Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Eve becoming cool again 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eve becoming cool again  (Read 151247 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 07, 2014, 07:19:37 AM

I'm thinking about trying to play this game again. Should I jump in now or wait for whatever update is coming?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 07, 2014, 08:34:31 AM

I'm thinking about trying to play this game again. Should I jump in now or wait for whatever update is coming?

The next update is, I believe, due out on Tuesday so the difference is minor.  At the moment you have riching pickings in terms of what to do (assuming you join Bat COuntry): southern front; Reavers; Marine's corp ops; Venal front; EG if you are 3lit3 enough for Mister Vee; bomberwaffe if you are Boat-positive and so on.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: December 07, 2014, 08:38:28 AM

The next update is, I believe, due out on Tuesday so the difference is minor.  At the moment you have riching pickings in terms of what to do (assuming you join Bat COuntry): southern front; Reavers; Marine's corp ops; Venal front; EG if you are 3lit3 enough for Mister Vee; bomberwaffe if you are Boat-positive and so on.

It'll be a brand new account if that makes a difference.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 08, 2014, 01:06:28 PM

It'll be a brand new account if that makes a difference.

If you didn't sell your old one, then Id keep your old one because skillpoints make all the difference.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 08, 2014, 01:42:20 PM

Yeah but my old one was from 2006? 7? And I had only played it for a week or two.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 08, 2014, 06:45:57 PM

Yeah but my old one was from 2006? 7? And I had only played it for a week or two.
Still worth using the original account.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 09, 2014, 01:43:09 AM

It probably has about 800k skillpoints.  New characters start with a quarter of that.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 09, 2014, 02:33:42 AM

I'd go with the original account dude. My character has been playing for nearly 2 weeks and only has something under 600K

Adventures in noob. Well I took a Mandate frig into a wormhole and poked around a bit. Found a data site and found it was guarded by sleepers. Tried to sneak up to a faraway can under cloak and try to hack it before the sleepers got me. No dice, fuckers have decent range on their guns dammit!

So been hitting the courier missions like mad while I decide what to do long term. Actually have enough LP for an Astero BPC, and my standings with the Sisters of eve are at 7.1. I think I'll get it to 8 so I can install a jump clone then use the Astero to sneak into hostile space for some exploration funz. Yes I'm nearly at cloak 4  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 09, 2014, 06:03:12 AM

I'd go with the original account dude. My character has been playing for nearly 2 weeks and only has something under 600K

Adventures in noob. Well I took a Mandate frig into a wormhole and poked around a bit. Found a data site and found it was guarded by sleepers. Tried to sneak up to a faraway can under cloak and try to hack it before the sleepers got me. No dice, fuckers have decent range on their guns dammit!

So been hitting the courier missions like mad while I decide what to do long term. Actually have enough LP for an Astero BPC, and my standings with the Sisters of eve are at 7.1. I think I'll get it to 8 so I can install a jump clone then use the Astero to sneak into hostile space for some exploration funz. Yes I'm nearly at cloak 4  awesome, for real

Courier missions are notoriously underpaid.  I assume you do them just so it can be done afk?

Twitter - Endieposts

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 09, 2014, 06:08:52 AM

And it rockets up my standings, yeah, as I can get 5 of them done in an hour no problem at all. I'm thinking of doing them for all of the 4 corps you can start the epics arcs with so I can start doing them all when I am comfy in a Battleship and can actually do a level 4 combat missions

Besides I bought the Eve Premium ed which comes with a Plex which I sold, so I am not hurting for cash for the moment.

Hic sunt dracones.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 09, 2014, 01:13:17 PM

Found a data site and found it was guarded by sleepers. Tried to sneak up to a faraway can under cloak and try to hack it before the sleepers got me. No dice, fuckers have decent range on their guns dammit!

Some sleeper data and relic sites have no guards, they are probably less lucrative. I just go into wormhole for some pirate relic sites [sansha etc]. Sansha trolled me yesterday after I found one their sites with NO tech 2 salvage.
I'll probably go see if that Thera wormhole is still around close to where I am.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 10, 2014, 05:43:32 AM

So, Thera, the new wormhole system with NPC stations, has managed to break 42 billion in losses after it was discovered with 1086 reported losses. Not bad. people have been bubbling the stations with dictor bubbles all morning (anchored ones don't work). Fun fast paced PVP!!

Fun times. Once again people will find that staying in the place will be more trouble than the "fun" it causes, and the place will be probably as empty as low sec in a few weeks.

Hic sunt dracones.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 10, 2014, 06:20:29 AM

I don't know why you think low sec is empty. Not often would you go 2-3 systems without seeing someone in low sec. You could easily jump 10+ null sec systems without seeing a single soul. On your Thera point, once the shiny wears off, the numbers will dwindle. But a wormhole system with a dockable station will always offer some attraction and I imagine there'll be a swathe of interested parties trying to control it for their own benefit.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 10, 2014, 08:01:06 AM

Yeah lowsec has people in virtually every other system except in a few backwaters.  I don't get this version of things either.

Twitter - Endieposts

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #84 on: December 10, 2014, 09:00:31 AM

Well, calling them "people" is a bit generous, don't you think?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 10, 2014, 09:05:03 AM

Ok, ok. Yes, deep space is not truly empty, it has a few gas molecules per inch.  swamp poop

Anyway, my opinion on the new Graphics. Amarr Looks fantastic. Gallante loks great. Haven't seen much Caldari so dunno. Minmatar look worse in my opinion. They seem to have lost that pleasing rust look for a brown plastic sheen which to me is just not that attractive.

I haven't heard one person say they like the new set of icons.

Someone said he liked the new map but later said it made his eyes hurt.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:09:20 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 10, 2014, 09:24:41 AM

Their new "physically based lighting" formula makes their current textures look like grey plastic.  And, I'm laughing at the fact that they have to increase the brightness of the background nebulas because their "energy conservation" formula makes things too dark with just the light available from the local suns.  Combined with the monochromatic dark UI elements, bright nebulas are already causing complaints of not being able to see.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 10, 2014, 11:38:28 AM

There's not that much of a difference on the Caldari ships.  I have trouble seeing it at all on some.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 10, 2014, 01:47:25 PM

Actually the BB/Falcon/Rook have been totally revamped, the Gila/Eagle/Moa has had some slight changes.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 10, 2014, 03:13:36 PM

Yeah only a couple of the ships got a redesign. The Amarr Cruicifier got a redesign as well I think.

And yeah had a look at a few Caldari ships. Ajax is right, the material texture on them sucks ass. Totally dull and plastic.

Hic sunt dracones.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 10, 2014, 04:10:35 PM

My Golem looks like it's rubber-coated.  In brown.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 10, 2014, 07:13:27 PM

So, Thera, the new wormhole system with NPC stations, has managed to break 42 billion in losses after it was discovered with 1086 reported losses. Not bad. people have been bubbling the stations with dictor bubbles all morning (anchored ones don't work). Fun fast paced PVP!!

Fun times. Once again people will find that staying in the place will be more trouble than the "fun" it causes, and the place will be probably as empty as low sec in a few weeks.

I'm frankly surprised that the goons didn't move into it and immediately shit up the place with bubble dongs.  If anyone in eve has the resources and manpower needed to hold that system, it's CFC or another major nullsec power, and last I was subbed goonwaffe was frankly better than their peers at subcapital warfare, which Thera requires.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 02:05:30 AM

Oh the goons are definitely in there. here is the Thera Killboard for your enjoyment

https://zkillboard.com/system/31000005/

I guess the only reason there are not space dongs is that you can't anchor bubbles in Thera.

I checked the Thera channel this morning and someone posted a video of entering Thera, which was a vid of a ship exploding, and someone else said  "pretty much", and someone else said "inb4hellcamp" So I guess things are going well for everyone.

One thing that I don't know if there is any way to know you are going to enter Thera before you dive into the wormhole. If not I think people could be caught out having no idea if they are entering a populated system where the entrance wormholes are quickly found and camped.

Hic sunt dracones.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 02:25:35 AM

One of our members - Marine - has been killing stuff (and doubtless dying) in Thera and running gangs in there, too.

Twitter - Endieposts

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 11, 2014, 06:38:27 AM

Oh the goons are definitely in there. here is the Thera Killboard for your enjoyment

https://zkillboard.com/system/31000005/

I guess the only reason there are not space dongs is that you can't anchor bubbles in Thera.

I checked the Thera channel this morning and someone posted a video of entering Thera, which was a vid of a ship exploding, and someone else said  "pretty much", and someone else said "inb4hellcamp" So I guess things are going well for everyone.

One thing that I don't know if there is any way to know you are going to enter Thera before you dive into the wormhole. If not I think people could be caught out having no idea if they are entering a populated system where the entrance wormholes are quickly found and camped.
Unless they changed the mechanic you have about 20-30 seconds of free cloak once you jump the wormhole.  The secret is to not move and use that time to assess your situation.  If it is bad you can jump back when your cloak gives out.  Then use your knowledge of the system you came from to escape anyone jumping after you.

Of course if someone is close enough to break your cloak early you are done.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:53:18 AM by Brolan »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 11, 2014, 06:55:12 AM

Not sure if wormhole mechanics behave differently, but generally the 30 second jump cloak can't be broken by outside influence.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 08:12:48 AM

No it cant be broken, and its nearer a minute. The wormhole flashes though, so anyone watching knows SOMETHING has jumped in

BTW, what HAS surprised me is the amount of covert ops frigs that are on that killboard. Its pretty startling.

Hic sunt dracones.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:32 AM

If you don't bring a covops or covop capable ship into a wormhole you might not be able to get out without podding yourself. Theras wormholes will fluctuate quite frequently due to the heavy traffic.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 09:34:57 AM

Yeah, covops are the standard ride in w-space for scanning and exploration.  Anyone who's just poking around is probably in one.  And since most of them are probably unused to finding a camped and bubbled gate, they probably panicked and died like idiots upon jumping into Thera.
Abalieno
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 11, 2014, 06:19:50 PM

Popping in to say that I resubscribed two weeks ago and having an overall great time.

My character is 10 years old, but I only subscribed 3-4 times along the years and only played for days overall without doing anything more than a few agent missions. So every time I tried to get into Eve I just got bounced back, despite my best efforts.

This time everything's different, and that's only thanks to Brave Newbies and Kira in particular. Without them I doubt anything would have changed. I'd have played for three days and then let the subscription run out again.

So the impossible happened: I'm having great fun in Eve, and the game is great despite it still sucks as it always sucked. I'm not even considering the possibility of unsubscribing.

Details of my own experience are on the QT3 forum, but the bottom line is that if I could (have fun in Eve) everyone can, these days. And CCP should be grateful that something like Brave exists.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:25:38 AM by Abalieno »

- HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:17 PM

Eve is definitely one of those games that becomes magically transformed into something awesome depending on who you are playing with.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #101 on: December 11, 2014, 11:22:56 PM

The problem in Eve was always in making it through the overhang of the infamous learning cliff. It's a lot easier with help.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 12, 2014, 03:35:17 AM

Adventures in Noob. Well I now have the ability to run a covert ops cloak, so with the help of my new Astero (thanks sisters of eve missions) I decided to be a little more adventurous. So when I scanned down a wormhole into Null in a 0.9 system I said why not.

Well that caused a bit of an adventure as it lead straight into an outpost system, and the locals when they saw me in Local immediately flew to the wormholes (there were 2 in system, one leading into deep W-space) and camped them. So, after a while of poking around (I figured there was a nasty surprise waiting for me if I tried to use the stargates) I flew 150 away from the high sec hole, waited for the dictor bubble to expire and then warped to 0 and gone.

Friendly folk the 0.0 residents aren't they? And all for little old me. I guess they fugured a 13 day old character would not be running around in a covert capable ship.

Found a few data sites in wormholes and stuff but I seriously need better hacking skills as I'm losing way too many cans to failed hacking attempts. I still made about 10 mill yesterday by cruising wormholes, which isn't bad money I guess but could be better. I could have technically ganked a heron yesterday aw well but I contended myself with scaring him off my cans. Didn't have a scram on me anyway...

Really enjoying the exploring game.

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 12, 2014, 02:25:14 PM

I finished the tutorial missions. I really enjoyed them but I have no idea what direction to go in. So I'm just going to do the  sister of eve stuff I just saw that was recommended.

I'm thinking of going an industrial route, but I dunno.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 12, 2014, 04:25:05 PM

The merc alliance I joined recently have just completed a successful contract in Sukanan. All the target poses destroyed, 67% ISK efficiency, which is reasonable, and the client was pleased. During which I managed to gimp my sec status to -8, so no jumping my blingy ships home through hi-sec without getting harassed by Concord et al.

I attended the alliance move op earlier in the hope of bumming a ride in a carrier but there was only room for the odd cruiser and there were others also trying to bum a ride which were ahead of me in the queue. So in the end I resigned myself to a 150mil push-x contract, which I duly created. In the meantime it occurred to me I had a cov-ops alt in next system, who I had been using to scout. I jumped him in and started looking for wormholes. The first hole I found led to WH space, the second hole turned out to be a low sec to low sec hole. With baited breath, I jumped my alt in and BAM! 5 jumps to home! Quickly broadcasted my discovery to the alliance and immediately a ragtag fleet started spamming ships through the hole and dropping them in the station.

I love how Eve will reward lateral thinking, this is what makes it stand out from other games.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:27:04 PM by Amarr HM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Eve becoming cool again  
Jump to: