Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Eve becoming cool again 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eve becoming cool again  (Read 150622 times)
Meester
Terracotta Army

on: November 14, 2014, 01:59:48 PM

So a huge [3 hundred an something au across] wormhole system called Thera with stations and special rules,alongside another hundred or so of new special wormholes, removal of clone costs and skill loss on clone destruction [implants still die], a beta phase of using the wsad keys for manual control, a new ship designed for carrying fitted ships, T3 destroyers , new blackbird model along with the past recent changes including new industrial content, all t1 & t2 combat drones being useful now [not just hobs and warriros anymore etc], overview sharing, new notification system and the all important unlimited skill queue.

Maybe CCP are edging towards redeeming themselves after the Incarna debacle. Looking forward to the sov changes which hopefully will be some time next year.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:19:12 AM by Meester »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:03:46 PM

I heard that they majorly reduced the distance that capital ships can jump, too, in an attempt to reduce certain alliances' ability to control exorbitant amounts of space.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:37:51 AM

They are making a lot of changes, and pushing them out monthly, that's for sure.

I don't think they care about redeeming themselves.   That's a player point of view that they've done something wrong and have to redeem for it; I imagine that they view themselves as the best dev team in the world, and any changes they make are just more awesomeness, on top of the complete awesomeness of the game thus far.

They're changing the game because it's dated and they need something new, to keep player interest.   They've decided not to do EVE 2.0 as a separate game; they're taking the current game and changing it into its sequel.   I'm guessing that they want the current player base transitioned to EVE 2.0 as is, without the major land grab and rush that opening a new server would cause.  Though, I wouldn't make the assumption that players will get to keep everything they have; if this is a beta period and a transition to a new EVE, then release day may have a surprise wallet/assets reduction across the board, to curb inflation or "reset the economy" or whatever.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:46:01 AM

No, the problem is that if they actually made an Eve 2.0 their older players would lose all their skills and have to start from scratch again. That would create the kind of nerd screaming that has not been witnessed since NGE. I mean you have a game where you can splat the majority of players on e on one and is a griefing dream. And you want to suddenly have people on a level playing field again? PEOPLE ARE PAYING YOU GOOD MONEY FOR THE ABILITY TO GRIEF DAMMIT!!

That's one of the big things for people like me who have given away their old account. I can count out in my head the months of shit ("Ooh capacitor capacity! Yum!") skills I would have to do and frankly its not worth it. And its also what keeps long time players playing. I'll be honest its why I kept playing for a long while.

Hic sunt dracones.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 11:52:20 AM

I heard that they majorly reduced the distance that capital ships can jump, too, in an attempt to reduce certain alliances' ability to control exorbitant amounts of space.

Yes and they added jump fatigue too, jump freighters are not as affected by the jump distance changes, jump fatigue accumulates which means no instant galaxy jump, jump bridges also create jump fatigue. All capitals can use stargates now too.

I also forgot to mention he warp speed changes which happened recently [in Kronos?], which means that warp speed actually matters, so interceptors can outrun a cruiser to catch it for example.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:56:00 AM by Meester »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:15:02 PM

I started back playing recently, a lot of my contentions have been fixed. I really like where they've taken the game, they're in the midst of a GUI overhaul too. I'm somewhat enjoying the experience again.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 07:45:44 PM

I peeked at the UI changes post, looked at the screenshot shown and said 'thats it? new icons and translucent windows?'. Am I missing something?

(Post here)

- Viin
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

What was the drone changes?

It looks like the big 2-3 have contracted a bit, and left some room open in between them for some smaller groups, but the state of the galaxy isn't changing, and there isn't any big wars that are actually going to happen.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 05:01:54 AM

I peeked at the UI changes post, looked at the screenshot shown and said 'thats it? new icons and translucent windows?'. Am I missing something?

(Post here)

Actually thats only the visual overhaul which will be the icing, they've gradually been making other changes. Things like being able to import/export fits to EFT, the import ability is fairly recent. The moon, directional and system scanner can now be seperated. You can now select jump to gate which means you automatically jump through when you land. Loads of small tweaks which on their own don't sound much I admit but there's a quite a lot of little things you'll notice, if you haven't played in a while.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:09:42 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 05:08:09 AM

What was the drone changes?  

They rebalanced tracking, speed and damage mod so the Amarr and Caldari drones might see more light of day. Sentries got a tracking nerf. If you haven't played in a while, there's now faction drones and Geckos - 50m3 Heavy drones that cost about 30m each.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:53:31 AM

I got back in on the last 10-day reactivation, and enjoyed it enough to blow some ISK on plex for my two-character corp. I don't know that I can keep from getting bored again before the December release, but it's possible.

A lot of little quality-of-life changes, and some more coming.  I did have to look at and change loadouts on most of my ships; a lot of them have been tweaked since I last played (several years at this point).  I especially like that my golem kills and loots shit like a champ without having to come back with a second ship for cleanup, and my blockade runner can now make the 10-jump run to Jita and back in just a few minutes and sell all that shit without clicking on every goddamn item individually.

I hope they do give in to their stated desire to eventually allow capitals into hi-sec--my hangar-queen chimera in Hysera might actually see some more use.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 10:16:17 AM

Geckos - 50m3 Heavy drones that cost about 30m each.

To reiterate on the geckos, they were a redeemable item for the 11 years that eve has been around.

At the moment ishtars are still a staple, not sure how much of a staple they are however. I still hope that CCP will improve exploration as I used to rake in isk but now I am space poor :(
Maybe the sleeper data sites in k-space will see me become rich.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:22:39 AM by Meester »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 12:53:12 PM

Edit: sorry misunderstood previous post.

Carry on  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:07:29 AM by Amarr HM »

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 09:08:15 PM

Them killing jump travel guaranteed that my character's not logging back in again.  My carrier's in the ass end of fuck all nowhereville, and their master plan is to make it impossible for me to get it out of nullsec without a ton of obnoxious delayed jumps?  No thanks.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 10:58:53 PM

What's the state of Goonswarm Federation and Bat Country? I see vague mentions of a newbee drive on SA, but nothing concrete.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 11:13:52 PM

Them killing jump travel guaranteed that my character's not logging back in again.  My carrier's in the ass end of fuck all nowhereville, and their master plan is to make it impossible for me to get it out of nullsec without a ton of obnoxious delayed jumps?  No thanks.

Jump it through the gates ^-^ If you can afford a cyno alt, you can afford a scout

What's the state of Goonswarm Federation and Bat Country? I see vague mentions of a newbee drive on SA, but nothing concrete.

Well Goonswarm Federation have voluntarily shrunk their territory to accomodate the jump changes, and have filled it with various allies to act as a shield not sure about Bat County.

Onyx warp aniamtion btw coming along nicely

Astarte with image based rendering followed by comparison

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:53:23 PM by Meester »
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 02:17:14 PM

Well Goonswarm Federation have voluntarily shrunk their territory to accomodate the jump changes, and have filled it with various allies to act as a shield not sure about Bat County.

Talk about timing, N3 have just invaded Fountain where Fatal Ascension were holding up ^-^
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 07:54:05 PM

Talk about timing, N3 have just invaded Fountain where Fatal Ascension were holding up ^-^

The Mittani Reacts to news NCdot & company are invading Fountain with special guest Endie! Though I don't know which officer is playing his part in this "Hitler reacts" video.  I think he's the one with the moustache.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 06:41:57 AM

People are still doing that Hitler thing? Is that considered funny still?
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 07:26:03 PM

It might be more funny in a month or so - The Mittani declares WAR on Venal and declares that Fountain will be held.  Though I think everyone on all sides would prefer to see VFK by May than shooting towers in Venal (Which probably won't be defended) and then jump cloaning down to Y-2An0 the next night. I wouldn't think both could be done at the same time.

Also, corps are being marked with the red pen - I hope Bat Country has enough people not off in Empire space to be counted.

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:40 PM

The Bowhead ship [fitted?] transporter

The Confessor, T3 destroyer

Blackbird & variants redesign

Dreadnought skins

Roid belt visual updates

Other stuff like sleeper scouts in k-space, trial account names being freed up, a new opt-in star map that no-one has seen yet, polarized weapons and the incursus and its variants redesign [which is something I DON'T like the look of atm], improvements to multisell among a few other things that will come to rhea. Also in the near future we will be able to see the health of our drones IN THE DRONEBAY!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:41:18 PM by Meester »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 02:17:21 PM

Is the UI still a spreadsheet?
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 04:53:47 PM

Is the UI still a spreadsheet?

We got tactical smart spreadsheets, phase-plasma spreadsheets, we got sonic spreadsheets, electronic ball-breaking spreadsheets!

Unless you mean spread sheeeeeet as you dampen a load of pirate onerios  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 06:34:34 PM

They're going for a retro look, like old fighter jet radar screens, for the UI.  It's still spreadsheets, as they haven't said anything about making the client not-thin.  It's just a UI reskin + some convenience improvements.

In their blog they talk about making the UI be less like an operating system, but to me it looks like they're just abandoning the Windows XP taskbar style in favor of the Windows 8 tile world, except monochrome CRT tile world.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:51:00 PM by ajax34i »
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 04:55:40 PM

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 07:11:49 PM

That was a pretty epic trailer
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 03:32:43 AM

No Boat or barking dog giving orders. 1/10.

Seems to be reaching out to old players, not new ones.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 07:48:36 AM

I haven't tried eve since I met my wife 5?years ago. I want to play that game in the trailer but I could never seen before m to find the download link to that version of eve.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 10:03:57 AM

No Boat or barking dog giving orders. 1/10.

Seems to be reaching out to old players, not new ones.
Smart move. Much lower hanging fruit, and quite a large number of potential resubs.

trying to get new players into an older game isn't that cost effective compared to trying to get previous players to rejoin.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 06:42:31 PM

I want to play that game in the trailer but I could never seem before to find the download link to that version of eve.

Yeah, you can find that game if you're in a good corp that's part of a good alliance, and even then it's usually a few hours of waiting / prepping, followed by a few minutes of fun, followed by several days of drudgery and work before you can repeat.  Credit to the F13 group, though, they've made available the "good corp and good alliance" part for years, and that's the hardest bit.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 06:53:37 PM

Yeah, problem is that if I wanted to join Eve now without my old character its not epicness. Its "ok sit around for months to a year before you can fly anything on that video to 'acceptable' standard". AND IF I could get into a decent corp/alliance. Otherwise I know I could get the ACTUAL eve experience would be taking a semi automatic to my nuts.

Not gonna lie though that trailer is fucking epic and it really makes me want to tell my brain to go to hell just on the off chance I'm wrong. Which I'm not. *sob*

And sadly the F13 corp is not an option for me. The second some goon recognized my voice they would be 6 feet up my ass for fun. Pass.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:45:56 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 07:09:48 PM

That's the kind of thing that makes it great.  Lovely video.

Unfortunately don't have the time to play and have it actually be like that anymore.  It's one of those games where you sort of wish you could just live in that world.  But living in another world has um, bad consequences in this one.
Abalieno
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 09:59:33 AM

Any of you know how/when a noob can join the Faction Warfare thing and how it works?

I read a bit but nothing that gives a clear direction. I know you can join at any time, but does it need something to prepare for it? Equipment? Where do I go? What should I do?

Who buys me new ships when mine blow up?

Otherwise, what are the noob alternative paths? I basically only know mining and running very boring agent missions. When does other stuff happen like science, research probes, complexes and so on?

- HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 04:34:17 AM

Um, my info is old, but, you have two ways of joining:  join a player corporation that is itself registered for faction warfare (this will put you in the warfare immediately), or do some missions to get a little bit of standing (0.6?) and join solo, which will put you in the militia NPC corp. associated with whichever empire, and open up the faction warfare missions.

As far as preparing for it, it's full on PVP, you will have red targets on your overview and can shoot each other at any time.  YOU are the one who buys you ships when you get destroyed.  The game is not really for solo play, so as a completely poor newbie you may be better off joining a player corporation that does FW, because it will give you teammates to back you up during the fights, as well as perhaps a ship replacement program.

The hardest part in this game is finding a good corp.

In any case, the other stuff happens when you've trained the skills for it and go do it.  The grind for ISK is what sucks about the game, and my recommendation is to delay it a little bit by buying a PLEX with real cash and converting it into ISK (you claim the plex at Jita and sell it on the market).  Should set you up with plenty of ships for FW for quite some time (you use frigates to start with, and they are cheap).
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 02:55:02 AM

And sadly the F13 corp is not an option for me. The second some goon recognized my voice they would be 6 feet up my ass for fun. Pass.

Goonswarm has changed.  You'd be fine, today.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Eve becoming cool again  
Jump to: