Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Heroes of the Storm [a.k.a Blizzard DoTA] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes of the Storm [a.k.a Blizzard DoTA]  (Read 139338 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: February 17, 2015, 08:42:33 PM

It works later in the game when the damage outpaces the regen.  So it does eventually represent a clock, but right when you get it at level 20 it doesn't get through.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: February 17, 2015, 11:19:16 PM

And napalm is amazing. Whenever I play Hammer I barely spend any time in seige mode - it's not worth it in team fights.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: February 18, 2015, 07:56:05 AM

I was level 1 and clueless as to what I was doing, so factor that in.  And we did push - they screwed up, we got a merc camp and a few of us made it to the 1/3 health core and took it out.

I'm not saying it's a good strategy, just funny that something like this is in the game.  I liked it because it helped beat an over-confident team that was more focused on getting player kills than finishing the game.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: February 18, 2015, 05:08:44 PM

I was level 1 and clueless as to what I was doing, so factor that in.  And we did push - they screwed up, we got a merc camp and a few of us made it to the 1/3 health core and took it out.

I'm not saying it's a good strategy, just funny that something like this is in the game.  I liked it because it helped beat an over-confident team that was more focused on getting player kills than finishing the game.
It's actually hella cool and fairly amusing, and good work on the win. One of the things I love about HotS is the permanent ultimates. With Sgt Hammer, you'll find it's fantastic for taking out keeps but it won't break through the Core's shields until much later in the game.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:08:33 AM by Sophismata »

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: February 18, 2015, 05:20:40 PM

I have a steady group of guys that play Quick matches almost every night.  If you want to join us, we could always use 1 or 2 more people. 

My Battle.net name is Karp#1741

In game: Karp

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: February 20, 2015, 12:50:35 PM

I have a beta code if anyone was wanting to play without paying $40 or whatever it is.  First one to send me a PM gets it.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:09 PM

Code is gone now.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: February 20, 2015, 05:36:56 PM

I have a steady group of guys that play Quick matches almost every night.  If you want to join us, we could always use 1 or 2 more people. 

My Battle.net name is Karp#1741

In game: Karp
I added you a couple of days ago. Sophismata #6396

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: February 20, 2015, 06:06:21 PM

I like how this game already has a competitive scene even though I'm pretty sure its in beta.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: February 20, 2015, 06:48:22 PM

I like how this game already has a competitive scene even though I'm pretty sure its in beta.

Why is this remarkable at all?  See also: DOTA 2.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: February 24, 2015, 09:55:01 AM

Any of our Euro folks playing in the evenings?
schild
Administrator

Reply #431 on: February 24, 2015, 07:06:28 PM

Is the competitive scene the rough equivalent of these fine young lads?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #432 on: February 28, 2015, 12:09:42 AM

Just got in the beta and I can say that schild's picture there isn't far off. It's like LOL with training wheels and padded corners.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: February 28, 2015, 07:32:07 AM

Just got in the beta and I can say that schild's picture there isn't far off. It's like LOL with training wheels and padded corners.

It is better than it seems at first, IMO.  Where Dota and LoL smack you right off the bat with massive lists of a hundred champions and a thousand items, HotS is the opposite, restricting what you can do and use.  There is complexity there, but they don't let you see it at first.

That said, it's not going to appeal to EVERYONE or anything.  But I'd suggest waiting at least until you have a character to level 4 (when all the talents unlock) before you write it off for good.  A lot of the mechanics just didn't click for me until I played a few games and could see where certain tradeoffs were or how talents in general functioned.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: February 28, 2015, 08:52:49 AM

You're wrong.  Very wrong.  

At the highest levels, this game is VERY competitive.  The matches become a frantic race for objectives and teamfighting.  You're always moving all over the map and one small positioning error will quickly snowball a match.  If you're very good at twitch, strategy, and positioning you'll find no shortage of competition in HotS.  The biggest issue the game currently faces is hero balance and a huge skill gap among the playerbase.  The current MM is poorly designed as well and often drops low skill players in with high skill players leading to massive frustration.  Since the game is all about team comp and cooperation, any deviation from team play will kill you.

I currently bounce between gold and platinum in MMR rating and find the level of competition to be quite stiff.  I definitely can't hang with the diamond/master players and realize this because they show up often in my matches when I've had a decent win streak.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:03:16 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #435 on: February 28, 2015, 01:56:38 PM

I'm not saying it's bad yet... it's just that the start out, the complexity is miles lower than LOL. It does seem to require being more mobile than LOL, with much less calcified meta/lane play. I must be much better at MOBA than I thought, though, because at the level I was playing last night, I was crushing actual people. Of course, I just hit level 4, so I'm sure there's much n00bness.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: February 28, 2015, 02:05:17 PM

I'm not saying it's bad yet... it's just that the start out, the complexity is miles lower than LOL.

You know how WoT seems really simple on the surface but isn't?  That.  

It lacks all of the micromanaging that LoL does, but makes up for it with different maps, constantly changing objectives, and dedication to teamwork and communication.  HotS is more like MMO pvp than it is like a MOBA.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:07:47 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: February 28, 2015, 04:13:59 PM

I'm not saying it's bad yet... it's just that the start out, the complexity is miles lower than LOL.

You know how WoT seems really simple on the surface but isn't?  That.  

It lacks all of the micromanaging that LoL does, but makes up for it with different maps, constantly changing objectives, and dedication to teamwork and communication.  HotS is more like MMO pvp than it is like a MOBA.
It seems a lot simpler because there are less mechanics to worry about - level, money and items are either not there or seem irrelevant. But as you play you realise all that complexity has been moved to map itself (and also levels end up being very relevant).

Teamwork and communication are key, mostly because the game has a large number of decision points that involve your team and not just your lane. The laning phase, if you even had one, is over in minutes and the game moves to map-wide plays like objectives, pushes and counters.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:16:01 PM by Sophismata »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: February 28, 2015, 04:27:02 PM

The problem is, if you are playing with randoms that the strategic depth is mostly or entirely lost and you hope you get a team just barely more with their shit together than the opposing team.  But we've gone over this before in this thread.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: February 28, 2015, 04:53:34 PM

The problem is, if you are playing with randoms that the strategic depth is mostly or entirely lost and you hope you get a team just barely more with their shit together than the opposing team.  But we've gone over this before in this thread.
Absolutely agreed. I think we segued into this from a comment about competitive play, though.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

Of course, I just hit level 4, so I'm sure there's much n00bness.

Shoot me a tell if you see me on.  You get bonus xp for grouping with people on your friends list.

-  Mark Twain
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: March 01, 2015, 04:42:13 PM

Don't underestimate the passive healing. It means even shit players end up contributing, and as an AoE heal it is phenomenal during pushes (as it heals creeps and mercs).

Ooh, does it?  I was not aware, tooltip just mentions heroes.  That is pretty vicious, then.
I was wrong on this, by the way. It only heals heroes. Don't know why I thought it used to heal creeps.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #442 on: March 01, 2015, 08:39:34 PM

People are really really bad at this game. I just played 3 games in a row where the match didn't even really seem competitive. It took me a few games to realize that there is no laning phase as such, it's much more important to go after the camps/objectives (such as the doubloons on the pirate map) than to do anything with minions except defend if they get too close.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: March 01, 2015, 08:54:55 PM

People are really really bad at this game. I just played 3 games in a row where the match didn't even really seem competitive. It took me a few games to realize that there is no laning phase as such, it's much more important to go after the camps/objectives (such as the doubloons on the pirate map) than to do anything with minions except defend if they get too close.
Yeah, it's a real issue. The game also heavily favours aggression, and oft times a team being slammed will just let enemy heroes walk all over the map, and consequently lose any real hope of catching up.

When you're on the back foot, wait for your opponents to get cocky and slam them - hit them hard and move on to objectives having turned a 5v5 into a 5v4 or 5v3. The even math in this game means pretty much any lone hero will melt under focus fire from 3-4 others.

The frustration I often feel playing HotS comes from being unable to carry a bad team when they refuse to pull their heads out of their asses. (Particularly now that games are all recorded and win rates are tracked).

I used to get frustrated by those players that sit and farm creeps all game. They seem to operate under the mistaken impression it will make them über, but none of the scaling damage talents are worth it except for (arguably) Azmodan's. Fortunately I don't see that too much anymore.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:59:20 AM by Sophismata »

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: March 02, 2015, 01:02:48 AM

New post - new complaint.

Matchmaking. When you get given 4 wannabe assassins and are versing a lineup with 2 support you know that it's probably going to be a 2 - 30 game.

I was finally on the reverse side of that and it was hilarious. I was playing Raynor and I could faceroll the enemy team (walk right into their base "orb-walking" them). They'd have to run or die. My "passive" heal went off only once (maybe twice) that whole game.

Even when Diablo would lightning breath I could easily tank it and kill him thanks to Malf and Reghar's support.

I definitely prefer playing assassins and support in pubs because they usually are self-reliant enough to impact the battle and get away under their own power. Whereas playing a warrior half the time I engage, it seems my assassin teammates have decided to turn around and fuck off to fight lane creeps.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:07:04 AM by Sophismata »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: March 02, 2015, 06:41:23 AM

New post - new complaint.

Matchmaking. When you get given 4 wannabe assassins and are versing a lineup with 2 support you know that it's probably going to be a 2 - 30 game.

I won't play quick match solo for this reason.  The MM will put a 2 tank + 2 support group against a 4 assassin group often.  Team build matters.  A lot.

-  Mark Twain
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: March 04, 2015, 11:33:18 PM

Keys gone.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:36:44 PM by Sophismata »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:10 AM

I have 3 beta keys for this if anyone wants to try it out.

I'll take one!
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: March 05, 2015, 01:52:08 AM

I have 3 beta keys for this if anyone wants to try it out.

I'll take one!
Sent.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: March 05, 2015, 02:54:40 AM

I am most thankful.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: March 05, 2015, 11:41:26 AM

Still have a key?
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: March 05, 2015, 02:03:25 PM

I am most thankful.
You are most welcome :)

Still have a key?
Yes, and that's the last of them. Sent and done.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: March 10, 2015, 12:42:16 AM

I have 4 keys, PM me for them. Keep in mind that I'm in an Aussie Timezone.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: March 10, 2015, 01:13:24 AM

Lately my solo queues have been fairly horrifying. I seem to get matched with 3 idiots + 1 average player against a fairly average team, resulting in a very one-sided battle (where we lose). It didn't help that I had to was playing a warrior for many of those games.

It is still immensely frustrating to have a team that won't co-ordinate, help out other nearby heroes in distress or converge on key objectives. And then they turn into pussies after getting picked apart and the EXP gap becomes almost insurmountable.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #454 on: March 10, 2015, 10:18:20 AM

I became one of those bad players I mentioned when I changed characters to Malfurion. Totally did not get the hang of support in the two games I played. SUCKED SO HARD. Dampened what scant enthusiasm I had for the game.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Heroes of the Storm [a.k.a Blizzard DoTA]  
Jump to: