Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: DC "Universe" thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DC "Universe" thread.  (Read 42783 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: February 23, 2015, 06:29:27 PM

By that logic the whole country knows who Dr. Fate is now.

Over and out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: February 23, 2015, 10:10:24 PM

no, I'm sure you're right. The people who are exposed to Martian Manhunter on Smallville all knew who he was before then. It isn't like they marketed that show two teen girls who had never read a comic before.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #142 on: February 23, 2015, 11:02:03 PM

no, I'm sure you're right. The people who are exposed to Martian Manhunter on Smallville all knew who he was before then. It isn't like they marketed that show two teen girls who had never read a comic before.

And clearly all their marketing worked, making Smallville a ratings powerhouse at #125 (out of 142 network shows) in Season 6 when the Martian Manhunter showed up.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: February 24, 2015, 03:10:05 AM

Did he appear on Lois and Clark?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:35:27 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: February 24, 2015, 03:12:29 AM

HG Wells did.

Maybe DC should put him in the movie.  They're certainly putting him in The Flash.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: February 24, 2015, 03:13:04 AM

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: February 24, 2015, 07:16:51 AM

The "Star Lord?" guy I know.

Who the hell is Dr. Fate?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: February 24, 2015, 07:23:07 AM

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #148 on: February 24, 2015, 07:39:50 AM

The "Star Lord?" guy I know.

Who the hell is Dr. Fate?

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: February 24, 2015, 08:20:20 AM

Not only is that the joke, the only reason I know Dr Fate is due to The Books of Magic.  Which made him seem really, really awesome.

I had no idea he was actually a JLA type until Smallville.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:23 AM

Dr. Fate was in Brave and Bold?  Shit I need to find that. 

As an aside, my friend knows Spidey, Lord of the Rings, etc. but he had no idea who Ant-Man was.  I'll ask him about Aquaman, but I bet he knows him.

GOTG proved you need no name recognition at all for a success; you do have to have a good movie and marketing though.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: February 24, 2015, 09:18:26 AM

And a raccoon and a tree.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #152 on: February 24, 2015, 10:28:38 AM

GOTG proved you need no name recognition at all for a success; you do have to have a good movie and marketing though.

In other words, then, DC is fucked?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #153 on: February 24, 2015, 10:42:51 AM

DC is fucked and will always be fucked. For one simple reason, the owner of the property neither likes nor understands their property.

"Me am play gods"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: March 06, 2015, 08:20:23 AM

DC is fucked and will always be fucked. For one simple reason, the owner of the property neither likes nor understands their property.
http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-4/warner-bros-ceo-says-dcs-movie-slate-will-be-edgier-marvel

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #155 on: March 06, 2015, 10:28:23 AM

And that is why the DC movies are likely to suck, or at least be weaker movies than the Marvel ones. Because their execs think "EDGIER" is some kind of statement of quality.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: March 06, 2015, 10:31:48 AM

Superman was so much better grimdark .

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: March 06, 2015, 11:05:34 AM

I blame this on Christopher Nolan and the new 52. How can one trilogy kill any hope for DC? Well for the simple fact that Nolan never intended to do Batman. Sure he looks like Batman, has a few Batman characters, but he never wanted to make a movie about Batman. He wanted to make a crime movie substituting maverick FBI agent for the cape crusader. Which isn't a bad thing. Batman is a detective. Batman confronts organized crime and has to deal with murderous psychotics. Batman Begins was a clumsy half attempt at writing batman but it was ultimately forgettable. The Nolan films start with Dark Knight and sadly that's where the poison starts. From than on you must be "dark" and "serious" to be a superhero film or live action. And thats funny since MARVEL disproves that by a large amount. But DC is attempt at being like Marvel looks like...

I like Man of Steel mostly because its a break from the Returns and yeah I want to see Superman punch things. But the tone... everything that isn't superman punching things is flat. They don't want to get writers and I don't think DC has people who can "do" the big powerful superheroes and make us like them the way we do in other mediums. And I place the blame mostly on...

The New 52. The great butcher of DC comics, the wondering eater of all that is half decent and salvageable. When someone decides to write a Iron Man or Thor or Cap story they have a wealth of stories, which is the same for DC except DC put its new shiny abomination upfront. Which is a problem because film writers are lazy. Because film writers are more likely to borrow elements from the most recent story lines, if not straight rip them, than any other group of writers. And Marvel god bless them isolated half their fuck stupid in the Ultimate Universe. Which means while the ultimate universe "can" be considered the more "hip and current and new and what are the kids who buy movie tickets are reading" it doesn't have to taint the entire script because someone can hand the poor monkeys that write scripts something from the main 616 universe that is equally as current and not get something fuck stupid like Amazing Spiderman (which was all Ultimate Universe).

Very important difference. DC on the other hand, just has 52. Only has 52. A lazy writer, with all the studio pressure of telling a relevant story will reach for a new 52 comic and declare himself "caught up". You can see this in there (DC's) animated movies, while being mosttly been mediocre to pointless in the past are now actively sucking in a way only possible if you literally hired monkeys. You want to see what a live action Justice League could possible look like check out this gem.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:09:11 AM by MediumHigh »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: March 10, 2015, 08:47:10 AM

Um, ok.

Sure.

Christopher Nolan.

Right.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #159 on: March 17, 2015, 03:53:32 AM

I still like Red Hood animated movie.  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 17, 2015, 11:16:13 PM

So I'm supposed to want a movie about Bat Mite? I'm confused now.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: April 29, 2015, 07:20:32 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superman-batman-dcs-real-battle-792190

Oh, I am sooo surprised.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Seriously, you don't announce all these movies and shit and get them going without knowing what the fuck is going on.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: April 29, 2015, 07:24:04 PM

LOL on the "Marvel hired untested people like Joss Whedon and James Gunn but we're going with real filmmakers..."  line. That's rich.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: April 29, 2015, 07:38:34 PM

LOL on the "Marvel hired untested people like Joss Whedon and James Gunn but we're going with real filmmakers..."  line. That's rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: June 03, 2015, 04:08:34 PM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: June 03, 2015, 04:19:38 PM

Silverman’s father and brother run L.A.’s BeSpoke Furniture. "My brother made the table out of scripts," he says. "It’s his latest thing."

Well, that's pretty discouraging.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 03, 2015, 05:28:09 PM

WTF does "a movie about superheroes" mean?  Marvel has a huge sign pointing to money that says "Superhero movies."  There is no reason to shoot yourself in the foot just to be different.  My only thought on this is that they know they can't compete with Marvel so they might as well go a different direction.  However, when your show runners and executives don't even seem to like what genre they are mixed up in, you are going to be screwed either way.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #167 on: June 03, 2015, 06:01:20 PM

Grimdark worked for Batman because he was always the most morally sketchy of the Justice League (just like it works for Daredevil in the MCU). But grimdark Superman is stupid as hell, and grimdark Aquaman is just fucking goofy.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #168 on: June 03, 2015, 06:29:05 PM

Peter David's long run on Aquaman could be pretty grimdark at times and is considered by many to be the best run of Aquaman. Also Batman tends to have a pretty strong moral code. Wonder Woman is much more likely to intentionally kill somebody for instance. Batman just has the darker backstory.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 03, 2015, 06:33:20 PM

Peter David's long run on Aquaman could be pretty grimdark at times and is considered by many to be the best run of Aquaman. Also Batman tends to have a pretty strong moral code. Wonder Woman is much more likely to intentionally kill somebody for instance. Batman just has the darker backstory.

And all the Bat-fuck insane villains.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: June 03, 2015, 06:59:20 PM

Grimdark Superman is fucking insane. Unless you want to do an alternate timeline I guess, a Red Son movie could be pretty cool.

Aquaman can work, there's definitely form there in the storylines, I don't think Wonderwoman really works as Grimdark though. She has moral conflicts but it's less about 'should I kill this man?' and more the conflict between her Greek/warrior culture values and modern society, imo.

Batman works very well thematically with it but even Nolan had him sticking to his moral code regarding killing and despite the tone of the movies they maintained that basic message. I'd argue in terms of morality, with the current set up, Batman is shaping up to be the moral compass of the JL and Superman is the pragmatic 'what must be done' guy. Which is thematically... odd.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #171 on: June 03, 2015, 07:47:05 PM

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: June 06, 2015, 12:20:47 AM

99% of people think of Aquaman as a fruity guy who talks to a Beluga Whale. I really have trouble seeing it work as grimdark.

The thing about DC is that even though they've been on the grimdark path for decades now the general public still mostly sees their heroes as the goofy-as-fuck versions. Aquaman rides around on a whale, Green Lantern forms a giant ping-pong paddle to smack a boxing-glove-shaped missile back at someone, Wonder Woman rides around in an invisible plane and transforms into WW from her alter-ego by spinning in place....

I think the Marvel movies could be a bit more serious - I don't mean grim and dark but maybe not have every character have superhuman quipping ability as an unofficial superpower and have the movies be about something other than punching robots. But I'd be shocked if DC/Warner can pull that off. I expect the movies to be even more superficial and about even less than the Marvel films.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: June 06, 2015, 07:25:38 PM

99% of people don't think of Aquaman at all. I don't know why this isn't getting through to people here except that we all have a bad tendency to think we're "people". If you think of Aquaman as a guy who rides a seahorse and is kind of fruity and says, "With my telepathic powers, I summon the creatures of the deep!", you are 45-60 years old and watched a lot of cartoons. And you probably don't have altogether bad feelings about those cartoons (Aquaman solo and in the Super Friends). If you're younger and Aquaman means something to you, it's because of camp treatments of that version or maybe because you saw the Dini DC cartoons or Batman Brave and the Bold, which is a pretty small number of people.

Besides Superman and Batman, all of these characters are totally plastic as far as the larger audience is concerned. They can be played any which way a studio likes--grimdark, silly, fun-adventurous--and as long as it's done well, the vast majority of the potential audience will be happy. If the small subset of people who have strong views about these characters doesn't like it, they can go home and sit in a dark corner, it won't matter. It's only when the audience is kind of 'meh' about something that the complaints of people who really know the characters starts to reverberate and take hold among a larger audience.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: June 06, 2015, 07:44:30 PM

So you think 1 in 100 in the US have an idea who Aquaman is?  Or is that supposed to be 1% of the world population?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: DC "Universe" thread.  
Jump to: