Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 College Football 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 College Football  (Read 78578 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #175 on: December 06, 2014, 09:45:04 PM

If Ohio State gets in playing their third QB because they ran it up on a below average Wisconsin team, that's going to show exactly how much Big Ten bias is in the room.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #176 on: December 07, 2014, 11:02:09 AM

Bama vs OSU

Oregon vs FSU

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: December 07, 2014, 11:29:09 AM

I think the Buckeyes deserve the spot just as much as TCU or Baylor, but truthfully they have no chance vs Alabama. The defense played great against Wiscy but that's a perfect matchup vs a run-heavy team with an inaccurate QB. Kiffin is going to rip that defense to shreds down the middle, and I don't think Cardale Jones will do much against Bama's defense. It's going to be a blowout but at least we'll get an 8 team playoff out of it in a few years.  awesome, for real

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 07, 2014, 11:51:58 AM

Big12 plays a championship game and Ohio St. is not even in the conversation. Frankly, IMHO, it was a toss up among TCU, Baylor, and OSU. I'd have given the edge to TCU for not losing to a shit team during the season, but any of those three is going to get grind up against the Bama defense. I am really hoping Oregon rips FSU apart and then gets slapped down by Bama. And I say this as an LSU alum.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #179 on: December 07, 2014, 03:25:25 PM

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:28:01 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #180 on: December 07, 2014, 03:38:38 PM

Money talks, Big 12 walks. Same as always.

Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: December 07, 2014, 06:16:20 PM

Money talks, Big 12 walks. Same as always.

This in spades.

OSU just has the fan base too big to leave out of the dance.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #182 on: December 07, 2014, 08:05:34 PM

Pretty much, the Big 10 is the reason we have the playoff in the first place. Because they were complaining about the SEC. They still do, pretty much all the time. Reference basically everything Hoax posted.

But in the end, the Big 10 has a giant fanbase that enjoys shitty football. And let's be honest, there's only one team they could remotely put in this contest, and it's Ohio State. It's never been anybody else even in the BCS era. They had a relevant run in the 90s, and then that league dried up fast.

At this point though, with the amount of money, and the amount of recruiting, and the amount of counter-recruiting, the best high school talent is being produced in warm weather regions, and convincing warm weather kids to play in the cold-ass, slow, run dominated Big Ten is a hard sell. Especially to young black kids who grew up in the South.

I seriously doubt that whatever system or whatever the playoff turns into if the Big Ten will ever truly be relevant beyond Ohio State. Because they haven't proven it in about 2 decades.

EDIT: Want some semi-hilarious coincidence? Check out how SB Nation ranked the conferences at the beginning of the year. They are in the exact same order as the playoff 1-4. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/24/5832920/college-football-conferences-best-2014
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:09:41 PM by Paelos »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #183 on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:57 PM

If I was rankings king it would have been:

#1 FSU
#2 Alabama/Oregon (this would be really hard)

#4 Baylor (because I think they are B12 champs and B12 > B1G this year)

But I think that the Big-12 completely fucked themselves by:
1) Not having a championship game
2) Not even declaring Baylor champion

It was like they decided to dare the committee to put Ohio State in or something. I have no idea wtf that was about but if I was a Baylor fan I'd be majorly pissed at the conference mucky mucks.

Also the committee sure set this up by rating TCU so highly and holding Baylor down. But I don't think Ohio State would have gotten in had they not utterly crushed Wisconsin in that game. Which is stupid. We're back to the style point wins and running up the score. How the fuck is FSU #4/#3 for weeks? They are undefeated in a Power 5 and played A REAL NON CONFERENCE SCHEDULE, seriously their OOC is about twice as real as any other playoff team if not more so. OSU, ND and UF are all real programs. Nobody else in the playoff field even played 2/4 OOC games against real programs that I can think of.

FSU took ND's heart but they looked a real team at the time. OSU had a down year but they are a power-five bowl team. UF is a mess still but they took out UGA, they went 4-4 in a real conference, they lost to Gamecocks in OT and they lost to LSU by 3. That's miles above the tier2-6 schools that the rest of the field scheduled for 3 of their OOC games.

So undefeated and the realest schedule and no way is the ACC the shitty conference this year but they are #4? Fuck that what a joke.

So where Paelos sees a conspiracy to favor the Big10 all I see is Alabama getting the most favorable MU possible for their unearned #1 seed homegame in New Orleans. If they really wanted to do the Big10 a favor they would have put Oregon to #1 or Ohio State to #3 because I think if there was a match up the Buckeyes might have won it was versus Oregon where they would get strength (D-line) on weakness (O-line) in their favor. They wouldn't put an Ohio State team into a game against Alabama where they are horribly over-matched to continue the storyline of how Ohio State can't beat the SEC.

Seriously any realistic Ohio State fan is not thrilled at all about this outcome the vegas line should easily be over +10 by the time kickoff rolls around and the game is in the south like usual.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:38:38 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #184 on: December 08, 2014, 07:33:04 AM

If I'm ranking the four it would be

1 - Oregon
2 - FSU
3 - Alabama
4 - Ohio State

Alabama is seriously flawed. I've been saying that all year. Their defense is still very suspect to a team that can throw the deep ball and protect a QB, except they've played literally two of those teams in conference the regular season. And they lost one of them in Ole Miss. MS State, Auburn, and LSU are all running teams. Missouri's offense is total shit so it doesn't matter what they try to do.

The other passing team they played was West Virginia, and they gave the tide all they could handle. If West Virginia had a functional defense, instead of some 60th ranked subpar nonsense, they would have beaten Alabama early.

Alabama's extremely vulnerable through the air. They play coverages that can be beat on a deep ball. It happened several times in that Missouri game, it's just that Missouri sucks at everything else. But Ohio State is a running team first. It's a terrible matchup for them to face exactly what Alabama does well. That game is a disaster waiting to happen if Alabama gets an early lead, because you can't play catchup with that team if you aren't great at tossing the ball around. I mean that backup QB is going from Wisconsin's horrible defense to one of the best defenses up front in college ball. He'll see things he's never seen before, and Alabama's been there a lot. I don't think it's close at the end.

But Oregon? Alabama's going to have their hands full with Oregon. They can fling it and move it. Their defense is better. That's going to be a hell of a game if we get to see it.

By the way there's no conspiracy. Unless Ohio State shit the bed, they were going to get in that game. They have a brand and are in a conference that produces cashflow for this game. Baylor and TCU are nobody schools that produce jack and shit.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:34:44 AM by Paelos »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #185 on: December 08, 2014, 09:45:43 AM

I'm pretty OK with these matchups.  4-6 were all interchangeable cogs, IMO, and had equivalent resumes.  In the end it was easier to just side step the whole Baylor/TCU issue.

I'm kind of less thrilled to land Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.  What's the upside of playing this team?  None that I can really see.  You win and it's because you were supposed to.  You lose and it's a sudden invalidation of your season and your conference. You're playing just to tread water in the end.  Although, at least with us, we're actually in big bowl for once.  I would have preferred to play someone like Mississippi (State or Ole) or Michigan State.

I worry in all of this that Oregon will do their standard "freeze up in any game of national importance" routine.  I also think Alabama's size will give them issues if it comes to that game.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:47:34 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: December 08, 2014, 10:35:38 AM

LSU pulls Notre Dame. This should at least be interesting since my uncle is a pretty big Irish fan.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #187 on: December 08, 2014, 11:07:17 AM

I'm pretty OK with these matchups.  4-6 were all interchangeable cogs, IMO, and had equivalent resumes.  In the end it was easier to just side step the whole Baylor/TCU issue.

I'm kind of less thrilled to land Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.  What's the upside of playing this team?  None that I can really see.  You win and it's because you were supposed to.  You lose and it's a sudden invalidation of your season and your conference. You're playing just to tread water in the end.  Although, at least with us, we're actually in big bowl for once.  I would have preferred to play someone like Mississippi (State or Ole) or Michigan State.

I worry in all of this that Oregon will do their standard "freeze up in any game of national importance" routine.  I also think Alabama's size will give them issues if it comes to that game.

That's Georgia playing Hawaii in the 2007-08 Sugar Bowl. No upside at all to that game. Yet, Georgia made it memorable by absolutely destroying them. You can always make a game memorable by blowing away a team and making a statement to the bowl committee as if to say, "Really you fuckers? We're still pretending these assholes belong?"

Because Boise State is awful this year. This isn't like days of yore when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. This is a Boise team that lost to Air Force (really), and got taken to the wire by Nevada. Then again, Arizona had a run-in with Nevada too. But Boise's state absolute best win is...uh...wow. Maybe Colorado State? That's not saying a ton.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #188 on: December 08, 2014, 11:24:02 AM

Here's 9 games, one of each Power-5 matchup from the non-playoff bowl slate. I picked the most balanced according to conference W-L games except the Wisconsin game because according to the polls Auburn is better so it serves a double purpose of checking for ranking bias and determining if the best conference (SEC) is actually that much better than the worst (B1G). Sadly the P12 and SEC have zero games against eachother this year, evenly matched or otherwise so that's why the 10th game is missing. Oh and the Clemson vs OU match up is not a fair one but its all that I see for ACC vs B12.

Miss St. vs G-tech

Duke vs ASU (could be Oregon vs FSU)

MSU vs Baylor

Nebraska vs USC

TCU vs Ole Miss

OU vs Clemson

Rutgars vs UNC

Auburn vs Wisconsin  (could be Ohio State vs Alabama)

UW vs Okla St.

I'll come back to this list when the dust clears and see who looks like the "best" conference according to "even" MU's between them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:30:23 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #189 on: December 08, 2014, 11:34:19 AM

Win or lose, I still don't think non-playoff bowls prove anything. These games are all about who gives a shit, not about actual play. They are playing the top 4 conference champions in the playoff. That should decide the point.

I mean the SEC went 7-3 last year and had the best bowl percentage. They still lost the national championship. That's a failure in my eyes.

Rasix

Reply #190 on: December 09, 2014, 11:04:49 AM

Kind of funny that Scooby Wright wasn't even a Butkus Award finalist.  Sure, put him up for everything else but the position he actually plays.

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: December 09, 2014, 06:31:14 PM

That's nuts. The dude is insanely good.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

Reply #192 on: December 09, 2014, 07:48:55 PM

That's nuts. The dude is insanely good.

It's just a weird omission, but I guess that's what you get with subjective awards.  He won the Nagurski and is a finalist for the Walter Camp (only defensive player named) and Bednarik. 153 tackles, 27 TFL, 14 sacks, and 6 forced fumble. And... he's a sophomore. Not bad for a 2 star recruit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:51:03 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #193 on: December 10, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Pretty much, the Big 10 is the reason we have the playoff in the first place. Because they were complaining about the SEC. They still do, pretty much all the time. Reference basically everything Hoax posted.

I just want to go back to this to point out how full of shit Paelos always is.

The playoff came from the ACC + SEC pushing for it. The B1G and PAC10 were the ones who didn't want playoff for a long time.

After the BCS title game in January 2008, ACC commissioner John Swofford, also the BCS coordinator, said he would lead a "thorough" evaluation of a plus-one playoff model. In April, Swofford and SEC commissioner Mike Slive proposed the plus-one model, beginning in the 2010 season, to their colleagues at a BCS meeting in Hollywood, Florida.

The plan received little support from the others, and the BCS model remained for the 2010-13 cycle.

Mike Tranghese (Big East commissioner, 1990-2009): SEC fans would point to 2004 and Auburn not getting in, but I thought 2003 was the most controversial, when USC got left out. Following that, we didn't go back in the room and say, 'There's a problem. There's gotta be a playoff.' We really focused on tweaking the system that was in place. There wasn't any talk about the playoff, primarily because the Big Ten and the Pac-10 had been very, very consistent in their opposition to a playoff. There had been no wavering ever.

A couple people wrote that if I had voted the other way we would have had a plus-one. It's ridiculous. The Pac-10 and Big Ten voted against it and they weren't going to do it. Our group was not controlled by a vote. It was a voluntary association. It didn't matter how I voted. Other people voted against it for different reasons than me. I was cast as an anti-playoff person, which was a joke.

Why? Because the B1G and P12 had a tie in to the best bowl game in the bowl system and BCS bowl system the Rose.

Here's the PAC-12 guy saying the B1G only came around because they didn't want to be the ONLY opposition to the playoff:

Scott: I think Jim [Delany] realized pretty early on that our position might change and the Big Ten couldn't be an outlier. As long as the Big Ten and Pac-10 were aligned, we could prevent it from happening, but he didn't want the Big Ten to be on its own. I think he saw the handwriting on the wall with our changing position.

tl;dr

As is so often the case, Paelos says shit in this forum as if he is authority and in actuality he's just 100% wrong. No conference was opposed to a playoff system more and for longer than the Big Ten. But don't let facts get in the way of your shit or anything Paelos its all because people were upset with the SEC, who had been pro-playoff since forever and were well out in advance with the ACC wanting a playoff.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12002638/an-oral-history-college-football-playoff

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:38:34 AM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #194 on: December 10, 2014, 11:09:02 AM

So somehow you think that the Big Ten finally reversing their decision on being the major holdout reverses my point that they are the reason we have a playoff? Because I've got news, they are the reason we have a playoff. The SEC could have proposed shit until the end of time if the Big Ten didn't get their old asses out of the way, and stopped just complaining about the SEC and actually do something, we wouldn't have one.

Because I was aware of who was blocking shit. That's the point. The Big Ten always wants to have their way, and doesn't want to listen to the SEC about anything, and instead bitch and moan about things without offering a real alternative. Because they know which way things go if they let the SEC have it's way. The hilarious point is that it finally took not being in the discussion for what? 4-5 years? For them to come around to the idea.

The Big Ten was only delaying irrelevance. They have literally one program left that's worth a damn. They might as well rename the conference to Ohio State, and some other guys and stuff.

EDIT: I've never understood your odd vendetta against the SEC, other than the fact you as a fan also see the writing on the wall. Which is that the Big Ten simply won't be able to compete as a conference long term unless they seriously consider changing the way they do business. Ohio State is only relevant now because they hired an SEC coach to come run the ship.

EDITx2: I'm also always confused by your PAELOS IS WRONG stuff that seems to permeate some of your posts. I mean I get disagreeing with me about taking shots at the Big Ten, but it's so fucking easy a child could do it. The Leaders and Legends stuff could have practically been written by the Onion. How that ever got out of committee is beyond me. The fact the Michigan has shit the bed so hard just makes the story write itself now. Then you have rumors that the Duke coach turned down the job, followed by quick anti-rumors that they never spoke. But the problem is even if it didn't happen, it was actually BELIEVABLE that the Duke coach would tell Michigan to fuck off. That should never happen.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:33:33 AM by Paelos »

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 10, 2014, 01:28:49 PM

Wow I should visit this thread more often, I see the tears have started early again  why so serious?

Michigan needs to hire a non-transitional AD before they'll be able to hire a coach/staff that might get Michigan righted.

Hey Paelos, which SEC team do you want to ask you to the Winter Formal? Don't say Alabama, they've already got a date.

You can't "run up the score" in the first half of a football game. What you can do is utterly dominate the other team. Ohio State scored 21 points in the second half, and that's not "running up the score." Unless you're predisposed to hate the Big Ten.

The committee was watching the game, and that's why Ohio State is in the 4th spot.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #196 on: December 10, 2014, 02:08:36 PM

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Ohio State being in the game given the other choices. I've also said time and again I think Alabama is flawed. Mississippi State really let me down late in the season simply because they couldn't play competent defense, and turned the ball over a ton. I still think if you give up 30+ in a game, you deserve to lose in the SEC. Unless you're playing Auburn apparently.

If I got good odds on Oregon I'd probably take them right now to win it all. But it would have to be at least 3-1 to cover the "OH FUCK WE'RE IN THE SPOTLIGHT" and that's not going to happen. In likelihood of actually winning?

My odds would be:

Even money Alabama
2-1 Oregon
6-1 OSU
8-1 FSU

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:46 PM

Hey, in my perfect world, Ohio State would win 10+ games in the regular season, including a rousing victory over a competitive Michigan program.
(And then probably lose to Oregon in the Rose Bowl.)
The national champion would be determined by whether the Huskers or the Sooners had won the most 77-0 games in their pathetic conference.

But, that's not the world we live in anymore.

I like a playoff better than the BCS. The BCS was still just a popularity contest, but with more money involved.

College football can't have a March Madness, so under the circumstances, I say a 4-team playoff is better than a poll.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #198 on: December 10, 2014, 04:21:06 PM

So somehow you think that the Big Ten finally reversing their decision on being the major holdout reverses my point that they are the reason we have a playoff? Because I've got news, they are the reason we have a playoff. The SEC could have proposed shit until the end of time if the Big Ten didn't get their old asses out of the way, and stopped just complaining about the SEC and actually do something, we wouldn't have one.

why so serious? sure that's what you meant

The Leaders and Legends stuff could have practically been written by the Onion. How that ever got out of committee is beyond me. The fact the Michigan has shit the bed so hard just makes the story write itself now. Then you have rumors that the Duke coach turned down the job, followed by quick anti-rumors that they never spoke. But the problem is even if it didn't happen, it was actually BELIEVABLE that the Duke coach would tell Michigan to fuck off. That should never happen.

Quote me where I defended any of these things. Which you cannot do because I never did. I never even spoke of them unless I made a "wow those are horrible stupid names" post at some point. Which I doubt I even bothered to do. I've never told anyone to not mock the big ten or anything remotely like that. What the fuck do I care? I was born and raised on the west coast. I have repeatedly said that SEC gets major ranking inflation and is overrated as a conference and that lately the ACC and B12 have been under ranked and their bowl performances prove it. Probably their regular season results too but its a lot harder to look at that up myself that bowl results which are all in one easy place to reference.

God you are a bad joke. Feel free to continue moving the goal posts around. Or why not claim nothing but the national championship matters in terms of proving which group of 10-14 teams is the best top to bottom. Again.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:24:18 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #199 on: December 10, 2014, 06:34:11 PM

God you are a bad joke.

See this is what I'm talking about. I honestly have no problem with you other than the fact you go off the deep end about the SEC or losing your shit over the fact the SEC could have gotten two teams in long before things got decided. Which they didn't.

I don't think you're a bad joke. You just continually show you have objectivity issues about the SEC. The Big Ten is conference that needs to honestly evaluate what the fuck they are doing and completely change their tactics in order to remain relevant. I hope they do, because it's more interesting when other teams are actually competing across the board. But the sheer old school blah blah blah we've done it this way forever, kiss our ass, sort of mantra makes the Big Ten undefendable right now in my mind. The Big 12 is good, but they need to realize they won't get anywhere without a championship game, and Texas/OU getting to be top-tier again. Also, they fucked themselves in the past with their revenue distributions, and that's why programs almost completely abandoned them to their own Texas-driven greed.

The PAC-12 is fine. It just happens to be in a late time zone, so a lot of people have no idea what goes on out there until bowl time.

But in the end we'd have no playoff if the Big Ten was winning. I firmly believe that. They were going to be the deciding factor in whether or not this thing came to pass, and they only decided to finally get on board when the writing was on the wall that they couldn't regularly put a team in the game under the BCS as constructed anymore. I don't think that's some CRAZY ASS PAELOS BEING ALL CONSPIRACY theory.

Nothing but championships matter to me as a fan, conference and national. It's why Georgia drives me fucking crazy when the fans get excited about 10 win seasons that produce fuckall titles.

However, I'll just keep pointing to the conference ratings every year about the SEC and just shake my head when we still have to belabor this conference strength point year after year. I remember in another year when I asked how many in a row would it take? Ten years of winning in a row? 8 of 9? 9 of 10? At what point does everyone just stop kind of put their crazy aside and just agree that the analysts aren't completely nuts for thinking the SEC is some of the best college football out there?

But goalposts, hate, clowns, etc. Shine on.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:37:49 PM by Paelos »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 11, 2014, 11:36:01 PM

Utes have the best punter in the nation as he wins the Ray Guy award!

It's actually been pretty wild watching this dude. He's an aussie who is just sick. He can kick it rugby style or straight punting and puts it absolutely anywhere he wants it. Utes won probably 2 games just because of our punter (plus D taking advantage, but the positional mechanics of what he was able to do were just amazing).

He is hilarious too.  He says punting is just "kicking bacon" because the ball is made of pig skin.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #201 on: December 12, 2014, 04:59:59 AM

There was some good competition for the award this year so it's impressive that he won it. The Alabama punter is going to win it soon, but the only problem is Alabama doesn't give him a ton of ways to show it off. Kid's good though.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #202 on: December 12, 2014, 02:17:03 PM

Top Ten most watched college games in 2014

4 are ACC
6 are SEC

FSU and Alabama dominated the coverage. If we're going by wet dreams of TV execs, that's who they want in the game, because anything else on primetime didn't touch games involving those two teams. The only game that didn't involve them was the A&M and Auburn game.

For the sixth straight year the SEC on CBS was the most watched college football television package. This is significant because ABC is able to program the best games from the Big Ten, Pac 12, Big 12 and ACC in its evening primetime telecast and still can't beat the SEC's game of the week. The nation has decided it would rather watch SEC football than any other combination of conference or teams. Which means CBS's SEC package, only costing $55 million a year, is truly worth its weight in gold. That package of games will hit the market again in 2023-24 and promises to create a bidding war that CBS can't match.

The full ratings are here: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

If you look at them, it's interesting stuff. What stands out is how badly some of the primetime matchups on ABC did relative to that time slot. I do think they missed one though, I think the Michigan/Ohio State likely belongs on that list unless the rating number is wrong.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:19:16 PM by Paelos »

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: December 17, 2014, 06:16:09 AM

Michigan vs Ohio State was only interesting to Michigan and Ohio State fans this year.
If Michigan's next AD doesn't have their head up their ass, maybe The Game will be interesting to an outside audience again. Three years, minimum.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #204 on: December 20, 2014, 01:54:01 PM

Utah is going to blow out Colorado State 64-0 at this pace.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 20, 2014, 05:12:23 PM

I'll take that performance.  Good season overall and hopefully can build next year since we have a lot of talent coming back.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #206 on: December 20, 2014, 05:43:34 PM

I expected Colorado State to show up. So did Vegas for that matter at a 3 point line.

Utah said NAH. The shocking part was the complete domination on defense from the Utes after the first quarter.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 20, 2014, 06:07:58 PM

I don't think they didn't show up. I think the Utes showed how good the Pac-12 South was this year.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #208 on: December 20, 2014, 08:42:16 PM

I don't think they didn't show up. I think the Utes showed how good the Pac-12 South was this year.

Well, the problem I have with that is the amount of explosive plays that Colorado State hadn't given up all year, and they gave them up right in the first quarter. Plus the loss of their coach.

Utah would have won regardless, as they showed they are much better. I just didn't expect it to be that lopsided.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 22, 2014, 05:02:28 PM

Ahahahaha. BYU loses its dogshit bowl and then gets into a huge brawl.  What a bunch of morons.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 College Football  
Jump to: