Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  (Read 90408 times)
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

on: July 27, 2014, 01:04:01 PM

Trailer for the new Mad Max film has been released.  Written and directed by the same guy that did the first two Mad Max flicks, and it looks good.
Bonus: the same actor that played Toecutter in the first film is the main baddie in this one.

http://youtu.be/akX3Is3qBpw

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:33:28 PM

Looks great but I see a distinct lack of blood in this trailer.  If this is pg-13 I'm just out, as good as everything else looks if it's not violent it just won't be mad max to me.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:44:01 PM

All I can say is, Fuck yeah.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:59:21 PM

These people look entirely too clean.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:32:53 PM

....I'm sorry, but someone who thinks that trailer shows a movie that is insufficiently violent is someone who needs to go to the eye doctor and make sure their vision isn't impaired.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:16:02 PM

....I'm sorry, but someone who thinks that trailer shows a movie that is insufficiently violent is someone who needs to go to the eye doctor and make sure their vision isn't impaired.

Bloodless pg-13 family friendly violence sure.  Watch the trailer again, he "shoots" a driver point blank in the face and all you see is the drivers head jolt back to indicate something happened.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 08:04:14 PM

swamp poop

It's a trailer. Like, trailers unless they're red band have to be PG-13. The mood that it clearly conveys suggests to me that Fury Road is AT LEAST as violent as Road Warrior 2. So if that passed muster with you, fine. If it didn't I don't know why you're caring about whether Fury Road has blood in it or not. If blood specifically matters that much to you, go slop some ketchup on your arms and run around pretending to be Lord Humongous.

It's also George Miller, who made all three of the previous films in the series. So again, if the others passed muster in the blood department, I think there's no reason to suspect otherwise this time around. I don't think you're getting a PG-13 when your main character gets strapped to the front of a mutant's car and has a gimp mask welded around him after having had words carved into his flesh.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 08:31:59 PM

It was a 200mil dollar movie that went way over time and budget, there is a very heavy chance suits got involved to ensure this returns on their investment and an R rated movie has slim chance of that.   Is it possible it's an R?  Sure.  A 200mil dollar R movie?  That hasn't happened in a LONG time. 

I got burned by the robocop reboot.  Never again!

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 08:48:53 PM

It's George Miller. It will be late, over-budget, and bug-fuck crazy with a 50/50 chance of being awesome or stupid.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:27:51 AM

It's also George Miller, who made all three of the previous films in the series whose last three films where "Babe: Pig in the City", "Happy Feet" and "Happy Feet 2".

Fixed that for you.  why so serious?

Trailer looks mental - love it.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:43:30 AM

"Happy Feet" was a fucking brutal movie.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 01:45:43 AM

Got excited when I saw the Interceptor returned - the rest was meh. It didn't look to be anywhere near the original 2 in terms of grittiness - and yes, I am old enough to have seen the earlier movies in the cinema when they were released uncut and un-dubbed in Aussie cinemas.

Judging Miller on Thunderdome is a bad move - that was nowhere near the first two in terms of decent movie making.

I'll be very happy for this film to be awesome, but like others, I've been burnt before on expecting too much of a franchise.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:40 AM

I'm ready for some gritty, dystopian future, but enough about America, bring this movie on!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 05:17:04 AM

Pig in the City is also really dark. Big mistake to think of it as a light-hearted kid's film.

I actually like a lot of Thunderdome. There's some great and twisted stuff in the first half.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:11 AM

I was already down with Tom Hardy as Max before seeing a single image, but that little moment where he gives the half-hearted thumbs up sold it.

Also, I love Thunderdome.  Never understood why people disliked it.  Maybe it wasn't as strong as a whole compared to the other two, but it was chock full of great moments and characters.  Pig-killer, Master Blaster, Auntie Entity, that weird announcer dude, Thunderdome itself, the aviator - who technically wasn't the aviator from Road Warrior even though it was the same actor... okay, that bit was kinda weird.  Even the kids, who many seemed to dislike, had their moments, like the history lesson with the frame on a stick to represent a TV screen.  "Pox-eclipse!"

One of my favorite lines,
"If you've got nothing to trade then you have no business in Bartertown."
"I've got skills.  I can trade them."
"The brothel's full."

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 12:54:57 PM

Pig in the City is also really dark. Big mistake to think of it as a light-hearted kid's film.

Yeah Pig in the City is definitely not what you'd think. It's a plus as far as his film resume goes IMO.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 12:57:42 PM

Well, the leaked script for Babe, Pig in the BLT was much darker.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:38:42 PM

I could have sworn I put a  why so serious? in my last post.

I'm not casting nasturtiums on either Happy Feet (which I love) or Babe 2 (which I also like but not as much as Babe which Miller also produced and co-wrote the screenplay of). I'm just highlighting the fact that his last three films have all been kids films and largely devoid of R-Rated blood, violence  and lacking in people being tortured, raped, strapped to the front of cars, having their hands sliced off, heads caved in or being blown apart with shotguns.

Also, I love Thunderdome.  Never understood why people disliked it.

That's the only film of George Miller's that gets a "meh" from me (apart from maybe Happy Feet 2 but that's based on not actually remembering much about it after half watching it with the kids) - he's got a pretty flawless resume otherwise. It's not that it didn't have some great or memorable scenes but the pacing was off, the messianic sub-plot felt very out of place and, I don't know, it just didn't have that same, visceral gut-punch feeling that the first two had. Plus it always reminded me of Lord of the Flies which I was studying at the time with a teacher I despised so it has those associations too, I guess.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:45:28 PM

I don't know, it just didn't have that same, visceral gut-punch feeling that the first two had. Plus it always reminded me of Lord of the Flies which I was studying at the time with a teacher I despised so it has those associations too, I guess.

This is also due to the fact that thunderdome was a pg-13 movie which is exactly why I fear for the rating in this new one.  If you cannot show the brutal reality of the mad max apocalypse it really loses it's punch. 

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 03:56:14 PM

Never have been able to sit thru the first one.  Second is godly.  The third one was pretty cool.  Lots of good lines in it.

I've heard that:

MM=The Fall of Civilization
RW=the pure anarchy
BT=Civilization Rebuilding

I like Tom Hardy, I have faith in this being good.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:46 PM

I loved all the Mad Max films so I'm happy about this.  Tom Hardy is wonderful.  He was awesome in Inception and that film about the boxers that has the name I forgot.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 03:00:08 AM

I always have to double think when people say RW. It was never titled that on release - they dropped the Mad Max 2 title for US audiences because as I recollect, Mad Max had never been released in the US prior to 2.

Watching the original again - I can never choose between it and the second movie. They both stand on their own feet exceptionally well without being part of a series - I have the uncut version of 1 and it aged really well - I still see some of the 60s and 70s metal on the road today over here. Two is eminently watchable - I don't even feel it to be dated although I have to remind myself how long ago it was shot. Sadly, some of the actors went on to do Aussie soap operas or kids shows which ruins the immersion a little bit.

I'd love to see Bruce Spence as the gyrocaptain again - he always seems to do quirky roles. He also played in Finding Nemo and was the Mouth of Sauron in LotR

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 04:23:03 AM

Never have been able to sit thru the first one.  Second is godly.  The third one was pretty cool.  Lots of good lines in it.

I've heard that:

MM=The Fall of Civilization
RW=the pure anarchy
BT=Civilization Rebuilding

I like Tom Hardy, I have faith in this being good.
Well, also, location matters to.  He started out as a cop in what was left of society as it broke down due to gas shortages and economic collapse in the first movie.  This was the remenants of civilization on the coast.  After the first one, he drove straight into the outback were there was no law and order left.  And thats what we see in the next two films.  So its not that everywhere was like that per say, just that he left behind what was left of civilization in the first movie to get away from it all.

Though I think they also retconned things in the other two.  First seemed to just be society as we know it falling apart due to economic collapse.  Next two movies implied there was a nuclear war that wiped out everything instead.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 05:05:34 AM

Got excited when I saw the Interceptor returned

Yeah, i just hope they don't make the blower turn on and off again. Ugh.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 07:16:59 AM

looks pretty stupid

can't these clowns use any imagination? it's all the same vehicles from road warrior, but has more CGI explosions, more flipping, and guys swinging around on long jump poles, 50 feet in the air above speeding vehicles like its cirque du soleil, while shooting fireworks randomly too.

So as noted above, 200$ million for a PG-13 ripoff, for dumb kids who never saw the original, and older suckers who remember them fondly and will be lured back if you slap that name on the title. Hope it (along with tmnt) flops bigtime like Robocop. Unfortunately enough rube foreigners will go see it to at least get a break even.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 08:07:51 AM

TMNT won't flop.  That cunt Bay seems to walk on water.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 01:10:14 PM

I'm intrigued by it, and think it has potential.  I wont go see it opening day, but if reviews and feedback are good, I'll certainly watch in theaters.  It does indeed have an above average chance of being mediocre and/or shit, but the trailer gets the feel right (which gives me hope it could be a worthy Mad Max film).  It really only showed us one small subset of the movie, which was a big car chase.  For all we know, that was just one or two car scenes out of the entire movie, and it didn't show any of the other plot at all which could make it stand out from the others.

Or it could be complete shit that just rips off all the other movies.  Will wait for reviews.

Right now my biggest concern (as a total nerd obviouisly) is that it shows his car crashing and breaking up in the trailer.  From what I've read on this movie, it takes place between the first and second movie.  His car was in much better condition than that at the start of the second film!   Mob

why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:28 PM

I read somewhere that most of the movie is the chase, hence the title Fury Road. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 07:06:50 AM

"Happy Feet" was a fucking brutal movie.

True. It's a rare kids' film that has the main character wimpering in absolute terror while hiding from something that almost ate him.

As for this film, I look forward to seeing if such a long period of time between movies can be overcome.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 07:17:53 AM

Also, he went batshit insane and suicidal due to captivity.

I'm telling you, it was actually brutal.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:29 AM

Well, also, location matters to.  He started out as a cop in what was left of society as it broke down due to gas shortages and economic collapse in the first movie.  This was the remenants of civilization on the coast.  After the first one, he drove straight into the outback were there was no law and order left.  And thats what we see in the next two films.  So its not that everywhere was like that per say, just that he left behind what was left of civilization in the first movie to get away from it all.

Though I think they also retconned things in the other two.  First seemed to just be society as we know it falling apart due to economic collapse.  Next two movies implied there was a nuclear war that wiped out everything instead.

Not sure it was so much retcon as progression. In MM, things were going to shit but not quite there yet. Somewhere between there and RW the balloon had gone up and everybody said, "fuck it, party at ground zero". Max was far enough away from population centers that it didn't matter to him. By Thunderdome, he was dealing in the pick up the pieces stage. The kids in the oasis were just old enough to have been either on a plane that went down after the bombs dropped or born shortly after.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 05:32:33 PM

Thunderdome exists in a universe with Aliens 3 where we saw things that never actually happened.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 02:08:38 PM

Trailer just out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

Charlize + Twisted Metal == Win; return 1.  Hardy and Hoult too.  They cant eff this one up, can they?  Please lords dont mess this up.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 02:21:18 PM

Fuck yeah.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 02:48:47 PM

They really need to create an academy award for best trailers.  I mean, there is a not small possibility this movie will be shit, but I want to see it badly after that.  This has happened to me several times before.

The trailer makers deserve recognition for creating 1 minute tidbits that are often more enjoyable than the 90 minute bullshit they are pushing.

I do like that they seem to be channeling borderlands.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  
Jump to: