Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  (Read 128484 times)
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: October 02, 2017, 11:36:35 PM

STD doesn't feel like trek at all and I could more easily see it as a Mass Effect tv-series with some slight changes. With that in mind I'll keep watching it at least for now (especially since it's on Netflix here and not on some separate VOD service)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: October 04, 2017, 12:29:16 AM

Problem going into a trek series is always going to be how hard it is to watch it on its own merit.

What I want from a trek show is TNG but with "golden age of television" writing, production values, and continuing story. The West Wing in space, basically. I don't expect to get that - but instead of working out if this is any good I'll spend half the time working out how much better this would be with Captain Picard.

Which isn't really fair, but there you go.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: October 04, 2017, 09:24:26 AM

Why should we watch it on it's own merit when the creators didn't create it on its own merit?  It wasn't good enough to stand alone without the Star Trek label, and they didn't bother making it fit within the label.  The Expanse stands on its own.  The Orville fits in the Star Trek label.  STD can't seem to do either.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: October 05, 2017, 06:38:38 AM

Got around to actually watching ep1 to 3.

I don't understand why ep3 was not ep1.

Other that, its ok. Showed some ambition, did something new. It also justified the concept of having a main character in a trek setting - which I was sceptical of.

I suspect people are going to complain about too much grimdark.

It has already managed to be more interesting than Into Darkness was with not entirely different subject matter.

As well as walking dead lady, props to Lucius Malfoy and unlikable Engineer guy for the scenery chewing. Glowering-asian-lady-from-BSG also very watchable. In fact what struck me in ep3 is how they'd clearly taken the time to work out the personalities,  relationships, and culture on the Discovery in a way they didn't bother for the USS Michele Yeoh.

Which makes it even more inexplicable to have us sit through 2 hours of backstory before anything 'current'.

If anyone hasn't seen this yet you should start with episode 3. As well as what I wrote above the episode 1 "twist" will probably seem less idiotic if you know it to be the premise of the show.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:50:13 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #214 on: October 05, 2017, 06:40:37 AM

<wrong thread, please ignore>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:02:38 AM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: October 05, 2017, 06:43:14 AM

Seems obvious there has been some reordering, the interactions of the phlegm blob and the doctor are back to front, f0r example.

--Dave

Wrong thread ?  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: October 05, 2017, 06:45:35 AM

Having watched the third episode now, I wonder if the actor playing the captain was antagonizing the fans on purpose because that seems to be something that would fit the character he portrays.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: October 05, 2017, 07:00:45 AM

Jason Isaacs has a weird career.

But suspect you have it the wrong way around.

It's not that he gives no fucks because hes playing that character.

He's playing that character because he gives no fucks.

Imo he's the guy who should have been hired to play Littlefinger.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #218 on: October 06, 2017, 07:31:39 PM

If Rekha Sharma's involved, expect shit to go sideways in short order.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: October 07, 2017, 07:28:27 AM

If this weren't Trek, it might be enjoyable.

Alas, at this stage, I'm merely watching good actors pay the mortgage.  Malfoy was a pleasant surprise.  Also, Security Chief is hot as hell.  So.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #220 on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:44 PM

She's hot but oh-so-toxic.

See her roles in Battlestar Galactica, and the 100.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: October 09, 2017, 03:58:18 PM

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:28 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #223 on: October 09, 2017, 07:15:55 PM

The show is thoroughly mediocre, and at times really stupid.  That said, this was the best episode yet, but...

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: October 10, 2017, 12:03:28 AM

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: October 10, 2017, 01:15:39 AM

If this IS a / the mirror universe, I will lose my shit.  awesome, for real

Best part of the episode was the Klingon flirting going on. I had great fun watching the actors desperately trying to emote through that makeup.

I also wonder what "everything" is.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: October 10, 2017, 02:08:47 AM

Annnnnnnnd there goes another of my reasons.  What the fuck was that.  That was just retarded.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: October 10, 2017, 02:27:00 AM

Annnnnnnnd there goes another of my reasons.  What the fuck was that.  That was just retarded.

Bonus retard points for her being the security officer.  swamp poop
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: October 10, 2017, 02:36:32 AM

Prometheus levels of retardery.  It was truly epicly stupid bad writing.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #229 on: October 10, 2017, 06:57:07 AM

Yeah, I had to rewatch that scene because I thought that I surely must've missed something.  No...it was just really dumb.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: October 10, 2017, 09:11:36 AM

If this IS a / the mirror universe, I will lose my shit.  awesome, for real

Best part of the episode was the Klingon flirting going on. I had great fun watching the actors desperately trying to emote through that makeup.

I also wonder what "everything" is.

Though now I want a mirror universe episode where the Discovery has adequate lighting on all decks, and is entirely transparent about a thoroughly wholesome scientific mission to save kittens and orphans.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: October 11, 2017, 12:53:06 AM

I remember reading a Trek Comic once where the Mirror guys slipped into RealTrck Universe, then attacked some Klingon ships because they assumed they were Pacifists like in their universe.  awesome, for real

(This was before TNG)

Hic sunt dracones.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 11, 2017, 02:13:25 AM

Though now I want a mirror universe episode where the Discovery has adequate lighting on all decks, and is entirely transparent about a thoroughly wholesome scientific mission to save kittens and orphans.
"White Alert! Deploy the solar sail!"

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: October 12, 2017, 12:36:59 AM

The show is thoroughly mediocre, and at times really stupid.  That said, this was the best episode yet, but...

Presumably this is the whole point of the show.

Whole pages of script in the first three episodes were dedicated to telling us that main character is and always will be "star fleet".

I assume eventually she will face down Malfoy. Admittedly I have low expectations for that scene and will find myself rooting for The Inquisitor no matter how much of a bastard he has turned out to be - because everything on the Discovery is defined by its relationship to the captain and without him this would not be half as watchable.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:12:49 AM by eldaec »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: October 12, 2017, 01:08:40 AM

The problem I have is I don't care if Mike redeems herself or not.  I found her initial mutiny to be beyond stupid.  I think she should just die.

As well as all the other cast I don't care about.  I'm being serious here ;  they haven't given me ANYONE beyond Albino Nutter to even remotely care about.  And I'm rooting for the Klingon Cannibal with Respect Issues.

I mean.   It's just not good.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: October 12, 2017, 03:13:35 AM

The giant killer woodlouse seems like a nice guy.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #236 on: October 12, 2017, 04:27:14 AM

I'm quite happy in this universe.

I prefer the starker, darker sci-fis like The Expanse, Terminator and Aliens to the somewhat lighter Star Trek and Doctor Who stuff. To me, this is a darker Star Trek and I mostly like it so far. I'm a bit bored by the extended Klingon language scenes.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: October 12, 2017, 04:54:07 AM

So, you are not going to buy the nuKlingon-English Dictionary and attentd the nuKlingon language classes?

(I'm actually scared to search and see if those are actually a thing)

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: October 12, 2017, 05:28:53 AM

More observations from this week...

Ginger haired bridge lady must be getting really pissed off with the length of time spent in make up getting her war wound on just to do meaningful looks and deliver zero content dialog. I'm starting to think they filmed a selection of meaningful looks to use as library footage then gave her the year off.

I don't understand Discovery battle tactics...
1) Jump into fire fight
2) Get shot at
3) Jump out
4) ? ? ?
5) Klingons explode

Elon Musk reference was.... so bad.

I wonder how long the writers meeting was when they decided Gen Zhukov should say "Go" when Picard would have said "Engage".

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: October 12, 2017, 09:04:36 AM

I'm quite happy in this universe.

I prefer the starker, darker sci-fis like The Expanse, Terminator and Aliens to the somewhat lighter Star Trek and Doctor Who stuff. To me, this is a darker Star Trek and I mostly like it so far. I'm a bit bored by the extended Klingon language scenes.

The problem is, Star Trek is not intended to be darker sci-fi. It's intended to be an idealistic look at the future. Changing it just to change it just doesn't ring true. I let it go in the JJ movies because he went out of his way to spin things off and basically turned it all into an Alternate Universe, but even in '09 and Beyond you get a glimpse at what Star Fleet is really intended to be.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: October 12, 2017, 10:37:43 AM

That is just giving writers an excuse.

There is no reason at all that a dark scenario can't exist in star trek if well written. The underlying theme of "how far can we push tech and how do we spot ethical lines in a changing world" is extremely star trek.  The problem is there are few signs that the characters on this ship will deal with a darker scenario in a competent or interesting way. I agree the show needs hope - I think it is supposed to have it and I don't think the premise precludes it.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #241 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:31 AM

Except from what I'm seeing these guys and other fans saying it's more like:

"I'm re-writing The Lord of the Rings. Except this time it's a story about a Hobbit who steals a ring and tries to take over MIddle-Earth only to be foiled in the end by our hero, Gollum. He's the scarred and loyal pet of the true king, Soron, who is being assaulted by various squabbling warlords making him weak enough for the Hobbit to think he can win.

It's a darker story but I know I can really cash-in on the branding that was established by that less-visionary, idealist hack Tolkein."

A pure cash grab that ignores the original in favor of leveraging an established brand.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: October 12, 2017, 11:00:09 AM

Hmm. I think they're overstating it.

Its darker, but except in ep3 - most of the darkness is more 'redshirts die sometimes' and 'we aren't resolving everything this week'.

I was surprised how much of the episode 3 uncertainty was resolved in episode 4.

I'd be surprised if the woodlouse torture dilemma stays unresolved for long. And the captain doesn't seem much more of an asshole than the typical admirals that Picard or Sisko had to deal with.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:02:09 AM by eldaec »

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: October 12, 2017, 01:01:02 PM

Except from what I'm seeing these guys and other fans saying it's more like:

"I'm re-writing The Lord of the Rings. Except this time it's a story about a Hobbit who steals a ring and tries to take over MIddle-Earth only to be foiled in the end by our hero, Gollum. He's the scarred and loyal pet of the true king, Soron, who is being assaulted by various squabbling warlords making him weak enough for the Hobbit to think he can win.

It's a darker story but I know I can really cash-in on the branding that was established by that less-visionary, idealist hack Tolkein."

A pure cash grab that ignores the original in favor of leveraging an established brand.

I see you played shadow of mordor

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: October 12, 2017, 01:50:20 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking !

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  
Jump to: