Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:40:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 178372 times)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

on: June 01, 2015, 10:49:27 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:19:30 AM

Trailer looks like Xcom goes the V route, Xcom being Freedom Fighters against an Alien Regime with good publicity. Sounds different and I'm looking forward to it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:25:58 AM

I think the trailer is not that great, or at least doesn't enthuse me as I had hoped. Not sure I like the new turn, but I still wish I could preorder it right now.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:27:00 AM

You're a strange man.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:49:03 AM

This reminds me...I need to go back and finish the original and the expansion.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:52:11 AM

I am so down for what they are selling. It may be the first game I buy at full price since the last X-Com.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 02:20:11 PM

I thought the beginning of the trailer seemed more like Syndicate/Syndicate Wars.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 02:50:12 PM

In the meantime, 'the long war' mod is fantastic if you need more xcom.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:57:03 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:42:07 PM

Looks pretty good.  I'll keep an eye out for it.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:27:48 PM

In the meantime, 'the long war' mod is fantastic if you need more xcom.

Yes. Stop playing the vanilla game, this mod is amazing.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:44:29 PM

Somewhere in a secret base, the A-Com commander is clawing his scaly skin off with frustration because there's been another UFO attack and terror mission engaged by the human invaders and too many of its troops are wounded.

YEAH WHAT'S IT FEEL LIKE HUH YOU LIKE THAT
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:17 PM

Why is this called 'xcom 2' and not 'xcom 8'?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 11:23:44 PM

I'm pretty sure most fans of the franchise(s) would like to forget everything that happened between TFTD and nuXCOM as well as whetever that third-person shooter game was. So that'd make this game 'xcom 4' at most.

In other news, Firaxis admits that Gollop Was Right!  awesome, for real https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/605471960672444416
@julian_gollop Yes, well, I have come to humbly accept that you were basically right on everything.  Even the snakes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:25:17 PM by Zetor »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 01:29:13 AM

What's that in relation to ?  Was there some kind of debate about something ?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 01:30:17 AM

I look forward to proclaiming this game to be a piece of shit.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 01:36:45 AM

What's that in relation to ?  Was there some kind of debate about something ?

Gollop tweeted saying

Oooo more XCOM, with procedurally generated maps this time:

And Jake Solomon responded with the above.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 01:46:10 AM

No, I read that.  But I wanted to know if there was anything 'behind it' beyond the giggle.

Like, was there a reason or argument as to why Snakemen weren't in it ?  Did Gollop protest ?  Was there a reason or similar protest about maps ?

Clearly not, fair enough.

(Also, speaking as one of the boards Ophidophobes, I'm really not happy about the snakemen being back.  Especially that constricting shit you see on the trailer.  No. No.  Hell, No.)

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 07:22:44 AM

But they're so bitey.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 09:42:29 AM

There was LOTS of bitching from the fan community when the last one released without Snakemen. I recall reading that they couldn't get the pathing or animation right at the time but that may have been smokescreen.

Gollop's complaint list can be seen here:
http://www.pcgamer.com/x-coms-creator-julian-gollop-on-new-xcom-would-i-have-designed-the-game-in-the-same-way-i-would-have-to-say-no/

Obviously, being the original designer folks were interested in his take on it. TLDR list is:

* Too difficult on normal difficulties
* Too easy to play far into a game without knowing you're fucked
* Not deploying satellites "correctly" fucks your game, leading to point 2
* Mission maps were too repetitive
* Terror mission choices were too easy to select one that was 'bad'
* Geoscape didn't matter. "..The Interceptors are based in each region. I guess my original game was a bit more simulation-ny and the new game is a bit more board game-y.”"

Full interview: http://www.pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-interview-on-x-coms-old-and-new-the-ghost-recon-strategy-that-never-was-ai-auteurs-and-fork-my-fruit/

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:37 AM

Aha.  That explains it all.  Cheers.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 12:36:55 PM

I'm pretty sure most fans of the franchise(s) would like to forget everything that happened between TFTD and nuXCOM as well as whetever that third-person shooter game was. So that'd make this game 'xcom 4' at most.

In other news, Firaxis admits that Gollop Was Right!  awesome, for real https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/605471960672444416
@julian_gollop Yes, well, I have come to humbly accept that you were basically right on everything.  Even the snakes.

X-Com Apocalypse was quite different after UFO and TFTD, but a very good game.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 04:09:22 PM

No, I read that.  But I wanted to know if there was anything 'behind it' beyond the giggle.

Like, was there a reason or argument as to why Snakemen weren't in it ?  Did Gollop protest ?  Was there a reason or similar protest about maps ?

Clearly not, fair enough.

(Also, speaking as one of the boards Ophidophobes, I'm really not happy about the snakemen being back.  Especially that constricting shit you see on the trailer.  No. No.  Hell, No.)

Thanks for the (trigger?) warning. I could barely stomach them in the original game. I'm assuming they are much more realistic this time. I guess I'll have to pass (or take more meds).

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 06:29:50 PM

I'm assuming they are much more realistic this time.
They put tits on them (so I guess they're supposed to be snakewomen this time) which looks so silly it may create a "wtf, really" reaction strong enough to cancel the fear, though probably not. ACK!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 04:15:18 AM

I didn't notice the tits.  Due to the constriction and fangs. 

The Great Big, Sharp, Pointy Teeth.

(Man, I don't even have to fake the accent with that line.)

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 07:04:00 AM

Couldn't bother finding the old XCOM thread.
As noted in the Steam sales thread the whole XCOM bundle is on sale for $9.99
I downloaded the Long War mod which everyone raved about. Holy fuck, it's a tad difficult.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 09:40:02 AM

I have been waiting for this deal!  *pulls trigger*  $9.99 plus I have been itching to start a new XCOM campaign.
WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 01:43:05 PM

I have been waiting for this deal!  *pulls trigger*  $9.99 plus I have been itching to start a new XCOM campaign.

I started yesterday and am having a blast. I forgot how much fun this is. I need to grab the DLC.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 02:11:19 PM

I was not expecting such a fresh angle on X-Com. We'll see if it works out. It probably will.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 09:13:47 AM

I'm utterly unable to get Nexus to let me download Long War.

Can I get the latest version anywhere else, or do one of you fine chaps have a file I could borrow ?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 01:43:35 AM

Had no problems downloading it, but as it's a file over 2mb one needs a Nexus account and be signed in. Maybe that was the issue?

Anyway, I uploaded it for you on google drive:

Long War EW Beta 15e-88-b15e
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:45:56 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 05:41:04 AM

Many thanks, my friend, you have truly introduced me to the concept of 'Fucking Hard' and 'Absolute fucking Rookie Slaughter'.

It's rather good. 

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 06:38:27 AM

In my first playthrough of X-com I for some batshite reason researched weapon techs last. I went though a lot of rookies before I suddenly went "holy fuck" as Lazors suddenly made the Aliens start dropping rather more easily.

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 10:59:45 AM

Nope, fuck the Long War giving my troopers 33 day injuries when they WEREN'T EVEN TOUCHED.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 12:01:03 PM

They are scars on the inside man.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 01:49:21 PM

I only just realised today that all the rookie soldiers in Long War wear red shirts.

And, boy, do they need to.  They just keep on dropping like flies.

why so serious?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: XCOM 2  
Jump to: