Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth  (Read 48540 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #70 on: October 17, 2014, 11:40:33 AM

There are a ton of detailed preview videos out there for this that they've done; I think it looks like it is going to be fantastic.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #71 on: October 17, 2014, 12:49:58 PM

I certainly hope you are less than wrong.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:58 PM

There are a ton of detailed preview videos out there for this that they've done; I think it looks like it is going to be fantastic.

Might be. But past XP with this game maker leads me to believe I should wait until the first major patch (not just minor patches) before it is a polished worthy game play experience.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #73 on: October 18, 2014, 08:52:27 AM

Granted, Civ V wasn't that great upon release, but XCom: Enemy Unkown was awesome as soon as it came out and it is the more recent example.  Firaxis is capable of creating good games that don't need patches to make them good.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #74 on: October 19, 2014, 11:10:20 PM

Ingmar and me seem to be polar opposites in regard to game taste, so consequently I hope he will hate it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Impression from someone who had their hands on it: "better civ game, recommended, civ fans should get addicted."

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 20, 2014, 09:07:30 AM

Does anyone here remember Civilization: Test of Time?  It was basically a bunch of Civ 2 mods that were packaged together and sold at retail.  The future themed one was actually really fantastic, and my favorite incarnation of Civilization to date.  Beyond Earth has me hoping I'll hit that high again.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #76 on: October 20, 2014, 12:10:28 PM

Ingmar and me seem to be polar opposites in regard to game taste, so consequently I hope he will hate it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Impression from someone who had their hands on it: "better civ game, recommended, civ fans should get addicted."

You're never going to forgive me for hating Witcher 2, are you?  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 20, 2014, 12:34:58 PM

I'm excited about this, but don't want to get burned on another pre-order.

Those of you feeling more adventurous, do post impressions when you get a chance.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 20, 2014, 12:45:27 PM

I'm kind of torn.

I've pre-ordered every Civ title after the first one.

And for 3, 4 and 5 I've played it a couple hours and shelved it until the second expansion completes it.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 12:48:55 PM

Was all excited to play this after midnight tonight, but it doesn't release until Thursday.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:45 PM

Am I petty for caring that this game isn't as pretty as Civ 5?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 20, 2014, 05:50:24 PM

I've been playing FFH2 again and thinking the same thing.

I get over it quickly, of course.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 20, 2014, 08:28:53 PM

Was all excited to play this after midnight tonight, but it doesn't release until Thursday.

Steam says Oct 24th, which is Friday.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #83 on: October 21, 2014, 07:41:10 AM

It depends where you live. Apparently it unlocks at the same time everwhere, which makes it early Friday morning in Australia and parts of Asia, late Thursday evening on the west coast of U.S. and anything in-between for the people in-between.

detailed map for the in-betweens.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 21, 2014, 07:47:00 AM

So west coast gets to play Thursday night, east coast sucks it. Nice.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 21, 2014, 02:49:44 PM

Da Fuq!?
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #86 on: October 21, 2014, 03:09:28 PM

It depends where you live. Apparently it unlocks at the same time everwhere, which makes it early Friday morning in Australia and parts of Asia, late Thursday evening on the west coast of U.S. and anything in-between for the people in-between.

detailed map for the in-betweens.

That map has unexpected production values.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 21, 2014, 03:42:31 PM

Da Fuq!?

If it makes you feel better, East Coast and West Coast will be be able to play at same MOMENT, just the time shown on the c'clock will be different, due to time zones.

Funny thing is an east coaster will be able to play on the 23rd at 9 pm, while I have to wait until the 24th 1 am, when in actuality I will be launching the game 5 hours earlier!  headache

In conclusion, regional differentiations feel outdated. Releases should be simultaneous world wide nowadays. We are living in the future, basically!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #88 on: October 21, 2014, 04:51:38 PM

I keep getting tempted by the idea of this game, but think I need to dig out my AC disks instead.  Nothing's going to match Nerve Stapling your Fascist faction to quell rebellion while you churn out another 4 mindworms to slaughter the naive Gaian forces.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:19 PM

They tryin to TAKE MAH JERB
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 21, 2014, 11:28:45 PM

The one thing that will make me buy this is if any reviews say "the AI is much better".

An almost impossible task, but still.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 22, 2014, 12:33:18 AM

Btw, probably known already from the prio Civ iterations: http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civbe_overview.html

It's pretty nice if you want to read up on what affinities do, virtues, how the tech tree looks, etc etc...

Edit: An "Oh my!" at this victory condition:

Emancipation (Supremacy): annihilate humanity on Earth. Er, I mean, "free" them from their biological bodies.

• Research Orbital Networks and build a Lasercom Satellite to reestablish communication with Earth.
  • Achieve Supremacy level 13 and build the Emancipation Gate planetary wonder.
  • Send military units through the gate to effect the mass genocide of humanity on Earth. Er, I mean, "liberate" them from their trifling, unenlightened existence.
  • Go directly to Hell. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

ACK!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:57:59 AM by calapine »

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #92 on: October 22, 2014, 02:48:30 AM

Well, now I know what my first game will be...
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #93 on: October 22, 2014, 03:33:11 AM

Caved and pre-ordered. GMG has it for 25% off right now.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: October 22, 2014, 06:31:53 AM

Not for me, just looked.  sad Also I am pretty sure you Americunts (I mean that in a nice way!) pay less than whatever is the currency exchange for € 49.99. *grumble grumble*  Mob Mob

Edit: I take everything back. Going on greenmangaming shows me the normal price, with no hint of a discount. But using This Link (found via googling) redirects to GMG with the game 25% off.

Proof:

Bought as well. Thank you Velorath for the tip.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:51:44 AM by calapine »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #95 on: October 22, 2014, 07:05:00 AM

The 6 free gifts are 6 custom maps?  Oh, marketing. why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 22, 2014, 07:28:11 AM

I am so weak...

See you all Thursday!

(Thanks for the deal calapine)

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 22, 2014, 07:41:30 AM

If it makes you feel better, East Coast and West Coast will be be able to play at same MOMENT, just the time shown on the c'clock will be different, due to time zones.

Funny thing is an east coaster will be able to play on the 23rd at 9 pm, while I have to wait until the 24th 1 am, when in actuality I will be launching the game 5 hours earlier!  headache

In conclusion, regional differentiations feel outdated. Releases should be simultaneous world wide nowadays. We are living in the future, basically!

Heart Heart Heart  thanks, wouldn't have known this without you!
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:37 AM

I keep getting tempted by the idea of this game, but think I need to dig out my AC disks instead.  Nothing's going to match Nerve Stapling your Fascist faction to quell rebellion while you churn out another 4 mindworms to slaughter the naive Gaian forces.

I loved the nerve stapling guy. Okay bitchy workers get back to your jobs or I will "fix" this problem once and for all!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 22, 2014, 11:09:04 AM

No one posted the intro cinematic yet?

It's vurrry good: Civilization: Beyond Earth – Opening Cinematic   Heart

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 22, 2014, 06:02:00 PM

Why did they just leave the settlers in their dirty earth clothes? Seems like some swanky spacesuits would have been in order.

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 22, 2014, 06:04:04 PM

Why did they just leave the settlers in their dirty earth clothes? Seems like some swanky spacesuits would have been in order.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.  They are going to be in stasis for a while, I can't imagine those nasty cloths they happen to be wearing the day they got on the ship are going get the job done.
schild
Administrator

Reply #102 on: October 22, 2014, 07:02:32 PM

The GMG sale almost had me, but I can't bring myself to give Sid Meier even 25% off retail. Will buy @ $25 or less for the bundled edition.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 22, 2014, 07:41:28 PM

Not for me, just looked.  sad Also I am pretty sure you Americunts (I mean that in a nice way!) pay less than whatever is the currency exchange for € 49.99. *grumble grumble*  Mob Mob

Edit: I take everything back. Going on greenmangaming shows me the normal price, with no hint of a discount. But using This Link (found via googling) redirects to GMG with the game 25% off.

Bought as well. Thank you Velorath for the tip.

I wanted to do this when it showed the game as $37 instead of $89.99 - yes, that is what they are trying to charge Australians - but it went and turned in to $63 when put in to the cart. Evil bastards.

Edit: Did find the other one worked though. $41 got me over the line here...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:48:45 PM by lamaros »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #104 on: October 23, 2014, 06:12:40 AM

GMG apparently doesn't want my money, as it refuses my Visa Credit Card, Mastercard Debit card, and even pay pal account, since it can't groke my ip is in Poland and my cards are all US.  I even tried on my work PC which is VPN'ed back to the US as a washington IP, still no go.

Guess they really don't want my money.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth  
Jump to: