Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  (Read 177480 times)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: November 10, 2015, 02:00:35 AM

Just finished the new xpac, good stuff.  Borrows a bit from Dragon Age: Inquisition but it's a radical change from old SWTOR.  Plus, hey, free sub.  If they keep putting out suff like this I can see them extending the game's life quite a bit. 
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #281 on: November 13, 2015, 10:07:03 AM

SWTOR actually makes a shitload of money so I don't think it has a problem there.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: November 13, 2015, 03:59:56 PM

People love their space hats!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: November 16, 2015, 03:37:13 PM

Actually, you have to pay to turn off your space hat... so yeah, they get you if you do or if you don't.

I tried again... just can't get combat to work for me - the buttons, oh the buttons.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: November 17, 2015, 06:19:14 AM

Actually, you have to pay to turn off your space hat... so yeah, they get you if you do or if you don't.

I tried again... just can't get combat to work for me - the buttons, oh the buttons.

The "secret" (and no, it's not a big secret, everyone knows it) is that each class has maybe 8 or so abilities to use in every fight. Maybe...3 or 4 situational abilities and the rest can be safely ignored.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: November 17, 2015, 05:21:36 PM

Having a gaming keypad also helps (or G510 keyboard).  You can reconfigure the UI to have ability blocks instead of bars, so the look of your pad or keyboard is mirrored in the UI.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:23:37 PM by ajax34i »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #286 on: February 20, 2016, 07:15:18 PM

Thinking of going back to this to solo.  I never finished my original launch sub.  Basic questions on returning to an MMO:

1) how fast is the leveling curve now?  Meaning, how fast can I get through the storyline?
2) is travel any easier and faster?
3) I don't mind paying for a sub.  Is there any advantage?  Other than probably more locker space I assume.
4) can you solo most of the content including instances?  I got frustrated with empty lowbie planets and cool group quests taunting me after the launch.
5) advice?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: February 20, 2016, 07:46:43 PM

Thinking of going back to this to solo.  I never finished my original launch sub.  Basic questions on returning to an MMO:

1) how fast is the leveling curve now?  Meaning, how fast can I get through the storyline?
3) I don't mind paying for a sub.  Is there any advantage?  Other than probably more locker space I assume.
4) can you solo most of the content including instances?  I got frustrated with empty lowbie planets and cool group quests taunting me after the launch.
5) advice?

Game overall is a lot more solo friendly now.  Most of the heroics are doable with just you and your companion now.  Flashpoints I think some have solo modes now, but not all of them.  A lot of the newer expansion stuff is very solo friendly, especially the new KOTFE expansion.  Personally I think having the sub is worth it if you are going to actively play.  There are lots of limitations thrown at you, that can be solved by  spending money in the cartel market though.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: February 20, 2016, 08:32:01 PM

Leveling and Travel are both significantly fasther and easier now and one of the advantages of a sub is having access to a no cooldown 'hearthstone' ability.

Pretty much everything is solo friendly now (solo as in you+NPC companion) including a lot of the dungeons that either scale to solo levels or literally give you a super powerful NPC droid that is utterly OP.

If you haven't played in a really long time, I'd recommend just making a fresh character, it's a much more streamlined experience then it was at launch.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: February 20, 2016, 09:03:00 PM

Sounds sane and what I wanted to hear.  Thank ye.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: February 21, 2016, 12:00:37 AM

I might pick this up again too. I think I left my main toon on...Hoth perhaps? I dunno. I think I was in the 40s.

Too many demands on my time. I'll play for a few weeks then have to stop for ages. And by then I've found another game. MMORPGs are just hard to stick with these days.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: February 21, 2016, 03:02:26 PM

I also stopped playing on Hoth.  It was a (frozen) desert. 

Yeah the timesink mechanic is BS today.  I'm happy to pay the trivial $15/month or whatever for 20+ hours of solo fun with no grind.  And no delays from travel, inventory mgmt, etc.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: February 22, 2016, 12:24:53 PM

5) advice?

I got the SW itch back in December, rolled a new JK, and slowly ran the character to the level cap. That was my first character to actually make it through the game, and I think SWTOR is better than it ever has been: faster leveling, less ability bloat, more focus on the content in the game that is actually good, and just friendlier & more convenient to play in general. For example you automatically learn all the flight points on a planet as soon as you start it, so there is much less tedious travel.

Leveling is much faster now. Class and Main Planet Story quests are marked as Purple quests in your log/map. Doing only those will be enough to get you all the EXP you need from a planet. If you want to run a FP or do a heroic quest or two, which are completely soloable with a companion at this point, you can even skip the Main Planet Story quests and just do your class stuff.

One of the (imo) nice changes is that once you pass the level range of a planet, the game will de-level you and allow you to continue gaining exp. For example if a planet was 16-20 and you hit level 22, it would show you as 22 (20) and you'd still be treated as a level 20 for mob scaling and exp gain. You never reach the point where everything has turned grey for you and you suddenly need to decide whether to see the end of the storyline you were working on or move on to resume gaining exp.

I'd suggest checking out this reddit FAQ if you're a returning player.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/returning_player

It has a lot of very helpful stuff like Class Story Summaries by act if you are returning mid-story to an old character, as well as topics like what a subscription gets you these days and what the expansions do.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: February 22, 2016, 08:13:52 PM

Thanks.  I will wait for the wife to go out of town and then start.  First up: inventory mgmt, then a new char.  Hoping not to burn out to try both factions fully.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: February 23, 2016, 12:43:39 AM

The good thing now is that the Heroic quests (which are ridiculously easy with your companion set to healing) reward you with level appropriate blue gear no matter where you do them.  It's more than enough to level with and you don't have to waste your crystal things buying gear or mods until you reach max level.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: February 23, 2016, 04:27:22 AM

The gear might be sub only, if I remember right.

The basic crystal currency is not hard to obtain, and you usually have 'too much' of it most of the time, so spend it freely.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: April 12, 2016, 08:17:04 PM

What are some popular classes and story lines?  I'm almost done with Counsular and need a new epic.  Thanks.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: April 12, 2016, 09:33:24 PM

I really liked the Imperial Agent storyline.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #298 on: April 13, 2016, 03:37:11 AM

Both Sith storylines were fun. I heard the smuggler was good, too. Bounty hunter was rather lame, to the point I don't even remember it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #299 on: April 13, 2016, 05:07:41 AM

My favorite for dark side is the Inquisitor one. You build up your own evil power base, bit by bit, including seizing control of a superweapon, backstabbing and being stabbed and lots of dabbling in things that were not meant to be tampered with. It suffers a little by your character being cutscene stupid on several occasions where you walk into obvious traps, but it's what I was hoping for in a Sith story.

Light side the Smuggler has by far the best first half of the game, though it becomes forgettable after that.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: April 13, 2016, 12:44:59 PM

In my opinion:

Imperial Agent - it's a good story because it has a decent plot, with twists, and endings that depend on your choices

Sith Warrior, light side - hilarious dialogue (make sure to interrupt with esc. to see all dialogue options), plausible explanations how you can be light-side empire-side

Scoundrel - story tries to be funny, often misses, but it picks up in the second half and ends up being great, as you're always one step ahead of your enemy and totally ruin them.  EDIT:  IMO plot dialogue and premise are better if you play as female, but the Corso Riggs companion dialogue is annoyingly crappy.

Jedi Consular - the combat abilities for the class are boring and "balanced" in terms of power, but the cutscenes portray you as having more Force at your disposal than Yoda, and you do some cool stuff with that.  Which is great but kinda sucks when you realize you can't do anything from the cutscenes outside the cutscenes.

Jedi Knight (male, light side) - typical "hero" stuff, a lot of the story is carried by the Kira Carsen companion and her story line, so play as a male and light-side so you can see the full version of that.

Sith Inquisitor - interesting premise, actually, and the story exposes a lot of dark side force and lore details.

Trooper, Bounty Hunter - ok story, some plot development, shrug.  Not horrible, not great, imo.  Bounty Hunter has a few funny one-liners in the dialogue, not as many as Sith Warrior though.

As far as the overall story (the 8 classes run their stories in parallel, intertwined), you probably want to go through Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight, and Jedi Consular before Imperial Agent, as the Imperial Agent ties them all together (in a spy novel way).  Although most people want to experience the best story first, and thus can't wait.

EDIT:  I paused gameplay to keep in-character notes (in notepad) of the plot details and the names of the NPC's I was talking to; you can catch the cameo appearances and the overall story cross-links that way (as you can search to see if the current names appear in other classes' story).

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:40:42 AM by ajax34i »
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: April 13, 2016, 08:31:20 PM

That's very helpful everyone, thanks.  Great to see there's more depth to plumb.  Cheers.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: April 19, 2016, 02:17:14 PM

That's very helpful everyone, thanks.  Great to see there's more depth to plumb.  Cheers.

The bounty hunter has some hilarious dark side options. Such as cut some dudes head off and put it into a sack and hand it to his kid. I chose it because I did not think he would actually do it. But he does exactly that and the kid was like WTFFFFFFFFFF.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: April 19, 2016, 08:45:11 PM

I really wish i had the time/energy for MMORPGs. These days, I have interest for a few hours a day for a week or two then....nothing for a couple of months.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: April 25, 2016, 06:39:54 AM

I restarted this. I don't understand anything, but I most especially don't understand what the fuck is going on with the skill trees and why are all my companions standing around in their underpants?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #305 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:42 AM

They got REALLY bored while you were away and, well, things happened.

Equipment stripped for some reason in a past patch, the same thing happened to mine when I went back during the pre-expansion "finish your storylines!" hype last year. Probably when they redid all that crafting stuff, if I had to guess. You should be able to reequip them, I was able to but I was also using all slotted gear on mine.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: April 25, 2016, 11:43:28 AM

Where is the best place to look for story quest spoilers?

I need to jog my memory on what the hell was going on to this point.

Also, for that matter, for character builds, figuring it out one level at a time is one thing, trying to build level 50s from in game info is less fun.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: April 26, 2016, 10:23:35 AM

Where is the best place to look for story quest spoilers?

I need to jog my memory on what the hell was going on to this point.

Also, for that matter, for character builds, figuring it out one level at a time is one thing, trying to build level 50s from in game info is less fun.

The "Returning Player" thread on the SWTOR sub-reddit has good resources for this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/returning_player

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/returning_player/general/returning/classstories

etc.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: October 11, 2016, 02:14:53 PM

The cinematic for the upcoming expansion is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpDxrew4A0

Like the other cinematics, it's really gorgeous.  Story-wise, though, it tells us nothing we didn't already know.  Watching younger (hotter) Senya open a can on a gaggle of Sith enforcer types was satisfying.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #309 on: December 02, 2016, 08:15:59 PM

Loaded this up to play on the new machine and getting random disconnects to an empty server selection screen.

Yay.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: March 31, 2017, 07:43:05 AM

First character, crafting - is there one great choice for crew skills for earning credits, or is crafting just a money sink/for fun?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #311 on: March 31, 2017, 07:50:03 AM

I like crafting but it's kind of a pain in the butt. I do the normal thing of putting harvesting stuff on my main that has the widest range of zones to collect from. It's a pretty huge money sink, though.

Slicing is the best money maker, because you can harvest (vs running missions that cost money), so it's pure profit. The missions are good, too, iirc they are a net profit. I think Treasure Hunting is ok for making money.

Not considering the market value of selling on the trade network, because I don't mess around with that part.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #312 on: March 31, 2017, 09:42:25 AM

Slicing, and the Mission skills (Treasure Hunting, Diplomacy, Investigation, Underworld Trading) were the only ones that made money. To the point they nerfed slicing, TH and UT pretty hard early on.

Crafting itself was only worthwhile if you wanted to keep the best mods on your companions. Even then you can really only focus one or two companions without grinding for supplies.

tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: March 31, 2017, 10:33:44 AM

You can make decent money from crafting, but probably not until you've maxed out. You don't need to gear companions anymore. So it depends on what you want, if you just want extra income while leveling then slicing. Maybe a couple of gathering and sell the mats. Not sure on prices, but I suspect archeology for colour crystals might be good.

If you want to gear yourself (and crafted blues are both quite easy to do and very good for your level) then maybe pick the appropriate armour crafting. Armour will give you the biggest boost simply because of the number of useful pieces one profession can do. It's easier to make the single pieces than mods now, as the mod stuff is spread over multiple professions.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: March 31, 2017, 09:47:16 PM

Thanks for the info.

This game is really packed with all sorts of things to do. I'm having a blast playing.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  
Jump to: