Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: WHOA THEY'RE DOING IT 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHOA THEY'RE DOING IT  (Read 23015 times)
schild
Administrator

on: September 17, 2013, 11:11:52 AM

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/

When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a convenient and secure system for trades. But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot. With that in mind, we want to let everyone know that we've decided to remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III.

We feel that this move along with the Loot 2.0 system being developed concurrently with Reaper of Souls™ will result in a much more rewarding game experience for our players.

We're working out the details of how the auction house system will be shut down, but we wanted to share the news as soon as we made the decision in order to give everyone as much advance notice as possible. Please note that the shutdown will occur on March 18, 2014. We will keep everyone informed as we work through this process.
Josh Mosqueira and I wanted to provide everyone with a little more information behind this decision, so please have a look at the video, and stay tuned to this site for further updates in the months ahead.

Well then, they better have fixed the loot system.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:18:35 AM

FINE WHATEVER

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:19:37 AM

Isn't Loot 2.0 basically the console version loot? That seems to be working okay.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:19:57 AM

Comes about three months too late as I already announced I'm done with Blizzard.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 11:20:25 AM

Yeah, the console version of D3 is actually quite good. I played the demo and was kind of surprised by how differently it plays. The Less Loot But Better Loot works out pretty well there.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:20:35 AM

Duse, you spent like $300+ on the Diablo 3 auction house. Blizzard doesn't care if they don't get any more of your time or money.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:52 AM

Duse, you spent like $300+ on the Diablo 3 auction house. Blizzard doesn't care if they don't get any more of your time or money.

Right, I mean they are adding that, per the very end of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vTeJOqO0Tbg

These people:
1. Sound medicated or stupid
2. Believe we give a shit about story
3. Kiss my ass

I made it about 45 seconds in.  Sorry.

Why apologize? It was a pretty terrible presentation, but that's what happens when you let designers do marketing.

I really do try to be thorough, but I failed.

I don't have a concise statement on why the base mechanics are dumb, and I think others have mostly covered it in one way or another, but fixing loot isn't going to fix the game.  I suppose that I could say: I don't have anything much to think about in D3 except which skills I should have on at any time.  I certainly don't have to think about equipment, I just need the largest numerals in the display to be as high as possible.  Is there some benefit to collecting a set of equipment other than the main rating of each?  I've been playing too much PoE to remember how items work in D3.  I think with magic find being removed (still? I forget) I won't even have to worry about the one thing I cared about outside ARMOR/DPS.  Just BIG NUMBERS, BIG PRIZES, I LOVE IT.  That's a different game, though.

1.  The lack of the 'ping' sound when rings dropped in Diablo 3 was a deafening silence.  Just about emotionally crippling for me.

I feel that this is really one of the major things wrong with D3.  Don't laugh.  I mean that the fact that the designers left it out speaks fucking volumes.  Volumes!

PoE has implemented some distinct drop sounds to go along with their interesting item scheme.

It's thematic to the game.  It would be like if the next Warcraft game didn't have the orcs and elves say funny little things when you clicked on them.  I also think the cartoony art style they borrowed from WoW, while looking good on its own merits, doesn't fit thematically with Diablo.  I looked at Diablo 3 and said, hey, this looks like WoW: ARPG.  Fans and detractors of the look mostly focused on whether it looked bad or good, whether it was "dark enough" or "too bright."  Okay.  But as a fan of the first two Diablos, it doesn't feel like Diablo.  I think it's difficult to have a mature serious game about killing Satan that looks cartoony.  It's thematically jarring.  And all of these little things on their own people may say aren't a big deal, but it adds up.  

Plus Auction House.  I can't believe nobody at Blizz predicted there was a good chance the AH would hurt the game.  It could only be a naked cash grab.  For pete's sake, it isn't a huge deductive l;eap when you're designing a game and testing a game, to say, "hey, this game we're making that's all about acquiring items? A universal AH can only ensure that the items individuals find will never be as good as those collectively found and posted to the AH, thus reducing the game to a boring grind for gold...to buy items in a boring arms length transaction that feels like work while you wonder if you actually got screwed because you have a job and don't know the current FMV of The Burning Axe of Sankis."

Ultimately, people with jobs and weak moral compasses like me then go on a massive ill advised shopping spree on the RMAH and get grief titled.  Then they're done with the game because all it took to win the game was a bottle of vodka, bad impulse control, and $800 or so dollars.  So okay, Blizz made another $80 dollars off of me.  Congrats. Tip o' the cap.  But now I'm done with Diablo 3 and done with Blizzard and I'm on the internet talking shit.  They'll PROBABLY survive as a company but as a result, how many people are totally in on the next Blizz game? 

The health globes that spawned from killing monsters were also dumb and made the game feel arcadey.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:22:46 AM

I actually liked the health globe/potion change. Made the game more about thinking on your feet for individual encounters than bringing enough potions.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 11:24:40 AM

I actually liked the health globe/potion change. Made the game more about thinking on your feet for individual encounters than bringing enough potions.

Thinking on your feet to me is about judicious resource management, not killing as quickly as possible to spawn more health globes.  It doesn't make sense even in the retarded internal fantasy logic of the game.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:44 AM

Boo! The problem was not that there was an AH, the problem was that the loot sucked, so AH was the only sane route. They better have something in mind to replace it, cause I am not going to go back to spamming fucking trade chat. The dumb part is they are already locking all the new tailored drops to your account, just like they did the crafted items, so half of the shit you find won't even be tradable anyway.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 11:27:37 AM

Can't believe they're actually removing it. Ballsy.

Looking forward to the expansion at this point, they're clearly willing to make some massive changes to improve the game, even if it hurts their wallet.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 11:30:27 AM

This is really the one move they could have made to bring me back.  Not back to D3 mind you, that chapter of my life is forever closed.  But it is actually a fairly ballsy move, even if it was the only thing they could do to save their game in the face of low concurrent playerbase and resoundingly shitty word of mouth.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:19 AM

Boo! The problem was not that there was an AH, the problem was that the loot sucked, s

Those two things are inexorably intertwined.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 11:41:44 AM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 11:42:46 AM

What is this - it's not April 1st, is it? awesome, for real

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 11:47:17 AM

Yes, globes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> potions.

I don't really care about the AH change one way or the other. It never had much of an impact on my play (and yes I finished Inferno.)

Isn't Loot 2.0 basically the console version loot? That seems to be working okay.

It isn't, no. It's an overhaul to itemization entirely.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 11:49:29 AM

Yeah, I never had a real big problem with the AH. I used the Gold AH a little bit.

But, I'm guessing Reaper will be out right around then. This sounds like a launch patch or pre launch patch.

beer geek.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:50 AM

Now what (beside Loot 2.0)? Possible new "currency" (or more than one) like it happens in PoE?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 11:54:24 AM

Man I wish there was a place I could just buy some decent items so I could advance to the next part of this game.

-Diablo Gamers March 19th 2014.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 11:55:01 AM

I've made my money on it so I'm fine with the change. I cashed out about a month ago, but tbh the markets have completely crashed and inflation was so out of control the system was going to collapse anyway.

They'll open the door again to 3rd party, but who cares. At this point the RMAH and AH simply weren't feasible if you wanted to have a real game.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 12:16:08 PM

Horry Shieet. I wonder if this was some genuine change of heart that was greenlit because of the expansion coming up, or a reaction to some kind of internal numbers?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 12:25:38 PM

Horry Shieet. I wonder if this was some genuine change of heart that was greenlit because of the expansion coming up, or a reaction to some kind of internal numbers?

What do you mean by internal numbers? Like what Paelos was saying re: the economy completely crashing+inflation?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 12:30:25 PM

Basically; that and player numbers.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 12:51:08 PM

I might actually go for a second playthrough now. Whoah.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 12:56:16 PM

What do you mean by internal numbers? Like what Paelos was saying re: the economy completely crashing+inflation?

How about 'internal numbers' like "What do you MEAN we have to send w4s* to 13,000 people because of the RMT AH!?"

* (Yes, I'm sure I have the wrong form number)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 01:01:23 PM

Holy shitballs.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 01:18:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_lFbdP8xMU

EDIT: For a serious answer.  I'm happy to see it go, basically, as it indicates they are serious about fixing loot. I do hope, however, that they add some proper chat channels and/or the ability to create named lobbies/have them appear on a list in order to facilitate trading.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:21:08 PM by Malakili »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 01:51:14 PM

I might actually play past a single normal difficulty game.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 02:01:29 PM

Now they need to make all of the best items account-bind-on-pickup so that all you can do is trade them to your other characters.  With the AH gone there's no reason to even let people do selling via spam or 3rd party websites.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 02:07:26 PM

Now they need to make all of the best items account-bind-on-pickup so that all you can do is trade them to your other characters.  With the AH gone there's no reason to even let people do selling via spam or 3rd party websites.

No. ACK!

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:43 PM

Don't be shocked if that's exactly what they do.  They don't like 3rd parties making money off their games.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 02:12:40 PM

Sorry if this has already been covered, but are they nixing the "always online" requirement, too?  The RMAH was the main justification I heard for it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 02:15:57 PM

Don't be shocked if that's exactly what they do.  They don't like 3rd parties making money off their games.

I'll be shocked if they do.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 02:22:14 PM

This is very good news, if they fix up the loot drops.  Having said that, I still won't be buying the xpac on Day One, I'll wait this time and see how it rolls out.

Can anyone reach Jay Wilson for a comment?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 02:24:00 PM

Let's not forget that the AH hasn't always been a well-oiled machine that is immune to abuse.  I do like how they aren't really admitting they were wrong, though.  Ten points to Slitherin for that one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: WHOA THEY'RE DOING IT  
Jump to: