Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:31:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth  (Read 49001 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

on: April 12, 2014, 10:55:21 AM

So, this just got announced.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtYWqE55s24

Screenshots Spoilered because they are big.

The screenshots look a lot like Civ V, but there isn't any indication what the game is going to play like.  A lot of people seem to be hoping for Alpha Centauri redux.

In any event, I'm interested.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:09:29 AM

Put me in the Alpha Centauri 2.0 hopefuls.

I have seriously good memories of that game, and still fire it up every once in awhile.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:29:43 AM

I just got Alpha Centauri wood.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:40:41 AM

I always liked Alpha Centauri alot more than the (other) Civilization games so here's hoping to an AC sequel  Thumbs up!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 11:42:16 AM

I hope it's something new and unique, don't like this perpetual riding on past glories.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 11:53:50 AM

It's a Civilization game. That's not possible by definition.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 12:02:43 PM

I don't think Sid Meier is capable of recreating Alpha Centauri this many years later. I expect a Civ 5 reskin, like the crappy Anno reskin - but I'd love to be surprised since I haven't really enjoyed CIV since 3 and loved AC.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 12:37:32 PM

Oh hell yes. I've got almost 900 hours played on Civ V and I need MOAR.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 01:42:18 PM

I... look forward to this, despite prefering Civ IV to V.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 02:33:28 PM

I've learned my lesson. I'll buy it once I see the reviews. Certainly not on release day.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 02:41:09 PM

If they let me design my own prototype units I'm in.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 03:41:33 PM

If they let me design my own prototype units I'm in.

It's branded Civs, so I don't expect this.  Promotions, sure, but not wholesale customization.

I'd prefer to be wrong here.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 05:04:35 PM

V is now so lovely after being so meh.

These guys have my money: they work to make it right even when it's not quite.

But I would very much prefer AC2.

Alpha Centauri is in my trinity of perfect games. I love it so very much.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 07:50:40 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna keep an eye on this one, could be great.

I really had a lot of fun with Civ5, and on the other hand, I really like the freedom in visuals and mechanics that a more exotic setting (fantasy or sci-fi) brings to a 4X game.  So this could shape up to be pretty cool.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 08:12:58 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 10:25:15 PM

Really want cool races like AC.  Loved the videos on some of those tech trees. 
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 05:21:17 AM

I'm also in the 'Alpha Centauri was my perfect Civ Game' I would love Alpha Centauri 2.0

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 06:27:31 AM

http://youtu.be/Z_WSgMhfuic - Civ: Beyond Earth trailer REMIX

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 07:40:52 AM

Wait, wasn't Alpha Centaur actually made by the other guy, Brian Reynolds?

*wonders if that was a Steve Jobs <> Steve Wozniak situation*

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 07:47:28 AM

Sky can give you details as he's been stalking Reynolds for years; but yes, it was.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 01:55:21 PM

Reynolds was lead designer on SMAC, Civ2, and Colonization. Guy ate my life in college.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 02:19:39 PM

Reynolds was lead designer on SMAC, Civ2, and Colonization. Guy ate my life in college.
Yep. Mine too. Between him and the fuckers who made Magic: The Gathering, I had to take two freshman years.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 02:32:13 PM

Final Countdown trailer. It's on now.

schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 04:15:56 PM

Yes, Reynolds 15 years ago not being involved is why I don't really care about this. After Rise of Nations, Reynolds dicked around and let his lackeys do shit. Now all of the people involved with all those companies make butt for games.

I'd know, I worked with them.

I expect this to be a reskin of Civ 5, people will hail it as Jesus come back, but it simply won't be. Was excited until I saw a screenshot. Will probably purchase it the same way I bought Civ 4 and 5. Steam Summer sale 2015.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 06:14:25 PM

I admit, I was pretty happy that I held off on Civ 5 until maybe three months before the latest expansion pack. (Which I did later get). I understand it wasn't nearly as fun at launch.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 06:27:59 PM

Sky can give you details as he's been stalking Reynolds for years; but yes, it was.
I didn't say it because of what Schild said. My comments about Reynolds are historically accurate but not relevant in a modern context.

My prediction is this will be as much Alpha Centauri as the Colonization remake was Colonization.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:47 PM

I didn't say it because of what Schild said. My comments about Reynolds are historically accurate but not relevant in a modern context.

My prediction is this will be as much Alpha Centauri as the Colonization remake was Colonization.
The XCOM remake sorta raised my bar on remakes.

That one felt right.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 12:34:53 PM

It is definitely NOT Alpha Centauri 2.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-goes-beyond-earth-not-back-alpha-centauri

It may or may not be a good game. It does sound intetesting. So did Civ5. I'll wait and see. Meanwhile I've just finished an AC game all the way through to the closing credits for the first time in a decade. Such a great game even if it bogs down at the end just as the combat really gets interesting. I'm thinking maybe I'll do that again.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 06:09:41 AM

Still looks pretty good to me.  I like a lot of the ideas they want to try out, and with the description of having to fight the planet and tereforming terrain, I feel gameplay (if not flavor) will still be fairly similar to AC.  Look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Also, seems like it would be fairly easy for a dedicated group to mod it into an AC remake (well, AC by another name.  I'm sure lawyers would get involved otherwise).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 06:24:36 AM

“The word we use is ‘aspirational,’” said McDonough. “It’s very important to us that Civ always be that way. It’s something that can be a little shocking when you play Alpha Centauri. The game requires you to be evil to succeed. We were very careful with this game never to do that.”

Seriously? Fuck this guy. This clown was barely out of middle school when Alpha Centauri came out. He has no idea what that game was about if that's his major takeaway. And we are going to have to listen to this "lead designer" on this game? Over and over they seem obsessed with pointing out that so-and-so decisions aren't right or wrong. Right or wrong. Right or wrong.

So we get the continual homogenization of this game. They were terrified of doing religions in the first place because of right or wrong, and even when they did them, they have no flavor at all. I don't like the direction. Everything they talk about just seems really safe and boring in that piece.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 07:06:55 AM

....but it is true.  I liked Alpha Centari because it was dark, dystopian, and even playing as the UN faction you were being a dick to your own population.  Nobody was good, and technology was ultimately terrifying, as those awesome project completed videos showed.  I appriciate them not forcing us into playing black or white good/evil factions, and allowing you to pick a set of beliefs to run with.  You can then Role-play that faction into some sort of ultra-righteous fascists to your hearts content.   awesome, for real

And I never understood your hatred of the Civ V religions.  I much prefer being able to customize my religions own set of beliefs, giving the game far greater depth and strategy than a cookie cutter "Cities with the Jewish faith produce 20% more gold and build banks at half the cost" template you seem to want.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 07:13:16 AM

Religions in FFH2 gave you stuff like drowned units that came back to life and could walk through water (back before everyone got magic boats).

...you knew it was only a matter of time.

But really, that game did religions right. They had strong flavor and a big impact on gameplay, and lots of variety to suit your style.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 07:16:53 AM

I didn't say it wasn't true, but the great part of Alpha Centauri was that it wasn't afraid to be dark. And that you could design your own units. That was so huge, and it's been completely lost in the succeeding games. Everything I've read there makes me think they are afraid of any controversy or much innovation. It's like they are taking some parts of Alpha Centauri, not calling it that, and then slapping Civ elements into it.

My hatred of Civ V religions is because you can basically pick any of them, and it doesn't make any difference. You can still have the same system of adding on beliefs without reducing the religion at the beginning to a name. What's the difference between taking Judaism or Islam? Nothing, so why even offer it? Why not just let me write in my religion name, because that's effectively all it is doing? Religions should have good parts and bad parts to them, and be distinct, with subfactions and units. They crapped out on them because they didn't want to piss people off.

Sky is right on FFH2 with religions. They were an interesting addition to the game. They had value and drawbacks.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:31 AM

I still think the game has potential to be good.  I liked Civ V, even if it took a couple expansions to really nail it.  So it isn't Alpha Centauri 2, but if it is Civ 6: Civ in SPPAAAAACCCEEE, that might be good enough.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:29 AM

It's not going to be a bad game in my mind. It's just not going to be a game that's going to get me to part with release day money, especially given the release state of Civ 5.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth  
Jump to: