Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 283081 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 25, 2013, 09:11:08 AM

I think we'd all like to see Superman team up with Burka Avenger to take on the Taliban  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: July 25, 2013, 09:43:22 AM

Wait, He-Man can beat Superman ?

How does that work ?  Eternian Sun not Yellow enough ?

He-Man's strength comes from a magical source, Castle Greyskull. Superman is vulnerable to magic, so yea. If He-Man punched Superman, he'd hurt him.

Yep same reason Supes has problems fighting Captain Marvel.

I get the superman is weak against magical sources. I get that he-man's strength comes from magic but....what exactly about a punch is magical? Is superman reall so lame he has DR 100/magic and he-man's fists count as +1?

I didn't know about the Magic (not caring at all about Superman) and I was applying this logic to it.  I feel enlightened now.

Kinda.

Earlier on in the comic Skelator swipes at Superman and cuts him, establishing that Eternian magic swords can hurt superman. Its also how Skelator gains control of Superman.

From this review of the comic if you are that curious. With more hot Super on Heman action.

http://www.needlessthingssite.com/2010/06/he-man-versus-superman-comic-book.html

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 26, 2013, 03:24:37 AM

There are different levels of preposterous, and the further you dig into those comics, the more preposterous things get.  It is already silly to talk about who would win between the movie level versions (the A level Canon).  It is even more ridiculous to take the comic book canon and do the same thing, though I can see why some people would have fun with it.  But then to look at something like the totally pants-on-head abomination of a Superman who somehow visits Eternia and fights Skeletor and He-Man...there is no sane reason to do this other than to make fun of it.  The whole idea is retarded beyond imagination.  Just because the same company might be behind them doesn't mean we have to become insane and actually pretend that they have anything to do with each other.  Might as well ask who would win in a fight between Mara Jade and a very angry Donald Duck.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 26, 2013, 09:34:51 AM

Might as well ask who would win in a fight between Mara Jade and a very angry Donald Duck.
Donald effing Duck, of course. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #74 on: July 26, 2013, 09:45:08 AM

No, no, no.  Mara would use Sith Mind tricks to control Judge Doom. Then Donald would be dead!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #75 on: July 26, 2013, 10:56:09 AM

The real question is who would win if Mara Jade were in a tank and Donald Duck were in a mech.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #76 on: July 26, 2013, 07:37:00 PM

No, no, no.  Mara would use Sith Mind tricks to control Judge Doom. Then Donald would be dead!

Anger leads to hate and hate leads to the Dark Side. Who's got more anger than old-school Donald Duck? The powers of Judge Doom are nothing compared to a Category 5 Force Lightning Storm arising from Donald!

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 26, 2013, 08:59:00 PM

Anger leads to hate and hate leads to the Dark Side. Who's got more anger than old-school Donald Duck? The powers of Judge Doom are nothing compared to a Category 5 Force Lightning Storm arising from Donald!
Look, if you're not going to be serious about this, then pipe down. 

Donald.

Fing.

Duck.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 26, 2013, 09:05:05 PM

Ok, technically not donald duck, but still...

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #79 on: July 26, 2013, 10:59:00 PM

Racist.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 27, 2013, 09:50:14 AM

That's just not final art.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 27, 2013, 10:16:02 AM

Dude.  Darkwing Duck is no Donald.  Fing.  Duck.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: July 27, 2013, 05:36:43 PM

There are different levels of preposterous, and the further you dig into those comics, the more preposterous things get.  It is already silly to talk about who would win between the movie level versions (the A level Canon).  It is even more ridiculous to take the comic book canon and do the same thing, though I can see why some people would have fun with it.  But then to look at something like the totally pants-on-head abomination of a Superman who somehow visits Eternia and fights Skeletor and He-Man...there is no sane reason to do this other than to make fun of it.  The whole idea is retarded beyond imagination.  Just because the same company might be behind them doesn't mean we have to become insane and actually pretend that they have anything to do with each other. 

I pulled out the He-Man comic because it's fucking awesometerrible. If you want a more "canon" example, how about-

Dr. Fate
Zatana
Etrigan
Captain Marvel

or any other of the DC universe's magical superheroes and villains? I'd be fucking shocked if Batman didn't have a section of the Batcave packed with magic junk at this point.

Might as well ask who would win in a fight between Mara Jade and a very angry Donald Duck.

This what all these discussions boil down to anyway. Just because Batman is a little more realistic than Optimus Prime, doesn't make Batman any more plausible.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 27, 2013, 08:58:56 PM

At this point, I do believe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBK31tC5QM is totally relivant to the topic at hand.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 28, 2013, 11:48:12 PM

There are different levels of preposterous, and the further you dig into those comics, the more preposterous things get.  It is already silly to talk about who would win between the movie level versions (the A level Canon).  It is even more ridiculous to take the comic book canon and do the same thing, though I can see why some people would have fun with it.  But then to look at something like the totally pants-on-head abomination of a Superman who somehow visits Eternia and fights Skeletor and He-Man...there is no sane reason to do this other than to make fun of it.  The whole idea is retarded beyond imagination.  Just because the same company might be behind them doesn't mean we have to become insane and actually pretend that they have anything to do with each other. 

I pulled out the He-Man comic because it's fucking awesometerrible. If you want a more "canon" example, how about-

Dr. Fate
Zatana
Etrigan
Captain Marvel

or any other of the DC universe's magical superheroes and villains? I'd be fucking shocked if Batman didn't have a section of the Batcave packed with magic junk at this point.

This what all these discussions boil down to anyway. Just because Batman is a little more realistic than Optimus Prime, doesn't make Batman any more plausible.

Sorry if it came across as an attack aimed at you personally, didn't mean it that way.  Here's what I do mean:  Batman versus Superman is a totally fair game, because they theoretically occupy the same logical universe.  The same cannot be said about He-Man and Superman.  They do not fit together in any sensible way, regardless of whatever ham-fisted story-telling is trying to be used to convince us otherwise.  The comic you brought out is indeed awesometerrible.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 29, 2013, 12:20:13 AM

Dr. Fate
Zatana
Etrigan
Captain Marvel

Sorry if it came across as an attack aimed at you personally, didn't mean it that way.  Here's what I do mean:  Batman versus Superman is a totally fair game, because they theoretically occupy the same logical universe.  The same cannot be said about He-Man and Superman.  They do not fit together in any sensible way, regardless of whatever ham-fisted story-telling is trying to be used to convince us otherwise.  The comic you brought out is indeed awesometerrible.

No sweat man.

I'm just trying to point out that Superman's vulerability to magic is a Thing, and it's been pretty consistent in the fiction. There's a whole swath of DC heroes (and villains) who could have a shot at Superman without using the green crutch. And in a versus scenario, it's not totally implausible for Batman to get ahold of some magic advantage to even the odds. Though it does bring in the magic aspect of the DC Universe, which would probably feel like a cop-out to moviegoers who aren't into the big morass of DC universe lore. "Batman borrowed a magic wand, WTF?"

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 29, 2013, 12:57:38 AM

Yeah, that's kinda how I look at it, too, to be honest.  If speculating what would happen in a MOVIE between these two, I think it best to stick to the movie canon.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:04 AM

Yeah, that's kinda how I look at it, too, to be honest.  If speculating what would happen in a MOVIE between these two, I think it best to stick to the movie canon.
... in which we have neither Magic or Kryptonite, yet.et.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 29, 2013, 10:10:37 PM

... in which we have neither Magic or Kryptonite, yet.et.

I haven't seen any of the newer movies, so I am considering the orignal stuff from the 80s to be fair game too.  ALL movie canon.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 13, 2013, 02:27:21 PM

Rumor is WB is offering ALL OF THE MONEY to Christian Bale.

BAD WB. *grabs the water bottle*

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 13, 2013, 03:12:52 PM

Idiots.

And Hollywood wonders why they aren't making money back on movies.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 13, 2013, 04:03:22 PM

My first reaction is how are they going to have a 'gimpy' Batman alongside Supes. 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 13, 2013, 04:15:24 PM

Dude got destroyed by a normal human thug, Bane.  What's he gonna do if he gets punched by anyone with any kind of super strength?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #93 on: August 13, 2013, 04:24:10 PM

He and Robin will be driving a Bat-Jaeger.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #94 on: August 13, 2013, 05:14:01 PM

Obviously Batman will see that what he needs to do is build a giant tank with a main gun that spews concrete filled with bits of Kryptonite all over the Fortress of Solitude, and will just bury Supes at the bottom of the Arctic ocean.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #95 on: August 13, 2013, 05:20:50 PM

That's a lot of concrete.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 13, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

An overkill. Just need flecks of concrete.

Not at all surprised about Bale offer though. Like I said earlier, they'd need to spend a good chunk of the movie, or even a new Batman movie, establish a not-Bale Batman. I'm sure on paper, the  business-types think they can save themselves much headaches this way.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 13, 2013, 06:00:00 PM

An overkill. Just need flecks of concrete.

Not at all surprised about Bale offer though. Like I said earlier, they'd need to spend a good chunk of the movie, or even a new Batman movie, establish a not-Bale Batman. I'm sure on paper, the  business-types think they can save themselves much headaches this way.

If they want to keep continuity, they use JGL. Otherwise they've undermined everything anyway, why not go with someone new and launch batman from this flick.

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: August 13, 2013, 06:32:19 PM

They need a new Batman.  They have to reboot a Batman that can actually hang with a new DC universe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #99 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:17 PM

Rumor is WB is offering ALL OF THE MONEY to Christian Bale.

BAD WB. *grabs the water bottle*

Wouldn't make sense unless it was for the Superman movie and Justice League. You don't pay that much to get him back for one movie and then risk having to get someone new for the movie they're putting in this effort to build up to.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 14, 2013, 02:43:03 AM

It makes absolutely no sense to try to hire Bale. This is a dumb story made up to generate page views.

Anyway, if they wanted to link it to dark knight they would be trying to hire JGL.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 14, 2013, 03:28:02 AM

You guys are over thinking.

I remember Velorath and I were discussing Avengers before it came out about how Thor would be part of the group. I said he would just be part of the group and his appearance would be explained in a single line of throwaway dialog like "welp we repaired the space bridge with space magic yay." Velorath argued that the Thor movie made a very big deal out of him being stuck on Asgard, and that there was no way they would make that a major plot point in Thor without addressing it in Avengers. Well...

I don't think Velorath was wrong in that yes, it was stupid that Avengers didn't address Thor's situation at all. (Or stupid to make that a major plot point in Thor if it was going to be immediately dismissed) But here's the thing - people want to see an Avengers movie. Marvel wants to make an Avengers movie. Neither group is interested in a "how does Thor get back to earth?" movie being the first half of Avengers.

The Batman films are the only good DC films and the most profitable. The reason to make a Batman vs Superman movie is to have Bale fight Superman. It doesn't matter if his back is broken or he has a gimpy leg or is retired - Bale fighting Superman puts dollar signs in the eyes of movie execs. JGL fighting Superman doesn't.

Here's the thing: if you cast Bale as Batman the movie is 100% guaranteed to make tons of money. Even if you pay Bale $100 million. Dark Knight Rises made a billion dollars box office WW. Almost everyone who saw DKR will see Bale Batman vs Superman, even if they don't like the idea.

Here's the other thing: nobody green lights a movie like Batman vs Superman because they think it will be a good movie. It's not because it has a great script, or even any script. It's a money making concept. If you want continuity maybe you get JGL but movie execs want money, not continuity. Movie execs also like prestige and the Nolan / Bale Batman movies are the only superhero movies they have that get any critical acclaim.

I bet every single time this movie comes up at WB the first question is "so do we have Bale as Batman?"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:32:33 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 14, 2013, 05:13:53 AM

It makes absolutely no sense to try to hire Bale.

You clearly do not deal with studio execs.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #103 on: August 14, 2013, 05:18:14 AM

I think my issue with the Avengers thing was honestly less of a problem with Avengers itself, and more just with the general issues like that which crop up when you're intertwining movies from a number of franchises all with different writers and directors, and the planning ahead of how everything links together is always in flux. That's how you get things like a major plot point at the end of Thor being a minor footnote the next time he shows up. Ideally I'd rather have had that shit cut out of Thor, not add more dialog and explanation to Avengers.

In this instance I get WB's point of view if they are in fact desperately trying to get back Bale or Nolan like the rumors constantly swirling around claim they are. They're less worried about story continuity, and more worried about the continuity of making billion dollar worldwide grossing movies. JGL as Batman is an unknown quantity to them. It gives them the negatives of locking into Nolan's continuity without any of the potential benefits (money). Batman as depicted there isn't a Justice League caliber. He's not the super-genius, prepared for every situation, World's Greatest Detective, Batman. JGL's character even less so. You can hand-wave all that away and just make him that guy, but then really, you might as well just go with a new actor as well.

Personally I think they'd be better off working on getting Nolan, because if the writer and director on this next movie are shit or even just average, Bale isn't going to save it any more than he did that last Terminator movie, and really in the best movie of the trilogy, Bale was practically a supporting role. Honestly though, I'm a huge fan of Nolan, and would rather see him do more original stuff rather than make more licensed stuff so I kinda hope they don't go that route.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #104 on: August 14, 2013, 05:22:15 AM

I don't agree with Margalis often, but he's 100% right here.

Execs don't care if a movie "Makes sense."  Only that it makes them money.  This is why we've seen nothing but an endless stream of superhero movies and sequels.  They're money makers.  When they stop making money, things will shift to whatever the next "Movie Bubble" will be.

Historic bubbles:
Epics, Westerns, Comedies, Dramas, 80's Action Movies, Late 70's/ Early 80's Fantasy, (current) Superheros.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: