Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Final Fantasy XV 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XV  (Read 37740 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #105 on: December 16, 2016, 08:04:04 AM

I've never actually played a Final Fantasy. It's a weird gap in my gaming biography. Don't think I'll start with this one, though.

Don't start with 13 either. Fuck's sake that was horrible. Pretty but horrible.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: December 17, 2016, 04:03:46 PM

I guess if you've never played a Final Fantasy game you could hold out for the FF VII remake. If you don't enjoy FF VII you can be pretty sure Final Fantasy just isn't for you.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: December 17, 2016, 04:20:21 PM

I guess if you've never played a Final Fantasy game you could hold out for the FF VII remake. If you don't enjoy FF VII you can be pretty sure Final Fantasy just isn't for you.
7 was the high point in popularity where Square decided afterward that every game was going to be heavily story based with cut scenes and essentially making them interactive movies. From 1-6 there's a lot more focus on different mechanics for the game with increases in story drama as each game progresses. But yeah, if you've never played one and don't like 7, it's hard to convince you otherwise. I personally dislike 7 and any of the ones after it, but I'm a special case. 15 just doesn't sound like any kind of fun to me.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 17, 2016, 04:35:06 PM

The 7 remake is unlikely to play anything like 7 did. I would suggest you track down an emulator and play IV or VI. They're the high point of the series.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #109 on: December 17, 2016, 07:06:35 PM

VII is really long and has relatively shit mechanics. IV or VI (emulator) would both be better start points. IX or X could work too. Neither are favs for different reasons. IX is basically nostalgia farming before it got trendy, and X is somewhat ponderous and up its own ass.

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #110 on: December 18, 2016, 04:25:21 AM

Most of Square's output after the SNES era is up its own ass.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #111 on: December 18, 2016, 04:53:52 AM

Yep 7 (which did not age well) and 9 (who's art style bugs the shit out of me) were the only two after 6 I thought channeled some of the old glory.  I haven't played any of the shit after 10.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:39:59 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #112 on: December 18, 2016, 03:31:38 PM

XII is my favorite one after 4 & 6. It's also the one most like FFXV, which I'm enjoying.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #113 on: December 27, 2016, 04:22:56 PM

Does it look this bad for everyone else?
I'm playing on Xbox One. Don't see much about resolution issues being posted which is weird when it looks like that. Any post I've made elsewhere people reply that my screen it too big  Ohhhhh, I see.
It makes no sense, maybe my game is bugged somehow.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 23, 2017, 07:55:48 AM

So did anyone else finish this? I finally wrapped up the main quest line this weekend. Kind of had to push through the end, nearly just quit playing but pushed on since I'd put so much time in it. I'd say I ended up with a love/hate with this game... loved the open world stuff in the first few chapters, but the last 2 chapters really put me off and were a chore to get through. I was happy to finally be able to just return to the open world stuff after finishing the main quest, and probably put in another few hours. So much I disliked about this game looking back that I'm suprised it kept my attention so long and that I overall enjoyed it. I cannot explain why.

I'm not the type to replay games typically so no plans for NG+ for me. At this point I only want to fire it up again to see the Moogle (sp?) Carnival or whatever it is they are adding, today or soon I think.

I also picked up and watched Kingsglaive and thought it was excellent. Great movie and stands on its own IMO.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #115 on: January 23, 2017, 09:51:09 PM

I think I'm done with this at chapter 3. I just don't understand the game, what it is trying to be. The story is meh and the combat is terrible. I'm not even sure what is going on with combat; I'm just pressing buttons.

I suspect I'm overwhelmed by too many new systems thrown at me right from the start. But there's so much bullshit, from cooking to photography to fishing to car driving... Does this ever get to be a fun game?
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: January 24, 2017, 01:15:21 AM

Does this ever get to be a fun game?

They are planning to fix/enhance the gameplay and story, but still no announced timeframe for those patches. I decided I'll wait for those, but it may turn out to be a long wait.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #117 on: January 24, 2017, 07:15:10 AM

They are planning to fix/enhance the gameplay and story, but still no announced timeframe for those patches. I decided I'll wait for those, but it may turn out to be a long wait.

Status quo for games these days... $60 gets you the beginnings of the game, or wait 2 years and get the complete game for less.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: January 24, 2017, 07:16:14 AM

If you don't like the combat by chapter 3, it never gets any different in any meaningful way.  It continues to be frustrating against large groups of enemies and close to being good but not quite there against single large enemies.  There's not enough strategy in the combat to make the boss encounters fun or engaging.

Parts of the story definitely get better but it's just only half delivered and it feels like major chunks are missing.  You'll get a little one sentence blurb about something on the loading screen between chapters and then later realize that major things actually happened and all you got was that one sentence about it.  Sometimes the only way to fill in the details is by the banter between characters just running around.  There were a few times I had no idea what happened or why I was doing some big story quest.  They can talk about chapter 13 all they want but the story problems start WAY before that.

A few of the dungeon style quests were really great and I think they're the best parts of the game.  Especially the ones with the guest characters.  They are pretty short though and depending on your pacing of the main quest you can spend tens of hours in between them.

If you like their open world style quests there's never any shortage of those, but they never lead anywhere.  There seems to be quite a bit of hate for the fishing mini game, but that was once of the most fun parts of the game for me.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: January 25, 2017, 07:26:49 AM

Moogle Chocobo Carnival was not worth firing the game up again. Outside of the initial view of what the place looks like, OK, neat but the rest is boring stuff. I will say the image quality looked improved at the carnival, but no idea if that is a fix that carries over to main game because I'm done and not interested in going back. So Carnival was not worth the 2.5gb update with my slow ass back county internet pipe.

I don't typically enjoy these honest trailer videos, but this FFXV one is pretty much in line with my thoughts. Thinking more about why I put 50 some hours into this game, I wonder how much of it had to do with the fun my wife and I had mocking everything in the game as I played, since that's the most memorable thing to me in the end.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #120 on: January 25, 2017, 07:41:27 AM

Okay, now I know this isn't the game for me. Thanks for sharing that video.

This is a bad game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Final Fantasy XV  
Jump to: