Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls  (Read 372983 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: September 12, 2013, 03:34:27 PM

You guys are missing the point. Debating the merits of full-priced box release(s) or no is nice, but irrelevant, if the games are shit.

Well, Starcraft 2 is the best RTS released in a long time.  Granted, I understand that some people don't like that style RTS.  But it is pretty much the best executed one in years and years. 

The SC2 expansion packs are $40 and I expect Reaper of Souls will be the same, so about 2/3 of "full box price" which isn't outlandish for an expansion pack in my opinion. 

I've easily gotten my money's worth out of the recent Blizzard releases, including Diablo 3.  In terms of gaming value for my dollar the only thing that has been equal in the last few years is probably Civ 5 and Counter Strike: GO (which I have played a lot and I think was $15). 

But once Hex comes out every purchase comes with a "This could have been X more drafts" caveat, so we'll see.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: September 12, 2013, 03:59:33 PM

Because 100 more pages of 'I don't know if you've heard, but the loot in Diablo 3 kind of sucks' would be totally preferable.

lol.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #247 on: September 12, 2013, 06:02:15 PM

You guys are missing the point. Debating the merits of full-priced box release(s) or no is nice, but irrelevant, if the games are shit.

Well, Starcraft 2 is the best RTS released in a long time.  Granted, I understand that some people don't like that style RTS.  But it is pretty much the best executed one in years and years. 

The SC2 expansion packs are $40 and I expect Reaper of Souls will be the same, so about 2/3 of "full box price" which isn't outlandish for an expansion pack in my opinion. 

I've easily gotten my money's worth out of the recent Blizzard releases, including Diablo 3.  In terms of gaming value for my dollar the only thing that has been equal in the last few years is probably Civ 5 and Counter Strike: GO (which I have played a lot and I think was $15). 

But once Hex comes out every purchase comes with a "This could have been X more drafts" caveat, so we'll see.

Correction - it is the ONLY rts to be released in a long time.

Having said that, you got as much value out of Civ5 as you did out of D3? Really?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: September 12, 2013, 06:04:56 PM

I've gotten a lot more value/fun from Civ V than D3. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: September 12, 2013, 07:34:20 PM

Correction - it is the ONLY rts to be released in a long time.

The Supreme Commander Games, Dawn of War 2, Sins of a Solar Empire Series, C&C 4, RUSE, World in Conflict, etc.  

I'd be willing to say its the only ultimately relevant RTS to be released in a long time, but still, there have been a bunch of them.

As for the last bit, I don't get your point.  I've played a lot of Civ 5 and a lot of Diablo 3, is that really remarkable?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: September 12, 2013, 08:13:44 PM

rolleyes

You said it yourself; obviously it was the only rts which mattered. Rest of the ones you listed were crap and/or inconsequential and you know it.

And yea, it is remarkable that you spent as much time playing Civ5 as you did D3. Ergo my surprise.

schild
Administrator

Reply #251 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:01 PM

The only person on Earth that should play as much Civ 5 as they did Diablo 3 is the most ultimate neckbeard, Sky. The Lumberbeard himself.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: September 12, 2013, 08:28:33 PM

Quiet you.

schild
Administrator

Reply #253 on: September 12, 2013, 08:47:17 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: September 12, 2013, 08:47:46 PM

I spent more time playing Civ 4 than I did Diablo 3, does that count?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #255 on: September 12, 2013, 08:49:02 PM

no
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:52 PM

I've played more Civ V than Diablo 3. But I did get Civ 5 for free, don't own Diablo 3, and it was only 5 mins difference, so...
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #257 on: September 12, 2013, 10:11:17 PM

I won cuz I didn't buy D3.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:26 PM

I won cuz I didn't buy D3.

I won too, because I got D3 free for playing WoW for a year... oh wait, I still lost. embarassed

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: September 13, 2013, 01:04:51 AM

I've played far more of Civ 5 than I did Diablo 3 - why wouldn't I? It's a far superior game right now given its had two expansions and numerous patches.

Maybe D3 will recover and become a brilliant game like Civ 5 did, but right now one is a game I would recommend to anyone vaguely interested in strategy games and one is a game I use as a moral lesson for the downfall of great companies.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: September 13, 2013, 04:29:49 AM

rolleyes

You said it yourself; obviously it was the only rts which mattered. Rest of the ones you listed were crap and/or inconsequential and you know it.

And yea, it is remarkable that you spent as much time playing Civ5 as you did D3. Ergo my surprise.

Civ 5 is one of the top games played on steam day after day and has been since release.  Not sure what it is surprising at all that people have sunk lots of hours into it.  But whatever, you seem to be arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:39:56 AM by Malakili »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #261 on: September 13, 2013, 06:37:12 AM

I'm confused, am I supposed to dislike CivV or prefer DIII over it?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #262 on: September 13, 2013, 06:43:16 AM

I didn't like Civ 5 all that much. It had it's moments, but it felt too repetitive and I didn't like the way they went with buildings.

I've dumped hundreds of hours into D3 and probably pulled out $200 over what I bought it for, so it's been worth it in my book.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #263 on: September 13, 2013, 06:45:42 AM

You mean into the AH, right?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #264 on: September 13, 2013, 07:07:34 AM

No I play too. While my stuff is selling.  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: September 13, 2013, 07:51:56 AM

Dancing Monkey :  Reaper of Auction House.

Doesn't really have the same ring.

But then neither did the game.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #266 on: September 13, 2013, 11:56:09 AM

rolleyes

The Supreme Commander games *could* have been relevant, they were just executed badly. But add me to the list of people who isn't sure exactly what point you're trying to make here, but I liked both games and have plenty of hours in each.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: September 14, 2013, 03:13:00 AM

I've played more Civ V than Diablo 3. But I did get Civ 5 for free, don't own Diablo 3, and it was only 5 mins difference, so...
I've played more Diablo 3 than Civ V. But I did get D3 for free, don't own Civ V and it was only 5 mins difference, so....

Civ V was shit, D3 was just disappointing is what I'm saying.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #268 on: September 14, 2013, 03:38:05 AM

Have you played it since the expansions?  It was indeed shit at release.  Now I think its one of the best in the entire franchise.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: September 14, 2013, 04:56:16 AM

So are you saying that people shouldn't have judged D3 until the expansion was released?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: September 14, 2013, 07:09:56 AM

Civ 5 was 'fixed' before the expansions. The expansions made it great, but as a game they patched away the fundamental issues before its release. They improved the AI, they made terrain resources count (even adding in a new resource and building), they made buildings worth building, fixed the ICS flaw and addressed a ton of other minor issues.

Blizzard have also patched the hell out of D3, but the fundamental issues around loot and progression remain. I'm not sure they can ever be fixed with the current weapon system but the expansion seems to be an all out attempt.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #271 on: September 14, 2013, 12:57:27 PM

I said Civ 5 was shit on day 1 and nobody would cop to it.  Now the conventional wisdom is that it WAS shit but is now cool.  I'm almost tempted to go back and try it again but I just think there were too many core design failures to make that game compelling.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #272 on: September 14, 2013, 02:50:43 PM

What the hell are you talking about? Nobody would cop to it? My recollection is the thread was one giant circle jerk for 4/FFH, with only a few people (me for one) liking V.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: September 14, 2013, 03:12:43 PM

I said Civ 5 was shit on day 1 and nobody would cop to it.  Now the conventional wisdom is that it WAS shit but is now cool.  I'm almost tempted to go back and try it again but I just think there were too many core design failures to make that game compelling.

Not true.  We started playing it around page 17 of this thread and we all seemed to like it initially.  My first bitch was about Diplomacy on page 18.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: September 14, 2013, 05:34:15 PM

I played way more Civ V than D3. I am a little ashamed of my Civ V hours played.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: September 15, 2013, 03:13:52 AM

What the hell are you talking about? Nobody would cop to it? My recollection is the thread was one giant circle jerk for 4/FFH, with only a few people (me for one) liking V.

Indeed I think it was just you and me who still enjoyed the game on release. From my perspective it started good and just got a hell of a lot better, to the point where I can comfortably say its the best version of Civ made.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: September 16, 2013, 04:56:31 AM

So' how's the loot in Civ 5?

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #277 on: September 16, 2013, 05:32:37 AM

Indeed I think it was just you and me who still enjoyed the game on release. From my perspective it started good and just got a hell of a lot better, to the point where I can comfortably say its the best version of Civ made.

No, there were more than just you two.  My direct quote in the FFH thread was, "It's enjoyable it just isn't civs."  Which it wasn't fully until they added the missing pieces of espionage and religion.  The remaining changes are nice twists that have improved the game.  I was always a fan of removing the "stack 'o doom"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06:02 AM

So, how about those reaping souls, eh ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #279 on: September 16, 2013, 07:21:33 AM

Civilization V:  Reaper of Diablo players.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls  
Jump to: