Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  (Read 178403 times)
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 31, 2014, 08:24:48 PM

Yeah, on your first character you have to finish the starter planet and get to level 10 to get your Legacy established (pick a name for it, activate it).

After that, it'll be available at level 1 if you create more alts. 

However, some of the unlocks have Legacy level prerequisites.  In general, if you want to pay in-game credits for unlocks instead of cartel coins, you have to also meet the legacy level prerequisites.  They're not too bad, though, LL5 - LL10, can get that from getting your first character to level 40 or so, I think.  The current 12x bonus exp applies.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 01, 2014, 10:41:02 AM

On the 3rd planet now; w/ improved rocket boost II (which I was able to get w/ almost just the 500 bonus cartel coins I got automatically when I subbed), skipping generic PvE to get to the story content has never been easier.

Jesus christ this game has boring PvE. I like the story stuff, but I was unprepared for just how bad of an MMO SWTOR is as an MMO. Combat actually feels worse than it did in the SWG NGE... or Anarchy Online for that matter, a decade ago. Or Champions Online. This is probably the worst combat I've ever experienced in an MMO. I am trying to think of a way other than "play through BioWare star wars storyline stuff" that this isn't an irredeemibly shitty game.

Also I am level 18 on the 3rd planet and the game has never put a mat in front of me, asked me if I want to learn crafting, any of that shit. So as far as I'm aware that shit doesn't exist for me atm. Is that some level 20 unlock?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:47:51 AM by Scold »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 01, 2014, 11:01:38 AM

The intro to crafting quest is one of the first things you see when your dude goes to Fleet for the first time. Maybe you were so overleveled that you missed it at the terminal?
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 01, 2014, 11:25:02 AM

I don't remember ever ending up at a terminal when I went to fleet. K, grabbed it now.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:27:53 AM by Scold »
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 01, 2014, 11:33:52 AM

Okay WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT.

I buy a Builder's Pack to sell on the GTN for some credits, and apparently *it's bound to me for 36 hours for no apparent fucking reason*. So I have to wait 36 hours, AKA all my weekend playtime, to get cash out of it.

Aside from the fun singleplayer, from the first 20 levels this is honestly the worst fucking MMO I've ever played.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: November 01, 2014, 12:00:20 PM

All Cartel items are bound for 36 hours.  It has been that way since the start.  It may be longer for f2p, not sure though.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: November 01, 2014, 12:48:10 PM

All Cartel items are bound for 36 hours.  It has been that way since the start.  It may be longer for f2p, not sure though.

I'm not F2P, I'm subbed. And "It has been that way since the start" doesn't in the slightest excuse the game unless you're already wedded to the game for some reason.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 01, 2014, 01:01:04 PM

Aside from the fun singleplayer, [snip] the worst fucking MMO I've ever played.
Sums up SWTOR quite well. Should've just been KOTOR3.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 01, 2014, 02:45:10 PM

On the plus side, moment of genuine joy: Right after he dismounts a taxi, an animation bug causes my bounty hunter to sprint with both hands straight down at his sides like he's Forrest Gump. A+
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: November 01, 2014, 05:35:03 PM

Aside from the fun singleplayer, [snip] the worst fucking MMO I've ever played.
Sums up SWTOR quite well. Should've just been KOTOR3.

It's a decent diku game with a cool story element. Probably one of the best dikus  around. But that still ranks as a shitty game these days.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 02, 2014, 07:03:20 PM

On the plus side, moment of genuine joy: Right after he dismounts a taxi, an animation bug causes my bounty hunter to sprint with both hands straight down at his sides like he's Forrest Gump. A+

Heh.  Wait till you have to destroy a crate, camera, or whatever by shooting it with your weapon.  Your bounty hunter will forget to holster it, and you'll look quite silly, especially on speeders.  Even worse if you're a force user with a lightsaber, that thing will stay on as you ride your speeder or do animated emotes.

Cutscenes ignore color-coordination for your companions, displaying their outfits in their original color (dye packs are ignored). 
Some armors have skin-colored flaps instead of leather or metal colored flaps. 
Cloaks clip through your speeder.  Weapons clip through some robes.
Companions look up at the ceiling, bending backwards unnaturally, when you ride any elevator.
Bystander NPCs will start a conversation with each other, and if you move away before its end, you'll suddenly hear the end of the conversation at max volume, even though you're miles away.
There's no swimming.  Speeder jet engines work while submerged in water, apparently.

Game has bugs.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: November 02, 2014, 09:04:45 PM

Pretty sure I'm going to drop the ~$25 and buy Treek. Seems like she'll massively help with some of the trickier boss battles, works w/ all player classes, and on top of that I don't have to worry about gearing her out. And then presumably whenever I'm doing anything story related, I swap her back out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #82 on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:36 PM

Er, why do you think you don't have to worry about gearing her?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: November 02, 2014, 10:17:35 PM

She doesn't come with 55 gear.. I think it's level 10 or 20?
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: November 03, 2014, 08:40:51 AM

I'm sure there's a good reason for the Cartel Market 36 Hour Bind that I can't articulate. It does smell of a preventative measure against some type of abuse.

For sure this game has bugs that the Live team will never fix. It's possible to be unable to complete Corellia's main quest chain if you abandon a specific mission in the chain. That pissed me off because it revealed a huge flaw in their mission design that QA should have immediately caught and identified. This game did take like 5 years to develop.

It'll never work flawlessly, but at least they are putting out new content on a reasonably timely schedule.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: November 03, 2014, 09:08:37 AM

She doesn't come with 55 gear.. I think it's level 10 or 20?

She comes with orange gear which you then buy mods for as appropriate.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 03, 2014, 04:59:41 PM

I would describe that as having to worry about gearing her.  tongue

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: November 03, 2014, 10:04:17 PM

Yeah.  At 2-3 mods (3-4 if you augment) per piece, that's a lot of gearing.  I prefer doing that since I care more about looks than combat effectiveness, but without a crafter to handle, it's pretty easy to fall behind.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: November 09, 2014, 09:24:34 PM

Update: I am having the best damn time with this game. I am studiously ignoring any MMO features whatsoever - other than asking in general chat when I have a question that needs answering, I'm full singleplayer, I think I grouped with one guy once for a pain-in-the-ass boss.

All 8 of my characters are in the level 25-30 range. The storylines are all pretty great, though if I had to pick out one as the weakest it's definitely the Jedi Consular.

I did as suggested, got an orange adaptive suit for 10k credits, and then used the storebought green mods on each planet (nice and cheap, no GTN to worry about) to turn it into real gear. The result has been lovely so far.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 12, 2014, 09:45:41 AM

Still having fun, but god I hate Alderaan. 5-10 minutes of running to get everywhere, long linear dungeons killing the same group of mobs you can't skip 20x times to get to the end.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: November 12, 2014, 11:33:42 AM

Wait until Corellia.  swamp poop Alderaan's spread out, but Corellia is soulless and one of the worst designed zones I've ever encountered in an MMO. Hellgate: London was more interesting.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 12, 2014, 01:01:51 PM

Something I just realized that I wish someone had told me earlier:

As soon as you have credits through GTN'ing packs or whatever, if you want to experience the game's romances, use vendor items in the capital city to get your companion up to affection rank 4 (6,000 affection and above). The easy-peasy vendor option only works for ranks 1 and 2 (rank 2 gifts still get you 50% affection in rank 3, which isn't nothing, so 24k creds handles the level), so best to have all your affection gains in conversation go toward getting you through the harder ranks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:27:02 PM by Scold »
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 12, 2014, 01:41:05 PM

The game has its own sub-forum, it's just been moved to the graveyard a while ago; companion affection and how to maximize it was a recent topic of discussion there.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:12 AM

Welp, resubbed for that sweet, sweet 12x bonus, I haven't played in the longest time. I have a couple 50s but now I can finally finish up everyone else's stories. I wanted to back when I played but I just could not stomach doing the same quests over and over. Whoever came up with this idea is a marketing genius. Also big thanks to the person a page back with the handy Cartel Coin guide. Nowhere else I've seen laid it out so handily.

I was somehow gifted Bat Country leadership by logging in and it kept bugging me to rename the guild. 'Bat Country' was taken so we are now unfortunately named 'Nobody's Home.' My sincerest apologies.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #94 on: November 13, 2014, 09:10:35 AM

Nobody's Home is much more apt.

Also could have gone with Tumbleweeds Inc.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 13, 2014, 11:00:26 AM

The few of us that are active are in the alternative Bot Country.  I think someone else mentioned being in Bat Country?  No telling how many guilds we've ended up having after all the moves.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 13, 2014, 11:02:26 AM

Yea the various server transfers and naming issues fucked everything right up.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #97 on: November 13, 2014, 04:42:22 PM

I was the leader of Bat Country, but I let my sub lapse and refunded the xpac.  It's just not fun to me.  I tried, though!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 13, 2014, 04:51:34 PM

You should have let someone empty out the guild bank. tongue

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: November 14, 2014, 02:12:43 PM

The old guild had a bank?

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: November 14, 2014, 02:53:03 PM

It has one called the Bat Cave. Not really much in it aside from assorted greens and crafting recipes.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 16, 2014, 04:07:12 AM

Wait until Corellia.  swamp poop Alderaan's spread out, but Corellia is soulless and one of the worst designed zones I've ever encountered in an MMO. Hellgate: London was more interesting.

Voss. I fucking hated Voss.

Corellia is a sprawling mess, but you can avoid shit by going the long way around. Voss is a godawful maze of trash mob aggro radii and impassable walls.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 19, 2014, 10:29:23 PM

Did you confuse Voss with Belsavis?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #103 on: December 20, 2014, 07:44:04 PM

There's a difference?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 21, 2014, 12:26:29 PM

A couple yes.

For starters, Voss gives you unlocked flight points to the whole planet.

Belsavis has locked flight points and a separate teleport network, both of which don't work when you miss any link in the chain.

Voss is mostly open plains with avoidable mobs, outside of the last zone the shadowlands.

Belsavis is literally a prison planet, where getting anywhere on foot is an exercise in "can I climb up this hill/is there a hole in this wall/will this tunnel lead me out?"

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  
Jump to: