Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  (Read 213939 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 02:17:50 PM

Also Games for Windows Live is being shuttered, which apparently will render some games that use it unable to save progress or buy content now.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 02:27:33 PM

Also Games for Windows Live is being shuttered, which apparently will render some games that use it unable to save progress or buy content now.

Underscoring my deep hatred for these DRM schemes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 06:54:23 PM

Are you sure? The GFW Marketplace  is being shuttered, along with similar Xbox stuff, but I haven't heard of GFWL, the authentication service, being closed.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 07:15:50 PM

I'm pretty sure it's breaking the GFWL stuff period. Age of Empires online for example is gutted by it; you won't even be able to save your game anymore unless they fix it.

Seems like the whole thing to me.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 07:30:02 PM

"1/3 of titles announced are brand new franchises"

So much wrong in one statement. So much.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 08:29:18 PM

"1/3 of titles announced are brand new franchises"

So much wrong in one statement. So much.

Agreed.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 08:55:03 PM

Death of GFWL means I might buy dark souls... and I think there were one or two other titles with the same infection I wanted.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:38 PM

Didn't Fallout 3 require GFWL as well? I think that's the game that made me install it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 11:19:51 PM

Fuck GFWL . I hope it never makes a return. EVER.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 11:28:01 PM

One year from now? Aww nuts, I was hoping they'd shut it down right now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 12:17:48 AM

I'm less hyped for the XBone than I was for the Wii.

Edit: Also, GFWL. Surely the shit-addled spark that ignited the idea of Origin. Burn it all down. All of it.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 01:56:03 AM

There was a video of the "Fighter Within" Kinect XB1 game from Gamescom that was up for about 10 minutes and is now made private. It's exactly what you'd expect from a Kinect fighting game - a completely unresponsive laggy mess.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 02:23:25 AM

What is it with these new 'interactive' gameplay bullshit that most companies don't realize will not sell at all?
How much money do they have to waste before they realized they can't turn a turd into gold.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 05:11:50 AM

Didn't Fallout 3 require GFWL as well? I think that's the game that made me install it.

Not that I recall, but Warhammer 40k does.  I think Bioshock did as well which was what got me to pull the trigger, but this list isn't clear on which required it and which just had features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_titles

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #49 on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:18 AM

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/28/us-nintendo-pricecut-idUSBRE97R0U920130828

$50 Price cut for the WiiU, and a new weirdass version of the 3DS literally called the 2DS. It's the 3DS with the 3d portion stripped out. Fucking lol

Japanese game maker Nintendo Co will launch a new and inexpensive handheld gaming device and offer a $50 price cut for its 32GB Wii U console in North America and Europe this holiday season in a bid to reverse weak sales and woo gamers back to its offerings.

Dubbed the "2DS" and priced at $129.99, the new addition to Nintendo's 3DS range will go on sale on October 12 and play 3DS and DS games with 2D graphics, as its name suggests...

...To boost Wii U sales, the company will sell its 32GB deluxe version for $299.99, down from $349.99 starting September 20, Fils-Aime said.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #50 on: August 28, 2013, 10:02:06 AM

It's not just a 3DS with no 3D -- it's flat like a tablet, not a clam shell.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #51 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:19 AM

Hmm.  Whatever.

This is probably a good thread to complain about MS converting my Family Pack to individual Gold accounts.  There are quite a few Q and A pairs in the FAQ, but like most FAQs it should be called "Frequently Answered Questions" because I'm left to assume that I'll now be paying for three separate Gold accounts instead of the somewhat-cheaper Family Pack.  Or will I just cancel one or two?  I suppose it depends on if the canceled account can play local co-op or not.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:35:34 AM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 28, 2013, 10:36:19 AM

I don't understand...they're designing a DS handheld for pre-7 year old that can play all of the games, if not a majority of them designed for, the 7+ year old crowd.  This just seems silly.

Side note: Wind Waker HD's getting a week head-start for digital download sales  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #53 on: August 28, 2013, 10:37:21 AM

I don't understand...

Some people don't like 3D or don't want to pay a lot for a handheld.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 28, 2013, 10:47:25 AM

That sounds like something up my alley, but I still want the clamshell design to protect the screens.  Why can't they just rip the 3D out of the 3DS chassis and sell that instead?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #55 on: August 28, 2013, 10:49:06 AM

I thought the same thing but quickly decided that it is cheaper to manufacture without the hinges.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #56 on: August 28, 2013, 05:22:11 PM

I thought the same thing but quickly decided that it is cheaper to manufacture without the hinges.

One review implied that it was using a single LCD panel with the bezel maintaining the classic 2-display look.  A single panel design probably is simpler in quantity (minimizes control logic, power supply, flex or wire harness, etc) and would, of course, make a hinge unworkable. 
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 07:28:34 PM

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/28/us-nintendo-pricecut-idUSBRE97R0U920130828
Dubbed the "2DS" and priced at $129.99, the new addition to Nintendo's 3DS range will go on sale on October 12 and play 3DS and DS games with 2D graphics, as its name suggests...

...To boost Wii U sales, the company will sell its 32GB deluxe version for $299.99, down from $349.99 starting September 20, Fils-Aime said.
[/quote]

It's as if they're taking ideas directly from gamefaqs forums at this point.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #58 on: August 29, 2013, 03:43:17 AM

My favorite thing about the WiiU Price Drop is that Iwata insisted like...a week ago that the price was not the issue. Welp!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #59 on: August 29, 2013, 09:46:24 AM

He did make a compelling argument.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 29, 2013, 05:07:31 PM

Not that I recall, but Warhammer 40k does. 

Fallout 3 is in the 2008 section. 10 down
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:27 PM

My favorite thing about the WiiU Price Drop is that Iwata insisted like...a week ago that the price was not the issue. Welp!

I think that when the library of games is as restricted as it is, then price is an issue automatically.  I read something yesterday about the Madden 25 anniversary edition, and there was a throwaway comment about how they didn't bother to create a version for Nintendo this time around.  When the ultimate example of copy/paste shovelware can't be arsed to make a version for your console, you are in deep shit.  I was kind of aghast.  What it boils down to, then, is that if the console in question only has a limited number of 1st party games that are worth a damn, then it costs me more as a gamer.  The more games you get to experience on the console, the more value you get from that console.

I am thinking about getting a Wii U; for the Wind Waker remake, for whatever new Zelda game is coming next year, for Mario Kart.  I suspect that there will be far too many 3rd party titles that I will want that will NOT be coming out on Wii U (the Madden example is not one of them) and I will end up buying one of the other next gen consoles as well.  That makes the Wii U really fucking expensive.  Price is a huge issue.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 10:32:09 AM

I don't recall having to have a GFWA account when I played and a quick search seems to indicate it was a later edition to the game and that it can also be disabled.  In 40k it can't be.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:17 AM

I think it was disabled in the Steam version due to the crashes it caused.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 30, 2013, 11:08:17 AM

I don't recall having to have a GFWA account when I played and a quick search seems to indicate it was a later edition to the game and that it can also be disabled.  In 40k it can't be.
I bought the physical box CE for Fallout 3 at launch and had to use GFWL.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 11:09:53 AM

I remember using it.  And I have it on Steam.  But that could have been purchased later (for pennies). undecided  Not that I'm ever going to play Fallout 3 again, anyhow.  I liked it, but if I'm going to replay a recent Fallout, it's going to be New Vegas.   In fact, I just might once my new PC is assembled.  All of this talk is making me want to play.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:11:28 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #66 on: September 04, 2013, 07:20:58 AM

XBONE dropping Nov 22 (US) and PS4 dropping Nov 15 (US).

If anyone cares.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #67 on: September 04, 2013, 10:02:55 AM

Has anyone quipped "a week late and a hundred dollars short yet"?  Phew.

There was one of those news articles today where the press basically just quotes a company's press release, it was about how Microsoft had "sold out" of preorder machines.  Can I assume this has more to do with their manufacturing troubles limiting the supply than a huge number of actual preorders?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 10:19:25 AM

The important question is, will my weeaboo games be on the PS4?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 11:36:23 AM

The Xbox One also I guess got a slight clockspeed boost from 1.6ghz to 1.75.

Nice but a lot of the "inside rumor" stuff suggested Microsoft was having heat issues with the One so who knows?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  
Jump to: