Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Silicon Valley 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silicon Valley  (Read 48323 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #140 on: June 13, 2016, 06:24:00 PM

"I only eat fish that have eaten other fish..."

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: June 14, 2016, 05:51:48 PM

Fantastic New Yorker article about the show. Some fun behind the scenes stories. Definitely worth a read.

That was great  awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #142 on: June 14, 2016, 06:25:57 PM

TIL The CEO of Twitter is a failed comedian, much like the platform itself will inevitably be.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: June 27, 2016, 03:54:47 PM

'Silicon Valley,' season three, episode ten: And then there’s fraud
That’s a whole lot of deus ex machina.

I enjoyed this season, more so than season 2.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #144 on: June 29, 2016, 08:49:26 AM

I had to check and see if the series was renewed (it was) because this would have been a good ending. Glad they are continuing though, because holy shit, does this show continue to bring the funny.

"Monica, I love you! Do you want to see if this can work?"

WayAbvPar

Reply #145 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:44 AM

I think Jian Yang needs a spin off show prank calling people.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #146 on: June 29, 2016, 09:33:23 AM

The DeusEx ending was a little much, but still amusing enough to overlook it. This is a really great show, I wish I'd caught the first season.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 29, 2016, 11:29:07 AM

Was it a Deus Ex ending, though? It was well established beforehand that Bachmanity bought the blog and it wasn't the first time Gavin Belson has a knack for unwittingly financing his rivals. I think even the fact that Laurie doesn't like Ehrlich was established previously, so that joke didn't come totally out of the left field, either.

But as you said, even if it was. That was a great finale to a great season.
schild
Administrator

Reply #148 on: June 29, 2016, 11:51:53 AM

I thought the ending was completely in line with what was going on, though I thought Big Head alone was going to buy it, Not Bachman.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #149 on: June 29, 2016, 11:53:10 AM

He couldn't have - they only got 1 million total for their share of the blog (I assume the other half went to CJ Cantwell).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #150 on: June 29, 2016, 01:55:24 PM

Was it a Deus Ex ending, though? It was well established beforehand that Bachmanity bought the blog and it wasn't the first time Gavin Belson has a knack for unwittingly financing his rivals. I think even the fact that Laurie doesn't like Ehrlich was established previously, so that joke didn't come totally out of the left field, either.

But as you said, even if it was. That was a great finale to a great season.

The setup was too short time-wise, it was a too-perfect confluence of events to save Pied Piper.That's what made it a bit Deus Ex for me. (The Laurie comment, yeah, obvious after the fact and not part of the problem. She clearly doesn't like him any time they were onscreen.)

Elephant Dies, and the blog about to report it gets bought by Gavin for *just enough* that Bachmanity can save things but still remain flat-broke. This all happens in a matter of hours (ok a few days earlier on the death), and at just the right moments in just the right order.

There wasn't the set-up of some of the other "Gavin fucked-up" goofs because it all happened in the same episode. Made it feel too contrived rather than the usual "his own petard" setups.

It's a minor quibble, though. The elephant in the room was... the elephant.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #151 on: April 24, 2017, 11:24:31 AM

This started up again last night for those who may have missed it since GOT didn't start at the same time.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: April 24, 2017, 01:09:57 PM

Russ Hanneman sighting! Always good.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #153 on: April 24, 2017, 01:47:05 PM

I really want some success or a big shake-up to happen this time around. Much as it's fun watching them (and specifically Richard) set themselves up to fail over and over it becomes a bit predictable after a few seasons.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #154 on: April 27, 2017, 10:12:57 PM

Russ Hanneman sighting! Always good.

I saw the actor a couple of weeks ago pushing a double stroller around my neighborhood. I immediately yelled, "This guy fucks!" at him. He gave me the thumbs up and we kept moving.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: April 28, 2017, 03:08:02 AM

Please tell me you're joking.

(Also, be careful, I've heard he has face-blindness.  why so serious?)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: April 28, 2017, 08:21:09 AM

Please tell me you're joking.

(Also, be careful, I've heard he has face-blindness.  why so serious?)

Whether he is or isn't I'm telling all my Silicon Valley fan friends this story.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #157 on: April 28, 2017, 09:53:42 AM

Utterly serious.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #158 on: July 06, 2017, 09:27:49 AM

I did not realize TJ Miller wasn't returning next year. This makes me even more amused with his story line this season.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #159 on: July 06, 2017, 09:59:01 AM

I did not realize TJ Miller wasn't returning next year. This makes me even more amused with his story line this season.

I found out about it around the time he burned down the palapa so I immediately figured that was his out. The eventual ending was even better.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 06, 2017, 01:51:54 PM

T.J. Miller Takes Parting Shots at Silicon Valley Costar and Producer as He's Written Out of the Show
Despite amicably leaving, Miller wasn’t afraid to criticize the show that helped make him a star — complaining about its formula and making digs at writer and executive producer Alec Berg.

Asked if he ever had any conversations with Berg about making Erlich more essential to the group, Miller said, “I didn’t talk to Alec because I don’t like Alec.”

“I don’t know how smart [Alec] is. He went to Harvard, and we all know those kids are f—— idiots. That Crimson trash. Those comedy writers in Hollywood are f—— Harvard graduates and that’s why they’re smug as a bug,” Miller said. “I think that in television you usually have one element that is very challenging, very frustrating. It’s an obstacle, right? So you’re doing the best work that you can do. Alec was that for me, and I think I was that for Alec.”

Miller continued: “For me, television, unlike women and wine, does not get better with age. … I just thought that what the show has suffered from, what’s bad about it … it’s just the same thing over and over. … If they fail, then they succeed, and then if they succeed, they fail. It’s over and over. That’s an old type of sitcom. That’s Seinfeld, where Alec Berg used to work. It’s recycling, it’s network. This is HBO.”

Show is going to miss him -- I don't know who else is going to fill that role -- Jian Yang?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #161 on: July 06, 2017, 01:54:52 PM

As funny as TJ Miller is and was in the role, I think the writers just didn't know what to do with the character. They couldn't seem to get him past the idiot who falls ass backwards into money stage.

WayAbvPar

Reply #162 on: July 06, 2017, 02:24:36 PM

Jian Yang needs someone else to torture. His relationship with Ehrlich was the best part of the show.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #163 on: July 06, 2017, 02:28:21 PM

While I still find the show funny, I think Miller does have a point about the writing being very circular. They can never have the guys completely succeed or fail to the point where it's almost an Every Week on Entourage sort of thing. I mean can they really have Richard be successful at creating a new Internet?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #164 on: July 06, 2017, 02:40:51 PM

While I still find the show funny, I think Miller does have a point about the writing being very circular. They can never have the guys completely succeed or fail to the point where it's almost an Every Week on Entourage sort of thing. I mean can they really have Richard be successful at creating a new Internet?

Yeah, I 100% agree with him and that was my concern at the start of the year and it played out. Next we'll see how their success in the final episode was really a failure and the cycle will begin anew. While the characters are growing, the need to keep them confined to the cycle so they have a reason to stay together is getting long in the tooth.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 06, 2017, 08:44:14 PM

I think they could but have them in an actual almost real company setting (moving beyond the season 3? setup...I miss Jan the Man). The whole live die repeat thing is getting a bit old.

schild
Administrator

Reply #166 on: July 09, 2017, 09:35:24 PM

The whole live die repeat thing is getting a bit old.
literally the startup community
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Silicon Valley  
Jump to: