Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017) 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  (Read 128500 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:25 AM

nuTrek, the beast at Tanagra.  awesome, for real
Darmok, on the ocean.

--Davr

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 10:23:06 AM

Abrams, when the walls fell.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 02:29:45 PM

To be fair to Abrams, grudgingly, Abrams Treks are movies, and movies are fundamentally different from a TV series. Most of the Next Generation movies weren't terribly in line with the series either, also focusing more on space battles, action, etc. Insurrection is the only one I'd say was close to TNG - it was still a terrible movie though.

I also agree that no matter which universe it's set it there's no need to make a big deal out of it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 07:41:30 PM

TNG movies were just extended TV shows.  That's all they were and they were fine as that.  Dunno why people expected more.
As for Abrams et. al., are they even capable of making an episodic show???  Because if he serializes Trek, I probably won't watch it.  (I'm lying)

But really, they need to let people (even amateurs) write good stories/scripts that are self-contained in each epi. and just run with it.  Keep it simple.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 08, 2015, 01:06:01 AM

They really should make two shows. One about the ship and it's adventures and the other about the janitor on said ship and his poker buddies. I'd be willing to bet the poker buddies show would end up being the ratings earner.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 08, 2015, 02:39:45 AM

I hope it's a new crew, new ship set in the new universe.  Make it accessible to folks who've never seen Trek but with a few nods to the history.  The pay wall is dumb, but I'll shell out $6 for it, see how it goes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 08, 2015, 05:09:26 AM

Kurtzman has a pretty good resume of making episodic TV. Actually I think his episodic work is better than his film work.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 07:09:52 AM

Arise!

It's not much but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

I remain ever hopeful.  Very excited to Nicholas Meyer brought on board.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 07:43:15 AM

I'm still seeing tons of bitching about the paywall thing. I think that, more than anything else, is what is likely to doom this project.

The second level of bitching is about how it's obvious this is more Nu_trek than old_trek, meaning action-adventure rather than high-sci-fi and the way it deals with issues and social commentary. If they're taking that route, they'd better hope the Nu_trek fans are willing to pay, because the old fans won't.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 08:16:58 AM

Yeah, well I'm still not sure how the paywall plays out.  That's my biggest fear is the paywall screws any chance it has at succeeding.  If the whole season drops at once, I could see a lot of 1 month and out signups. (Edit: appears they will be rolled out weekly)

In Canada it will likely end up licensed by one of the shitty Netflix competitors owned by Canada's TV oligopoly.  CBS has been pulling all the old series off Netflix I presume to hide behind their paywall, though there is one here that still has TOS and TNG.  Space channel has also dropped all their Star Trek re-runs.

I think the show goes nowhere without old fans, and I'm hoping some of the people they brought on is a sign that that's the direction they're taking.  I begged for a new show and I'm getting it so I'm staying positive until something comes out.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:26:35 AM by Special J »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: May 19, 2016, 09:39:29 AM

If this is definitely behind a paywall when it comes out AND it's dropped weekly as opposed to all at once, it has zero fucking chance of succeeding, especially as you know there's going to a fuckton of goddamn ads on it (even if they are just in-house CBS ads). Millenials sure as fuck aren't going to put up with weekly drip scheduling as well as having to sit through ads. For that matter, neither will I but then they lost me at paywall. Fuck a bunch of paying for 1 series.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 19, 2016, 11:39:07 AM

I am still assuming the paywall idea is some sort of exotic IP maneuver right now designed to compel some possible distribution channel partner to offer a premium deal to the producers in order to get the distribution rights for the show. E.g., "We don't *have* to let you have the show, we're ready to do it ourselves, but pay us $$$ and you can have it."  Otherwise this is going to be New Coke levels of stupid.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 19, 2016, 12:21:53 PM

Some people liked New Coke though...

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #48 on: May 19, 2016, 01:50:36 PM

Eh, this will be put up on usenet, which is where I will get it. The paywall thing is a terrible idea unless it comes with access to the complete CBS/paramount library. I'm already pissy enough about having to have cable TV to get decent internet access to use netflix. I'll be damned if I'm going to support the opening moves in having to pay extra for streaming shows that should be on a channel I'm already paying to get.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 19, 2016, 07:44:20 PM

There's going to be a long and slow movement, but I think we'll eventually end up with a small number of on demand service they each have a share of the big Library. Instead of paying for cable or satellite, you'll be paying these on demand services so that you can get access to the shows that you like. The thing I fear is these on demand Services moving to the Disney animated movie model where certain films enter release for a short period of time and then are put into a vault for a prolonged period of time giving you no access to the show in order to build up an appetite for it again.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 19, 2016, 08:07:30 PM

Yeah, I can live without a CBS bill every month. 
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #51 on: May 19, 2016, 09:52:40 PM

Instead of paying for cable or satellite, you'll be paying these on demand services so that you can get access to the shows that you like.

Still need the internet access, which is bundled with cable for $120 a month or by itself for $115. Thanks for that bundling discount Time Warner.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:10 PM

Over time, there will be more options for internet access. The monopolies and price-fixing that exist today have a finite life span. Regardless, there is a petition going around to try and get Nathan Fillion to be the next captain for the show. They've been a lot of decisions that are making it easy for me to pass on this show, but Fillion being the captain might pull me back in. However, there is no reason to believe some petition is going to have any impact on the casting of the show whatsoever.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #53 on: May 21, 2016, 06:23:06 AM

They have no lifespan in a significant number of cities because the lines are privately owned by the cable companies. Unless the cities or a private entity come in and install Fiber on their own, the cable companies have a lock on providing service.

That's before the bullshittery of the sole-provider laws passed in the 80's and 90's to "help" cities without cable access get it. A large number of those have no expiration.

The only way out at this moment is the FCC declaring internet a public utility. Which isn't going to happen if Congress has anything to say about it. They're already hard at work quietly rolling back the definition of broadband to 3mbp (not MB) and trying to undo the net-neutrality enforcement the FCC did drop.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: May 21, 2016, 09:52:39 AM

I'm lucky in that our regional wireless carrier CSpire is starting to roll out fiber to the home in select cities/neighborhoods where they get enough people to sign up before they lay down the lines. We're due for an installation sometime in the next month hopefully (they've been diligently laying the fiber lines since March). But yes, until Congress wises up (or there's a rampant plague that only targets batshit Tea Party fucks), nothing will be done to improve the overall US Internet infrastructure before the heat death of the sun.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 03:57:37 PM

Teaser trailer out of Comicon.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-2017-tv-show-discovery-trailer/

Why the hell does the new ship look like a Klingon D-7 with a saucer bolted on?

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 23, 2016, 06:47:22 PM

"Star Trek Discovery" and the ship name is USS Discovery. That doesn't explain why it looks like a Klingon ship and a Federation ship had a baby. But I gotta assume that this design was purposeful and implies the Federation and Klingons have aligned and shared tech knowledge and whatnot.

The teaser itself kinda sucked. The visuals looked like late stage Babylon 5 CGI.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 23, 2016, 07:21:46 PM

Oh god, that ship is fugly.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: July 23, 2016, 10:18:16 PM

I'm supposed to pay to watch that?

Nope.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #59 on: July 23, 2016, 11:07:43 PM

Looks like they had a very strict budget.  Luckily the intern works for free.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #60 on: July 24, 2016, 12:18:51 AM

Apparently, non-US Netflix users will have access to it...so fire those VPNs up.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: July 24, 2016, 03:22:43 PM

Good guy CBS.. knows most people might be conflicted about paying for a single show, gives a really shitty design for the centerpiece ship so you don't feel tempted.

The Enterprise's replacement at the end of Beyond wasn't much better. It was ugly too, but at least it was closer thematically.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 26, 2016, 08:17:16 AM

I dunno, I think it respects a central theme of Trek. See an Alien and PROCREATE!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 10:32:05 AM

Wow... that is horrible.

So the trailer was just the ship pulling out right? No cast, no action sequences, no brooding captain, no strange alien life... just the ship pulling out?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 10:47:51 AM

It's just a teaser.

That said, everyone everywhere hated it. You figure they would focus test something like this. I honestly haven't seen a single positive comment about it from anyone.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 11:26:58 AM

If the ship design weren't so goddamn terrible I think people would have enjoyed it more. The ships' been commissioned, just pulling out of drydock. It's the very start of its journey! Woo!

It could use some jazzing-up, for certain. You could have had some sort of narrative around it leaving drydock. Maybe some text ovelay giving info like "Class: <whatever> Crew: <blarg> Commissioned Stardate: xxxxx" before the big reveal.

As it exists, it's a terrible, uninspiring teaser lacking in any real tease. What really kills the entire thing is they made THE SHIP the focus of the entire thing and we got.. that design. If you're going minimal you'd better have something pretty goddamn kickass that you KNOW is going to generate buzz.

Instead we got, "wtf.. why is it Klingon?"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:04:57 AM by Merusk »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #66 on: July 27, 2016, 03:46:36 AM

Wow... that is horrible.

So the trailer was just the ship pulling out right? No cast, no action sequences, no brooding captain, no strange alien life... just the ship pulling out?  Ohhhhh, I see.

They don't start filming until September. They have nothing to show yet.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #67 on: July 27, 2016, 05:03:37 AM

They don't start filming until September. They have nothing to show yet.

Clearly.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #68 on: July 27, 2016, 08:25:21 PM

A show around a ship.  Pretty sure B5 and Stargate spin-off's did that.  Both were the final gasps of both franchises.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #69 on: July 27, 2016, 08:58:35 PM

As far as design goes, it looks less ridiculous than the TOS Enterprise. Even as a kid, the way that the parts looked like they were held together with Tinker Toys sticks bothered me. Don't really like the colors, really should have stuck with the classic grey on that.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  
Jump to: