Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:58:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ant-man 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ant-man  (Read 45553 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 04:49:09 PM

Well, since Corey Stoll is going to be Yellowjacket, I'm pretty sure Ant-Man won't be smacking his bitch up. Hank Pym was the wife-beater as Yellowjacket, not Scott Lang.
I'm betting the spousal abuse does make it on screen as something he did wrong in the past.  I just get that vibe from what I've seen and heard, although there has been no direct reference to it as far as I know...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:31:23 AM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 06:31:39 PM

The costume looks good, that's about it.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 10:59:02 AM

I fully expect Douglas's Pym to have the past spousal abuse. They're going to make Lang morally unassailable to fit in with the current MCU climate -- the man who breaks the law for the right reasons. I imagine he'll be in Avengers 3 or tied into some other property where there won't be any teamwork friction because of some moral fault.

Hell even Tony Stark's moral failings seem less to do with lashing out and more to do with withdrawing into self. On second thought, I feel like I have a weak argument here.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 12:13:50 PM

Hell even Tony Stark's moral failings seem less to do with lashing out and more to do with withdrawing into self. On second thought, I feel like I have a weak argument here.

Makes sense to me. I think they've let us accept and understand their failings because we can see ourselves in them, rather than just because they're evil. Tony drinks to deal with his issues, and even though drinking makes him kind of an asshole, he's not 100% a dick. (Although I got tired of drunk Tony around the middle of IM2 and was ready for sober Tony to happen. I think they've made it clear they're not going to follow up on that, though....)

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 12:18:20 PM

It really grates me when people talk about Pym. His moral failing is going crazy. This is the same guy who had a split personality (YellowJacket) kill himself (Giant Man) because he was jealous of himself.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 12:35:05 PM

It really grates me when people talk about Pym. His moral failing is going crazy. This is the same guy who had a split personality (YellowJacket) kill himself (Giant Man) because he was jealous of himself.
I think it is safe to say that the killing of himself will not make it into the MCU, although they did come close to it on the animated Avengers show. 

However, I would no be shocked if Pym turns out to be a villain in this movie...

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 11:22:57 PM

I think it is safe to say that the killing of himself will not make it into the MCU, although they did come close to it on the animated Avengers show. 

However, I would no be shocked if Pym turns out to be a villain in this movie...

Yeah, that wasn't my point. If people want to talk about Pym's "dark side" they should talk about how he's nuts, and how his supposed friends stood by and did nothing to help him.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 09, 2015, 05:28:52 AM

Some new images released. I'm liking this one:

Paul Rudd's serious expression offset by the fact his costume is hanging on a wire hanger over a bath tub.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 07:51:22 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:51 AM

Thomas the Tank Engine moment is pretty golden.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: April 13, 2015, 09:22:34 AM

Yeah, that and the Yellowjacket costume were pretty awesome. MUCH better trailer.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 09:37:43 AM

Agreed, this has been upgraded from I'll watch when it hits cable to I might pay to watch this on-demand.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 13, 2015, 02:16:10 PM

The Ant Man costume is the best once since the main armor in Iron Man 1.  Looking forward to this.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 25, 2015, 06:51:26 AM

So, three weeks until release and the marketing machine is picking up.  My son picked up a kids magazine with an article about it which has got him excited. What I noticed was

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 25, 2015, 10:25:16 AM

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 02:02:07 PM

I'm betting they do it in the final act of this movie as a 'surprise' that wins the day for the heroes.

I'm still waiting for Marvel to reveal that Pym Particle growth is actually the entire universe (except the target) shrinking.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 07:09:03 PM

I really wonder how this will do. I think A2 took a little bit of the luster off of these Marvel films and in commercials this look pretty bad to me.

I'm not saying it will bomb - Marvel movies aren't bombing, period. But it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being one of the worst-performing ones.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 07:37:13 PM

I think it will at least do Thor and Capt. America levels.  It's not gonna be Guardians, that's for sure.  I think, if the movie is good, word of mouth will be it's biggest ally.  That said, I'll be seeing it.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 09:40:25 PM

I'm guessing critically it will be a shit show, but it will still make fuck loads of money then be overshadowed by whatever is next in line and we'll all forget about it like Thor 2.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #54 on: June 25, 2015, 11:47:10 PM

There's not a lot of competition around its release. You've got Terminator a couple weeks earlier, and Mission Impossible a couple weeks later. It opens alongside Trainwreck which could do ok, and a week after Minions which will be big, but neither target the same audience. Pixels will probably tank the week after.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 26, 2015, 11:55:53 AM

If they can pull off a super hero movie with a tree and a talking raccoon as two of the main breakout stars I will give antman a chance.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 26, 2015, 12:25:25 PM

My only hope for antman is that it's a LOT stronger on comedy than they are letting out in the trailers.  If this tries to be a serious movie, it's gonna suck teeny tiny ant balls.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 12:57:46 PM

If they can pull off a super hero movie with a tree and a talking raccoon as two of the main breakout stars I will give antman a chance.

The main difference there is those two are actually likeable.

Maybe this is a sleeper hit, but I don't feel it. Like with GotG, people were all 'what is this shit?' when they heard about it, but after that first trailer pretty much everyone was buying what they were selling. With Antman, I don't feel or see any of that anticipation that other Marvel Movies brought.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 26, 2015, 04:07:47 PM

Word is that there are 2 end credit scenes for Ant-Man, so don't leave early. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #59 on: June 26, 2015, 05:15:40 PM

My only hope for antman is that it's a LOT stronger on comedy than they are letting out in the trailers.  If this tries to be a serious movie, it's gonna suck teeny tiny ant balls.

Which trailers? There's been plenty of comedy in the latest ones and the 'preview' that's being shown before Jurassic Park. It's just not really good comedy.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 27, 2015, 10:51:05 AM

The Thomas scene was a nice little bit of comedy but... yeah the rest has felt more heh jokes rather than actual laughter. It looks like it'll probably be worth a watch on streaming. I'll probably try to see it in cinemas since it costs literally peanuts where I live and I'm unimaginative about my free time.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 27, 2015, 01:46:56 PM

There have been a few comedic sequences shown in the trailers.  It looks like the kind of stuff I'd expect to see Paul Rudd do.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #62 on: June 27, 2015, 05:21:36 PM

To further define what I was talking about, here's the awful jokes I can remember:

* Trope joke of "show me how to punch" and woman actually punches him instead of his hand. Oh those minxy, unpredictable women!  Ohhhhh, I see.
* "I want to to break in to someplace and steal some stuff" line. Maybe it's just that it's been overplayed but it's "heh" not "AND THAT GUY'S ARM!" laughs.
* Predictable joke as buddy is driving him out of jail where buddy has lost woman, home and parents but, "Hey at least I've got my van!"
* Predictable joke from buddy, "Nothing freaks me out" - proceeds to freak out when Ant-Man is on his shoulder.
* lame "don't drop me" joke as he's riding ants.

Compared to some of Rocket's stuff in GoG and early Marvel it's terribly stale and low-quality. It's not enticing me to go see it, and I'll give it a go miss until/ unless I hear it was amazing.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 27, 2015, 07:19:38 PM

...Are you seriously judging the humor content of an entire feature film from the impressionistic shit they can fit into a trailer?

And aggressively defending said judgment?

I have no idea whether this film is funny. I can tell they want me to think it has a lighter or more humorous touch, that's all.

How many of the great funny touches in Guardians of the Galaxy could have been compressed into a trailer? How many would you want to have had compressed into a trailer?

What the fuck is wrong with people, seriously? Trailers are trailers.  They're good sometimes, bad sometimes, and the good and bad are only sometimes related to the actual content of the actual film. Making judgments about trailers is making judgments about fucking advertisements. It's like deciding how the beer tastes based on whether you like the ad for it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #64 on: June 27, 2015, 07:31:25 PM

They're bad jokes. I was listing the bad jokes and I was expanding on an earlier post out of Saturday night boredom. Nobody's aggressively doing anything here except you.

Psycho.  why so serious?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 27, 2015, 09:55:54 PM

It is entirely appropriate to be small minded about this movie.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 27, 2015, 10:40:47 PM

GoG looked amusing. This does not. I don't get "Marvel even made a raccoon and tree man movie do well." A talking raccoon and tree hint at a wacky, interesting movie.

It's true that these are only trailers, but the point of the trailer is to sell people on the movie. And it's much more common for the trailer to be better than the movie than the reverse. People don't really seem excited for this - in the grand scheme of Marvel things it doesn't seem important - it's not about Thanos or Loki or other big stuff. (A problem these movies are starting to have is that the ones about the throw-away villains feel like throw-away movies - Ultron just treading water, for example) But it also doesn't look particularly interesting as a movie standing alone.

One thing I noticed with Ultron, and also with Ant-Man, is that a lot of the praise is less about the movie itself and more how it fits into Marvel stuff. A lot of the early word about Ant-Man is focused on cameos and post-credit scenes and such - it seems like a problem to me when the best part of the movie is the part that teases a different, better movie. Similarly a lot of critics who praised (or excused) Ultron thought a strong point was that it set up a lot of future movies.

With a movie like Guardians the advance word was "I had fun at this movie", whereas with Ant-Man the advance word is more "I had fun imagining implied future movies."

Who knows. Maybe it will be excellent.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #67 on: June 28, 2015, 12:24:03 AM

I don't think there was any real early praise about how Ant Man fit into the MCU. That's partly why they had to recently put out posters referencing various Avengers. The early marketing did nothing to show it as being part of the Marvel films.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 29, 2015, 08:24:04 PM

the 2 post credits scenes have leaked. a little Google work will help you find them. Nothing too exciting, but they are spoiler is ...

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 11:08:29 AM

Imho marvel need more films that are not about Thanos or Loki.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ant-man  
Jump to: