Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:41:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 302313 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #350 on: September 15, 2014, 12:04:03 PM

Holy crap, Ab, those were amazing.  Thanks for sharing, the wife bitched about me laughing so much in bed as I was watching them.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: September 18, 2014, 08:43:58 AM

New video from Bad Robot. I Heart obscure little references like this.

When you see it...

why so serious?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #352 on: September 18, 2014, 09:01:02 AM

Oh he is really taking the piss now.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #353 on: September 18, 2014, 09:04:15 AM

Not sure I get that one.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: September 18, 2014, 10:11:43 AM

Not sure I get that one.
Same here.  What am I (not) seeing?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #355 on: September 18, 2014, 10:13:27 AM

The music changes to the Dark Knight music and that's the Batmobile shape on the underside of the Falcon. It's a response to Zac Synder's joke post that showed the crashed Batmobile and a joyriding Stormtrooper.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: September 18, 2014, 10:17:13 AM

O I C.

(not)

Guess it didn't help that I can't listen to audio at work (well, too lazy to put the earbuds in each time) and I didn't know about the Batman thing at all.  I guess that context is really needed for me, lol.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:07 PM

Ill admit the first 15 seconds of that clip gave me goosebumps.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: October 02, 2014, 09:32:55 PM

Pretty huge spoiler about SW7 has hit, it's "I'm your father" huge.  So I'd watch out.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #359 on: October 02, 2014, 09:57:55 PM

Going to be hard to avoid for 14 months.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: October 03, 2014, 09:27:15 AM

As soon as I read 'spoiler' I figured out what it was.

It's also very much not a spoiler at this point, but some pretty big speculation based on some shadowy information that someone may or may not have.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #361 on: October 03, 2014, 10:28:20 AM

I'm happy I'm at a place I'm not searching it out and don't know what it could possibly be related to.

Hooray.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: October 03, 2014, 11:24:58 AM

Eh, whatever.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: October 03, 2014, 01:03:13 PM

That's not a spoiler. It's speculation. There's nothing to suggest that they aren't putting out false leaks to surprise fans even more when the film does come out. Only thing more dramatic than an I'm Your Father spoiler is when you go in with it to discover it's really I'm Your Mother, and don't you feel stupid!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: October 03, 2014, 01:58:03 PM

That's not a spoiler. It's speculation. There's nothing to suggest that they aren't putting out false leaks to surprise fans even more when the film does come out. Only thing more dramatic than an I'm Your Father spoiler is when you go in with it to discover it's really I'm Your Mother, and don't you feel stupid!

Except this has happened to Abrams before with Khan/Cumberbatch.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #365 on: October 03, 2014, 02:14:49 PM

Except this has happened to Abrams before with Khan/Cumberbatch.

I haven't looked up the spoiler yet, but is it as stupid as the Khan thing was?  Because if so I'm fine with knowing about it ahead of time.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: October 03, 2014, 02:20:07 PM

Obviously, don't click if you don't want the info.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #367 on: October 03, 2014, 02:24:02 PM

If that's true, it's a bit stupid.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: October 03, 2014, 02:28:28 PM

If the happiness in your life is directly impacted because someone gave you a piece of information on an entertainment product, you need to take a hard fucking look in the mirror.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #369 on: October 03, 2014, 02:31:55 PM

Yeah, I don't at all regret knowing that "spoiler".   swamp poop  It does make me even less excited about seeing the movies, though.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: October 03, 2014, 02:46:23 PM

Obviously, don't click if you don't want the info.

If you want to see just how much it's speculation, here's the article that broke the "spoiler", but it's basically what Maven said.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: October 03, 2014, 02:56:18 PM

The Specoiler is really light on facts.  Even if you hear it, it is like describing a journey by saying where you end up.  There are a thousand paths that could be taken to get there, and a thousand places to go from there... it is not worth hearing.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: October 03, 2014, 05:26:10 PM

On the topic of that spoiler

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #373 on: October 03, 2014, 06:03:39 PM

It'd be both undoing what some of the earlier films did and REDOING what some of the other films did.  Just blah all around.  So, pretty much what we'd expect from a film with JJ at the helm.   awesome, for real

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: October 03, 2014, 06:07:17 PM

If that rumour is true then we will just be having a rehash of the crap plot of the prequels with EVEN MORE EXPLOSIONS!!! Pass.

Hic sunt dracones.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: October 03, 2014, 06:44:04 PM

Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: October 04, 2014, 03:07:42 AM

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:12:38 AM by Logain »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: October 04, 2014, 03:29:51 AM

But, you have to remember that the vast, vast majority of the EU was also completely stupid and was really nothing better than bad fan masturbation.

Oh yeah. JJ film.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: October 04, 2014, 07:43:31 AM

My 10 year old self thought heir to the empire was the shit. Also enjoyed the rogue squadron series, as well as the later stuff(dark lord trilogy i think?) that kind of filled in Vader's hunting of the jedi and his transition into...vaderhood. Thing about Star Wars is you can either enjoy it for what it is or just discard it because once you start holding it to much of any sort of literary standard it all starts to look a little dumb.

I'm really hoping these new movies will be good because I love Star Wars but I'm not real confident given abrams treatment of the star trek universe. We're gonna get a shiny, glossy hospital clean star wars universe filled with the lens flares of a thousand supernovas. Edit: But on second thought, I highly doubt he is capable of doing a worse job than lucas did with the prequels.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:50:03 AM by Logain »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: October 04, 2014, 11:21:28 AM

I think its fair to say that Abrams wont do a worse job than Lucas did. Abrams is better at crafting a coherent story and is a much better director. His films will be better, that much is fairly certain. However I think its not a product that my 42 year old self will be that interested in looking at. And I guess that's fair enough too.

*sobs over his copy of Empire*

Hic sunt dracones.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: October 04, 2014, 11:28:46 AM

Well, let's see what happens. Star Trek's original core was more philosophical / moral exploration, and Abram's latest movies took it to a heavy flashy action-oriented shades of gray plot with little in the way of a deep story addressing some topic. To be fair, the series was moving away from this idealized Federation and into darker subject matter as early as DS9.

So, what's he going to do with Star Wars? I think it's more in line with the type of projects he's involved in, so it's not like he's making a risky jump into say RomComs, but you can never forget that this is meant to launch a new era of Star Wars to merchandise and sell ancillary products to a rabid fanbase. I wouldn't be surprised if it was to target the next generation of children while having something for the adults to reestablish a prevalent cultural position.

Money money money!

Wouldn't the prequels have laid the way for Clone Wars and other cartoons for the teen crowd that had seen the prequels as a child?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: October 04, 2014, 12:03:41 PM

Attack of the Clones came out in 2002. Revenge of the Shit came out 2005. The Clone Wars tv series started in 2008.

Hic sunt dracones.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: October 04, 2014, 07:42:01 PM

FWIW - Star Wars Rebels was introduced this weekend on Disney.  It is juvenile and poorly written (IMHO), but I encourage you folks to give it a viewing.  They are very careful to draw heavily upon New Hope.  Themes - images - and even fades between scenes.  That gives me hope that they're trying hard to focus on the original trilogy for all new projects.

And for what it is worth, JJ has said that Star Trek was intended as a reimagining - while Staw Wars is intended to be a continuation. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #383 on: October 05, 2014, 07:37:17 AM

Well, let's see what happens. Star Trek's original core was more philosophical / moral exploration, and Abram's latest movies took it to a heavy flashy action-oriented shades of gray plot with little in the way of a deep story addressing some topic. To be fair, the series was moving away from this idealized Federation and into darker subject matter as early as DS9.

You mean "as soon as Gene Died." He bucked the kickit in 1991. While the last few seasons of TNG kept to the formula and optimism of the show, they did take a bit darker turn. DS9 kicked off 2 years after his death and so had l

Wouldn't the prequels have laid the way for Clone Wars and other cartoons for the teen crowd that had seen the prequels as a child?

Yes, they did.  While it's in fashion to hate on them because we're old men and they were objectively terrible it's what people under 20 know as Star Wars.  Anecdotally, those are the Star Wars of my nephews, son and their friends. They know of Luke, Han and Leia but when you say Star Wars the conversations are about Grevious, ObiWan, Anakin and Asoka.

My son will watch RoTS before ANH or ESB because those are "boring" to modern child sensibilities. Not enough flash, not enough pop and not enough going on. It's like when my mom tried to get me to watch The Thin Man when I was a kid. I couldn't appreciate it because it was so old and boring. 

And before anyone starts on the "kids have no taste" train, we weren't any better. Let's face it old men like us only watched Leave it to Beaver, Lassie, etc because it was the only option, not because we enjoyed them.  GI Joe was as terrible as the Prequels, in a lot of ways worse, and we ate that shit up as prepubescents.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: October 05, 2014, 08:45:33 AM

I dunno, I freaking loved the original star wars as a kid.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: