Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth  (Read 49047 times)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 08:47:27 AM

I'm quite optimistic, this is Firaxis. They will have to let me down quite a bit after the turn-around on Civ5 and the marvelous Xcom-Remake before I don't trust them on a new game release.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 03:58:35 PM

"Man has to leave a destroyed Earth to find a new home".  How is that in any way different from AC?  We're not dystopian!  Give me a break.  It's impossible to not compare it to AC.  I dislike being pessimistic upfront, but this project leaves me cold.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if it isn't generic and lacking.  The only way this is different from AC is tone.

Based on them starting with, "we aren't really AC", I was hoping for something grander.  Like a economically, culturally and militarily battle for a solar system.  You faction starts with certain tech, on a certain rock and you ramp up and compete from there.  I was hoping for something more than revisiting the, "start from scratch cause you left Earth in a hurry" scenario.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 06:07:54 AM

Seems like they are doing Civ but without real world 'lore'.

Which doesn't seem like a great idea, but you never know I guess.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:53 AM

I think the execution of the game will be fine. It will be a playable, semi-enjoyable empire game.

But it could be great, and they seem intent on making something fairly bland and user-directed.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:48 AM

This thread is a fantastic example of how acronyms can be confusing.  Despite a love of Civlization and Colonization, I somehow missed the boat on Alpha Centauri.  So every time I read "AC" in this thread, my brain translates it into Assassin's Creed.

e: I'm sort of looking forward to this, btw.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 07:52:04 AM

This thread is a fantastic example of how acronyms can be confusing.  Despite a love of Civlization and Colonization, I somehow missed the boat on Alpha Centauri.  So every time I read "AC" in this thread, my brain translates it into Assassin's Creed.
I'm glad it's not just me that's doing that.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 08:11:32 AM

Well, to be honest, the first 4 posts did flat out say Alpha Centauri. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 10:03:02 AM

Asheron's Call was nothing like Civ.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 10:25:02 AM

Asheron's Call is another AC game I didn't play. Ohhhhh, I see.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:01 AM

I was in the beta but I have taken this fact off my resume.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 04:08:34 PM

Is it wrong that I'd prefer an official Fall From Heaven type thing over this?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 04:15:22 PM

Considering where that guy ended up and what resulted? Yes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 01:16:30 AM

Or a new Colonization. That'd be cool.

You could even apply a licence to it, CivotR, or SWCiv. I just think the game benefits a lot from referencing established stories.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 10:43:52 PM

So this is coming out soon and it still seems like it probably won't be great. Anyone found any evidence to indicate otherwise?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 03:15:38 AM

As near as I can tell, consensus seems to be: wait until two expansions, then buy it, much like Civ 5.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 14, 2014, 05:44:52 AM

A friend of mine played it a bunch at Firaxicon and he said it is pretty solid. He is insanely into the Civ series though, so he is probably biased.  My plan is to get it on steam sale at some point.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 06:07:31 AM

Anyone who went to Firaxicon is as a reliable reviewer as folks who go to Blizzcon.

I'm interested because I love 4x games, but I'm waiting this out.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 06:11:24 AM

I have it prepurchased and will be losing sleep at the end of this month.

Pretty sure I fall in the CivLife category though.  It's likely my most played game series of all time.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #53 on: October 14, 2014, 06:27:56 AM

Ditto, but I don't see enough different from Civ5 to justify the purchase.  Hell, even on the CivFanatics forums they appear to be making 1:1 comparisons to a lot of Civ5 stuff because it's the same engine.  Seems like BE is just a mod.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #54 on: October 14, 2014, 09:04:10 AM

Being a mod isn't a bad thing (cough obvious reference cough). But it has to be an interesting use of the tools, pushing the engine to be better and adding in diverse content. That's been Firaxis' traditional weak point, as evidenced by most Civ titles requiring two expansions to be good and the Civ 4 'mods' like Colonization.

I keep hoping that they learned something from the development of X-Com.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #55 on: October 14, 2014, 09:18:45 AM

Being a mod isn't a bad thing, no.

Expecting me to pay $60 for a mod IS.

WayAbvPar

Reply #56 on: October 14, 2014, 11:03:19 AM

Luckily I have way too much shit to play to even contemplate buying this at release. I will wait at least until the holidays, and more likely for the first expansion.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 11:53:41 AM

Being a mod isn't a bad thing, no.

Expecting me to pay $60 for a mod IS.
http://kael.civfanatics.net/

I know I go on about it, but if you haven't dug into it, you really should give it a shot. Also, free.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 14, 2014, 12:48:10 PM

except the 9.99 for Beyond the Sword?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #59 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:00 PM

You could even apply a licence to it, CivotR, or SWCiv. I just think the game benefits a lot from referencing established stories.

We had a new Colonization (it was based on the Civ IV engine) and it sucked.   Heartbreak

I expect this to be decent (ie., not a catastrophe), but underwhelming. From the details out so far it seems to be light on game-play complexity. Nothing for the old-skool Alpha Centrauri crowd.  wink

The playable "nations" and leaders look very generic and uninspiring. Which is not a dealbreaker for a 4x game, but a missed opportunity none the less. Compare that to AC Miriam Godwinson or Pravin Lal.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:40:15 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 14, 2014, 04:38:25 PM

"We were really inspired by Alpha Centauri, so we decided to make a game that is nothing like it apart from copying the thematic background, because we feel that gamers are too stupid to like things because they actually know what they like, and will just enjoy this because we've told them it is what they will like."

It might still be an ok game, but I'm not getting the good feeling.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #61 on: October 14, 2014, 04:42:23 PM

"We were really inspired by Alpha Centauri, so we decided to make a game that is nothing like it apart from copying the thematic background, because we feel that gamers are too stupid to like things because they actually know what they like, and will just enjoy this because we've told them it is what they will like."

I think they are just saying that because AC has such a special reputation among Civ fans. They sort of have to.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 05:02:08 PM

No they don't. No one young enough to not have played AC cares, and those who have played AC and loved it won't be fooled. Lip-service isn't going to sell games.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #63 on: October 15, 2014, 03:04:33 PM

We had a new Colonization (it was based on the Civ IV engine) and it sucked.   Heartbreak

I expect this to be decent (ie., not a catastrophe), but underwhelming. From the details out so far it seems to be light on game-play complexity. Nothing for the old-skool Alpha Centrauri crowd.  wink

The playable "nations" and leaders look very generic and uninspiring. Which is not a dealbreaker for a 4x game, but a missed opportunity none the less. Compare that to AC Miriam Godwinson or Pravin Lal.
What exactly is every bodies gripe with the colonization mod/expansion?  It plays exactly like the original, but with civ 4 graphics.  Which, if that's the complaint (that they didn't make a more in depth version with new stuff), then sure.  It's just that I only ever here people complain about not liking it without specifics.

As far as this game goes..... Looks promising, I'll see how word of mouth reviews look after release.  Firaxis is pretty good at mod support, right?  Perhaps this is a good opportunity for a FFH level Alpha Centuries mod.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 15, 2014, 03:30:36 PM

But it worked out so well for that last Master of Orion!

Over and out.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 16, 2014, 09:46:29 AM

cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 16, 2014, 10:17:15 AM

But it worked out so well for that last Master of Orion!

Jesus, trigger warning that shit. 

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 16, 2014, 03:55:19 PM

Also pre-ordered it.  Will report back to the hive as soon as I know anything.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 16, 2014, 05:22:41 PM

except the 9.99 for Beyond the Sword?

and nevermind cause  for some reason I have a copy in my steam library. woot.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 16, 2014, 07:52:28 PM

muhahah
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth  
Jump to: