Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:10:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ant-man 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ant-man  (Read 45554 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: June 08, 2014, 05:53:25 PM

I figure it is time this movie had a separate thread.

We have a new director (Peyton Reed) - and one more rewrite underway (by Adam McKay).  I'm not too experienced with either guy's work.  It sounds like they had their work cut out for them - especially with the limited time frame until film release. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:34:18 PM

So, given the guy doing the script re-write, I am assuming this will end up being a fairly comedic oriented heist caper with a super-powers twist, instead of the somewhat serious heist caper the original one was supposed to be?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:52:03 PM

So, given the guy doing the script re-write, I am assuming this will end up being a fairly comedic oriented heist caper with a super-powers twist, instead of the somewhat serious heist caper the original one was supposed to be?
This has been described as a comedic script from the start - specifically, Wright called it an adventure story with comedic elements back at SD Comic Con in 2006.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:14:56 AM

Well, to be fair you could also describe Oceans Eleven as a "Comic Heist Movie", but since it was more serious then comic in focus, while still having plenty of comedy in it, I wouldnt go that far.

I am getting the vibe that this was supposed to be something like Oceans, but with the super-powers angle.   The new script writer makes me think they are going to lean too far towards the comedy angle, and not in a good way (like Pink Panther comedy caperish).   I am expecting this to be Stupid Funny, not Smart Funny, but time will tell.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:28:51 AM

I am expecting this to be Stupid Funny, not Smart Funny...

So in other news Ryan Renoylds cast as Ant-Man?  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:33:51 AM

Oh God, Green Lantern was awful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:37:45 AM

Wasn't his fault though.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:40:38 AM

Reynolds is typecast in my mind as the smarmy douchebag college acquaintance. I just can't look at that actor with any other lens.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:30:09 AM

There is a lot about this movie that I think is a mistake - primarily casting a 70 year old as Hank Pym.  You're effectively limiting this character that is the center of a lot of Marvel history.  Yes, they can work around it, but it will always bug me that Ultron is not Pym's work, that Pym is not a peer of Stark, etc...

However, I am not worried about the direction they're heading with regards to the comic angle.  I trust both Wright's original instincts, and I trust that the revisions Feige and crew are requiring are aimed at making it fit within the MCU.  At this point, I have lower expectations for this film than I have had for any other Marvel film, but I still expect it to fit in the MCU - and that means not being silly.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 11:11:31 AM

Paul Rudd has had a hand in the rewrite of Ant-man it seems - which is something I like hearing.  Rudd is one of those actors that does best when he personalizes his material... and I like the interest in making this work long term.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69166

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 11:53:58 AM

Reynolds is typecast in my mind as the smarmy douchebag college acquaintance. I just can't look at that actor with any other lens.

That typecasting will make for a perfect Deadpool

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 06:57:47 PM

Iron Man is also a comedic adventure. I'm not expecting this to be any funnier than iron man.

Hudson Hawk with the second half replaced by heist themed explosions.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 06:04:20 PM

Iron Man is also a comedic adventure. I'm not expecting this to be any funnier than iron man.

Hudson Hawk with the second half replaced by heist themed explosions.
That was what we were hearing about the script before the rewrites.   I think one of the major goals of the rewrites was to make it 'more Marvel' with bigger action - at least that is what I get from reading between the lnes on interviews.  We'll see what we get.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 11:38:48 PM

Paul Rudd can do a lot with what on paper is a bland script, I doubt this will be less funny than iron man.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 12:04:25 AM

If only Edgar Wright had made Ant-Man in tone like Hot Fuzz.   awesome, for real
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 12:26:17 AM

I don't see them trying anything that ambitious with these films for the foreseeable future.

The furthest they'll go is a CA2 'felt a bit different for the first 30 minutes but actually exactly the same formula as the others' model.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 06:51:19 AM

GOTG was a huge risk from a character standpoint, antman should be more in line with iron man with a bit more of a lean to comedy.  The next big risk will be Dr Strange with the introduction of magic.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 04:00:27 PM

All I know is that I don't know enough.  There are enough warning signs to say this could be a disaster, and there are enough positive signs to say it could be excellent. 

In the end, I'm looking at Marvel's record so far and choosing to believe that this is going to be a film I enjoy, even if it is unlikely to be my favorite Marvel film.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 07:36:25 PM

I think is can be assumed that there is enough testing with marvel pre-release to know if the movie is good or not.  In fact it was a not so secret that there would be a GOTG2 already planned based on initial impressions before release.

So I think the real question is, would they flat out cancel a stinker rather than let it hurt the brand?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 06:18:55 AM

I think that at this point, if it was clearly and truly awful, then yes they would kill it and just absorb that hit.

They're developing the kind of brand recognition usually reserved for like, Pixar.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 01:14:22 PM

Well Adam McKay is being courted to direct a Marvel movie again.  He's the one that was originally replacing Wright but had to back out due to other commitments.  He's alsonthe one that rewrote the script with Paul Rudd.  With that in mind it should give some hope for Ant-Man.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 08:22:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8

First real trailer is up.  Actually looks pretty good to me so far. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 11:15:14 PM

I had the entirely opposite reaction as you. Very dubious so far.

beer geek.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 11:27:54 PM

I had the entirely opposite reaction as you. Very dubious so far.

Same here.  I think the super hero fatigue is setting in because while I'm sure it will be a fun movie I just don't see what an ant man story can bring to the table that we haven't already seen.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 01:36:18 AM

Not looking like a good movie. I got the impression it's going to be as good as the Green Lantern was.   

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 01:45:36 AM

Hard to tell one way or the other from this trailer. Rudd gets about a line and a half of dialogue. One shot of him shrinking and a couple shots of a flying ant. Everything else in the trailer could have been taken from just about any other movie. Maybe the special effects still need a lot of work, but in that case it might have been better not to put out a trailer yet, let alone hype it up twice with the 8 second teaser.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 03:28:08 AM

Rudd looks drugged the entire time.  Lily Evangaline Fail.  Which I didn't think possible.

We'll see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 03:53:17 AM

Not quite the home run the GOTG trailer was.  Guess I'm middle of the road.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 04:09:17 AM

I was expecting it to be more overtly comedic rather than serious with quips.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 08:30:09 AM

I think the trailer is setting you up as a fake out. All serious serious serious... then "HUH?" Next trailer will likely be a bit more fun. I thought it looked good though. I especially like the costume.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 10:52:37 AM

It's gotta get a few points for taking the piss out of its own name.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 10:56:27 AM

I'm pretty happy Michael Douglas is doing his one-octave higher than normal Liberace voice.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 11:33:52 AM

I'm optimistic. I was surprised to see how in-shape Rudd was in that one shot, geez. Michael Douglas looks great with a beard. The effects seem like they'll be interesting, but we'll see how it plays out -- I don't expect it to be *bad*.

I think it's going to be funnier than it is letting on. Which, really, in today's movie climate, I don't think you could make a superhero movie where the character's weakness is a predilection for spousal abuse. I wonder if they'll even work that in.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 04:16:44 PM

Well, since Corey Stoll is going to be Yellowjacket, I'm pretty sure Ant-Man won't be smacking his bitch up. Hank Pym was the wife-beater as Yellowjacket, not Scott Lang.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 04:48:52 PM

I wasn't blown away by the trailer but considering my interest in the film took a severe tumble the moment Edgar Wright left, it was better than I'd expected. It mostly reminded me of the current Flash TV series with a better FX budget, though. Let's hope they skimp on the melodrama.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ant-man  
Jump to: