Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Gabe Newell back in your wallet - Summer Sale 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gabe Newell back in your wallet - Summer Sale 2015  (Read 93673 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #140 on: June 24, 2015, 09:05:56 PM

I started going to the Jersey Shore when I was 2 or so untill I was 13.  In all that time, I don't remember seeing orange people, just very tan (like in brown leather) people.  When did they all go orange?  When that horrible show started?  It's eerie.

I haven't bought anything else.  I'm waiting for cheap ARK.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #141 on: June 24, 2015, 09:17:30 PM

I blame Willy Wonka.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: June 24, 2015, 11:15:19 PM

I started going to the Jersey Shore when I was 2 or so untill I was 13.  In all that time, I don't remember seeing orange people, just very tan (like in brown leather) people.  When did they all go orange?  When that horrible show started?  It's eerie.

I think you mean "when that incredible show started".

Also wow, Steam sale this year was a serious letdown.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: June 25, 2015, 04:33:44 AM

I've gone to South jersey beaches my whole life: Wildwood, Cape May, Ocean City, AC, etc. and I've never seen orange people. That's a North Jersey/NYC thing.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 25, 2015, 09:33:12 AM

I think they're orange because they don't go to the beach for their tan.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #145 on: June 26, 2015, 03:46:18 PM

I think you mean "when that incredible show started".

Also wow, Steam sale this year was a serious letdown.
Meanwhile, I spent over $100 on the steam sale.   ACK!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: June 26, 2015, 11:40:32 PM

Wasn't that great sale, no game I wanted was cheaper than 50%, and I think it will continue to be this way since most popular games don't drop below 50% during the first year. Outside of sales steam is pretty bad for euro customers, €60 for games like fallout, witcher and gta5 instead of the €45-€50 it used to be.  At least they got a good refund program, refunded a game I bought during the sale so that saved me €20.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:45:04 PM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 27, 2015, 12:11:38 AM

I think the only thing I got this time around was Grimrock 2.  Which is quite a neat game, by the way.

Problem with these sales now is that there are least 3 or 4 different places that are doing them at least twice a year, and by now most of us have probably gotten all the small and obscure titles that we want.  Very little seems to be left that interests me at any price, except for possibly a few newer titles and some AAA games that never seem to come down low enough to tempt me.  They are just regurgitating the same shit over an over by now.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: June 27, 2015, 06:46:30 AM

I mostly got distracted by the "monster clicker" game. The way in which people got organised to reach high levels (I believe the game is ends at 100m), wrote scripts to play the game and other communities organised to try and oppose people reaching high scores was pretty fascinating. Especially considering the game was designed to have no rewards and be a transitory experience.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 27, 2015, 04:02:07 PM

I mostly got distracted by the "monster clicker" game. The way in which people got organised to reach high levels (I believe the game is ends at 100m), wrote scripts to play the game and other communities organised to try and oppose people reaching high scores was pretty fascinating. Especially considering the game was designed to have no rewards and be a transitory experience.

I was kind of the opposite.  I really thought the game was handled really badly.  Like, I'm glad that it was interesting for some people to make scripts and things, but for the rest of us who aren't in some secret fun club it kind of sucked ass.

Like, just to pull one example off the top of my head, there's an item you could buy that would lower the cooldowns of everyone who used an ability right afterwards.  Okay, fine.  But when do you use it?  You have no way of telling people to wait a few seconds for you to click this thing.  You have no way of knowing how many people are even active or what their cooldowns are or anything like that.  There's functionally no way to use this thing "effectively," you just click it and maybe it has an effect somewhere on somebody (not that you'll ever find out one way or the other).  And on the other hand, if you're using some other item, you can't know who else has this cooldown reduction thing, and if you should use your ability now or wait a few seconds for someone else to cast the cooldown reduction or what.  It's a potentially strategic item that loses all strategic value and just becomes "sometimes something might randomly happen" because of the way the game is designed.

It's a game that claims to encourage teamwork and helping your buddies, but allows teammates to screw over everybody (either accidentally or on purpose) restricts communication and cooperation to such a degree that any tiny positive impact you have is massively outweighed by random assholes casting wormhole at the wrong time or whatever... and then what even is the point of playing at all?  I didn't think it was even possible to fuck up a clicker game this badly.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:18:15 PM by Kail »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: June 27, 2015, 04:41:16 PM

It was a shallow game, and less "connected" to the sale than the previous voting. Plus it reset at 2:00am for me. The surprise was not the game but the extent to which people (including myself) could get drawn into trying to "win" it.

The organised groups worked out how to pick a game session by it's ID and had worked out their strategy off-line. I know there were reddit and steam groups and I assume others.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #151 on: June 27, 2015, 06:04:09 PM

The only reason I played the "game" if you could call it that was to get more cards to sell.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 29, 2015, 08:09:16 AM

I bought Enslaved Odyssey to the West for $5. That was the grand total of what I spent this year for the same reasons a lot of you are already mentioning. Hell, I have so much in my steam library that I haven't installed, let alone played, that I don't need to spend another dime for a long time if I don't want to.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
WayAbvPar

Reply #153 on: July 01, 2015, 11:43:16 AM

The only reason I played the "game" if you could call it that was to get more cards to sell.

Same. I ended up two cards short of the badge. Went to check and realized it was like 10 minutes after the deadline, so I couldn't even buy them to complete it. Argh.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #154 on: July 01, 2015, 11:48:34 AM

Between the clicker game and buying random stuff I ended up with two levels of the badge, even without doing any card trading.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #155 on: July 01, 2015, 11:53:00 AM

Between the clicker game and buying random stuff I ended up with two levels of the badge, even without doing any card trading.

Mob Mob

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #156 on: July 01, 2015, 11:54:30 AM

Mob Mob

If you need any of my extra cards (are they still usable?) send me a trade request and you can have em for whatever.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 01, 2015, 07:39:42 PM

The trick is to sell your duplicates early and use the money to buy any holes later when the prices have gone down.  You'll still come out ahead after making the badge.  If you end up with enough, go for a second level.

Another is that if you get enough cards to make a badge between sales, wait for the sale to make the badge.  That usually gets you an event card for each.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:51 AM

I do my part by ignoring the whole thing.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #159 on: July 02, 2015, 11:42:19 AM

Your loss man. I'm sitting on 19 cents just waiting to go towards my next purchase.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #160 on: July 02, 2015, 12:08:18 PM

Your loss man. I'm sitting on 19 cents just waiting to go towards my next purchase.

It's the couch cushions of Steam.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 02, 2015, 02:03:14 PM

I'm sitting on $6.00 after the last sale.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: July 03, 2015, 07:20:20 PM

True, I usually end up with tree fifty or so.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Gabe Newell back in your wallet - Summer Sale 2015  
Jump to: