star fleet engineers spout technobabble at each other that they already know to explain why the materials in a bomb won't make it across in the window while shields are going up.

I just assumed Klingons used tachyons somehow.

It is always tachyons.

Current show status  :  Quite Good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:48 AM

When doing a clandestine mission to infiltrate an enemy ship to plant sensor beacons, you might want to use something a little less conspicuous than a large cylinder that announces itself with bright blue lights.  You might not want to stamp a return address on it too.  why so serious?

That was pretty busy episode.  It had some ups and downs, but overall I'm liking the show quite a bit now.  

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:59:55 AM by Special J »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: November 16, 2017, 12:00:07 AM

The sensors did make me laugh.

I could believe he did the thing in your spoiler to go investigate the anomoly more readily than for the reason you wrote.

But I think it is even more likely this is a plot mechanic to reintroduce albino-klingon-dude now that stripy-klingon-dude is dead.

Remember sneaky-torture-klingon-lady is aligned to albino-klingon and is still on the discovery for some reason.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: November 16, 2017, 05:22:25 AM

Finally, nude female Klingons ... that took them forever.  ACK!

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: November 16, 2017, 05:24:33 AM

How big were their... tentacles?

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: December 08, 2017, 04:28:59 AM

I just finished the first 9 episodes. I thought it was fantastic.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: January 07, 2018, 06:52:09 AM

I wish I understood what the CBS people were thinking. They've added the show to Amazon Prime--but you have to pay extra on top of your Amazon Prime subscription to see it. Wait, what? Oh, I get other CBS shows in there too, thanks for nothing. Nope, not gonna do it.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: January 07, 2018, 07:01:26 PM

First episode after the break and it was pretty cool.  Some suspicions answered

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:18:22 AM by Special J »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: January 08, 2018, 09:30:38 AM

First episode after the break and it was pretty cool.  Some suspicions answered

Was a good return episode.

Fake edit: Fun fact: This episoide was directed by Jonathan Frakes, who just directed an episode of Orville. We live in interesting times.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:35:58 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: January 08, 2018, 10:12:24 AM

Frakes directed a few TNG episodes too. On his third outing they gave hims a story where the enterprise was trapped in an endlessly repeating time loop with the same things happening over and over, probably to prove he is not a Director, and if so it failed because he pulled it off, creating an interesting episode.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: January 08, 2018, 11:11:48 AM

Yeah, but he rescued Frasier from the Typhon Expanse, so fuck that guy.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #312 on: January 08, 2018, 12:51:51 PM

Just started watching this.  Really impressed.  Super surprised how good it is.  Writing, Production (incl. CGI), pacing, most of the Acting.  Really, really good.

Khaldun: just opt for the 3-day free trial on Prime.  Show is worth it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: January 08, 2018, 01:24:35 PM

Narrator :  It wasn't.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #314 on: January 08, 2018, 04:29:35 PM

Yeah, this episode was really good. Helluva return and a sticking farewell.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  
Jump to: