Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 College Football  (Read 78562 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: February 11, 2014, 04:44:24 PM

I wanted to start the new thread with something random, since we just got past signing day.

Here's that random thing: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/georgia-chris-conley-star-wars/

Chris Conley is shooting an homage to Star Wars. I like this because he's A - UGA player, and B - Star Wars, and C - Coach Richt is actually in it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:38:57 PM

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/new-ncaa-rules-proposal/

Rule change proposals. One, the targetting call will no longer be for 15 yards if it's overturned (common sense should have never allowed this in the first place).

Two, defenses are allowed to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the playclock. That means no more rushing to the line and snapping the ball in the hurry up outside of 2 minutes. I think this is sort of silly because teams rarely snap it that fast. To me it should be 15 seconds, and we should stop this hurry up all game nonsense. It's turned college football into higher scoring affairs than college basketball, with all the rules favoring the quick-tempo, high-powered offenses. It also favors only the best defenses in the league because they are the only ones with front line personnel that can handle it.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:51:26 PM

Wow.  Big fucking deal. 

Northwestern players allowed to unionize

In a statement, NCAA chief legal officer Donald Remy said: "While not a party to the proceeding, the NCAA is disappointed that the NLRB Region 13 determined the Northwestern football team may vote to be considered university employees. We strongly disagree with the notion that student-athletes are employees."

Remy added: "Over the last three years, our member colleges and universities have worked to re-evaluate the current rules. While improvements need to be made, we do not need to completely throw away a system that has helped literally millions of students over the past decade alone attend college. We want student athletes -- 99 percent of whom will never make it to the professional leagues -- focused on what matters most -- finding success in the classroom, on the field and in life."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:00:25 PM

It's only a matter of time. In 40 years we've gone from coaches making 60 grand and getting jobs in the offseason, to million dollar salaries and billion dollar TV networks. They can't keep pretending forever. It's just like the Curt Flood issue, as the money is becoming so big it's immoral.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:33 AM

Yeah, Fuck the NCAA. It's about time their gravy train took it in the pants. They've been running a hypocritical money spinner for decades on the sweat equity of college students with the thin veneer of "an education" and the promise of NFL stardom while paying these kids FUCKALL. These kids sacrifice their bodies and possible future health for bullshit.

WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:02:10 AM

Yeah, Fuck the NCAA. It's about time their gravy train took it in the pants. They've been running a hypocritical money spinner for decades on the sweat equity of college students with the thin veneer of "an education" and the promise of NFL stardom while paying these kids FUCKALL. These kids sacrifice their bodies and possible future health for bullshit.

Agreed. I do worry about what is going to happen to tuition and services for students, however. The money to pay SAs is going to have to come from somewhere, and I am sure the debt will be passed on to the students to service.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:52:26 AM

They might just kill all the non revenue sports that football currently pays for.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:45:43 AM

Which would put everyone in violation of Title IX.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:00:24 PM

They might just kill all the non revenue sports that football currently pays for.

Good. The idea that universities give scholarships for this nonsense on the backs of other kids in order to maintain their 501c3 status is part of the problem.

Spend the money on Title IX sports, and screw the rest of the stuff that doesn't generate cash. If the basketball, baseball, or other men's sports can stand on their own, they don't deserve to exist. Let the money spent/wasted go to things like academic scholarship.

Or better yet, if this makes the sport an actual business that's not part of Title IX, then they have to pay taxes on it. The money that's lost to those athletes can instead go to actual students.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:02:52 PM by Paelos »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 12:48:37 PM

Yeah, hopefully this will end all this nonsense of "amateurism".  Hopefully it will entice all of these schools to drop athletic scholarships, something that probably should have happened a long time ago.  The big time players like Bama, USC, Michigan, OSU, etc. are using these sports as nothing but a cash cow, without any regard whatsoever for the student portion of the student athlete.  The smaller programs are forced to keep up, often by raiding the pocketbooks of the general student population.  It's shameful, really.  And I say this as a HUGE college football fan. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 01:05:53 PM

The NCAA and the NFL need to come together and use all that money to set up a system of football academies like they do in Europe. License the names of the popular universities for the teams and keep the existing draft, but pay the players. Nothing has to change except all this idiotic "student athlete" pretense.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 01:12:44 PM

I doubt that will fly.  The universities have to keep up appearances and there are usually committees involved. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:15:41 PM

The NCAA and the NFL need to come together and use all that money to set up a system of football academies like they do in Europe. License the names of the popular universities for the teams and keep the existing draft, but pay the players. Nothing has to change except all this idiotic "student athlete" pretense.

The problem with this answer is it semi-fucks over the 99% of college football players who never had a chance of making the NFL in the first place. OK, they get a crappy minor league salary for a few years, but now they also don't get a degree?

It's not going to be an easy situation to unravel or solve.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:26 PM

It doesn't have to fuck them over.  The colleges could potentially still offer scholarships, I'd imagine, with the right legal-eze. 

But that would fuck over the universities because those players probably wouldn't be bringing in quite the money that the semi-pros would.

Also, the teams that Haemish is talking about would need a full roster.  It's unlikely that the entire rosters of these teams would end up in the NFL.  The NFL is a different sort of league than the NBA.  It's very common to see players from lower level NCAA an NAIA schools. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 02:02:44 PM

Seems like the NFL/NCAA hybrid could provide a little dosh as scholarship money for the kids that wanted to take it. And yes, it would probably fuck over the ACTUAL student athletes as far as scholarship money. I still think it's a better solution than what currently exists.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 02:07:59 PM

You guys are daffy.

edit:

To clarify: I  just don't see this development leading to the sweeping change you all seem to think will or should happen.  The implications of actually following through with a major change to college athletics would be a gigantic shock to the system that many interested and influential parties will fight tooth and nail against.  At best, we get some "reforms".   I'm not quite sure, personally, that I'm willing to accept the death of collegiate athletics.  I don't see the rest of the nation really swinging that way either.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:32:49 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 02:15:25 PM

Seems like the NFL/NCAA hybrid could provide a little dosh as scholarship money for the kids that wanted to take it. And yes, it would probably fuck over the ACTUAL student athletes as far as scholarship money. I still think it's a better solution than what currently exists.

That is sort of how junior hockey works. The players get housed with local families and some sort of stipend, and also everyone also gets a scholarship for college when they are done with hockey. That frees them up to give their all to playing, and then give their all to school when hockey is over. Certainly not perfect, but more realistic than expecting kids to carry a full course load and then spend 40 hours a week doing athletics.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 02:56:17 PM

The problem with this answer is it semi-fucks over the 99% of college football players who never had a chance of making the NFL in the first place. OK, they get a crappy minor league salary for a few years, but now they also don't get a degree?

It's not going to be an easy situation to unravel or solve.

It's actually pretty easy. It just involves making the schools pay taxes. Make no mistake, the US government is watching how much money is rolling through these athletic departments. The federal government won't protect them for much longer when there is so much potential revenue just lying around.

WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 03:26:13 PM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 03:52:08 PM

I been out of the teaching/grading realm for awhile, but this is pretty similar to what I saw at LSU as a grad student grader. Luckily, my dept wasn't under any pressure to pass this stuff for athletes so these things would either get failed outright or given a chance to rewrite it at a penalty.

Miami was a little better, but not by much.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 07:18:08 PM

My college roommate was a TA for English 101 at the University of Kentucky as part of his PhD program after we graduated.  He lived in fear of having a UK basketball player in his class.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 12:56:39 PM

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/pinellascounty/2014/06/18/bitcoin-bowl-to-replace-beef-o-bradys-bowl/10761937/

Bitcoin Bowl.

No I'm not kidding. Bowls have jumped the shark as of this moment.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 01:24:13 PM

Wow. Just... wow.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 01:25:44 PM

I know why this is happening. With the new college playoff, advertisers are now realizing that sponsoring these stupid bowls is a lose-lose for them. They don't want their names associated with anything that has no meaning.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

The non-BCS bowl games pre-playoffs had no meaning either so I'm not sure how switching to the playoff system changes that.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 09:07:36 AM

The non-BCS bowl games pre-playoffs had no meaning either so I'm not sure how switching to the playoff system changes that.

Perception and timing. The idea of fans getting a playoff makes these minor bowls even more useless in the minds of the fans. Before, they were all equally silly except for one game. Now? There's an established week-to-week hierarchy that will play out. It's not just one game, it's a series of games with a time gap. It will render all other discussions and games worthless in that period.

That and the recent scandals surrouding bowls, the huge commitments to tickets that programs can't afford, and the attendance losses in college football as a whole? I think they will all combine to push out these lower tiered bowl games economically. Schools won't want to take the bid. Only the crap schools will, further lowering the take.

Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 05:40:36 PM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 06:17:01 PM

Gonna be fun. I actually like Mississippi State in the West to shock quite a few folks, I think Alabama struggles hard with their QB issues and defensive youth. Auburn caught everyone by surprise last year, but this year they won't sneak up on a soul.

Alabama might win the West, but it won't be unscathed if they do. I'll go out on a limb and say the West is down this year with people wonder what happened, while the East improves a lot and people wonder how Tennessee got this much better this fast (I think Butch Jones is a great coach).

I'm going to hope Georgia doesn't fuck up. I hope that every year. I've been wrong every year since 2005.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 07:47:14 PM

Wow.  Big fucking deal. 

Northwestern players allowed to unionize

In a statement, NCAA chief legal officer Donald Remy said: "While not a party to the proceeding, the NCAA is disappointed that the NLRB Region 13 determined the Northwestern football team may vote to be considered university employees. We strongly disagree with the notion that student-athletes are employees."

Remy added: "Over the last three years, our member colleges and universities have worked to re-evaluate the current rules. While improvements need to be made, we do not need to completely throw away a system that has helped literally millions of students over the past decade alone attend college. We want student athletes -- 99 percent of whom will never make it to the professional leagues -- focused on what matters most -- finding success in the classroom, on the field and in life."

That's awesome.  Nice to see the Big 10 leading in something other than cheating. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 06:04:10 AM

NCAA voted for autonomy for the Big 5 conferences. This marks the end of college football as we know it if it holds up.

If it means teams in the bigger conferences will only play each other. I'm for it. If it means they will still schedule 3 cupcakes a year while getting more money, fuck em. I'll give up my season tickets if this shit doesn't change quickly with the new playoff and new rules. I can watch this stuff on TV for free and not pay $1000 a season to watch Georgia play three meaningful home games.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 08:32:02 AM

Hopefully this is the first step to those 5 conferences forming some kind of super semi-pro league rather than being money and attention drains on our higher education system.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 11:45:45 PM

They can't really do that because of Title IX.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:27 AM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 01:53:47 PM

Woooooooooooooooo College Football is here. Going in an hour to watch the Utes beat the living crap out of Idaho State!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 04:10:36 PM

I have tickets to Cal-Sac State next weekend. I'm kind of worried.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 College Football  
Jump to: