Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor  (Read 484785 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #210 on: November 22, 2013, 07:38:36 AM

It's not like I don't agree with the lack of good female characters, but why is this suddenly an issue? How many prominent female characters are there in WoW?
A pretty small fraction compared to the males, they did feature Jaina Proudmoore a fair bit last expansion on the alliance side.  Of course they also turned her from a sane, level headed person who could rise above petty jingoism unlike all the stupid men into a semi psychotic bitch killing anyone who gets in her way.

Last expansion was Thrall's girlfriend who was basically just playing a loyal wife/baby maker...

I would resub for an expansion that was based around Sylvanas redeeming herself, that Metzen has no role in.  Judging by the way they are reusing old content maybe that will be the next expansion where alternate outland leads to alternate Northrend and the Lich King needs to be defeated, again.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:41:02 AM by Miasma »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: November 22, 2013, 07:49:12 AM

Judging by the way they are reusing old content maybe that will be the next expansion where alternate outland leads to alternate Northrend and the Lich King needs to be defeated, again.

This would be the most hilarious and fitting way for WoW to proceed: Metzen unable to move beyond his love affair with his terrible, one-dimensional creations.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: November 22, 2013, 07:54:05 AM

At the end of the expansion, the Alt-Draenor Dark Portal jumps from linking to Azeroth-prime to Alt-Azeroth...where, as the Horde didn't invade, the Burning Legion used Plan B: The Scourge.

Now join up with King Arthas, Prince Kael'Thas (and his loyal Ranger-General Sylvanas Windrunner) and Falstad Wildhammer, Thane of the Wildhammer dwarves as they frantically scramble to defend the last remaning kingdoms of the living from the rampant Scourge ruled by Lich King Anduin Lothar, then aid in the counter-attack besieging the tomb-city of Ironforge and the catacombs beneath the ruins of Stormwind, known only as The Undercity.

(There is so much more potential in an alt-history Azeroth)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #213 on: November 22, 2013, 12:53:16 PM

It's not like I don't agree with the lack of good female characters, but why is this suddenly an issue? How many prominent female characters are there in WoW?

It's not suddenly an issue. It's suddenly that it's vocalized enough that you're hearing it.

Or: water doesn't boil the second you turn the heat on high.

Yep. People have been complaining about this almost as long as I can remember some way or another (mostly about how Tyrande got turned from an assertive, if stupid, leader into a nonentity in the early days, if I remember right). And it's one of those things where it might not bother someone at first (like in Vanilla, you could rationalize it that well, there weren't that many women characters to start with, and they need to lay the This Is Warcraft foundation first) but over time gets more obvious, more annoying, and harder to excuse (they've had plenty of time to up the decent female character count and they still keep not doing it).

To be fair, it bothers me less in WoW because, as Zetor said, Metzen can't write anything.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #214 on: November 22, 2013, 01:02:52 PM

And they still stubbornly believe they only need the one "writer."

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: November 22, 2013, 01:04:20 PM

I don't think a lot of people play for the lore, but it REALLY could use a few decent writers.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: November 22, 2013, 01:12:45 PM

Lore was something I tried to like in the game, and it wasn't too bad through Wrath.  I mean yeah, it still had the Metzen Mary Sue problems, but not nearly as bad as what's happened from Cataclysm on.

Over and out.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: November 22, 2013, 01:38:21 PM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #218 on: November 22, 2013, 02:57:21 PM

It's not suddenly an issue. It's suddenly that it's vocalized enough that you're hearing it.

Or: water doesn't boil the second you turn the heat on high.

Yep. People have been complaining about this almost as long as I can remember some way or another (mostly about how Tyrande got turned from an assertive, if stupid, leader into a nonentity in the early days, if I remember right). And it's one of those things where it might not bother someone at first (like in Vanilla, you could rationalize it that well, there weren't that many women characters to start with, and they need to lay the This Is Warcraft foundation first) but over time gets more obvious, more annoying, and harder to excuse (they've had plenty of time to up the decent female character count and they still keep not doing it).

To be fair, it bothers me less in WoW because, as Zetor said, Metzen can't write anything.

What has always amused me is this;  Point to ONE known female at Blizzard. Now point to two.  Can you make it to three?  How many of those have you seen at a Blizzcon, ever, or on panels, ever?

It should be surprising to nobody that this company (or most game companies) can't write or maintain realistic females.  It suffers from manchild woman-hater club more than any profession save construction and even that one is starting to clean itself up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: November 22, 2013, 03:10:49 PM

One doesn't have to be surprised about something that bothers them to speak out against it.

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #220 on: November 22, 2013, 03:45:04 PM

Yeah, I doubt anyone going rabblerabble is surprised. Just sick of being expected to put up with it. And hey ... it shouldn't surprise anyone that people are out of patience for it.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #221 on: November 22, 2013, 09:12:28 PM

I'm for anything that gets Metzen fired or off the project.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: November 22, 2013, 09:34:37 PM

What has always amused me is this;  Point to ONE known female at Blizzard. Now point to two.  Can you make it to three?  How many of those have you seen at a Blizzcon, ever, or on panels, ever?

Caydiem. Hunter representative. She was possibly the only Blizzard rep that was passionate about representing hunters in their god-awful days.

They fired promoted her

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #223 on: December 09, 2013, 09:58:24 AM

It should be surprising to nobody that this company (or most game companies) can't write or maintain realistic females.  It suffers from manchild woman-hater club more than any profession save construction and even that one is starting to clean itself up.

Peter: Let me ask you something. When you're writing an x-pac at work and does someone ever make Tyrande Whisperwind kind of useless lore-candy for a male character, just .. you know, shunt her to the background for the sake of a male character's progression?

Lawrence: No. No, man. Shit, no. Man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked, writin' somethin' like that, man.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: January 17, 2014, 10:50:27 AM

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/12426481

It’s the New Year, and 2014 is going to be a big one for World of Warcraft. This November marks the game’s 10-year anniversary and the 20-year anniversary of the entire Warcraft series. We’re looking forward to celebrating these milestones with everyone, but in the meantime, we’ve got a few Warlords of Draenor–related updates to share.

Preparing for Battle
At BlizzCon, we laid out our plans to send you into battle against some of the biggest and baddest enemies in Warcraft history. While the Iron Horde gears up for war on Draenor, back here on earth we’re making preparations for the expansion’s upcoming closed beta test. If you’d like to be considered, now’s a great time to make sure you’re opted in to Warcraft betas and that the hardware specs in your Beta Profile are up to date. (Full instructions can be found here.)

Report from the Front Lines
From the outset, players will find themselves hurled into a chaotic conflict with the Iron Horde at a new Dark Portal on Draenor. The situation for Azeroth is grim, and the war effort needs heroes—from new recruits to retired champions to warriors still tending wounds earned at the Siege of Orgrimmar. To get everyone straight to the action, when you buy the expansion, it will come with a boost to level 90 for one character on your WoW account. We’re getting ready to test the functionality for that on the PTR, and we wanted to provide a quick update on how it will work with the upcoming expansion presales.

Warlords of Draenor will be available for pre-purchase digitally Soon™, and we’re once again planning to have standard digital and Digital Deluxe versions (along with a physical Collector’s Edition—more on that at a later date). This time, if you pre-purchase the Digital Deluxe edition you’ll get your exclusive World of Warcraft pet and mount right away, allowing you to bring a little bit of Draenor past into Azeroth present.

In addition, when you pre-purchase either digital version, we’re going to grant you your level-90 boost at the time of pre-purchase. That’s a little different from the plan we laid out at BlizzCon, but based on the feedback, it’s obvious that many of you would like the chance to get acquainted with a new class before heading into the expansion. This will also give more players the opportunity to experience the current end-game content and the events leading up to Garrosh’s exodus to Draenor. Maybe you’ll get your Legendary cloak from Wrathion and level 90–100 Heirloom weapon in the process.

Bolster the Ranks
We’ve also heard feedback from players that they’d be interested in boosting multiple characters to 90, including alts they play with friends on other factions and realms. We’ve been evaluating ways to make that possible without having players go through roundabout methods (such as purchasing multiple boxes and performing multiple character transfers), and in the near future we’ll be testing out a feature that gives you the option to purchase a character upgrade directly. We’ll have more information to share later—including details on our character-upgrade plans for Asian regions where players don’t buy expansion boxes—but you’ll start seeing pieces of the process soon on the PTR, so keep an eye out.

We’re looking forward to the closed beta test, and we’re excited we’re able to give players their character boost immediately upon pre-purchasing—hopefully that will help tide you over while you’re waiting for the epic battle for Draenor to begin. Stay tuned for more information on presales and our beta plans, and we hope you’ll join in and help us test this stuff out when it hits the PTR.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #225 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56:58 AM

They managed to tell us all about monetization of the game, and almost nothing about the xpac itself.

That bodes well...

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #226 on: January 17, 2014, 11:00:13 AM

Caydiem. Hunter representative. She was possibly the only Blizzard rep that was passionate about representing hunters in their god-awful days.

They fired promoted her

Caydiem works on Wildstar now, fwiw.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: January 17, 2014, 11:53:27 AM

They managed to tell us all about monetization of the game, and almost nothing about the xpac itself.

That bodes well...

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:45 PM

That bodes well...

Well, they told us the digital pre-orders for the xpac would give us instant free 90s and mounts/pets, so that seems like a pretty substantial announcement. Sucks if you planned to buy a physical CE, but I guess making digital purchases where Blizzard gets a much larger slice of the pie more appealing is the point.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: January 17, 2014, 02:04:18 PM

Heheheheh.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: January 17, 2014, 02:22:08 PM

"As soon as we can figure out how to gouge you to raise each toon to 90 to skip our BS content we'll get back to you."
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: January 17, 2014, 06:53:56 PM

Am I reading this right? In Eve you pay a subscription to level while not playing the game. In WoW you pay a subscription and a fee to level while not playing the game.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #232 on: January 17, 2014, 07:44:23 PM

"As soon as we can figure out how to gouge you to raise each toon to 90 to skip our BS content we'll get back to you."
They have figured it out, they just don't know how much to charge for it...

Am I reading this right? In Eve you pay a subscription to level while not playing the game. In WoW you pay a subscription and a fee to level while not playing the game.
I guess it could be compared to EvE if ccp started selling one million skillpoint booster packs for twenty bucks a pop.  Actually wow, why aren't they doing that?  I imagine the legal buying/selling of pilots is enough.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: January 18, 2014, 02:45:00 AM

Looks like Blizzard may be testing the waters of paid character boosts to 90:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/31/5261372/world-of-warcraft-survey-asks-about-character-upgrades-annual-passes

They need to do something. The thought of having to drag another character to 90 makes me ill.
Anyone who didn't see this coming after the single freebie announced for WoD is dumb as hell.

Awful lot of dumb people ITT.  awesome, for real

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: January 23, 2014, 12:46:01 PM

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/12426480/artcraft-a-first-look-1-23-2014

Hi, I’m Chris Robinson, senior art director of World of Warcraft, and this is the first in a series of articles we're creating to bring you all closer to the development of the player character model revamps we announced at BlizzCon. In this series, we'll give you an inside look at the process we go through to do one of these revamps, discuss the kinds of art issues we're addressing with the new models, and provide a bit of insight our future plans for their continued polish.

We're happy to begin our series by sharing a first look at where we're at with the Human female. While future articles won’t always be about revealing a new model, we thought this would be a great introduction to the approach we take for every one of these redesigns.

We’re looking at these model revamps as a sort of “spiritual update” to the art content that currently exists in-game—except we’re completely redoing them from scratch. That includes the base model, skin tone variations, customization options (e.g. wrinkles, scars, moles, earrings, etc.), hairstyles, and any skin variations for NPCs you see out in the world, like Iron Dwarves or Leper Gnomes. We’re pretty excited about some of the ideas you've given us for new customization and skin options you’d like to see, but our first goal—which is already a monumental endeavor—is to make sure that the visual content that currently exists is brought up to or surpasses the level of quality you see in current boss models, the Pandaren, and central NPCs like the new Vol’jin model.

With the revamp, we’re completely overhauling every aspect of the player models, but our goal is to do so while retaining the core look and feel that has always made them your character. We'll feel like we've succeeded if you see the updated version of your character and it still feels like you’re looking at the character you’ve been playing for the past however many years—only someone has finally focused a lens.

To achieve this, we’re increasing the polygon count significantly (in some cases going from less than 1,000 to over 5,000), more than doubling the texture resolution, increasing bone count significantly to support updated animation and facial expression, and retouching nearly every animation for all of the characters. For animation alone, that’s roughly 180 animations per character, times 10 races in both male and female variants, equaling approximately 3,600 animations. We’re also incorporating the rigging technology we introduced with the Pandaren into every character to provide better posing, smoother animation, and the ability to pull off some fantastic facial expressions. In the weeks and months ahead, we’re going to be bringing you in for a closer look at some of the processes, challenges, and results of this revamp process.

What you’re looking at here for the Human female is a single face option and a single skin tone on the base model without any animation or posing. When developing the base model we keep the expression on the face as devoid of emotion or expression as possible, as that allows our animators a greater range of motion when they start posing and morphing the face into different expressions. If we were to put any amount of expression—even a slight smile or mildly angry eyebrows—in the base model, that would carry through to every animation, and we'd end up with some very confused-looking characters.

Joe Keller is a senior character artist on our team and was responsible for the lion’s share of modeling and texturing the Human female. Here's what he had this to say about this challenge:

“Everyone is pretty familiar with the Human character models in WoW, but working on these updates gives us a chance to embellish and fill in the blanks. For the Human female this meant we could give her more muscle definition and personality in the face while still staying true to the overall look and spirit of the original. Hopefully this will also help show her as more of the capable fighter that she is.”
This process has been a welcome challenge for all of us on the World of Warcraft art team. We’ve all wanted to address the player models and bring them up to a more current fidelity for some time now, and we’re as excited as you are to get these models into the game. We hope you’ll enjoy this series as we invite you to meet the team and see more on our development process.

Thanks so much, and see you next time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:49:47 PM by Simond »

Wizgar
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: January 23, 2014, 01:04:43 PM

I'll say it again just because: They could remodel everything except my character's head into an untextured skeleton and it would probably take me six months to notice. I guess NPCs will look nicer. The ones not wearing too much armor, that is. If you zoom in enough to care how many polygons go into their hair or whatever.

Who am I kidding? What a complete waste of resources. No new race, no new class, but they had time for this? Jesus.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #236 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:23 PM

The reduction in hip size should make gaming news.  Let's see if it does.

The old models bordered on almost looking like normal, attractive women.  The new ones look like Disney princesses. 
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: January 23, 2014, 03:21:59 PM

The proportions are identical, you're being fooled by the posing.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #238 on: January 23, 2014, 03:33:24 PM

What you’re looking at here for the Human female is a single face option and a single skin tone on the base model without any animation or posing. When developing the base model we keep the expression on the face as devoid of emotion or expression as possible, as that allows our animators a greater range of motion when they start posing and morphing the face into different expressions. If we were to put any amount of expression—even a slight smile or mildly angry eyebrows—in the base model, that would carry through to every animation, and we'd end up with some very confused-looking characters.

They might want to take a second look at that lady up there, then. She is totally smiling.

That said, it's a good looking model and I'm glad they mostly kept the same body type for her. Also no matter how tarted up tech-wise they make that one style with the bangs, it always looks stupid. So that's nice too!

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: January 23, 2014, 03:38:23 PM

I'll say it again just because: They could remodel everything except my character's head into an untextured skeleton and it would probably take me six months to notice. I guess NPCs will look nicer. The ones not wearing too much armor, that is. If you zoom in enough to care how many polygons go into their hair or whatever.

Who am I kidding? What a complete waste of resources. No new race, no new class, but they had time for this? Jesus.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:01:07 PM by Simond »

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #240 on: January 23, 2014, 03:42:58 PM

I really hope there is an eye size slider so things can be brought down below "anime saucer plates".
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: January 23, 2014, 03:53:53 PM

There will be no sliders.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #242 on: January 23, 2014, 05:24:14 PM

I really hope there is an eye size slider so things can be brought down below "anime saucer plates".

Yeah that's the part that gets me.  The eyes were that big on the original model because the texture resolution was lower.  They can tone it down a bit now.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #243 on: January 23, 2014, 05:25:26 PM

Boy are you guys going to hate Wildstar's models.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #244 on: January 23, 2014, 05:29:01 PM

Boy are you guys going to hate Wildstar's models.

Heh yep.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor  
Jump to: