Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 04:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  (Read 549937 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #945 on: March 20, 2015, 01:20:15 PM

Eh, would you rather be king of your own realm or somebodies bitch?

It's a PVP game. You WILL be somebody's bitch at some point.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: March 20, 2015, 02:06:23 PM

I still don't understand why everyone is not going to stick to their own kingdom rather than go be someone's tenant or vassal.

I would imagine it has something to do with marketplaces. There isn't a global marketplace so setting up shop in someone's kingdom so you can buy and sell stuff iis what you'll want to do. I imagine that there will be some popular guild's or person's EK that has more player shops than others and that just snowballs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:14:21 PM by Draegan »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #947 on: March 20, 2015, 02:13:55 PM

I expect EK to be nothing more than trophy room.

"Me am play gods"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: March 20, 2015, 02:15:00 PM

I expect EK to be nothing more than trophy room.

They are going to be small economic hubs. The one thing that ACE doesn't have down is how the import/export rules will work. That's really the key to everything.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: March 20, 2015, 02:16:04 PM

I still don't understand why everyone is not going to stick to their own kingdom rather than go be someone's tenant or vassal.

I would imagine it has something to do with marketplaces. There isn't a global marketplace so setting up shop in someone's kingdom so you can buy and sell stuff iis what you'll want to do. I imagine that there will be some popular guild's or person's EK that has more player shops than others and that just snowballs.

This is my take on it too.  It's like UO where you knew what houses kept the good stuff supplied at reasonable rates so you kept coming back.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: March 20, 2015, 02:39:15 PM

I did that for three months in UO.  Mined ore, turned out quality weapons and suits of armor, put on vendor for monies.  I finally gave up because I couldn't sustain the level of effort needed to keep it going.  Sold quite a bit too.

I did keep crafting gear for myself.

And I started initially because the first X vendors I found stopped selling, in succession.  Usually three to six months after I found them.  And the search wasn't easy, either.  It took hours, over a few days, of wandering from house to house, checking each vendor.  I finally got mad enough to level up a craftsman, because the sheer inconvenience of looking was too much.

Not that the UO marketplace search was that good, when they implemented it.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: March 21, 2015, 07:02:10 AM

It would make sense for EK to host some Farmville stuff, to give players a bit of persistent personal progression and help retain "casuals". Give players a gold star for watering their rhododendrons every day and have campaign areas drop +2 fertilizer even when you lose, to entice the sheep to play with the wolves.

It doesn't sound like there will be any real benefit for most players to be "king of their own realm" rather than a vassal. If you've got n tiles of land you've got n tiles of land, and unless you're part of the 0.1% of players whose plots are exciting enough for other players to hang out or PvP in, being able to make the rules doesn't really matter. All being a vassal does is make it easier to show off your stuff to your guildies.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: March 21, 2015, 07:09:43 AM

It might be in the notes, but maybe being a vassal gets you farming bonuses or other benefits from your lord.  I would like it if:
1.  I have a little nice castle and fields that I can do piddly daily quests in.  NO invasions unless I 'unlock' the fief for some benefit.
2.  Then I can sneak onto the battlefield and harvest a quick node or two (the watering hole scenario) and get back without being ganked.
3.  Then my liege posts quests that offer serious risk/reward quests.

You get the idea.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: March 21, 2015, 02:20:01 PM

The EKs will matter if the campaigns that let you bring in pre-made gear are popular. If everyone only plays in the FFA, full loot, no bringing gear in worlds then there's no point in having a fancy crafting paradise EK because the shit you make there means fuckall.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: March 21, 2015, 03:55:33 PM

I basically look at EKs as wow garrisons you can build.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #955 on: March 24, 2015, 08:00:52 AM

1.4 Million made. 48 hours to go and Minotaurs announced as the next goal, together with some Religious war mode that has 12 factions representing 12 gods and goddesses battling each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9YFn1bkHik

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #956 on: March 24, 2015, 08:22:01 AM

Same reason lots of corps in eve join a big alliance as a tenant rather not than try to hold their own space.  It's just way less hassle, and your get to be part of a bigger organization that gives you a lot more options. Even if you have to pay rent.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #957 on: March 24, 2015, 08:56:21 AM

I get you're drooling over this but that was weak defense. 

In Eve the reality is you join or be crushed, not that it's "way less hassle."  Not so here in the EK.  There has to be more bonus to joining another kingdom - particularly when you have your own.

Perhaps they have some systems of bonuses/ rewards for joining other kingdoms that isn't fleshed-out or detailed. Maybe you can only access certain Eternal Kingdoms from the other 'rings' so the limitation is geographic/ logistics based.  That might work.

Telling me "go here and pay rent because *access*" is weaksauce in a virtual environment where realm-hopping outside of any designed limitations is trivial. 

You've got to enforce limitations at the design level so it's not: Right now I'm in Teleku's EK.. *click/ load* now I'm in Falconeer's where I can hunt down more deals.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #958 on: March 24, 2015, 09:05:35 AM

You are right, we don't know how it's all going to play out.  I'm assuming the same PvP motivations that drive people in eve and every other PvP game to join larger organizations will still be in play.  Trying not to be 'crushed' using your own limited resources counts as more hassle.  :p

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: March 24, 2015, 09:40:32 AM

I get you're drooling over this but that was weak defense.  

In Eve the reality is you join or be crushed, not that it's "way less hassle."  Not so here in the EK.  There has to be more bonus to joining another kingdom - particularly when you have your own.

Perhaps they have some systems of bonuses/ rewards for joining other kingdoms that isn't fleshed-out or detailed. Maybe you can only access certain Eternal Kingdoms from the other 'rings' so the limitation is geographic/ logistics based.  That might work.

Telling me "go here and pay rent because *access*" is weaksauce in a virtual environment where realm-hopping outside of any designed limitations is trivial.  

You've got to enforce limitations at the design level so it's not: Right now I'm in Teleku's EK.. *click/ load* now I'm in Falconeer's where I can hunt down more deals.

Joining EK reasons:
1) More popular, higher population, better chance to find good materials and sell your own. Or in other words: Location Location Location.
2) Guilds and players can earn artifacts and relics. You can only equip 3 of them (combination of both, not 3 of each), and they give bonuses to crafting and stuff. You can join an EK with access to awesome crafting bonuses.

Just to elaborate on location. You can hop to whomever's EK you want supposedly (they haven't mentioned any limitations so I'm assuming that). There are no global auction houses so you have to go where the people are hanging out. There are going to be places that just pop up that have higher concentrations of people. It'll snowball and create it's own community that way. Should be interesting to watch. I believe they mentioned that you can set up a player shop to sell stuff. Do you want to set it up in your own lonely world or pay rent in someone's really popular EK where you might make a sale?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #960 on: March 25, 2015, 12:18:00 AM

Considering there's a lot we don't know, everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but there is usually incentive to be "someone's bitch".  Access is nothing to be sneezed at.  If there is no Auction House it's not just a *click/load* process.  Do you want to spend the afternoon *click/load* a thousand times to get that great deal, or are you going to Duke Pyreton's EK?  Lord Pyreton plays a LOT, and he's talked all kinds of crafters into his emporium.  If you need it there's probably a crafter there selling it. 

Or if you're trying to sell your shit, you can lone wolf it, sure.  You have your own little fiefdome set up that nobody knows about and nobody is willing to go there except those guys who get off on finding great deals.  You are essentially the out of the way merchants in EQ people scoured looking for crap in their sell inventories which people sold off not wanting to price check and sell in EC tunnel  (That tunnel being an argument unto itself).  Lord Pyreton, however, has the lowest taxes and a bustling player visitation rate.  You are sure to sell your shit in his EK.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #961 on: March 25, 2015, 06:03:34 AM

The endless spamming to visit EK's is going to be annoying.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: March 25, 2015, 06:19:05 AM

The kickstarter ends tomorrow. They funded, obviously, and are trending towards $1.5 million.

Which is probably closer to what they were hoping for  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: March 25, 2015, 06:43:59 AM

I was hoping they made it to the combat pet goal, but it seems unlikely.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: March 25, 2015, 06:48:29 AM

I'm sure every single goal is going to be made, just not at release. Were they really not going to have mounts ever?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:04 AM

I'm sure every single goal is going to be made, just not at release. Were they really not going to have mounts ever?

Well they said the maps had to be designed from the ground up with mounts/caravans in mind or not at all, so yeah that was basically a now or never thing.  Everything else was probably going to show up eventually, depending on how the game does.

I am the .00000001428%
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: March 25, 2015, 09:08:53 AM

Well they said the maps had to be designed from the ground up with mounts/caravans in mind or not at all, so yeah that was basically a now or never thing.  Everything else was probably going to show up eventually, depending on how the game does.

I suspect they'll eventually find a way to include them if there is money in it.  They'll probably release an expansion with new worlds to conquer and use the old maps in No Horse, No Caravan restricted campaigns.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #967 on: March 25, 2015, 11:59:15 AM

My only question is when they plan to have a beta goal. Other than that, I am not concerned with the design decision process.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #968 on: March 25, 2015, 12:31:26 PM

Doesn't seem like an amount that's going to turn any VC heads.

"Me am play gods"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: March 25, 2015, 01:13:24 PM

That is just some PR speak right there. Don't buy into that.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #970 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:16 PM

The procedurally generated maps have designed? Sounds like nonsense.

"Me am play gods"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: March 25, 2015, 01:49:38 PM

It was more like the algorithm to design them had to take into account whether mounts were a thing or not, i guess.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #972 on: March 26, 2015, 01:45:09 AM

1.725.000 with four hours to go (zero, when y'all will wake up).

Not bad. Especially the last few days. Yesterday, with 172k raised, has been their second highest day of the whole campaign. Everything that could be unlocked has been unlocked. Including the ridiculous VR stuff which was a very stupid thing to promise to begin with.

Campaign over. Funded at 1.766.000
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:47:11 AM by Falconeer »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #973 on: March 26, 2015, 09:20:29 AM

Now we get to see if they can pull anything together before we all stop caring.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: March 26, 2015, 09:40:32 AM

On the other hand, the good thing about not caring is that if it does turn out to be good then you can just buy it. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #975 on: March 26, 2015, 11:08:44 AM

I think the main purpose of contributing early in this thing would be the discounting VIP access, lower price, and VIP access for the gamble.

Which I can understand if you've got an idea on a product. This seems more fleshed out than most with a deliverable idea. Not all their ideas are deliverable and I still think they need more money.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: March 26, 2015, 12:48:19 PM

They could start selling mounts, or furniture for your digital house, at $1000 a pop to cover costs…

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #977 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:40 PM

They could start selling mounts, or furniture for your digital house, at $1000 a pop to cover costs…

Digital castles. This one has built in wenches.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: March 26, 2015, 05:20:14 PM

I never matched up names, but the guy who help design the combat system IN DCUO is on this project. That bodes well imo. DCUO had really great combat.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #979 on: March 27, 2015, 05:47:59 AM

One of the reasons I'm interested in this is the crafting and the idea of voxel environments. If they have non-Wow combat that functions well for peeveepee I'll probably play it for several years.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  
Jump to: