Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Final Fantasy XV 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XV  (Read 37742 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 18, 2016, 04:11:49 AM

It's not so much that 13 went "overboard" on linearity. To an extent 10 could fall into the same bracket. The difference is that 13's linearity didn't allow you to return to previous points in the game. If you didn't bag in the info on a monster or collect something important before Gran Pulse, you had to start all over.

I really liked the FFXII system and I wish they'd do it again, without the MMO inspired components (such as terrible, terrible drop rates for items).

I disagree with the MMO inspired bits. That was the whole premise of 12; taking what they did with 11 and bringing it to a single-player level. If anything, 12 and 9 compete for 1st place on my top FF games all the time. Hell, I'm playing through 12 again right now just to pass the time for WoW Legion.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 18, 2016, 09:59:00 AM

All I could think while watching it was that if I wanted to play Dishonored, I would just play that instead.  This is not what I want out of this franchise at all, and the fact that they thought this made a good promo video is terrifying.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 18, 2016, 11:24:21 AM

I think it looks amazing and I appreciate them speeding up the game play.  One thing I noticed as I'm current going through FF7 again (just finished "Disk 1") is how some of the unnecessarily long battle animations really grate on me these days especially since nothing else moves while they play out.  I think that's why I'm more of a fan of 13 than most people seem to be as I really liked the faster paced combat that was basically the job system without all the manual input.  I mean most of the time your spamming the same attacks anyways so spamming them or leaving it on memory cursor is basically not that much different.

10 & 13 do both suffer from basically being a series of hallways.  I agree with Cyrrex, I don't hate the linear, I would just prefer it not feel so much like a hallway.  Even Gran Pulse isn't all that open though it's better for sure.  That's one thing that still great about about 7 is how they used depth on the individual screens to make the world feel less hallway like but still it's mostly just a series of screens (like temple of the ancients or the shinra building).

12 is pretty low on my totem of FF games but I think it was more of the characters and the story than anything else.  The world & areas were well designed and the license grid was a decent level up system.   I didn't like the 'target lines' during battle but I don't think that was a deal breaker.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:26:45 AM by Druzil »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #73 on: February 18, 2016, 12:06:51 PM

12 is my least favourite. No single player game had anything to learn from MMORPG combat. Complete poop.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: February 18, 2016, 12:43:51 PM

I dunno, I thought 12 did a good job of keeping the "feel" of Final Fantasy combat without needing to teleport your character in to a weird pocket universe every time combat happened.  The gambit system was a neat idea, I thought, in that it freed up a lot of the mundane tasks that the turn based combat revolved around and turned them in to a bit of a programming puzzle rather than just busywork.  It was a nice way to spice up the combat a bit without diving too much further in to the esoteric nonsense that FF combat has been moving towards.

Some of the drop rates were a bit bullshit (looking at the Zodiac Spear specifically, whoever designed that stupid chest puzzle needs to be kicked in the balls) but overall I thought it was more fun than ff10 (or any of the actual MMOs as far as I've seen)
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 18, 2016, 06:33:14 PM

I dunno, I thought 12 did a good job of keeping the "feel" of Final Fantasy combat without needing to teleport your character in to a weird pocket universe every time combat happened.  The gambit system was a neat idea, I thought, in that it freed up a lot of the mundane tasks that the turn based combat revolved around and turned them in to a bit of a programming puzzle rather than just busywork.  It was a nice way to spice up the combat a bit without diving too much further in to the esoteric nonsense that FF combat has been moving towards.

Some of the drop rates were a bit bullshit (looking at the Zodiac Spear specifically, whoever designed that stupid chest puzzle needs to be kicked in the balls) but overall I thought it was more fun than ff10 (or any of the actual MMOs as far as I've seen)

Absolutely. Combat was great - tactical and immersive. Gambits were fun (and I don't know how Dragon Age fucked up their similar system), and character progression via licensing was pretty awesome.

The drop rates can go to hell, though — rare monsters shouldn't have 0.5% to 2% drop rates if they're the only source of the item and you want or expect your players to obtain said item.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: February 20, 2016, 04:50:01 AM

Damnit, now you guys have me craving some replay time with my FF XII and remembering that I lent my ps2 out to a friend......

Any reccomendations for a good PS2 emulator?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 20, 2016, 05:01:57 AM

I was just thinking that too. It's not on Steam yet either.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: February 20, 2016, 06:11:55 AM

PCSX2 was the go-to PS2 emulator years ago. I don't know if anything's changed since then.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: February 20, 2016, 06:15:05 AM

If you have a fairly good PC, PCSX2 is pretty solid.

I can run a copy of the FFXII International edition patched to English (the voice acting is in English already, the patch just slots in the English text) with AA and texture filters applied at 60 FPS with no drops whatsoever.

That said, if you want to play FFXII again, find a copy of the International Zodiac Job System, which is far better than the initial release, with a revamping of the license board (you assign a "class" to each character, and that class has its own mini license board of limited stuff fitting it), quicker access to all the Gambit options, the removal of the asinine trap chests that lock you out of loot, and the ability to tap a shoulder button to flick on a super speed option to make running around or automated grinding with Gambits go very very fast.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 20, 2016, 10:15:05 AM

This thread has reminded me that I have a crusty FFXII disc sitting around, and I never made it past the first hour in that game for some reason.

That said, if you want to play FFXII again, find a copy of the International Zodiac Job System

I recognize these as words, but I do not understand what they mean.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: February 20, 2016, 11:42:23 AM

They never made a sequel to XII like they did with X and XIII. Instead, they remixed the original game and called it the International Zodiac Job System release. The changes are as Koro mentioned; you don't have six generic characters that have the same license boards, can wear all the same equipment, do all the same things, etc. You have to specialize each of your characters in a particular class (a la MMO-style), and build/adjust your party based on what you run into. It's definitely harder, but much more fun to tackle objectives and such.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:53:10 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #82 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:14 AM

No, in XIII the gauge defined the time in which you could decide what attacks to perform and queue up, but if you didn't in time enemies still attacked you, so no they are not waiting for your turn to be over until they take theirs. Oh, and your turn timer is about 3 seconds. So definitely not turn based, more like "real time on a 3 seconds global cooldown, and you can't move".
That's not really a new thing for FF though. As far back as FFIV they've used the ATB system where enemies can still take action while you're choosing your attack/spell/whatever. You could usually toggle it to pause while you're in the menus, but doing so was considered putting the game on an easier difficulty and it was not default.

This is 100% correct.  ATB has existed for a long, long time.

FFIV is a personal favorite.  My wife cares deeply for FFXII.  Neither were turn-based but pausing the action is possible in each.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: February 23, 2016, 11:08:02 AM

Yeah, that quote of mine was a response to Azuredream asking if 13 was considered turn-based or not. FFXIII isn't turn based, and last turn-based one was FFX fifteen years ago. That is all.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: February 23, 2016, 11:37:16 AM

Wow is it really 15 years since FF X . . .
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: February 23, 2016, 11:42:13 AM

FFXIII might not have been turn-based in the strictest sense but I would consider it more leaning toward that side than toward the ARPG side. Either way, the video was only made to look pretty, and the combat may or may not look anything like that in the finished product. We'll have to wait and see what the system actually is.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
schild
Administrator

Reply #86 on: February 24, 2016, 01:37:05 PM

I have no idea what I think about that battle video. I badly wanted this game. I did not badly want Splinter Fantasy Warriors.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 02, 2016, 10:23:13 AM

I think I like it but I'm pretty sure I'm not 16 years old to pull off combos like that.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:30 AM

Minor spoiler warning, contains a few mentions of the first few hours of the game.   Nothing that should ruin much for you I wouldn't think (there's a car!).  The link has some interesting info including the game having level-able fishing, cooking & chocobo racing.

It also says the PC version is under consideration, which makes sense with all the recent Steam FF releases, but it sounds like it won't be on Sept 30.   

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/06/final-fantasy-xv-gets-details-story-gameplay-game-informer/

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 06, 2016, 05:00:13 PM

From that last linked article:

Magic spells are collected like a resource and can be recharged at various places on the map (think FFVIII‘s Draw system).

Just when I thought I couldn't be any less interested in this game.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 06, 2016, 10:38:48 PM

Yeah, that sounds ugh.  8 had the worst combat in general, and the Draw shit basically killed it.  Not something I'd want to see again, but I guess we'll see.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 07, 2016, 12:50:34 AM

I think it just means that the game is less magic-oriented than usual. Melee and guns, mostly (which, let's face it, still function as magic of some sort). Whereas constant and endless use of magic spells would have not fit the setting.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 15, 2016, 09:49:02 AM

Delayed until Nov 29th.   The game went gold but they decided they are going to delay two months to avoid a day 1 patch and ship the current day one patch on the disk instead of using the current gold master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wepgwx_9kto   (turn on subtitles)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #93 on: August 15, 2016, 01:44:37 PM

Yeah, I don't really know how to resolve merge conflicts either.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #94 on: November 14, 2016, 09:40:12 PM

I know Conan loves to rag on games in these segments, but they could have done a much better job of getting him some good material. This looks kinda bad, we'll see. Framerate also looked terrible but "it's beta".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 30, 2016, 08:17:04 AM

So, this is out. Any good? I haven't been following it but I have 11 days off starting tomorrow so I could pick it up.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 30, 2016, 09:49:18 AM

I can't really say whether or not it's good yet, I've only played ~3ish hours.   So far I like it.

If you are looking for turn based combat, this is not it.  It's also not DMC/Bayonetta action combat.   It's kind of this strange middle ground where you hold down buttons for evading and combos and attempt to get behind enemies.  It keeps most of the FF elements from recent games like elemental weaknesses (also weapon type weaknesses), 'break' status, etc.   It also has the Gear of War mechanic where when a character hits 0 hp you have to run over to him and help him up.  Your main character can also warp around, which might have some cool uses but it's also a bit fiddly.  If your having trouble with the action you can switch into 'wait mode' where when you stop moving, the action pauses and lets you do more strategic things. I have not played with it for more than 30 seconds or so.

As far as the game goes, the first area is very much an open world game.  It's very large and open, and there is quite a bit of running around (or driving/chocobos).   You go to a 'tipster' which unlocks icons on your map which is all stuff for you to go and do or collect.   Magic is crafted from resource nodes that you wander around and gather.  There's also other crafting materials for food, your car, hidden treasure and so on.  The story seems to follow the standard open world game mainline story and then side content through the world.   Each character has a profession (cooking, fishing, survival and photography) which they level up.   There's a Skyrim-like ability grid system for unlocking skills and stats.  The hunt system from FF12 seems to be back.

The initial loading screen is obnoxiously long but once you are past it I played with almost no loading.  I'm assuming you'll get it if you switch areas or chapters.  So far no technical issues and everything looks good.   You can pick between English/Japanese voices and text (and a few others).

I think the best part so far is that it just feels like a good open world.   While you walk around your characters have a good amount of banter between each other.   You go into restaurants and they are full of people talking.  Driving around and having quest givers calling you on your cell phone is pretty cool.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 30, 2016, 10:38:24 AM

After reading some reviews, I don't think it's for me. Apparently the second half of the game is really linear, and that combat system doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. I also thought it was out on PC; maybe when they port it and it goes on Steam sale.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 07, 2016, 03:41:29 AM

I enjoyed the previous single player Final Fantasy games that I've played (all of them from VI to XIII)but I'm finding it hard to get in to this one.

Combat is completely different to other single player FF games, and while the combat has changed a lot over time it felt like a progression from one system to a fairly similar system. This time it's just completely different and I'm not sure it's for me. :super sad face:
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 15, 2016, 07:02:20 AM

This was a very odd game for me. I loved some parts but was very let down by other parts. One of the biggest letdowns, sadly, was the story and can be summed up by this conversation with my coworker.

Me: The story felt lacking. Like it wanted you to feel emotion but didn't bother setting things up properly.
Coworker: Did you watch the movie?
Me: No. Not yet.
Coworker: If you watch the movie it gives you all the background on what's going on.
Me: That should be in the game, not the add-on movie...

Another example is the love-interest:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:07:10 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #100 on: December 15, 2016, 07:34:38 AM

Coworker: If you watch the movie it gives you all the background on what's going on.

I was just coming to post a question about this and you confirmed it. I'm only at the very beginning of the game, but the first two nights I tried to play this I fell asleep within ten minutes. I hung on last night to see the ferry ride and the beginning cutscene that creates the event and sets the story. And by 'sets the story', I mean it was flashes of things happening and not actually telling anything. Your assessment of the game as a whole mirrors my first few hours.

They decided to create a product suite instead of a game and it shows. So now I have to decide if I want to throw another $5 at this just to understand what is happening. Fucking ludicrous.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #101 on: December 15, 2016, 10:38:03 AM

The answer is always no to the question of, "Do I really want to pay these guys more so I understand this bullshit?"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #102 on: December 15, 2016, 12:22:24 PM

They decided to create a product suite instead of a game and it shows. So now I have to decide if I want to throw another $5 at this just to understand what is happening. Fucking ludicrous.

This is the reason I stopped caring about Star Wars products in the 90s.  Effing Shadows Of The Empire.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 15, 2016, 02:54:59 PM

Didn't they take a lot of flak for this kind of thing in FF13?  About how the game made no sense, and you had to dig through mountains of journal entries if you wanted to know anything about the setting or characters?  And they decided to make it WORSE here?  Really?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 16, 2016, 07:53:00 AM

I've never actually played a Final Fantasy. It's a weird gap in my gaming biography. Don't think I'll start with this one, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Final Fantasy XV  
Jump to: