Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suicide Squad  (Read 81537 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 03:13:19 PM

If this movie sucks it won't be because they didn't establish Captain Boomerang properly in another movie first.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 03:31:29 PM

Please tell me that's a Cobra extra that wandered over from the set of the next GI Joe movie and not Deadshot. Because fuck me... NO.
Turns out it was in fact just a guy in cosplay trying to crash the set.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 03:55:14 PM

I still don't know what would possess them to do this movie early in the release schedule.  You need to establish the majority of the villains and then do Suicide Squad... not introduce them in the squad.
I think they're hoping to skip the origin stories, or do them all in one shot, compressed, so they don't take any time in the 'hero' movies. Which is not the dumbest idea ever but....

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 04:40:00 PM

Seeing marvel's success, this is dc's current attitude towards movies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 05:30:56 PM

Too bad WB can't fail so hard they sell their rights to Marvel.   awesome, for real
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 05:37:00 PM

Actually, once upon a time, there was a discussion of Marvel buying DC...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 07:17:39 PM

If this movie sucks it won't be because they didn't establish Captain Boomerang properly in another movie first.

Marvel:  "We have a carefully orchestrated release schedule building upon our past movies and going forward successfully with our new ones."
DC:  "LET'S FLING A BUNCH OF SHIT AGAINST THE WALL AND SEE WHAT STICKS!"
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 02, 2015, 12:10:25 PM

My favorite quote about the DC vs Marvel stuff was leading into Guardians

https://twitter.com/brettwhite/status/366999192016662528

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun"

beer geek.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 03:09:18 PM

DC: "He can’t be fucking called the Martian Manhunter because that’s goofy."

Marvel: "I am Groot."

Sometimes I think GotG was just a big "Fuck You" from Marvel Studios to WB/DC.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 05:51:12 PM

If you're making movies based on the DC heroes 'goofy' should be your wheelhouse.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 02, 2015, 06:03:30 PM

DC: "He can’t be fucking called the Martian Manhunter because that’s goofy."

Marvel: "I am Groot."

Sometimes I think GotG was just a big "Fuck You" from Marvel Studios to WB/DC.

--Dave

That would imply Marvel gives any shits about what WB/DC does. Marvel's big rivalry is with Fox (and a lesser extent Sony, not so much anymore).

DC wants to be Marvel very badly, but Marvel hardly remembers DC exists these days.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 03, 2015, 05:44:21 PM

Here's the whole gang (minus Joker)

Why, out of all of them, Katana is in the most notably faithful costume I have no idea. I knew Harley wouldn't be in full motley but ecchhh, I guess the under-age scuzzy cheerleader look is 'in'.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 03, 2015, 06:26:53 PM

Looks pretty good I guess, especially Katana.  Not a DC man so I don't know who most of those are.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #48 on: May 03, 2015, 06:36:41 PM

I should know who most of those characters are.

I do not. That is a very bad sign.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 03, 2015, 06:43:06 PM

Looks pretty good I guess, especially Katana.  Not a DC man so I don't know who most of those are.

Not knowing who the characters are in the movie, just looking at that picture, I get Katana and possibly Harley Quinn. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 03, 2015, 07:13:46 PM

I knew Harley wouldn't be in full motley but ecchhh, I guess the under-age scuzzy cheerleader look is 'in'.

Pigtails = Cheerleader? Under age?

Uhhh.

This movie is going to be fucking stupid.

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 03, 2015, 07:23:32 PM

I knew Harley wouldn't be in full motley but ecchhh, I guess the under-age scuzzy cheerleader look is 'in'.

Uhhh.

She does look more like the Chainsaw Lollipop character more than Harley Quinn.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 03, 2015, 07:27:04 PM

Uhhh.

Give her a pair of pom-poms and she's about ready to display for team Hot Topic High.

Oh, and Sadako there (also hanging off Rick Flag) is apparently Enchantress  ACK!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:29:01 PM by Mattemeo »

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 03, 2015, 07:31:35 PM

Aside from the fact that she has nothing else resembling a cheerleaders outfit, of course.

beer geek.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 03, 2015, 08:26:49 PM

Seeing the Superman/Batman Trailer before A2 got me thinking that DC really hasn't done enough world building to start pulling some of the moves that they are. It feels a lot like they've looked at Marvel's original release schedule and then compared it their own franchises and just thought 'Damn, we've had 3 Bat films and 2 Superman films. We need to put those two together and start world making at this point.' Which is based off 2 franchises that really haven't been built with that in mind before.

Katana looks good and recognisable but yeah, I'm not a huge DC fan but apart from her and Harley (just cause blonde pigtails in a DC movie isn't going to be anyone else) I couldn't name anyone based off that picture. Hell aside from Katana and Kroc I don't think I'd even place them as being in a superhero movie from that picture. Hell apart from a few drably colourful elements I'd think the picture was in grey-scale. Why the fuck does DC think the colour palette for superhero movies has to have brightness and contrast down at the lowest end of the scale? It's going to making telling who's who in chaotic action scenes actually impossible.

Of course it'll probably include shakey cam as well since whoever is in charge of the creative direction seems to be looking more to Bourne and nu-Bond for artistic inspiration than DC comics.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 03, 2015, 08:47:44 PM

This looks more like the sequel to Zack Snyder's wankfest movie about ladies with guns, really. Just not feeling it.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 03, 2015, 08:50:54 PM

It's hard to make me not interested in Harley.  They managed it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 03, 2015, 09:02:20 PM

Uhhh.

She does look more like the Chainsaw Lollipop character more than Harley Quinn.
Um, what? Aside from the blonde pigtails, that character looks nothing like Juliet.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 04, 2015, 02:08:00 AM

The only thing this picture makes me feel is regret that Katana can't likely be used again in Arrow after the episodes they already shot. And that makes me remember Deadshot and how they made him stupid to remove him from the show to have him for this likely crappy movie.

So fuck DC movies, they are crappy and their existence hurts the actually good DC shows.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 04, 2015, 04:16:07 AM

It was bothering me so here's the line up:

From left to right: Slipknot, Captain Boomerang, Enchantress, Katana, Rick Flagg, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Killer Croc, El Diablo
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 04, 2015, 06:44:30 AM

The only thing this picture makes me feel is regret that Katana can't likely be used again in Arrow after the episodes they already shot. And that makes me remember Deadshot and how they made him stupid to remove him from the show to have him for this likely crappy movie.

So fuck DC movies, they are crappy and their existence hurts the actually good DC shows.

The amount of nerd rage when the movies start fucking with the flash tv show....

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 04, 2015, 06:55:54 AM

DC/WB are in a remarkably shabby place right now. All their TV output is cheap teenage melodrama or cringingly bad 'reimaginings' propped up by a single actor (Robin Lord Taylor you are being wasted) and their film lineup to date is under such a monumental identity crisis that no one, including those in charge, has any idea how to appeal to fans or market to the newcomers. It's embarassing. I'm not even a DC-hater, I just want them to find their fucking legs again.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 04, 2015, 07:11:00 AM

Their TV shows are definitely soap operas but, really, comics are fucking soap operas and I'd say their TV offerings are actually entertaining on the whole and fairly solid. Their movie line ups though... Ugh. They are actually more willing to be true to the spirit of the comics and let their heroes be actual heroes in the TV shows. The movies are obviously a little embarassed to be based on comic properties and are trying desperately to shake up the character tropes in the same kind of way comics themselves were doing in the mid 90's. Which is what's especially painful about them for comic fans, we've seen this exact same thing before and it doesn't come off as edgy, it's just someone who's either hugely out of touch with the material (to the point of not being aware this exact approach was being done about 20 years ago and we've moved on) or someone who doesn't give a shit aout the material and just wants to make a movie they think will sell. In this case I kind of think it's both from the comments that make it to the internet.

Suicide Squad really is a movie that you need at least one already existing villain to pull you along with, it isn't somewhere you can happily introduce 9 new characters and expect any of them to get kind of audience connection. Clearly we're going to see at least one go down 15 minutes in, one of them betray the team for personal gain/revenge and a climactic final battle that will leave 2-4 still alive. Also a love story, probably between Flagg and Katana that will involve a tender mask removal scene. The climactic battle won't really matter because we really won't give much of a shit about any of them barring the main character (and possibly love interest)

That is my guess for a plot outline, they'll make some vague reference to dangerous heroes (SUPERMAN!!!11) and needing to even the playing field for the US government. This will probably count as world building in the DC movie franchise check box, which I'm kind of convinced is how they're actually planning these releases 'Well Marvel had trilogies planned for their main heroes and had a team tie-in before getting very far. Superman's on 2 movies already so we're behind guys! JL Movie is actually overdue, I'm worried we might have spent too much time world building already by making all these movies!'

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 04, 2015, 08:16:11 AM

That is my guess for a plot outline, they'll make some vague reference to dangerous heroes (SUPERMAN!!!11) and needing to even the playing field for the US government.
Which is silly since a team of gun wielding psychos facing off against Superman might as well be armed with limp pasta.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #64 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:37 AM

The amount of nerd rage when the movies start fucking with the flash tv show....

That's because the Flash TV show is actually really damn good. And this looks... not.

So the wannabe urban white man in the blue athletic shirt with the gold chain is Captain Boomerang? Fuck me. I mean, yes, the Capt. Boomerang outfit in the comics is fuckstupid, no one will disagree with that. This however, manages to be infinitely worse. And again, that muted color palette that they are going with for everything is just so goddamn tone-deaf.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 04, 2015, 09:42:03 AM

Ah but they won't reference him and will probably be planning to use the SS (lords that is a not a good acronym) for shady dealings in an extremely callous manner that will make the villain characters somewhat sympathetic (some of them, obviously others will be totally callous about killing apparent innocents and we won't be upset when they're killed/will be emotionally jarred when they selflessly sacrifice themselves to save team-mates). We'll have tension within the team and ultimately Flagg will make the tough call to do something morally horrible that will be for the greater good.

The only question I'm asking myself really is what they'll do to top Man of Steel in the hard choices, tough world stakes. I'm betting it's killing innocents in order to save more innocents. That's what I'm going to go with as a guess for the Suicide Squad rough plot outline.

Of course it's possible Snyder blindsides us all and tells a tale of non-powered/pretty poorly powered humans making the kind of moral choices we'd expect from Superman and set up a universe tale that moves Superman from the pragmatic 'it was him or countless millions, so I killed him' ubermensch of Man of Steel to the paragon of virtue that we know and love. I think it's highly unlikely and even if he was planning it I doubt this is the vehicle to set that up nor are Flagg or others in this movie the ones to trigger that transformation. But it's possible and would at least be a more surprising and (I think) more satisfying tale.

I'll put money on the 'gritty team of mostly unsympathetic types, betrayal, glorious and redemptive last stand' plot outline though.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #66 on: May 04, 2015, 09:49:25 AM

I still can't figure out for the life of me why DC chose to go with this property this quickly. Suicide Squad is something you really need as part of an already heavily established universe. We need to have seen at least 2 or 3 of these characters fighting heroes for it to not be jarring, especially as these villains aren't really big-time nemesis villains (other than Joker).

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #67 on: May 04, 2015, 11:51:59 AM

There's also way too many characters in this. Even if you skip the fighting heroes part it should've been a much smaller group.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 04, 2015, 12:09:04 PM

To be fair, we don't know what percentage of screen time these people will get.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: May 04, 2015, 12:30:29 PM

My name is Slipkn.... BLEARG!!!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad  
Jump to: