Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:13:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 302295 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: July 23, 2014, 08:30:37 PM

Aw cmon we don't even disagree but it was just an expression.  What I mean is the idea of "hey, let's do an action oriented trek movie" is not inherently bad and doesn't automatically make it not trek.  Yes, the actual script was terrible.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: July 24, 2014, 01:19:23 AM

Enterprise was just one big fan wank.  I remember in the first episode it was supposed to be this cool low-tech space cowboy shit.  Discovering the universe, making mistakes along the way while being the underdog.  Then in the second episode "oh look we invented photon torpedoes!"  and it just got worse from there.  They couldn't stand a new concept for more than 60minutes.

Anti-Radiation Oiling.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: July 25, 2014, 01:03:52 PM

Video interview of Mark Hamill interview at Guardians of the Galaxy premeire in the UK, for those interested. I hadn't anticipated that they'd have him grow a Kenobi beard (most renditions of Old Luke that I've seen have him clean-shaven), but he wears it well.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: July 25, 2014, 02:06:00 PM

I hadn't anticipated that they'd have him grow a Kenobi beard (most renditions of Old Luke that I've seen have him clean-shaven), but he wears it well.

Anything that hides his face is a plus.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: July 25, 2014, 02:42:07 PM

The guy is going to be as old, or a year older than Alec Guiness was when he did A New Hope.

Soak that in.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #320 on: July 25, 2014, 04:08:13 PM

Kind of awesome to me.

The funny part is Ford is almost a decade older than 'the old man' Cushing was. (Ford is 72, Cushing was 64)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: July 25, 2014, 04:46:04 PM

The guy is going to be as old, or a year older than Alec Guiness was when he did A New Hope.

Soak that in.

I hate you.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #322 on: July 25, 2014, 04:58:39 PM

Soak that in.

I hate you.

Me too...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #323 on: July 25, 2014, 05:04:37 PM

Soak that in.

I hate you.

Me too...

Add me to the list. Damn you.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #324 on: July 25, 2014, 05:19:41 PM

Do you feel sometimes that age is against you?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #325 on: July 25, 2014, 06:52:17 PM

Sing, and rejoice.
and sing
and rejoice.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: July 25, 2014, 10:08:57 PM

I hadn't anticipated that they'd have him grow a Kenobi beard (most renditions of Old Luke that I've seen have him clean-shaven), but he wears it well.

Anything that hides his face is a plus.

No kidding.  Some people don't age well at all.  He is not a handsome man.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:13 PM

Do you feel sometimes that age is against you?
I feel the guys in the medical fields are not building magic nanobots that will end aging fast enough.

Ginaz: Well, he'd have probably looked better if not for that face versus glass versus road incident in his youth. I suspect "massive facial trauma" ages your face a bit.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Yeah, I remember hearing about how he had some scarring or something from an accident.  At least he's looking more like Mark Hamill again.  There was a stretch there where I guess he had put on so much weight he was literally unrecognizable.  The first time I saw the episode of Chuck with Hamill in it I had no idea it was him until I watched it a second time specifically looking for him.

Over and out.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: July 25, 2014, 10:25:59 PM

Yeah, he had to have a large amount of facial reconstructive surgery before "The Empire Strikes Back." Oddly, it was during the filming for empire that his talent for voice acting came out and started getting him noticed for it, as he started doing Yoda impressions that cracked people up and pissed off Frank Oz as he did a better Yoda than Oz did.

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: July 25, 2014, 11:59:30 PM

Soak that in.

I saw the first Star Wars at a drive-in in the backseat of my brother's 1969 Mustang Mach I fastback.  

Get off my lawn!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:51:48 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 26, 2014, 01:09:14 AM

Mark hasn't aged well at all.  His voice has also become sort of...odd...somehow.  He doesn't come across to me as the wise old Jedi, but rather the sort of crazy old uncle who might be a bit drunk most of the time.  On the other hand, I think he is a decent actor and his voice work has been nothing short of phenomenal.  I really don't know what to expect from him from this movie.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: July 26, 2014, 01:29:57 AM

Mark hasn't aged well at all.  His voice has also become sort of...odd...somehow. 

In a "older man who's been straining his voice playing the Joker for 20 years" kind of way? Yeah, I noticed that.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: July 26, 2014, 02:28:33 AM

Yeah, gravelly, growling and sort of evil sounding. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: July 26, 2014, 04:16:28 AM

It would be funny if he was the bad guy in the first movie.  "Uh, Lord Skywalker, your academy is turning out a lot of Sith."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #335 on: July 26, 2014, 04:41:18 AM

Soak that in.

I saw the first Star Wars at a drive-in in the backseat of my brother's 1969 Mustang Mach I fastback.  

Get off my lawn!

Same scenario, but it was my mother's Pinto wagon. I was 4, but still watched the whole thing. I still remember my mother reading me the intro, light sabers and laser gun fights. But that is about all I can piece together from that viewing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: July 26, 2014, 05:16:11 AM

It would be funny if he was the bad guy in the first movie.  "Uh, Lord Skywalker, your academy is turning out a lot of Sith."

I'm now imagining him dressed in black Sith robes just answering with the Joker laugh... ACK! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #337 on: July 26, 2014, 05:27:23 AM

He was much better as Christopher Blair in Wing Commander 3, 4 and 5  why so serious?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: July 26, 2014, 07:09:08 AM

Yeah My dream interview question would be "So Mr Hamill, lets talk about your role as a fighter pilot fighting an evil empire that single highhandedly saves the day. I am, of course, talking about Christopher Blair."  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #339 on: July 26, 2014, 07:59:20 AM

Sing, and rejoice.
and sing
and rejoice.

Life to you is a dashing, bold adventure...

As for Hamill's looks, I think he's done pretty well, considering he had his face rebuilt in the early eighties when plastic surgery was significantly less advanced.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: July 26, 2014, 02:04:03 PM

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: July 26, 2014, 03:07:13 PM

Yeah, the beard looks good on him.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: July 26, 2014, 05:13:46 PM

Yeah, he pulls it off. Kinda grizzled, but it works.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: July 26, 2014, 06:00:38 PM

Totally works for me.

He might turn out to be the genuine actor in that trinity. Ford lost all the softness and insouciance of Han Solo in every single subsequent role--a less "rogue-like" actor is hard to imagine. Carrie Fisher, well, she's funny and interesting and 100% addled. But I'm actually curious about what Hamill will do because his voice acting suggests real range and imagination.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: July 26, 2014, 06:03:18 PM

Ford has been coasting on indiana jones and phoning it in for the better part of 20 years now.  Hamill has had to work for a living and it seems like he's sharpened his chops, at least where voice acting is concerned.  Fisher is probably insane which could go either way.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: July 26, 2014, 11:19:20 PM

Ford has been coasting on indiana jones and phoning it in for the better part of 20 years now.  Hamill has had to work for a living and it seems like he's sharpened his chops, at least where voice acting is concerned.  Fisher is probably insane which could go either way.

No probably about it. Fisher is, if memory serves, bipolar. I'd say out of the three of them she is probably the one with the quickest wit and the smartest person. Hamill is the nerd of the group who loves this stuff and I think it'll come across in his acting. Ford...well, Ford is ironically the one I have the least expectations of. As he's aged he's seemed to be more and more grumpy old man and less charming rogue. I just can't figure out how he'll recapture Han Solo and to be honest, I think he's arrogant enough he won't put much effort into it unless J.J. rides his ass hard about it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: July 27, 2014, 05:51:13 AM

he won't put much effort into it unless J.J. rides his ass hard about it.

Let's just say that door didn't fall on it's own..... why so serious?

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #347 on: July 28, 2014, 08:08:09 AM

Fisher is probably insane which could go either way.

She should voice a hutt.

I have never played WoW.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #348 on: September 13, 2014, 01:58:51 AM

Holy shnikies, got led into this by the teaser for Ep.IV that sorta went viral today, but the first three are AMAZING. Re-cut and audio replaced to make incredible shorts:

Episode I: Jedi Party
Episode II: The Friend Zone
Episode III: Revenge of Middle Management

Ep IV. Teaser: Star Wars Without Williams

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #349 on: September 13, 2014, 07:41:53 PM

The Chewbacca parts of Ep. IV really make it work.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: