Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  (Read 177483 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

on: October 07, 2014, 03:39:00 PM

This has probably escaped notice for anyone outside of the SWTOR graveyard, they just announced a new expansion about Revan with a higher level cap.  In order to entice players to get their stuff up to the current cap and be ready for expansion time, game subscribers who pre-order the expansion get 12x multiplier on experience from the class storyline quests.  That's twelve, not a typo.  The result of this is that you don't have to fuck around with the rat tail collecting quests anymore and can play through a character doing just their unique storyline stuff.

So basically you can play SWTOR as a well-produced single-player game with good voice acting and stories for $35.  That's $15 for being a subscriber (non-subscribers don't get the x12 multiplier) and $20 for the expansion.  Players are saying that going through one class's story is taking about fifteen hours of gameplay with the experience boost, and there are eight classes to go through, so plenty to occupy a month's worth of playtime for anyone feeling bored right now.

The F13 remnants are on the Ebon Hawk server, and I'm shilling my referral code here: http://www.swtor.com/r/WmmQN7 for anyone who wants to take advantage of it, go through that link to make your account.  It gives some XP boosters and free inventory space to the characters made by new players, or a free server transfer and a pile of different boosters to returning players.  And gets me an ugly free speederbike, hurrah!  The XP boosters do increase the quest experience, so save them until right before doing a quest turn-in to maximize the benefit out of them.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:13:01 PM

I got the email. I just don't have the drive anymore for TOR.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:05:47 PM

That 12x multiplier is unbelievable.  Hand in 2 quests and you level up.  Two more, level up again.  1 hour.  Class quests only.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Still not fast enough with the bike travel times.  That game was an empty wasteland for me.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:01:19 PM

This is very tempting, but my dance card right now is really full.  Plus, DA:I is like in a month.   undecided

-Rasix
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:11:38 PM

Yeah, it's tempting... but something just occurred to me: if you're leveling lightning-fast from story missions, where are you going to get gear for yourself + companions? I think the endgame story bosses will be difficult to beat with level 1 gear (and the very few drops you get along the way) if you don't have a max-level character for twinking purposes...

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 12:13:00 AM

Yah, that would be an issue.  My highest character is 49, so I'm pretty much dirt poor. 

-Rasix
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 12:20:08 AM

They at least got rid of the training costs.  Which would be a pain.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 04:16:13 AM

Paying money for this game. In 2014.

swamp poop

I've never felt as let down by f13 with the response to any MMO as I was with this one. This is not a good game. It could be a shitty combat mechanics graphically meh single player game that is some fun. Sadly its not even that because they don't instance the game enough for other players to not be in your quests killing shit you were sent to kill, picking up special magical stuff you were sent to pick up on your grand quest reminding you that its a completely shit themepark MMO.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 04:54:52 AM

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 05:02:31 AM

swamp poop

I've never felt as let down by f13 with the response to any MMO as I was with this one. This is not a good game. It could be a shitty combat mechanics graphically meh single player game that is some fun. Sadly its not even that because they don't instance the game enough for other players to not be in your quests killing shit you were sent to kill, picking up special magical stuff you were sent to pick up on your grand quest reminding you that its a completely shit themepark MMO.

I don't disagree with your general sentiment, but I thought that the combat was relatively snappy compared to a lot of other MMOs, and the instancing was perfect for all the important class quests.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 08:46:25 AM

The story lines are pretty decent for the most part. I would probably do this if I weren't playing Archeage right now.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 08:54:33 AM

I thought SWTOR was pretty solid for what it was.  I enjoyed a good 6 months in the game... until all of my friends quit.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 12:27:05 PM

If I didn't have a backlog of shit to play already, I would totally take them up on 12x xp.  I only ever finished the Sith Warrior story (well, finished up to Makeb or whatever) and I rather regret not playing out several of the other stories.  I would have loved to do this 2 years ago.

Strange thing about this expansion....me being one of the hugest SW nerds that ever nerded, I read the Revan book, which is now of course totally not canon in any way anymore.  But that motherfucker got straight up murdered to death.  I won't say more, because I suppose it is possible that they are going to draw from that story line.  But yeah, he died like a bitch.  Mostly died.  Sorta.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 02:43:38 AM

swamp poop

Yes, it's an absolute tragedy when people have different tastes than you. Maybe we can get the guys who designed the 911 memorial to put something together for you.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 08:48:08 AM

Thanks for proving my point? Normally this site is smarter than to go all aggro-fanboi over such a mediocre MMO.

Why so mad that the game is bad?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 08:48:59 AM

Thanks for proving my point? Normally this site is smarter than to aggro-fanboi over such a mediocre MMO.

Game's fine. It's fun to play for many people. Stop being a douche.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:21:32 PM

I always liked SWTOR, but I hated the ability creep at higher levels. Felt like I needed at least 20 hotkeys just for normal rotations. I wish they could bring this down to 8 to 10. It would make the game much more enjoyable for me.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 01:05:54 PM

Thanks for proving my point? Normally this site is smarter than to go all aggro-fanboi over such a mediocre MMO.

For future reference (because it's probably a fairly common occurrence for you) if you say something stupid and people call you on it, that's not proving your point. Unless your point is that you're stupid I suppose, but something tells me you aren't really that self-aware.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 01:34:12 PM

For future reference if you're going to go insane over a post that says this game is bad and its nuts that people would pay money to play it...

Just fuck off instead?

I mean lets recap. I'm not allowed to say a game is bad because some people like bad games. Whatever you say silly cunt. You can throw money at whatever you want but I will continue to call a mediocre themepark MMO that had its MMO "elements" such as the were tripping over and getting in the way of the only thing it was doing right. Which was the story quests.

Feel free to spew more Bioware x Star Wars fanboi rage at me while acting like I'm not allowing people to have opinions I guess.

-William Gibson
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 01:44:36 PM

Dude.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Only schild gets to make definitive statements about the badness of games.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 01:49:43 PM

Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 01:50:35 PM

I always liked SWTOR, but I hated the ability creep at higher levels. Felt like I needed at least 20 hotkeys just for normal rotations. I wish they could bring this down to 8 to 10. It would make the game much more enjoyable for me.

Supposedly the 3.0 change from Skill Trees to "Disciplines" is going to thin things out a bit.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 01:58:18 PM

For future reference if you're going to go insane over a post that says this game is bad and its nuts that people would pay money to play it...

Just fuck off instead?

I mean lets recap. I'm not allowed to say a game is bad because some people like bad games. Whatever you say silly cunt. You can throw money at whatever you want but I will continue to call a mediocre themepark MMO that had its MMO "elements" such as the were tripping over and getting in the way of the only thing it was doing right. Which was the story quests.

Feel free to spew more Bioware x Star Wars fanboi rage at me while acting like I'm not allowing people to have opinions I guess.

You're perfectly free to dislike a game or to say it's bad. Go reread your first post though and see if you can spot where the problem is.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 02:00:34 PM

Any answer on the question above about how you would get gear levelling that fast?  Is there some sort of bioware bucks currency where I could exchange a few dollars to get credits to buy from players on the auction house?  I would like to do the class quests.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 02:11:08 PM

From what I've heard, picking the gear rewards for all the class quests is enough to stay viable.

I'd be 100% into this if the 12x XP and free training was free. They should do that. Who knows, maybe I would keep playing when I hit level 60 or whatever?
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 03:15:11 PM

Only schild gets to make definitive statements about the badness of games.

Respect.
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 03:22:37 PM

If anybody is playing or thinking of coming back hit me up. Name's tksneezey on The Ebon Hawk.

As far as gear goes, its nearly impossible to stay geared, but then thats hardly a reason to frown at free exp.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 04:38:00 PM

Any answer on the question above about how you would get gear levelling that fast?  Is there some sort of bioware bucks currency where I could exchange a few dollars to get credits to buy from players on the auction house?  I would like to do the class quests.

It's an issue, but along with training costs for class stuff being zeroed out, costs for crafting recipes are also free now I believe. You'd still have to solve how you'd get enough materials to level those up (and it will take time too), but it is another angle you could take towards gearing up.

Really I think it is more aimed at people who already have an endgame presence to get their alts up and ready for the new stuff, though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 08:03:26 PM

Staying geared will be hard if it's your first character.   If it's your 5th-8th alts and you already have L55's with crafting skills, a sizeable collection of orange armor shells, and plenty of credits, then this promo is aimed at you.

The typical method for getting in-game credits with no time invested is to buy hypercrates (24 packs each) from the cartel market and then sell the packs unopened on the GTN auction house.  Check the GTN first, see what packs are the most popular, and try those.  You need approx. 1-3 million to get cheapo green/blue gear from the GTN (the implants cost the most) for levels 15-50, and you can probably get that from 1-2 hypercrates (approx. $25 each I think).

If you want to take it slowly and not spend that much RL cash, definitely take 3 gathering professions and sell mats on the GTN.  The prices are through the roof right now.  Get past level 20 (for the mid level mats) and you can probably make 500k per day, depending on how much you gather.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 05:36:35 AM

Staying geared isnt that hard, just pickup some of the "regular" quests as you travel through on your main story arc and see what rewards they give, ditch the ones you dont get gear upgrades with and do the useful ones.  You dont need to do this often, most gear is good enough quite a few levels.  You also get a piece of gear for every part of the story arc so you keep yourself upgraded somewhat as you move through it, plus you get planetary comms you can use for upgrades as well.  Really isnt that bad
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 12:13:07 PM

I also have crafters and gathers in most professions up to 400 skill on Ebon Hawk.  I'd be willing to make stuff for people.

Mostly Vhashik and Kylantha on Imp side, but also Lashki and Evryali on Rebpublic side if good need to be swapped over.  Speaking of, anyone in the Imp guild playing?  I never got invites back after all the merges.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 03:47:29 PM

I enjoyed SWTOR's story content, most of the flashpoints, and the first two raids.

Then the new raid after those two was really really bad and I quit.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 04:49:53 PM

What's your character name Lant? I'm playing again and can send you an invitation if I see you on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  
Jump to: