Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:40:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor  (Read 484873 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: July 22, 2014, 05:38:45 AM

Am I the only one peeved that an Orc said "kinda" or is acting like a bashful teen in medieval high as fuck fantasy?

If you think that's bad, don't bother reading any of the quest text while leveling in Azeroth 1-60. The Cats revamp was the mass-start of that BS.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: July 22, 2014, 06:04:44 AM

I....I hope Thrall senpai will notice me......

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #982 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:12 AM

Am I the only one peeved that an Orc said "kinda" or is acting like a bashful teen in medieval high as fuck fantasy?
Try "pseudo-medieval, absolutely overloaded with pointless pop culture references fantasy" and suddenly it seems to fit right there.
Wizgar
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: July 23, 2014, 02:01:58 PM

When it comes to Blizzard lore, this describes the state in which it's written as well as the state in which it's best consumed. I just can't imagine giving a shit about it.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #984 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:45 PM

I used to. God help me, I used to.  swamp poop
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #985 on: July 24, 2014, 07:55:10 AM

It's becoming pretty pointless to even shit on the lore at this point. It's gone from subjectively bad to mostly accepted as bad. Now it's been objectively defined by the Blizzard staff as not that important. The argument is dead.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: July 24, 2014, 10:32:06 AM

Does that mean you'll stop bitching about it?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #987 on: July 24, 2014, 10:37:18 AM

Does that mean you'll stop bitching about it?

Does that mean you'll stop being a trolly fanboi?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: July 24, 2014, 02:19:43 PM

I used to. God help me, I used to.  swamp poop

Same.  Though I was way more into the Eastern Kingdom lore then the hippy, happy bull-men of Kalimdor and the purple elfs.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: July 24, 2014, 05:32:47 PM

I got a beta key today.  I'll check and see if things are as bad I've heard.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #990 on: July 24, 2014, 08:01:26 PM

I got a beta key today.  I'll check and see if things are as bad I've heard.

I'm interested to see what you think.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: July 25, 2014, 11:57:22 AM

Even the bloggers who are usually relentless cheerleaders for the game have seemed pretty negative about the WoD beta. It's not even usually related to the WoD controversies that this thread has covered: flying, dungeon difficulty, ability pruning, the stat revamp, etc.

The questing content just seems to be falling flat for most testers. Garrisons didn't turn out the way most people wanted and are very limited compared to what was originally outlined. The storyline seems to be as dumb as the initial reveal implied.

This is pretty in-line with the sort of posting I've been seeing about the beta:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/07/21/wows-warlords-of-draenor-beta-the-disappointment-of-garrisons/
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #992 on: July 25, 2014, 12:13:37 PM

That's a pretty bleak review of garrisons.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: July 25, 2014, 12:34:58 PM

It is bleak and sounds like of lame, but I don't recall garrisons ever being billled as what that guy wanted. I don't recall anything about decorating and setting up something "your own". That description sounds pretty close to what I expected when I first heard about garrisons.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: July 25, 2014, 12:50:09 PM

Upcoming new WOD features:

New races? ....nope.
New classes? ....nope.
Slightly different quest hub?  Check!

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: July 25, 2014, 01:12:36 PM

It is bleak and sounds like of lame, but I don't recall garrisons ever being billled as what that guy wanted. I don't recall anything about decorating and setting up something "your own". That description sounds pretty close to what I expected when I first heard about garrisons.

Original announcement at Blizzcon was that Garrisons were the "WoW version of housing". If you compare that against the final product as outlined in the Massively post, it doesn't really resemble any sort of housing system. You can't place your Garrison in a choice of zones anymore: it's one spot in one zone, one very boilerplate cosmetic set of buildings (human or orc), and your choice of two functional buildings per plot which boil down to which extra ability you want to have while questing in a new zone.

I think if you compare the current version to Blizzard's own break-down of Garrisons from 2013, you'll see that most of the "personalized" or (imo) interesting parts of the system have been cut out or stripped down. What's left is the Pandaria farm system linked into WoW's normal questing.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: July 25, 2014, 01:27:14 PM

I think if you compare the current version to Blizzard's own break-down of Garrisons from 2013, you'll see that most of the "personalized" or (imo) interesting parts of the system have been cut out or stripped down. What's left is the Pandaria farm system linked into WoW's normal questing.

I'm not seeing anything in that Blizzard promo to suggest anything like what that guy's complaining about missing. As a matter of fact, that sounds like it's being delivered as advertised.

About the only thing that sounds like it's not there from the promo is that the Massively guy seems to suggest that recruited followers don't show up in your garrison.

In particular, that promo says nothing about decorating other than placing buildings and choosing a "spec" for the building which changes the decor.

This is all they have to say about decor.

Quote from: Blizzard ad promo
Garrisons are visually distinct depending on whether you’re a Horde or Alliance player, and you’ll be able to place your Garrison in one of several zones on Draenor. You’ll also specify your Garrison’s layout (the physical location of buildings within your Garrison’s walls), and select the buildings you’d like to include. Choosing to “spec” your buildings (more on that below) will also change cosmetic aspects of those buildings, like furniture types and decorations, in addition to imparting different gameplay effects.

Everything mentioned there seems to be in from the Massively post. Nothing in there about decorating on your own.
Wizgar
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: July 25, 2014, 01:28:47 PM

But but but, you'll get to see and interact with epic characters like... uh... er... I haven't played the first two WC games in over a fucking decade so how should I know who the fuck any of these guys are? Who cares? The plot to this xpack alone should have told you that they're completely creatively bankrupt. Someone needs to tell Metzen that no, we're not super excited about getting to see some guy who was a 16 pixel high sprite during the Clinton years.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: July 25, 2014, 01:36:12 PM

I'm not seeing anything in that Blizzard promo to suggest anything like what that guy's complaining about missing. As a matter of fact, that sounds like it's being delivered as advertised.

About the only thing that sounds like it's not there from the promo is that the Massively guy seems to suggest that recruited followers don't show up in your garrison.

In particular, that promo says nothing about decorating other than placing buildings and choosing a "spec" for the building which changes the decor.

This is all they have to say about decor.

Quote from: Blizzard ad promo
Garrisons are visually distinct depending on whether you’re a Horde or Alliance player, and you’ll be able to place your Garrison in one of several zones on Draenor. You’ll also specify your Garrison’s layout (the physical location of buildings within your Garrison’s walls), and select the buildings you’d like to include. Choosing to “spec” your buildings (more on that below) will also change cosmetic aspects of those buildings, like furniture types and decorations, in addition to imparting different gameplay effects.

Everything mentioned there seems to be in from the Massively post. Nothing in there about decorating on your own.

I believe the "spec your buildings" stuff has been cut out. The ability to place your garrison in your favorite zone is gone. The only choices you have for the functional (large plot) buildings are between 2 in each plot, and their only impact is on which extra ability you get to use while in the zone.

In broad strokes, they are still delivering on most of what they promised (well, aside from zone choice) but all the personalized touches they mentioned have been stripped out. This isn't "your personal fort", this is Human Fort A or B (or Orc Fort A or B, if you're horde).

I'm not playing/interested in the beta, so maybe there are more customizable touches I'm missing, but that isn't the impression I get from people who are in the beta. You will have very, very few choices on how to customize your garrison and your garrison is not going to look much different from anyone else's on your faction. That's pretty disappointing for what was one of the only new features in the expansion.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #999 on: July 25, 2014, 01:41:17 PM

I still find it weird apparently no one at Blizzard believes, after all this time, that players really do like customization for the sake of customization and that it really does give people a sense of ownership. And that people have been asking for housing because they like customizing shit.

God Save the Horn Players
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2014, 01:43:47 PM

Bleat little lambies you are being shorn.

"Me am play gods"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2014, 01:47:52 PM

I still find it weird apparently no one at Blizzard believes, after all this time, that players really do like customization for the sake of customization and that it really does give people a sense of ownership. And that people have been asking for housing because they like customizing shit.

Especially given the success of something like DOTA 2 that, while a totally different genre, has proven that a game can rake in loads of cash essentially by ONLY asking people to pay to customize. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1002 on: July 25, 2014, 02:04:40 PM

Customization is for womenz. Blizzard knows real brodudes don't play dressup.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1003 on: July 25, 2014, 02:19:47 PM

Ha, that probably really is at least some of the reasoning.  why so serious?

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: July 25, 2014, 02:25:13 PM

Beta spoiler: Yes they do.

That article is #2 of 3. #1 of 3 was spent complaining that the linear tutorial for L90s is both linear and a tutorial. It's either click-bait or Paelos is writing for Massively now.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1005 on: July 25, 2014, 02:28:27 PM

The last thing Massively wants is for Draenor to fail, it would hurt their business too. So I don't think there's a lot of strategic incentive for them to make stuff up for clickbait.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1006 on: July 26, 2014, 02:40:03 PM

I guess the plot stuff is coming out and apparently at the end of the leveling content you fight Garrosh, fakewin, he stuns you, then Thrall shows up and saves you by challenging him to an honor duel in which he ends up killing Garrosh. Also I guess they might actually have characters start remembering you and giving you more than the time of day since apparently you start being recognized as a major lore character instead of "that guy".

Well instead of that guy, everyone just calls you "Commander <foo>" now. Has to be a Wrex joke in there somewhere.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: July 26, 2014, 02:49:06 PM

Not major enough to actually win something on your own though, I guess.

Over and out.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: July 26, 2014, 03:02:00 PM

Only Green Jesus can do important things.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1009 on: July 26, 2014, 09:10:16 PM

Why, why can't Thrall jog up after you win and go, "Holy shit, nice job" instead? Why?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: July 27, 2014, 03:55:55 AM

I call it the 'Elminster Factor'.  That's when 'celebrity' NPC's are more important than PC's in a RPG setting. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: July 27, 2014, 06:57:56 AM

Why, why can't Thrall jog up after you win and go, "Holy shit, nice job" instead? Why?
Metzen-sue.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1012 on: July 27, 2014, 10:52:12 AM

I guess it just strikes me as weird because it would be so easy to not constantly undermine your supposed heroism at every supposedly-big lore moment?

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: July 27, 2014, 12:39:53 PM

That gives the player agency in the overall lore. When history looks back on those moments for future product developments, the players don't exist.

Onyxia's first defeat was attributed to comic book characters. I recall at least one or two instances where major lore characters have recognized the players' contribution, but it doesn't really have as much impact. Far more vivid in memory is the lore characters as the responsible parties, in some cases sole responsibility.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1014 on: July 27, 2014, 02:04:11 PM

Giving the "real" kill to a lore character in a stupid comic is less annoying, because who gives a shit about the comics. But it gets pretty ridiculous for the game to pull kills out from under their players again and again. It's the way they frame it, mostly. It doesn't feel very heroic or like a victory when you have NPCs elbowing into the scene to get the "real" win. I didn't like when it happened with the Lich King, and I doubt it's gotten any better feeling in any of the instances it occurs after that.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor  
Jump to: