Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:30:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 178957 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: September 06, 2017, 12:23:13 AM

Unless The Lost are around.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: September 06, 2017, 04:33:58 AM

I didn't like Alien Rulers one bit when it was first out, might give it another try.

Bladestorm is also a very helpful thing. Though it seems to miss the Lost more often than not.

I had a fun ambush of a covert op last night where I'd put two relative noob soldiers on it--that was hairy. Good suspense about getting them out.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: September 06, 2017, 05:27:23 AM

The game seems quite buggy still, I'm fairly disappointed.

The experimental greandes and armour system is still shit also.

In most other regards they've made some significant improvements. Still, I hope they can polish it up a bit more.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: September 06, 2017, 05:59:02 AM

My strategy for covert ambushes is just to run.  If you outfit your dudes with lost grenades, it helps also.

You can usually beat in ADVENT to an exit because they'll do stupid things like, you know, cover and shielding and other daft shit.  While you just beat feet to the LZ.  Chucking a lost grenade behind you and watching them get eaten is also fun.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: September 06, 2017, 07:59:35 AM

Yeah. That's what I do too but these guys had the bad luck to run straight into a patrol on the way and got pinned down between them and Lost, and I hadn't given them a Lost grenade. But they kept running after getting chewed up some. Fun.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: September 06, 2017, 08:16:10 AM

The golden rule of covert ops troops :

Fuck those guys.

Seriously.  Fuck Those Guys.  They're the muppets you send in that you DON'T CARE ABOUT.

Hire 3 of them.  Name them after the 3 Amigos.  Thereafter, Fuck Those Guys.  If they die, hire more.  If they get promoted or bond, hooray.  But either way;  fuck those guys.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: September 06, 2017, 10:41:46 AM

I use covert ops to buff my A-Team more than anything else, my reaper templar is up to something absurd like 21 mobility.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: September 06, 2017, 01:04:01 PM

Nah.  Fuck those guys.

WayAbvPar

Reply #428 on: September 08, 2017, 06:29:51 PM

If there is a stat bonus for the mission I use one of my regulars, otherwise it is the dregs of my roster.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #429 on: September 08, 2017, 07:53:32 PM

Took out the assassin just now despite being so tired I can barely keep my eyes open and I accidentally took 5 soldiers instead of the 6 I could- and I convinced myself I hadn't bought the second squadsize upgrade.

The assassin does not last long when being double-tapped in the face with a shotgun by my ranger with a +1 shotgun damage research bonus and talon rounds.

Also, this is fantastic: https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualShyLadiesSuperVinlin

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: September 09, 2017, 05:04:13 AM

Got the last Chosen, it was the Warlock. I kinda miss them, but when they start to get close to a full bar of information, I feel like I really want to take them out. Feels like the rest of the game is the same as the pre-xpac endgame, but I will see.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: September 09, 2017, 06:33:26 AM

Got the last Chosen, it was the Warlock. I kinda miss them, but when they start to get close to a full bar of information, I feel like I really want to take them out. Feels like the rest of the game is the same as the pre-xpac endgame, but I will see.

It is and the avatars feel really lame in comparison. They should have just kept the rumored fourth faction and fourth chosen and made this into a brand new game.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: September 09, 2017, 10:28:48 AM

Yeah. That would be really great, if there was an endgame twist that relates to the Chosen.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: September 09, 2017, 10:58:36 AM

Well if you don't kill them they show up on the last mission, but that's kinda lame. The Chosen should have been the end game.

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: September 12, 2017, 02:51:40 PM

Am I the only one pretty bummed out by this expansion? Yeah it improves the game a little, but the choosen are DLC level additions, and the rest of the stuff was just light implementation of existing mods?

I'm not really seeing the value in the expansion?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: September 12, 2017, 06:01:47 PM

Don't take this wrong, but you seem to be the most joyless person on this board. Like, you are annoyed by or dislike things that even the toughest, most cynical people here kind of love. I have never gotten a clear picture of what you like.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: September 12, 2017, 08:31:14 PM

Well it's not a blog, is it? I'm not here to tell you how great my day was.

Some people tend to more strongly associate criticism with negativity than others. I'm sorry if my criticism is getting you down.

You can go to the Prometheus thread and bask in the joy of people disliking my liking of that movie, if you wish? Or all the books I've mentioned liking in the book thread, or whatever floats your boat to let you know I'm a normal functioning jukan who likes stuff, just maybe not in synch with a convention you've internalised to date...

I'm making more of an effort to express my delight of things in sync with my criticism, but it's not something that I naturally lean to when I have a particular point I'm looking to discuss.

It will make me happy it this disclaimer makes you worry less about my aptitude for joy.

I'm going hiking this weekend and have been exuberently preparing for it all week - yay!

/Crazy self justification

Anyhow, I've played hundreds hours of XCOM and XCOM2, I really enjoy it.

But this expansion feels like a collection of small DLC, rather than an expansion. I'm not finding it as different or as unified in its elements as I'd hoped.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:35:22 PM by lamaros »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #437 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:16 PM

I kind putting the expansion down in frustration, actually.  It throws too much at you way too early.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: September 12, 2017, 10:12:21 PM

It does throw a lot at you early, but I don't think it is much of a problem, especially if you've played the game without War of the Chosen installed.

Personally, I'm a bit put-off by how much easier it has made certain aspects of the game. Unless the Chosen proc certain strengths they tend to be push-overs (like everything late game they just drop when you get skills like Banish) and managing the Avatar progress is so easy that it makes the counter almost pointless as you just have so many ways to counter it. Only reason I've done black sites at all was to nuke down the Rulers.

And I say this as someone who has, generally, been very 'average' at the game. I generally played on normal difficulty, but I've been breezing through Commander difficulty and am likely going to bump it up to Legendary after this run.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: September 13, 2017, 01:19:26 AM

For me, the expansion is just that ;  it's an expansion.  It builds on the base game and adds a lot more options and things to do and 'stuff'.  It improves immensely on the base game, imo, and gives it a lot more fun as well as interest.

Now that I have it and I've completed it on 'duff mode', I would say that I think it was priced rather high for what it was, but you'd probably spend that much on a new game, which for enjoyers of XCOM, this is what it is.

I think it depends on how much you enjoyed the original and if you really see yourself going back and playing it for some really cool newness.  Let's not also forget the VAST improvements in loading times and whatnot, which I would have paid for anyway !

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #440 on: September 13, 2017, 07:19:18 AM

I've played maybe five missions so far in the goddamn Chosen assassin has shown up in three of them to randomly gank one of my four squad members before I can even fire at the bastard.  Not fun.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #441 on: September 13, 2017, 08:33:24 AM

Yeah, that's gotten really old, REALLY quick. Still not out of the first month as I keep reloading because of RNG and Chosen bullshit. I'm averaging one completed combat every 3 real-times days. So much fuckery early on.

Hearing from you guys about how fucked the late-game is doesn't make me want to continue, either. A thorough balance-leveling pass seems to have been missed.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: September 13, 2017, 08:48:53 AM

Yeah, they needed to do something to revise the late game. Either have two more-uber Chosen pop up once you're halfway up the Shadow Chamber tree, or beef up the Avatars, something significant. Having the Chosen weapons in particular lets you absolutely destroy stuff.
WayAbvPar

Reply #443 on: September 13, 2017, 08:49:02 AM

Best plan when Chosen are around (especially the Assassin) is to keep your team close together. Not close enough to eat a grenade, but close enough to be able to spot the Chosen after they hit one of your troops and fuck off. Once they are spotted they are easy to wipe out.

I finally got a "Defend the Avenger" mission. That was really fun. It was like a crossover superhero movie using 8 of my team at once. 2 sharpshooters sitting back mauling the equipment with squadsight, while everyone else advanced a bit at a time and beat each pod.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #444 on: September 13, 2017, 08:56:17 PM

Loving the hell out of this expansion.  I'd been wanting to go back and play again, forgot how good the game is.  They added a lot of nice stuff to this.

Wish there was a difficulty between commander and normal though.  I started several games as commander, since I've been playing these games for a long time, but ended up getting destroyed in all of them.  Eventually had to give up and go to normal difficulty.  While I've had a few tough spots, I've passed most missions without anybody dying, and have hit the late stage where my guys are becoming gods among men (Unlike you guys, I really enjoy it when my guys get fully buffed and unstoppable  awesome, for real).

That commander difficulty though, god it hurts.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: September 14, 2017, 02:21:13 AM

I think the main criticism you could level about the 'ease' is that the DOOMCLOCK DEATH COUNTDOWN is now absolutely trivial.  The missions to set the clock back are too easy and too numerous.  On my playthrough, keeping the clock at 2 was just a cakewalk.

And, yes, the Avatars just pale in comparison to the Chosen.  They should have been beefed up, since I giggled so hard when they turned up as 'BIG BADS' and we had all the Chosen weapons.  They're Psionic, ffs, and by that stage you have a guaranteed crit psionic rifle. 

Sooooo lol.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: September 15, 2017, 02:18:00 AM

Yeah, that's fair.  I remember in my first play through I did have to scramble a few times to keep the Avatar counter from reaching the top.  Not really a problem anymore.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #447 on: September 15, 2017, 03:53:08 AM

The Avatar project becomes literally background noise so long as the chosen and other randomness doesn't chew your roster up too bad.

The chosen are mostly a persistent but not terrible obstacle that regularly shows up unless they roll up really obnoxious combos of weaknesses/strengths. I think they do a good job of forcing you to not ignore them and definitely work better than the goddamn Alien Rulers did.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: September 15, 2017, 08:14:19 AM

I think in my playthrough the Warlock eventually was pretty tough because of Dark Events--he lost his weaknesses and gained a new strength. Plus for whatever reason, he was better at getting to a trooper he'd managed to stun and getting the info off of him.

If they decide to make another expansion that ratchets up the endgame after the Chosen go down, I'd buy that for sure. But I'd just as soon they go ahead and work on X-Com 3, which looks as if it's going to be a TFTD remake of some sort.

(I kind of hope they even go on to make a new version of X-Com Apocalypse--I actually kind of liked that game, though not as much as the first two originals.)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: September 15, 2017, 08:27:43 AM

The game has always had a problem of starting hard and becoming easier as you go along, the chosen and their rewards just make this a lot more pronounced. I've been playing the shit out of this since it came out, but I stop before the "victory lap" ending, there's really no point basically when your team is basically The Avengers.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: September 15, 2017, 08:39:25 AM

See, I get that.....

But I for one, after all the blood, hardship, and screaming profanities at my monitor, enjoy taking that victory lap with my version of the avengers (complete with different colored armored outfits and customization for each of my hard earned bad asses).   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: September 15, 2017, 08:43:08 AM

Yup

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: September 15, 2017, 03:24:25 PM

Fuck yeah. Of course I'm playing it. I like for once that I don't have an absolutely nut-crunching last boss or something. It feels right to the game--you've lost a lot of people, you've struggled through a lot: you want to fucking WIN and send them crying home to mommy.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #453 on: September 18, 2017, 07:31:06 PM

Finally got over the early content barrage and have a nice campaign rolling.  It definitely makes you use your whole roster a lot more than you had to previously, I can never find one of my top six when I need them.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: September 18, 2017, 07:54:31 PM

Yeah, that was another nice thing--it really did shake me loose of having my Magnificent Six and made me use more troopers in more ways. That was good.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2  
Jump to: