Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:50:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suicide Squad  (Read 81529 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: August 17, 2016, 03:49:13 PM

DC needs to raise their hands, admit they screwed it all up, accept defeat, cancel everything and reboot in 2021 or later.  Meanwhile, give all TV rights to Berlanti and let them do it right on TV.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: August 17, 2016, 08:12:38 PM

Except I'm not necessarily looking for "fun" in my dark, mystical supers flicks.  Leave that to Marvel, as you say.  DCEU needs to focus on the subtler, darker, crazier, aspects.  So basically Netflix Marvel.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Fuck, DC is doomed I guess.

Why? DC is even more bright and four colored than Marvel is. Their characters are more goofy than most Marvel characters and should be done with fun in mind. Let's face it, Batman went grimdark because of the Dark Knight Returns and as a reaction to the campiness of the 60s Batman. An over-correction. The problem is, none of their other properties should have followed. Superman isn't subtle, dark or crazy. Superman is a boy scout who always tries to do the right thing. And if you say that kind of character is boring and can't work I'm going to point you towards Captain America. (Which I think has been done in another of these threads already, so I can't claim ownership of that idea!)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #352 on: August 17, 2016, 08:42:29 PM

Actually, if you look at any of the DC New 52 stuff onward, you can forget 4-color DC. That shit doesn't exist anymore. The new rage is for every character to be a gaping dickhole to each other.

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: August 17, 2016, 10:45:42 PM

I think they're dialing that back with the Rebirth stuff though. 

They even brought back the old continuity Superman.  Lois and kid in tow. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: August 19, 2016, 07:09:38 AM

DC and Marvel are both effing with our modern Legends too much in the comics. They're constantly trying to make New Cokes when Coke Classic is all people want.  Yes, characters need to evolve, but they should not be rewritten. That rarely works. And they should not be interchangeable, generally. It might work for Green Lantern, but not for Thor, Hulk or Superman.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: August 19, 2016, 07:27:34 AM

DC and Marvel are both effing with our modern Legends too much in the comics. They're constantly trying to make New Cokes when Coke Classic is all people want.  Yes, characters need to evolve, but they should not be rewritten. That rarely works. And they should not be interchangeable, generally. It might work for Green Lantern, but not for Thor, Hulk or Superman.

I've been wondering why they do this. I guess they assume comics are read more by collectors these days than kids and the collectors get tired of the same old, same old. But they keep changing stuff so much I have very little interest in even trying to keep up anymore.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #356 on: August 19, 2016, 10:41:38 AM

At least with Marvel, I see a LOT of trends in the new stuff they are doing, mostly to do with "social justice" type stuff. Not to bob anything up but the amount of forced diversity they are putting into new character concepts is... well, it feels OBVIOUS. As in they are forcing character concepts into female/minority characters. I have no problem with diversity - I love the Falcon becoming Captain America and the different sorts of stories that can generate (though I think Nick Spencer's work on the Sam Wilson, Captain America stuff is about as heavy-handed as you can get). But at some point it has become really obvious they are doing this to make a more diverse cast for movie characters whether it makes sense for the character or not.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: August 19, 2016, 10:47:39 AM

At least with Marvel, I see a LOT of trends in the new stuff they are doing, mostly to do with "social justice" type stuff. Not to bob anything up but the amount of forced diversity they are putting into new character concepts is... well, it feels OBVIOUS. As in they are forcing character concepts into female/minority characters. I have no problem with diversity - I love the Falcon becoming Captain America and the different sorts of stories that can generate (though I think Nick Spencer's work on the Sam Wilson, Captain America stuff is about as heavy-handed as you can get). But at some point it has become really obvious they are doing this to make a more diverse cast for movie characters whether it makes sense for the character or not.

Paper comics have been on life support for the last decade at least. Changing characters drastically is just the industry desperately trying something, anything to stay relevant.  Marvels diversity is just the same in that they are looking for new audiences of readers with minority kids but that isn't working well either.  It's funny that people complain about all these changes because this is it, these are the last ditch efforts to salvage this sinking ship. People shouldn't be complaining they should be mourning, this is the band playing while the titanic goes down.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: August 19, 2016, 01:43:45 PM

Don't be silly. Marvel isn't looking to the published comics to make their revenue, and they're not going to get rid of them. They're basically an ongoing attempt to create new intellectual property to draw upon some day and to experiment with revisions or reinterpretations of characters that might be useful later on in other more lucrative media adaptations. This is now the quintessential case of convergent media development and the only issue going forward with paper/digital comics will simply be if a given title is losing money at an abnormal rate or if it's serving no purpose whatsoever going forward for intellectual property development and protection.

DC is in a more complicated situation in the sense that the comics and the other properties are weirdly aligned due to higher-level mismanagement, but they'll keep publishing in some form no matter what because Batman, Superman, etc., have if anything even more long-term intellectual property value than many Marvel characters might.

The real anomaly isn't the present publishing environment but instead that weird time in the mid-1990s when comic-book sales were being driven by collector speculation. Even then they weren't making money, at least in the case of Marvel, due to really serious investor mismanagement that was consciously intended to bankrupt the company.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: August 20, 2016, 01:50:35 AM

The Marvel rights are a total mess, Fox has the X-men, Fantastic 4 and the word "mutant", Sony has Spider-man, Universal Orlando has a hulk roller-coaster and a Spider-man ride and the rights to have most of the popular characters in their parks.  Course, I guess they make money every time a shirt is sold in Universal Parks.

So it makes sense they are creating new characters no one else has the rights to. I still don't see how any of them will ever appear in a Disney Park.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #360 on: August 20, 2016, 09:23:27 AM

I don't get how you think Superman and Batman have greater long-term appeal than Marvel chars, Khaldun. That seems to be an age-bias thing. Supes and Bats are and have been popular among older folks; Older X'ers and Baby Boomers. But we're dying out and kids and 20-somethings are really into the Marvel brands. Especially with as much as the movies keep knocking things out of the park.

Not to mention Spiderman has remained one of the top-tier superheroes for name recognition as long as Batman and Superman have. Ironman has reached that status thanks to the movies, too.

As long as WB/ DC keeps fucking-up their properties, the only people who care about their characters will remain old people.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #361 on: August 20, 2016, 02:04:05 PM

I'm on the older side of X and I've always preferred Marvel.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: August 20, 2016, 02:24:40 PM

Batman is just way deeper into the DNA of American popular culture. If nothing else, the relative age of the characters matter. Kids today aren't "in" to the Lone Ranger, Tarzan or Buck Rogers (as recent films with mediocre box office demonstrated) but the character names are still recognizable. Ask a kid of 12 what Tarzan does and they can probably do the yell; ask them to draw Batman and they can do it, almost regardless of their level of pop culture exposure. That's worth something, though it can't overcome a bad film or media treatment.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #363 on: August 23, 2016, 12:48:36 PM

I think I've dated a few Harley Quinn's in my lifetime so far, fun but crazy!

I and a couple of friends went and saw it, was a fun great movie. Not some major earth changing film of all time, but still a fun movie, went great with popcorn.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: August 26, 2016, 05:52:12 AM

I saw this last night and it was meh. Not bad, just blah.

Margot Robbie does a decent job but all the other characters are completely forgettable, including Will Smith.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #365 on: August 26, 2016, 06:19:28 AM

Does Will Smith ever get to say "Welcome to Goffam"?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #366 on: August 26, 2016, 07:55:37 AM

Not even for the few minutes when he's actually IN Gotham.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: August 26, 2016, 08:16:37 AM

I'm having an interesting summer because I've decided not to give these guys money. I actually had to go see the Tarzan film in a theater out of professional interest, but the only one I've gone to otherwise that I expected to enjoy and did enjoy was Civil War. We saw Star Trek Beyond together because I thought I'd probably enjoy it and I did, even though it annoyed me in parts. We saw Warcraft because, I dunno, my daughter and I play it and we felt like it. I liked it somewhat better than I thought I would.

My daughter and wife have gone to the rest--I've turned them into comic-book fans even though they mostly don't read them and just ask me about them. They don't read message boards that discuss these films, or even movie reviews, really, so they mostly come back with unfiltered or unrehearsed reactions.

Batman v Superman: they came back and said, "OMFG the plot was ridiculously stupid and incoherent in parts." They made endless fun of the dumbness of "what did you say her name was?" But they thought it wasn't the absolute worst thing ever.

X-Men Apocalypse: they thought it was ok. Not great, not bad. Their favorite is still First Class.

Independence Day: they found it a huge waste of time.

They didn't feel like seeing Ghostbusters and neither did I.

They were up for Suicide Squad, though, and when they came back, it was exactly what Mac just said: not bad, just...nothing. A waste. They thought the plot was a mess but unusually didn't even ask me to sort out what these characters are like in the comics, they didn't care about any of them. (Whereas I got grilled about Apocalypse's history in X-Men comics, just like they wanted to know everything about Deadpool and all the Civil War characters.) They found Robbie the only memorable thing. They hadn't read anything about reshoots or tonal issues but they exactly said this: that there was a tonal incoherence. They found a lot of the movie boring.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: September 07, 2016, 07:13:11 PM

Someone asked about the Killing joke 2 pages ago. So here is the "honest trailer" review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYZekLljpg

Vertict; "... Eh?"

Hic sunt dracones.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #369 on: September 09, 2016, 09:16:11 AM

I saw this to kill time while my son was doing a 3 hour activity and we were too far from home for me to drive and come back. Like everyone else, I enjoyed some parts but thought the potential was wasted. Margo Robbie's desirability goes up after every movie of hers I see. I had to leave after the defeat of the witch woman so I did not watch all the way to "le fin".

I have never played WoW.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: February 28, 2017, 03:21:31 AM

Well, I had about 50 hours in aircraft the past few weeks, and of all the stuff I watched this piece of crap was easily the worst.

I only lasted 30-40m, and I watched nearly all of Jupiter Rising...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: March 11, 2017, 10:06:40 PM

I watched it.  My opinion of the DC properties remains the same.  The best they can do now is cancel everything, give it a few years and reboot with full control under the hands of people that like and respect these characters, not people that feel they need to change them to make them accessible.

Although, Margot Robbie was a great Harley for most of this film...

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: March 12, 2017, 01:22:09 AM

Yeah, DC just seems to be throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks at this point.

From what I understand, their next two sideshow entries are a "Bad Girls of Gotham" thing with Harley, Poison Ivy and someone else, and a Nightwing movie.  Fucking NIGHTWING gets his own movie and we haven't even had a full fucking Batman movie in their new continuity yet.......

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: March 12, 2017, 06:38:02 AM

That actually makes a bit of sense.  If they know how badly they're flailing, and all they have is the "throw stuff at the wall" plan, then burn thru your minor characters testing stuff out.  Once something works, let that creative team loose on the big guys.

Personally, I dont think it will work that well.  James Gunn did an amazing job with GotG, but I'm not sure his style would translate across to the spy-thriller vibe the Russo brothers have built with the Captain America films. 

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #374 on: March 12, 2017, 07:06:48 AM

That actually makes a bit of sense.  If they know how badly they're flailing, and all they have is the "throw stuff at the wall" plan, then burn thru your minor characters testing stuff out.  Once something works, let that creative team loose on the big guys.

Except the last few Superman movies exist.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: March 13, 2017, 02:00:39 AM

I, for one, would be happier if they didn't.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #376 on: April 10, 2017, 05:16:56 AM

worst movie na. literally couldn't finish it when watching it pirated in bed on a saturday first thing in the morning, that's prime idgaf i can watch whatever viewing. i didn't fall asleep i literally had to get out of warm bed and turn it off.

fuck this pile of garbage. if i end up skipping Wonder Woman in theaters even though it looks ok it'll be because of residual hate for this and Bat vs Supes though this was 10,000 times worse. 

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad  
Jump to: